Bank Line Reunion 2012

Alistair Macnab
9th January 2012, 02:06
Time moves on and none of us is getting any younger! What do you say about making the 2012 Bank Line Reunion at the Bromsgrove Holiday Inn near Manchester on Saturday October 6th., a date that all of us who enjoy Ships Nostalgia can get together in the flesh, as it were, and have a good-old Bank Line party before we all fade away?

Many of us have never met but we all share the Bank Line experience. Sounds like a good idea to me and I am starting right now to save the bawbees in order to afford the flight from Houston (and back again - I hasten to add!)

Come on fellows! Let's surprise Brian and make this reunion a real hum-dinger! If we all put some friendly persuasion on our former shipmates we may even find some well-kent faces - some who haven't been to a reunion although not living too far away from Bromsgrove. If I plan to make it from this side of the Atlantic, what excuses can there be?

Let me have your input, please!
Alistair.

ianian
9th January 2012, 15:43
Time moves on and none of us is getting any younger! What do you say about making the 2012 Bank Line Reunion at the Bromsgrove Holiday Inn near Manchester on Saturday October 6th., a date that all of us who enjoy Ships Nostalgia can get together in the flesh, as it were, and have a good-old Bank Line party before we all fade away?

Many of us have never met but we all share the Bank Line experience. Sounds like a good idea to me and I am starting right now to save the bawbees in order to afford the flight from Houston (and back again - I hasten to add!)

Come on fellows! Let's surprise Brian and make this reunion a real hum-dinger! If we all put some friendly persuasion on our former shipmates we may even find some well-kent faces - some who haven't been to a reunion although not living too far away from Bromsgrove. If I plan to make it from this side of the Atlantic, what excuses can there be?

Alistair.
Hi Alistair, My self (Ian Shields) and Alan Smaldon will be attending, and as you are starting the ball rolling,you can save a bit more and buy the first round LOL.

Ianian

John Rogers
9th January 2012, 16:14
Sorry, I will be on riverboat cruising the river Elbe from Prague to Hamburg.
Hope you get a lot of takers.

John.

RayL
10th January 2012, 00:01
Alistair, I'm interested but confused. You say the hotel is near Manchester, but all the googling I've done so far indicates that the Holiday Inn Bromsgrove is near Birmingham, not Manchester. The postcode seems to be B61 9AB.

How long does the event last? Do we make our own stay arrangements, or do we contact an individual who is organising?

boatlarnie
10th January 2012, 06:45
Contact Brian Lucy at brianlucy@btinternet.com and he will be glad to provide you with details. I think the usual practice is to stay overnight at the hotel, I am pretty sure after a good session few will want to drive home!! The hotel is, as you say, near Birmingham; Alistair is flying into Manchester I believe, that is where the confusion lies. Ian Shields and I will be there so am hoping there is a good turn out.

JoeQ
10th January 2012, 15:50
I would be very interested and work and other commitments permitting will be there

R58484956
10th January 2012, 17:15
Holiday Inn, Kidderminster Road, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B61 9AB
0871 9429142 (10p a minute) or 0208 2333280 Central reservations

Alistair Macnab
10th January 2012, 17:45
Thanks, R58484956, boatlarnie (Alan) and ianian, for answering the questions. Keep up the good work and we'll all meet in Bromsgrove!
I am so looking forward to it! As my Granny used to say: "...if we're spared"!
Alistair.

Joe C
11th January 2012, 15:24
Hope to meet you all in Bromsgrove.

ambosscorp
11th January 2012, 16:38
That answers questions I just posted on Bank Line Nostalgia; or some of them at least. I still need to know how we get Mrs Brown's girls from Calcutta and Rosie's girls from Downunder to this affair.

John Rogers
11th January 2012, 17:26
That answers questions I just posted on Bank Line Nostalgia; or some of them at least. I still need to know how we get Mrs Brown's girls from Calcutta and Rosie's girls from Downunder to this affair.

Most likely,after all these years some of the girls are down under.

