Captain Peter Brown

Tom Inglis
8th January 2012, 17:43
Gentlemen, I am very sad to inform you that Captain Peter Brown passed away in hospital in Salisbury this morning [Sunday 8th Jan]
Peter joined Blue Funnel as a Midshipman in 1957 and stayed with the company until it's final demise. He then sailed with a number of other lines until he retired to Salisbury.
A great supporter of Blue Funnel Association and Ocean Nestorian Association and a wonderful character, Peter will be greatly missed by all who knew him.
Peter was a member of SN .
Tom Inglis

DURANGO
8th January 2012, 18:58
Gentlemen, I am very sad to inform you that Captain Peter Brown passed away in hospital in Salisbury this morning [Sunday 8th Jan]
Peter joined Blue Funnel as a Midshipman in 1957 and stayed with the company until it's final demise. He then sailed with a number of other lines until he retired to Salisbury.
A great supporter of Blue Funnel Association and Ocean Nestorian Association and a wonderful character, Peter will be greatly missed by all who knew him.
Peter was a member of SN .
Tom Inglis I am so sad to hear this news I have been in touch with Peter for quite a few years now, we sailed together in the Pyrrhus back in 1966 at that time he was third mate and I was a.b on his watch ,a true gentleman god bless you Peter and your dear family Dave Smith .

R58484956
9th January 2012, 16:44
Condolences to the Captains family. RIP

utokin2
14th January 2012, 21:01
Hi all I had the pleasure of knowing this great seadog I live in salisbury and spent many a sunny afternoon with him in the spanish tappa bar in salisbury market. He bore his illness with dignity and Merchant Navy humour although he lost his voicebox to the cancer he still wrote notes or texted things to make us smile. I will miss swinging the lamp with the guy. Also his wife Pauline who has more sea time than some guys on these sites. The funeral details will be in The Salisbury Journal on Thursday 19th edition.
A good man

Tom Inglis
18th January 2012, 11:23
Hi all I had the pleasure of knowing this great seadog I live in salisbury and spent many a sunny afternoon with him in the spanish tappa bar in salisbury market. He bore his illness with dignity and Merchant Navy humour although he lost his voicebox to the cancer he still wrote notes or texted things to make us smile. I will miss swinging the lamp with the guy. Also his wife Pauline who has more sea time than some guys on these sites. The funeral details will be in The Salisbury Journal on Thursday 19th edition.
A good man

Funeral details as follows, Tuesday 24th January 1300 at the Salisbury Crematorium , Barrington Road [Off London Road] Salisbury SP1 3JB

Tom Inglis

utokin2
24th January 2012, 20:34
If anyone can go to a good funeral they are better men than me. Today I went to the send off of Peter and the service was moving and the words spoken about this man said it all.
The drink after the service was more like a get together than a wake and we downed a few rums to send him on his last trip
Big thanks from all my mates {who cannot use computers} to Pauline and the family, that was a good bad day and will be remembered by the big turnout for a long time.

Tom Inglis
25th January 2012, 16:51
If anyone can go to a good funeral they are better men than me. Today I went to the send off of Peter and the service was moving and the words spoken about this man said it all.
The drink after the service was more like a get together than a wake and we downed a few rums to send him on his last trip
Big thanks from all my mates {who cannot use computers} to Pauline and the family, that was a good bad day and will be remembered by the big turnout for a long time.

Hi Utokin2,
I was there too and you are right about never a "good" funeral, but Peter's day was perfectly done and Pauline , John and Lindsay did a great job, giving him a fine send off. He's crossed the bar and in calm waters now, bless him.
There were a few Bluey guys there. Myself, John MacGregor, Philip Wood and Brian Waters, that I know of but possibly others. He was a fine man and I am ever so glad that I made the journey from Hereford to Salisbury in mid December to spend a great day with Pete and Pauline reminiscing about the old days. He was in great spirits up to the end, with his everlasting sense of humour.
Certainly a life well worth celebrating . . . . . as we did.

Tom Inglis

utokin2
25th January 2012, 19:39
Hi Utokin2,
I was there too and you are right about never a "good" funeral, but Peter's day was perfectly done and Pauline , John and Lindsay did a great job, giving him a fine send off. He's crossed the bar and in calm waters now, bless him.
There were a few Bluey guys there. Myself, John MacGregor, Philip Wood and Brian Waters, that I know of but possibly others. He was a fine man and I am ever so glad that I made the journey from Hereford to Salisbury in mid December to spend a great day with Pete and Pauline reminiscing about the old days. He was in great spirits up to the end, with his everlasting sense of humour.
Certainly a life well worth celebrating . . . . . as we did.

Tom Inglis

Hi Tom
What a shame we did not meet up. The guys I was with and your crowd would probably still be at the wake.

dave hind
27th February 2012, 18:54
Only just seen this sad news I sailed with Peter at the time I think it was early 1958 great lad good fun all the time with Peter at that time we were both Middies RIP Peter God Bless