Revisit the port.

John Dryden
19th January 2012, 00:36
Heres one for ex Bankliners.If you good revisit a port now(only one chaps)which one would it be on the routes?
We know it will have changed a bit but that is progress!
Mine would be,after much consideration,Penang.

Johnnietwocoats
19th January 2012, 01:11
Seychelles Islands......Without a doubt...

Alistair Macnab
19th January 2012, 04:21
Apia, Western Samoa.

Alan Rawlinson
19th January 2012, 08:23
How about Bromboro Dock - for a whiff of pure Nostalgia!

billyboy
19th January 2012, 08:48
I would have said Falmouth but she's pushing 70 by now (like me)

iain48
19th January 2012, 15:42
Sydney would be my choice, having had a great time there on Elmbank 1974. Went back on holiday in 2002 and once again really enjoyed myself. Hopefully back again next year.

Iain

jimthehat
19th January 2012, 15:48
Dunedin definitely and second lytleton parties and nurses

Joe C
19th January 2012, 17:23
Yokahama,for no particular reason,or maybe Durban or Brisbane or Point Fortin or Singapore......................................... ..

Pat Kennedy
19th January 2012, 17:33
How about Bromboro Dock - for a whiff of pure Nostalgia!

You would be hard put to find Bromboro' Dock Alan.It was filled in years ago! even the smell has gone.(A)
Pat

Pat Kennedy
19th January 2012, 17:40
I have revisited several of my favourite ports in the years since I came ashore, and looked for the bars where I had had such a good time.
None lived up to my memory of them, places like Hong Kong and Singapore, Manila and Penang, totally different and alien. Even Betty's Bar in Glasgow turned out to be a lifeless dump when I called in in 1981.
The only place with even a hint of the good times of the 1960s was San Francisco, still a good sailor's town.
Pat

Duncan112
19th January 2012, 17:52
Durban.

But as John says it will all have changed - I went back to Apia about 2002 and Aggie Greys had been modernised - you could be in any Best Western in the world now - gone is the little bar to the right with the old photos, replaced by a glass and stainless steel concoction in the reception area. Probably all changed again now http://aggiegreys.com/hotel/restaurants-and-bars.

Winebuff
19th January 2012, 19:04
Shanghai - to see the changes in 30 years.

IBlenkinsopp
19th January 2012, 21:10
South Shields

pete
20th January 2012, 08:18
(Pint) For me it must be Penang. I believe the Hong Kong Bar is still there despite that fire which destroyed all those wonderful 'Photo Albums.......pete (Pint)

ps see you all at the reunion

rcraig
20th January 2012, 09:44
Calcutta. Honest! And to add the places that I would have liked to visit but didn't, Valparaiso via the Magellans and New Zealand.

Alan Rawlinson
20th January 2012, 10:41
You would be hard put to find Bromboro' Dock Alan.It was filled in years ago! even the smell has gone.(A)
Pat

Yes, I understand it is a carpark or housing estate - how did they ever get rid of that sweet penetrating smell of the coconut oil, I wonder?

Another one - Galveston

I have some really good memories of Galveston, and took the opportunity when on a business trip to Houston in the 90's to drive down to Galveston - for old times sake. Shock, Horror, the street that I fondly remembered was still there, but turned into a tourist attraction and had the film set treatment with hitching rails for the horses, and artificial swing doors etc - It was barred to traffic and turned into a sort of Hollywood set......

Pat Kennedy
20th January 2012, 11:05
Yes, I understand it is a carpark or housing estate - how did they ever get rid of that sweet penetrating smell of the coconut oil, I wonder?

Another one - Galveston

I have some really good memories of Galveston, and took the opportunity when on a business trip to Houston in the 90's to drive down to Galveston - for old times sake. Shock, Horror, the street that I fondly remembered was still there, but turned into a tourist attraction and had the film set treatment with hitching rails for the horses, and artificial swing doors etc - It was barred to traffic and turned into a sort of Hollywood set......