John.[=D]

Alistair Macnab
12th January 2012, 17:45
Just imagine all the girls from Oz, Durban, BA, Kobe, Bangkok, Calcutta and other locations turning up at this October's reunion! Remember, they would all be as old as the attendees (or even older?)
and there would be some conflicts of interest!
Nevertheless, it is a scene that for a minute or two, suggests a whale of a party!
Unfortunately, attendees and wives will have to do and I suspect that even wives will be largely superfluous! Adding it all up, this looks set to be a really great time and almost a last-in-a-lifetime hooley for some of us who are of the older generation and the groundwork for the young set who will carry on the handed-down traditional yarns to be added to their own 'life-after-Bank-Line' stories.
Can't wait!

RayL
12th January 2012, 21:49
I've been in touch with Brian and can now confirm that I'll be there. Looking forward to it almost as much as Alistair!

Alan Rawlinson
15th January 2012, 10:26
Will not attend, but hope it is a great turnout and a success for all.

Alistair Macnab
18th January 2012, 21:09
Looks like there will be a good contingent from SN! I hope also that there will be some who go to the Reunion who are followers of the Bank Line Nostalgia forum that is the successful brain child of Charlie Stitt.

Let's all give Brian Lucy the surprise of his life by attending. It will be good for all three groups and perhaps generate some form of cooperation amongst them. Someone has already suggested this and I think it is a good idea. Comments, please. We might even have a 'business session' on the Saturday afternoon to discuss this but this will very much depend upon what you all think or should we just leave the status quo alone?
We don't want to spoil the party with work!
Alistair.

Duncan112
18th January 2012, 21:20
I think that once people become aware of the other groups cooperation and increased membership will follow naturally - I can't remember how I tripped over SN but the Bank Line Association I was made aware of at a colleagues 25th wedding anniversary, so word of mouth at the meeting should suffice.

ambosscorp
18th January 2012, 21:39
I am certainly going to make every effort to get across the pond. I have been in touch with Brian Lucy and he has acknowledged my e-mail and promised to provide additional information once he has made the arrangements.
I think both SN and BLN have something to offer and I don't think you can combine the two. However, perhaps they could each place a link to the others in their respective sites. Let them evolve as separate sites.
I have certainly started to enjoy both.
I applaud the efforts both managers have made.
Bryan

boatlarnie
30th January 2012, 19:28
The reunion on October 6th is starting to look very promising; it will be a great surprise to members of the Bank Line Assocoation who have, as yet, not joined BL Nostalgia. I think some arm twisting will be in order that evening and, once the drinks are flowing, then we should get a goodly number of interested guys.

irfa6
11th February 2012, 13:01
Thx Info

Donald McGhee
11th February 2012, 22:05
There is nothing I would like more than to attend, but work load and distance make this too hard. Some other time, when we are all in Zimmer frames perhaps? I wish you all joy and a happy reunion.

Alistair Macnab
25th March 2012, 20:45
Brian Lucy, the coordinator of the Bank Line Association has covered details of the 2012 reunion in the latest Newsletter No.38/March 2012.

A buffet-style dinner at a cost of UKP25.00 per person is scheduled for 2000 hours with a prior and post cash bar refreshment opportunity to meet and greet old friends at the Bromsgrove Holiday Inn for Saturday 6th October 2012. This will be the eighth bi-annual event.

Rooms are available from 1400 hours Saturday. Dress is smart casual, and jockstraps and seaboots will be discouraged.A double occupancy room costs UKP86.00 and a single room is UKP66.00 Both include a full English breakfast on Sunday morning.

A 50% deposit is required for payment to reserve a room with full payment upon hotel departure. Deposits payable by cheque to "Holiday Inn Bromsgrove"
c/o Brian Lucy,
12 Langmere Road,
Watton, Norfolk IP25 6LG.

