Panasonic TZ8

david.hopcroft
6th January 2012, 20:39
I have a TZ8 which at 15 months old is now useless because the shutter cover mechanism, has failed in the half open position. I am pursuing this with Panasonic, but as I didn't take out an extended warranty (they are supposed to be good !) I will not be holding my breath.

So does anyone know how I might get the cover fully open so that I can at least keep it as spare and find a plastic lid that might fit it ?

David
+

Pat McCardle
6th January 2012, 22:01
Got home contents insurance? Put in a claim, tell them you accidentally knocked it off the table, or something similar.

Ron Stringer
6th January 2012, 22:49
May be worth a try here

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

Apparently the UK has dragged its heels (what a surprise) in clarifying the situation and so we do not automatically receive the benefits that other EU member enjoy.

Even the Daily Wail seems to approve of this bit of EU legislation.

Derek Roger
6th January 2012, 23:23
Might be worth a try just to post it to them and ask if the can fix it for a reasonable cost . They may well just send you a new one . Worth a try ???

Derek

jimthehat
6th January 2012, 23:52
I have the TZ 38 ,so far no problems ,fingers crossed.

jim

Pat McCardle
7th January 2012, 09:28
As with all digital cameras, beware of condensation.

david.hopcroft
7th January 2012, 20:31
I was told by Jessops - where I bought it - that it might be sand or grit - I live at the seaside !!

Jessops would send it off for assessment - 25 non refundable - plus repair costs.......... So that was their part of the equation seen to !

Panasonic have so far not responded to my offer to share the cost of a replcement.

David
+

macca57
7th January 2012, 21:21
[QUOTE=david.hopcroft;564452]I have a TZ8 which at 15 months old is now useless because the shutter cover mechanism, has failed in the half open position. I am pursuing this with Panasonic, but as I didn't take out an extended warranty (they are supposed to be good !) I will not be holding my breath.

So does anyone know how I might get the cover fully open so that I can at least keep it as spare and find a plastic lid that might fit it ?

David
Your camera is covered by an EU Warranty which covers electrical equipment for a period of six years.
I had an Olympus which failed after 15 months London Camera Exchange offered to send the camera off for repair, which I agreed, they wanted a fee on completion.
I wrote to Olympus claiming the camera was unfit for purpose and wanted it repaired at no charge.
After about 3 weeks got a phone call, saying camera would be at LCE for collection and there would be no charge.

John Rogers
8th January 2012, 19:22
If you bought it with your credit card that could also help you.

John

Dan.n
9th January 2012, 02:42
I bought a Panasonic DMC-ZS7 from Amazon and while under gaurantee the flash failed and after many emails and calls to Amazon I was told it was an import and not covered and finally gave up
Dan

david.hopcroft
9th January 2012, 20:41
Macca - Thanks for that. Will keep it in mind. And just sending it back too ! Still no response as of yesterday so I sent a reminder. You have to go through Panasonic's mail system from the website. Fill in one of those little boxes type of thing designed no doubt to make feel you 'can't be bothered'. You also have no record of what you send them, but I got round that by copy and paste before hitting 'submit'

David
+

John Rogers
10th January 2012, 21:59
I was reading some reviews about the ZS-8 and the ZS-9 camera from Panasonic and they seem to be having problems with lens not opening to dust, maybe you have the same problem with your camera.

John

david.hopcroft
11th January 2012, 20:49
John

Yes, that is possible. Also sand/grit was mentioned - I live at the seaside !!!

Meanwhile they have acknowledged my complaint, and are thinking about it. I await their reply.

David
+

John Rogers
11th January 2012, 21:20
I wish you all the luck in getting it fixed or a replacement.

John.

John Rogers
11th January 2012, 21:22
I bought a Panasonic DMC-ZS7 from Amazon and while under gaurantee the flash failed and after many emails and calls to Amazon I was told it was an import and not covered and finally gave up
Dan

What is not an import these days.Here in the states if we buy with a credit card we have more power to get the problem resolved.

John

david.hopcroft
24th January 2012, 20:34
The reply from Panasonic has been predictable. However thank you to those who thought the EU might come to my assistance. Panasonic included this in their reply. They also said my beef was with Jessops, but have already been there.

In regards to your comments on the European Parliment Directive to clarify, regrettably this is not legislation. It is a green paper in Europe (i.e. a proposal) which some countries have elected to adopt and some (including the UK) have not. The warranty terms within the UK are for 12 months. That is not with only Panasonic but with most other manufacturers. Even under warranty terms, a faulty product is not a replaceable item. The terms of warranty are that if a manufacturing fault is found, the manufacturer will cover the cost of parts and labour. The proposal to assist outside the 12 month warranty is a gesture of goodwill and Panasonic are in no way obliged to do so.

So there you have it. I still have a perfectly and even a very good camera for taking photographs. A pity a minor mechanical fault renders that impossible.

Savid
+

macca57
25th January 2012, 16:24
[QUOTE=david.hopcroft;570018]The reply from Panasonic has been predictable. However thank you to those who thought the EU might come to my assistance. Panasonic included this in their reply. They also said my beef was with Jessops, but have already been there.

In regards to your comments on the European Parliment Directive to clarify, regrettably this is not legislation. It is a green paper in Europe (i.e. a proposal) which some countries have elected to adopt and some (including the UK) have not. The warranty terms within the UK are for 12 months. That is not with only Panasonic but with most other manufacturers. Even under warranty terms, a faulty product is not a replaceable item. The terms of warranty are that if a manufacturing fault is found, the manufacturer will cover the cost of parts and labour. The proposal to assist outside the 12 month warranty is a gesture of goodwill and Panasonic are in no way obliged to do so.

So there you have it. I still have a perfectly and even a very good camera for taking photographs. A pity a minor mechanical fault renders that impossible.

Savid
David, take it up with trading standards, they advised me years ago about the six year rule.

david.hopcroft
3rd February 2012, 20:43
I am now waiting to see what level of 'support' Panasonic can offer after an inspection by my local authorised repair agent - who is 200 miles from me and so I suspect is their ONLY agent.

David
+

david.hopcroft
8th February 2012, 20:32
Well....... good news.

After following a cumbersome and obscure email trail with Panasonic that is surely designed to make you say ' Can't be bothered - forget it', I followed their advice and sent the TZ8 off to their authorised repair agent.

I am pleased to say that Panasonic covered the cost of parts and labour, and it was returned to me within a week. No parts required.

So thank you Panasonic.

David
+

david.hopcroft
10th February 2012, 12:16
I have to say I was quite impressed with the speedy service of the repair agent. For info they are.... www.dkavs.co.uk .......and you will see that they cover many makes of camera.

You register a repair request on their website
Send them the camera with the reg details
They estimate a repair charge and email you details
You can then decide if you want to go ahead
If not they will send it back 'as is' for 10.80

David
+