Alan, it became a landfill site, and plans are afoot to landscape it and turn it into a public park.
Pat

Alan Rawlinson
20th January 2012, 12:47
Alan, it became a landfill site, and plans are afoot to landscape it and turn it into a public park.
Pat

Hi Pat

Would look nice then with a model of a Bankline ship, dischaging copra! My Missus has just said it should be ' themed ' at least.

China hand
20th January 2012, 19:31
Rosario

Johnnietwocoats
22nd January 2012, 00:58
Calcutta. Honest! And to add the places that I would have liked to visit but didn't, Valparaiso via the Magellans and New Zealand.

I would love to go back to Calcutta...(Whaaa)

Probably the only Port that hasn't changed much in the last fifty odd years....(Pint)

Ian Harrod
22nd January 2012, 02:31
Buenos Aires - 25 de Mayo Street!!

DURANGO
22nd January 2012, 09:32
Recife , but I would only want to stay for a couple of months .

Aberdonian
22nd January 2012, 15:33
I had intended to opt for Buenos Aires but the siren-call of the Hughli has me settling for Calcutta.

I wonder if an iced coffee can still be had at “Magnolia’s”.......

Aberdonian

makko
22nd January 2012, 23:51
Aggie Greys

The rooms are good ("roll in" showers), the bars "middling" and the main restaurant SPECTACULAR! Have stayed there several times on the way to/from American Samoa - A real haven after AS, although Sadies by the Sea is acceptable and Sadie Thompson's a dining experience!
Rgds.
Dave

David E
22nd January 2012, 23:59
I would love to go back to Calcutta...(Whaaa)

Probably the only Port that hasn't changed much in the last fifty odd years....(Pint)

Same here-fascinating place

China hand
23rd January 2012, 19:37
Yup, still a filthy tip. New name, same shite.(Night)

Johnnietwocoats
24th January 2012, 01:36
Same here-fascinating place

This should bring back Memories...

As I said...Hasn't changed much...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMSUxl7DIA&feature=related

Ron Stringer
24th January 2012, 09:18

....Chowringhee to Broadway's a ****ing long way.

Line from an old song.

JoeQ
24th January 2012, 10:49
Apia, Western Samoa.

I have to agree, had some good times in Apia on the Meadowbank, I will be revisiting Valporaiso next month on business, I expect it to be much changed

Frank P
24th January 2012, 11:06
Did the Bank Line have a regular run to the East coast of South America, Buenos Aires and Rio etc.

Cheers Frank

jmcg
24th January 2012, 11:13
Diego Suarez in Madagascar where we were for 3 weeks in a Jebsens bulker. We were treated like Royalty by the indiginous folk and upstream Portuguese. No effect on the "sub" balance either.

Ladies were coffee coloured and well equiped. 2nd cook and a steward "jumped" or failed to return for sailing.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

Alistair Macnab
24th January 2012, 21:25
Did the Bank Line have a regular run to the East coast of South America, Buenos Aires and Rio etc.

Cheers Frank

Frank....
Bank Line operated a one way liner service from Calcutta and Bangladesh ports to the River Plate, mainly Buenos Aires but occasionally Montevideo via South Africa, Durban with occasional calls at Capetown. Service was monthly within the Calcutta Liner Conference Agreement.

Usual backhaul was a bulk grain cargo for Bunge to India although a bulk sugar cargo was sometimes available. During the era of two-year trips, getting a BA trip from Calcutta was often a hoped-for cargo to the Continent and pay-off!

My own experiences on four Calcutta-BA voyages was twice to Trinidad light ship to load bitumen for India; once to Port Sudan with sugar then back to India with salt; and once down to Bahia Blanca then back to BA to top off with pollards for Germany!

Alan Rawlinson
24th January 2012, 22:00

Thanks, great video...

It looks more prosperous ( if that's the right word) than the 1950's - less squalor, bodies, roadside barbers, etc etc. Life still looks tough in Calcutta, though, for the ordinary folk. No doubt there are still polished and panelled clubs for the lucky ones to retreat to.

Ian Harrod
25th January 2012, 02:39

Great video. I saw 3 old girlfriends, the crew off the Taybank and Dr Ganguly!