For more information Mr. Lucy can be contacted on the telephone on +(0)1953 882873 or by e-mail at brianlucy@btinternet.com

The full address of the hotel is:
Holiday Inn Birmingham Bromsgrove,
Kidderminster Road,romsgrive,
Worcs. B61 9AB

(tel) + (0)1527 576 600
(fax) + (0)1527 878 981

Attendees wanting to book before or after the Saturday night for an extended stay, should contact the hotel direct.

Johnnietwocoats
26th March 2012, 03:32
Brian Lucy, the coordinator of the Bank Line Association has covered details of the 2012 reunion in the latest Newsletter No.38/March 2012.

A buffet-style dinner at a cost of UKP25.00 per person is scheduled for 2000 hours with a prior and post cash bar refreshment opportunity to meet and greet old friends at the Bromsgrove Holiday Inn for Saturday 6th October 2012. This will be the eighth bi-annual event.

Rooms are available from 1400 hours Saturday. Dress is smart casual, and jockstraps and seaboots will be discouraged.A double occupancy room costs UKP86.00 and a single room is UKP66.00 Both include a full English breakfast on Sunday morning.

A 50% deposit is required for payment to reserve a room with full payment upon hotel departure. Deposits payable by cheque to "Holiday Inn Bromsgrove"
c/o Brian Lucy,
12 Langmere Road,
Watton, Norfolk IP25 6LG.

For more information Mr. Lucy can be contacted on the telephone on +(0)1953 882873 or by e-mail at brianlucy@btinternet.com

The full address of the hotel is:
Holiday Inn Birmingham Bromsgrove,
Kidderminster Road,romsgrive,
Worcs. B61 9AB

(tel) + (0)1527 576 600
(fax) + (0)1527 878 981

Attendees wanting to book before or after the Saturday night for an extended stay, should contact the hotel direct.

Thanks for that information Alistair....

I am wondering why Brian Lucy can not come on to the Ships Nostalgia Forum and make a personal invitation to all us ex Bank Liners....

Just a thought....

Alan Rawlinson
31st March 2012, 13:28
Thanks for that information Alistair....

I am wondering why Brian Lucy can not come on to the Ships Nostalgia Forum and make a personal invitation to all us ex Bank Liners....

Just a thought....

Yes, would be nice to get more information on line, now that we are well into the 21st Century. The itinery, menu, etc. etc. Who is planning to go so that we can see which shipmates are on stand by. Who is travelling from where, etc.

Alistair Macnab
31st March 2012, 18:16
Surprisingly, I know several staunch ex-Bank Line colleagues who are not members of SN and have no interest in becoming one! No idea what the antipathy is but we cannot fault anyone for not wanting to join. For example, one I know who reached Master received a perceived slight from Head Office and has never forgiven them whilst another, even as a full career from Apprentice to Master has put Bank Line behind him and has no further interest in this part of his life! Both have no intention of attending the Reunion and are definitely not interested in SN.
It takes all kinds......!

Meantime, let it be known that I am attending this year's Reunion from Houston. My wife will also be with me which will probably limit my post Reunion partying which is a good thing given my advancing years!

Alan Rawlinson
1st April 2012, 13:10
Surprisingly, I know several staunch ex-Bank Line colleagues who are not members of SN and have no interest in becoming one! No idea what the antipathy is but we cannot fault anyone for not wanting to join. For example, one I know who reached Master received a perceived slight from Head Office and has never forgiven them whilst another, even as a full career from Apprentice to Master has put Bank Line behind him and has no further interest in this part of his life! Both have no intention of attending the Reunion and are definitely not interested in SN.

Meantime, let it be known that I am attending this year's Reunion from Houston. My wife will also be with me which will probably limit my post Reunion partying which is a good thing given my advancing years!

It's probably the case that there are more ex Bankline people outside of SN than there are as members.

I don't think there is much doubt however that the Bank Line Association would benefit from an on-line presence.

Could even collect the fees more easily!

Joe C
1st April 2012, 19:31
It's probably the case that there are more ex Bankline people outside of SN than there are as members.

I don't think there is much doubt however that the Bank Line Association would benefit from an on-line presence. Why play King Canute?

Could even collect the fees more easily!

The Reunion is being held at the Holiday Inn Bromsgrove B61 9AB, on Oct.6th.
Rooms;-Double,86.00, inc Breakfast.Single,66.00.Available from 1400hrs.
The buffet dinner,25.00, at 1930 for 2000hrs

I'm sure you all know these brief details but I've just posted them for info.

DURANGO
1st April 2012, 20:43

I was an A.B. never sailed with Bank line and I would never say I was only an A.B. I went on my first 4 month voyage at the age of 15 arrived home and was still not 16 but I look forward to reading through all different shipping company post,s and I have to say Alistair how a man could be at sea from apprentice to master and not have any interest in the nostalgia of it all really does make the old saying it takes all sorts one of the truest saying,s ever said ,I,m pushing 70 now and looking at having to have a knee relacement sometime in the future [ which I,m not looking forward to ] but without sites like SN I feel that life would be that little less interesting after all when I,m on here I,m taken back to the east and west coast of South America all over the far east around Africa Kiwi OZ you name it, no for me nostalgia is a wonderful thing and the thought of your reunion would only fill me with excitment at the thought of the forth coming event ,so I wish all you good old boys the very best and I hope that you all take away happy memories of the old shipmates and the golden days of all of our lives best regards Dave .

Johnnietwocoats
1st April 2012, 21:48
I was an A.B. never sailed with Bank line and I would never say I was only an A.B. I went on my first 4 month voyage at the age of 15 arrived home and was still not 16 but I look forward to reading through all different shipping company post,s and I have to say Alistair how a man could be at sea from apprentice to master and not have any interest in the nostalgia of it all really does make the old saying it takes all sorts one of the truest saying,s ever said ,I,m pushing 70 now and looking at having to have a knee relacement sometime in the future [ which I,m not looking forward to ] but without sites like SN I feel that life would be that little less interesting after all when I,m on here I,m taken back to the east and west coast of South America all over the far east around Africa Kiwi OZ you name it, no for me nostalgia is a wonderful thing and the thought of your reunion would only fill me with excitment at the thought of the forth coming event ,so I wish all you good old boys the very best and I hope that you all take away happy memories of the old shipmates and the golden days of all of our lives best regards Dave .

Very well said shipmate...

Although Alistair has a valid point...

John Almond
27th September 2012, 11:05

Alistair.
Good Morning Alistair,
Lyn and I are looking foreword to seeing you and your good lady. The last time we met was at your last Bankline reunion. You were retuning to Houston and we were about to set off to the far east.
Best wishes,
John and Lyn Almond

Alan Rawlinson
27th September 2012, 18:06
The Reunion is being held at the Holiday Inn Bromsgrove B61 9AB, on Oct.6th.
Rooms;-Double,86.00, inc Breakfast.Single,66.00.Available from 1400hrs.
The buffet dinner,25.00, at 1930 for 2000hrs

I'm sure you all know these brief details but I've just posted them for info.

Must be some buffet!! or is that for 2 people?

minty
7th October 2012, 16:01
does anyone have an mail address for Riv & Pat Whisker by any chance ?

I only have their address in Norfolk

thanks

ambosscorp
10th October 2012, 20:22
I just wanted to report in and confirm I made it back alive.
Thank you to Brian Lucy for arranging the get together. (Applause)
I thoroughly enjoyed meeting up with my "old" shipmate Alan Smaldon; the only one attending with whom I had sailed. Also, meeting ex-Bankliners, with whom I never sailed.
It appeared that everyone had a great time, despite the absence of Bank Line Rosie's and Mrs Brown's girls. Maybe next time...? (*))

Johnnietwocoats
10th October 2012, 23:30
I just wanted to report in and confirm I made it back alive.
Thank you to Brian Lucy for arranging the get together. (Applause)
I thoroughly enjoyed meeting up with my "old" shipmate Alan Smaldon; the only one attending with whom I had sailed. Also, meeting ex-Bankliners, with whom I never sailed.
It appeared that everyone had a great time, despite the absence of Bank Line Rosie's and Mrs Brown's girls. Maybe next time...? (*))

Any Piccies....?

ambosscorp
10th October 2012, 23:47
Any Piccies....?

Plenty...but "mein frau" took the camera with her to Germany, visiting her family. I will post them when she returns in about 3 weeks time...if I survive that long w/o food. (Night)

makko
11th October 2012, 01:00
...if I survive that long w/o food. (Night)

So, the buffet dinner was a disappointment then Bryan!
Regards,
Dave

minty
11th October 2012, 08:31
Plenty...but "mein frau" took the camera with her to Germany, visiting her family. I will post them when she returns in about 3 weeks time...if I survive that long w/o food. (Night)

there's always Beans on Toast mate !

but for three weeks ?.....

can you tell me if Riv & Pat Whisker were present ?

ambosscorp
11th October 2012, 15:39
there's always Beans on Toast mate !

but for three weeks ?.....

can you tell me if Riv & Pat Whisker were present ?

Couldn't say Minty. I don't remember hearing or seeing the names anywhere, but there were quite a few people I didn't know.

PS Please send that recipe for Beans on Toast...

pete
11th October 2012, 18:48
at last, you lot have recovered enough from your hangovers to comment on the reunion. I wish I could have been there but I already had a holiday booked in the depths of Dartmoor (No!!! Not the nick) and they coincided. I hope you all had a good time......pete

Hamish Mackintosh
12th October 2012, 00:51
Alistair ,if by some slight chance Tommy were to attend, please pass on my regards to him, and enquire of him if he knows what became of his large cabin mate, thanks H

Alistair Macnab
21st October 2012, 19:47
I'm a bit late in posting this, but I attended what must have been a very successful Reunion in Bromsgrove on October 6th. Brian Lucy, the keeper of all things Bank Line, must be very proud and satisfied at the turn out and the overall arrangements all combining to create a wonderful evening for the participants and a great opportunity to cement old friendships.

Mary and I stayed on for several days after the event and on eventually reaching Houston, we had acquired hellacious head colds which set us back a bit, but now over, we can attend to our normal activities.

I am very much afraid I cannot give a category of who was there but I know that Brian will post the attendance list when the next Bank Line Newsletter comes out. Names and faces were coming from all directions to bring back remembrances of voyages on this or that Bank Boat or nights ashore in this or that port; the former, through the proverbial rose-coloured specs and the latter through careful editing in view of the presence of wives!

No unfortunate beans were spilled! In truth, we must have been a conglomeration of Boy Scouts when we were at sea! Visits to Missions, temples, up-country journeys to examine historic ruins, library and church runs. Indeed, I'm quite surprised that we were not strangled by our halos!

Joking apart, though, Mary and I greatly enjoyed the instant cameraderie and goodwill, although I personally noted some hesitation on the part of some attendees to be comfortable with my presence. I must have inadvertantly scotched some night ashore in New Orleans by insisting that a ship should sail to get to Houston in time to work the evening shift on the following day! Water under the bridge, don't you think?

The great majority of the group seemed to be in good health but on mentioning that during individual conversations, inevitably, some recent health trauma was revealed by speakers that revealed that most of us are very much aware of the advancing years but that we're a resilient bunch of tough birds yet!

Brian asked if we should meet again in two years time and there was a unanimous cry of 'yes' so those of you who missed out this year for one reason or another, have two years to make sure you are available for the next Reunion.

Great time!
Alistair.

Johnnietwocoats
21st October 2012, 23:36
I'm a bit late in posting this, but I attended what must have been a very successful Reunion in Bromsgrove on October 6th. Brian Lucy, the keeper of all things Bank Line, must be very proud and satisfied at the turn out and the overall arrangements all combining to create a wonderful evening for the participants and a great opportunity to cement old friendships.

Mary and I stayed on for several days after the event and on eventually reaching Houston, we had acquired hellacious head colds which set us back a bit, but now over, we can attend to our normal activities.

I am very much afraid I cannot give a category of who was there but I know that Brian will post the attendance list when the next Bank Line Newsletter comes out. Names and faces were coming from all directions to bring back remembrances of voyages on this or that Bank Boat or nights ashore in this or that port; the former, through the proverbial rose-coloured specs and the latter through careful editing in view of the presence of wives!

No unfortunate beans were spilled! In truth, we must have been a conglomeration of Boy Scouts when we were at sea! Visits to Missions, temples, up-country journeys to examine historic ruins, library and church runs. Indeed, I'm quite surprised that we were not strangled by our halos!

Joking apart, though, Mary and I greatly enjoyed the instant cameraderie and goodwill, although I personally noted some hesitation on the part of some attendees to be comfortable with my presence. I must have inadvertantly scotched some night ashore in New Orleans by insisting that a ship should sail to get to Houston in time to work the evening shift on the following day! Water under the bridge, don't you think?

The great majority of the group seemed to be in good health but on mentioning that during individual conversations, inevitably, some recent health trauma was revealed by speakers that revealed that most of us are very much aware of the advancing years but that we're a resilient bunch of tough birds yet!

Brian asked if we should meet again in two years time and there was a unanimous cry of 'yes' so those of you who missed out this year for one reason or another, have two years to make sure you are available for the next Reunion.

Great time!
Alistair.

Thank you Alistair for you update. I for one am glad that you enjoyed yourself and I agree that bygones should be bygones at this late stage of our lives.
Which brings me to ask the question. Why do you think Brian Lucy is hesitant to share his information from the Bankline with all of us either here or on Bankline Nostalgia.
It's a bit like the Old Man getting instructions from the Company and keeping it to himself and the Second Mate for a few days...
I probably dont know too many of the attendees but I wonder if Albert Scales or Captain Lidstone was there.
As always
Take care
John

Alan Rawlinson
22nd October 2012, 18:15

Great time!
Alistair.

Interesting to read your post, Alistair, and glad it was a success with a good turnout. The only time I went the various age groups naturally gravitated together, so imagine this may have also happened recently. Still no name tags, or was there?

You were looking fighting fit in the snaps - did you also get any photos, I wonder?

RayL
24th October 2012, 16:06
Good to meet you at the reunion Alistair. Sorry to hear about your cold but at least you are safely home in Houston.

Inspired by Ken Dagnall's research into the Weir family in Victorian times, I've done a bit of delving of my own and have posted a few census details in the Comments section of your Directory contribution on this site.

Alistair Macnab
24th October 2012, 16:17
Ray.....
Many thanks for your good research. I shall add it in to the main narrative in the appropriate place if I don't hear from you to the contracy. The Reunion was very good, wasn't it? I can only commend a Marconi man for being such an active 'Bank Boat man' even after all these years! Good to meet you, too. Let's stay in touch.
Alistair

RayL
25th October 2012, 00:11
Sure thing. Glad the information is of interest and use. In due course I'll revisit those records and (hopefully) sharpen up the data shown with a question mark.

RayL
26th October 2012, 16:45
Well, after ploughing through more censuses I seem to know quite a lot about the Weir family, and the only problem is - how to put it across.

I'll begin by acknowledging that it was Ken Dagnall's information that set me on my course, so thanks Ken.

1911 census. 57 Holland Park, Kensington, London W.
Andrew WEIR, 45, Shipowner. Born Esh, Fifeshire.
Ann WEIR (wife), 45. Born Esh, Fifeshire.
Ella WEIR (dau), 17. School. Born Lanark.
Ina WEIR (dau), 16. School. Born Argyll.
Morton WEIR (son), 13. School. Born Lanark.
Cora WEIR (dau), 9. School. Born Lanark.
Annie McINNES (single), 43. Servant. Born Ridge, Renfrewshire.
Lizzie GILLAN (single), 41. Servant. Born Acol, Renfrewshire.
Daisy BURLEY (single), 19. Servant. Born Tilbury, Essex.
Kate GRAY (widow), 60. Servant. Born Ross, Ayrshire.

1901 census. Blanefield Mansion, Kirkoswald, Ayrshire.
Andrew WEIR, 35, Shipowner, Born Kirkcaldy.
Tomania Ann WEIR (wife), 34. Housekeeper. Born Kirkcaldy.
Annie Forrestdale WEIR (dau), 10.
Janet Laing WEIR (dau), 8.
Ella Mary WEIR (dau), 7.
Ina Forrestdale WEIR (dau), 6.
Morton WEIR (son), 3.
Rachel Hunter WEIR (visitor) 41. Living on own means. Born Glasgow.
Janet Currie WEIR (visitor), 40. Hospital (nurse?). Born Born Glasgow.
William Rodger BROWN (visitor), 34. Cashier (shipyard). Born Beith, Fifes.
Sarah MALCOLM (servant), 24. Cook (domestic). Born Shotts, Lanarkshire.
Eliza BOYD (servant), 20. Housemaid (domestic). Born Stevenston, Ayrshire.

1891 census. 4 Edelweiss Terrace, Govan, Glasgow.
Andrew WEIR, 25. Shipowner. Born Kirkcaldy.
Tomina WEIR (wife), 25.
Anne F. WEIR (dau), 3mths.
William WEIR, 19.
Jennie B. WEIR, 16.
Bella B. WEIR, 14.

Those last three names were some of his younger brothers and sisters, who had presumably come to live with their elder brother and his wife. Andrew was the eldest child, just as his father William had been.

Andrew's father, William WEIR, is a very interesting character and is visibly the source of the family's rise in the world. He was born c1842, and in 1861 when he was 19 years old he was a Cork Cutter. Ken Dagnall states that he married Janet LAING on 2 Jan 1865. In 1871 he was 29, and their address was Glasswork Street, Kirkcaldy. His occupation was "Cork Cutter Master employing 30 men and 4 boys". In 1881 he was 39 and they were living at 269 High Street, Kirkcaldy; and by now his occupation was "Cork Manufacturer". In 1891 they were living at 5 Albert Road, Kirkcaldy, and his occupation was "Shipowner". He is in Govan by 1901 as I think I described already. By 1911 his wife Janet was a widow and was living with third son William in Littlehampton as already described.

William's siblings (i.e. Andrew's aunts and uncles) were: Alexander (c1843); Andrew (c1851); James (c1853); Isabella P. (c1857); Jane B. (c1859); John (1860). The parents of all these were: Andrew WEIR, born c1819 in Pathhead, Kirkcaldy, and Isabella, who was born in Pathhead c1822. In 1841, 1851 and 1861 their address was Mid Street, Dysart, Fifeshire. Andrew senior's occupation was Sawyer.

Alistair Macnab
26th October 2012, 17:58
Ray....
This is most interesting. I wonder if the "Eric" of the steamships suffix "-eric" will ever come to light? The story has it that there was an Eric somewhere in the family or in close connection. I would love this question to have an eventual answer! Perhaps it was only that "-eric" suffix already existed (like "Willowbank" which was already the name of Weir's first sailing ship) and that there's no mystery at all!
Alistair

RayL
26th October 2012, 20:33
Hi Alistair,

That is also Ken Dagnall's quest as he was explaining to me at the reunion. I've searched for an Eric Weir in the indexes but there doesn't seem to have been one.

By the way, in that 1911 census I supplied for William & Mary Ann's household, it wasn't a 'typo' when I spelt the name of their eldest child "William Wier"! I guess they really must have named him William Wier WEIR, but why I don't know.

Andrew must have married Tomania in about 1890, for in the 1911 census the couple state that they have been married for 21 years. Ken discovered that Andrew had a younger brother called William, who was born 5 Feb 1870 but died 6 Apr 1871, so when they had another boy on 12 Jun 1872 they gave him the same name.

ccurtis1
26th November 2012, 10:51
Must have been some re-union you guys had.
Are you all still recovering as there have been so few postings since?