Johnnietwocoats
25th January 2012, 03:24
Frank....
Bank Line operated a one way liner service from Calcutta and Bangladesh ports to the River Plate, mainly Buenos Aires but occasionally Montevideo via South Africa, Durban with occasional calls at Capetown. Service was monthly within the Calcutta Liner Conference Agreement.

Usual backhaul was a bulk grain cargo for Bunge to India although a bulk sugar cargo was sometimes available. During the era of two-year trips, getting a BA trip from Calcutta was often a hoped-for cargo to the Continent and pay-off!

My own experiences on four Calcutta-BA voyages was twice to Trinidad light ship to load bitumen for India; once to Port Sudan with sugar then back to India with salt; and once down to Bahia Blanca then back to BA to top off with pollards for Germany!

I was fortunate to do the East Coast of SA, Valparaiso once and West Coast, BA and Monte twice...

I do remember doing a run to Trinidad...

I am fortunate to have copies of my ships logs and crew Lists for the Eastbank, Foylebank, Fleetbank, Streambank and the Cedarbank so I pretty much know exactly where I was from July 1960 until July 1964 with Bank Line...(Pint)

obrbob1948
25th January 2012, 07:06
I agree with John Dryden...Penang is fantastic. Actually, I spent 3 weeks there while on leave from Singapore (British Army)...this was a year or so before I left Singapore to join to join an Army ship - HMAV AACHEN based out of Portsmouth Naval base...ship was an LCT - I was one of two Radio Operators on board (Royal Signals). Subsequently served on 2 other LCT's visiting GOTHENBERG, COPENHAGEN, ANTWERP, ROTTERDAM. AMSTERDAM, KIEL CANAL ports etc. My time at sea was the best time I had while serving in the British army. Far East posting was simply outstanding.

China hand
25th January 2012, 19:30
Two copra runs. The rest either India~ West coast Sud America, or India~East coast Sud America, both via South Africa, or tramping. Good times.

Frank P
25th January 2012, 23:57
Frank....

Alistair, thanks for the reply.

Frank

John Dryden
13th August 2013, 23:56
Just re reading this thread and having visited a lot of the ports nominated, you would have to say each one brings back a memory(even Bromboro').
China hand,Rosaria was on my hit list, as my old man recommended to me from his days at sea.Sadly I didn,t get a run ashore.Fairly short turn around and the old man had me on the bridge the whole passage from BA..I fell asleep I think!
Aberdonian,Calcutta..almost a port of residence for me too as soon as we entered the mouth of the Hooghly.

jimthehat
14th August 2013, 00:14
Just re reading this thread and having visited a lot of the ports nominated, you would have to say each one brings back a memory(even Bromboro').
China hand,Rosaria was on my hit list, as my old man recommended to me from his days at sea.Sadly I didn,t get a run ashore.Fairly short turn around and the old man had me on the bridge the whole passage from BA..I fell asleep I think!
Aberdonian,Calcutta..almost a port of residence for me too as soon as we entered the mouth of the Hooghly.

Went to Rosario on the Etivebank where the c/e died,it was a lovely funeral,the hearse was pulled by 4 black horses and we from the ship were in a couple of horse drawn carrages.Did go to Rosario,but just had a flashback and it was Bahia Blanca where the chief died.

jim

John Dryden
14th August 2013, 00:40
Aye, Jim, you are worse than me for remembering where and when..your memories are much appreciated.

Alan Rawlinson
14th August 2013, 09:53
San Ramon - Cuba

A little sugar loading port on the N Coast, with a single gravity fed railway running through the centre. Fascinating place with basic living and lots of rum and fun....

Looked on Google Earth recently and it looks the same as far as I can tell. I dare say the sugar is containerised now, though.

Hamish Mackintosh
14th August 2013, 16:37
New Plymouth.

Waighty
17th August 2013, 15:23
No one has yet mentioned London! Having walked around most of the enclosed dock systems when they were active and again when they were not, the changes have to be seen to be believed.

I joined Avonbank in 1970 in Millwall Docks (the left hand turn from West India Docks when inwards) when she was loading outwards on the old New Guinea service. When I went back a couple of years ago the change was staggering, the only recognizable bit was the quay wall! The rest was housing and gardens together with waterside views - amazing.

Many of the old "watering holes" are still there though very much sanitised compared to their past existence - some are now more gastro than dockside pubs.

Johnnietwocoats
17th August 2013, 19:27
Seychelles...

First trip on the Eastbank in 1960....

We were on. Brocklebank Charter...

I remember we had Johnny Walker Whiskey...which was broken into.

And Craven A corked tipped cigarettes...

And I fell in love with Doris Gendron....

China hand
17th August 2013, 19:42
Rosario. Bus from Bs As Retiro, nigh on 6 hours to Mariano Moreno in Rosario. Nice town. Lived there a while.

Bill Greig
22nd August 2013, 09:32
Muscat has not changed much in 30 odd years, but a very "dry" run ashore if you know what I mean.
Dunedin would be my place to revisit.
Bill

dave boy green
31st October 2013, 14:18
Frank....

Hi Alistair
I was in BA in Sept 1957. We had loaded gunnies and tea in Calcutta, Vizag and Colombo for Montevideo and BA on the Meadowbank. (First tripper) BA was a great place (we were there two weeks) and I remember Don Halliday (2/O)trying to set me up with a lady of the night . No load to the continent though instead grain from Bahia Blanca to Matarani where I got plastered and started a fight with my equally plastered friend, apprentice Trevor Priestly. The bar we had been in was a single room habitation with only three walls, (saves on doors). the famil;y lived and worked all in the one room. very strange place.I was back there as a surveyor loading a concentrate cargo in the mid 1990's and it was unrecognisable from 1957.
Dave Green

John Rogers
31st October 2013, 15:28
Apia for me, with a follow-up visit to Seychelles for R&R.

Biggles Wader
31st October 2013, 15:36
I was in BA in about 1976/7 when the dirty war was going on.One or two explosions in the city and lots of troops everywhere,but that never got in the way of us carrying on our "normal"business.It was said that girls outnumbered men by a huge number and it certainly seemed like it to us youngsters.We had the time of our lives.(Thumb)

ben27
4th November 2013, 02:24
good day john Dryden,sm.19th jan.2013.09:36.re:revisit the port.an interesting thread,many choices made.for me London.as it use to be.dream on.have a good day regards ben27

Alan Rawlinson
4th November 2013, 09:20
I was in BA in about 1976/7 when the dirty war was going on.One or two explosions in the city and lots of troops everywhere,but that never got in the way of us carrying on our "normal"business.It was said that girls outnumbered men by a huge number and it certainly seemed like it to us youngsters.We had the time of our lives.(Thumb)

Yes, No contest - BA every time. Older members will remember the notorious ' Arches' swept away in the early 50's.

A heady mix of senses from the erotic, to exotic, and bizarre. It's the only place I have seen shoes and items thrown at a cinema screen when the audience didn't like what was being screened!! What a place!

China hand
4th November 2013, 19:40
T'was said that Bs As was the only port in the world where the finest opera house, most up to date cinema, glorious music bar, wonderful tea shop, dingiest night club, sleeziest pick up joint, and full of lovely ladies, come and get me, dance saloons, amongst the five star to dirt grot eating places were all within walking distance of each other, and could be paid for with even an apprentices wages. Happy days indeed.[=P]

Biggles Wader
4th November 2013, 19:55
T'was said that Bs As was the only port in the world where the finest opera house, most up to date cinema, glorious music bar, wonderful tea shop, dingiest night club, sleeziest pick up joint, and full of lovely ladies, come and get me, dance saloons, amongst the five star to dirt grot eating places were all within walking distance of each other, and could be paid for with even an apprentices wages. Happy days indeed.[=P]

Bangkok came close,although I must confess I never got to the opera house in any port I visited.(Jester)Not even Sydney as we glided past it into Darling harbour.:sweat: