FILM "THE KEY"

STRAWBERRY
16th January 2006, 21:43
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a copy of the film "The key"? I don't remember much about it, but it was based on Tugs, and the skipper tried to have his way with Sofia Loren (Wouldn't we all?) any takers? Thanks Andy (Fly)

Gulpers
16th January 2006, 21:54
Andy,

Have a look here for a reminder of what the film is about:
http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=27127

Maybe HMV or Amazon will be able to source a DVD or video copy. (Thumb)

benjidog
16th January 2006, 22:40
Nothing on ebay or amazon in the UK. There is another film of the same name with Frank Finlay in it so watch out you get the right one!

GEORDIE LAD
16th January 2006, 23:05
Be sure to get the film with William Holden and Trevor Howard.It's afine movie,good story,excellent music but very hard to find.Ihave never seen a DVD release and I paid a goodly sum when Ipurchased a VHS copy about ten years ago.Good luck in your search.....Doug

John Rogers
16th January 2006, 23:49
Why dont you have the VHS put onto a DVD disk,the tape wont last much longer.
John

STRAWBERRY
17th January 2006, 19:07
Thanks fella's The search is still on!

edward
17th January 2006, 19:34
[=P] who is sofia loren bit before my time.regards .edward

fredkinghorn
17th January 2006, 20:38
Sophia Loren...born 1934 as Sophia Scicolone, made films in Italy under that name and also as Sophia Lazzaro. Sorry you missed her!

fred

" everythig you see... I owe to spaghetti "

STRAWBERRY
19th January 2006, 19:33
Sophia loren..............ooooh!..............She was in the millionairess with Peter Sellers. Fine bit, but not much of an actress. "Goodness Gracious Me!

Tassie
19th January 2006, 23:27
The attached link is to 'Inetvideo' who have details of the film you are looking for. I assume they are an American based company, I don't think they have it in stock but it can be ordered. Good luck.

http://www.inetvideo.com/video/detail.cfm?movieid=01-035684

Regards....Bill Burton...Tassie.

trotterdotpom
20th January 2006, 01:25
[=P] who is sofia loren bit before my time.regards .edward

Edward, I know you're kidding - unless the grappa has got to you!

Sophia is still going strong at 70 and still magnificent. If you discount "The Millionairess" she did make some pretty good films.

Did anyone read a book which came out years ago called "I, Jan Kramer"? It was about a Danish seaman and sort of a cross between "The Cruel Sea" and a Port Said Bible (leaning more towards the latter). One of Jan's fantasies was Sophia Loren's face at the bottom of the toilet....What more can I say? Maybe you can get it on E Bay.

John T.

ruud
20th January 2006, 06:08
Ahoy John,

Sorry to correct you but Jan Cremer was Dutch as Dutch can be.Still alive, and nowadays an art painter; his paintings are quiet expensive, and the book I Jan Cremer was a must in the "old days" to all youngsters in the early sixties, it was all about sex,drugs,rock and roll, being a sailor for some period, and being in the "Legion",as he tolds; it was very shocking in those days.In April 2000 appears the 50th impression of the Dutch edition of Ik Jan Cremer, of which translations have been published in more than 30 countries since the first publication in 1964 with a total worldwide edition of around 12 million copies.

trotterdotpom
20th January 2006, 07:26
Ahoy John,

Sorry to correct you but Jan Cremer was Dutch as Dutch can be.Still alive, and nowadays an art painter; his paintings are quiet expensive, and the book I Jan Cremer was a must in the "old days" to all youngsters in the early sixties, it was all about sex,drugs,rock and roll, being a sailor for some period, and being in the "Legion",as he tolds; it was very shocking in those days.In April 2000 appears the 50th impression of the Dutch edition of Ik Jan Cremer, of which translations have been published in more than 30 countries since the first publication in 1964 with a total worldwide edition of around 12 million copies.

Thanks Ruud, that's amazing - he must be pretty old by now. I wonder if he's ever painted Sophia Loren?

Yes, the book was pretty 'hard-core' in its day, maybe I'll get hold of a copy and see what I think now.

Sorry about the mistaken nationality, but it's a long time ago. Now everyone's in the EEC it probably doesn't matter much anymore.

There was a 'recommended reading' thread somewhere on the site, maybe the book should be mentioned there.

John T.

ruud
20th January 2006, 08:10
Ahoy John,

Jan Cremer was born in 1940, and I don't think he has ever painted her, he prefers, paintings like these, and makes a fortune with it.By the way he sailed on small coasters/trampers and mainly to Russia[read Baltic] as galleyboy/deck hand.

http://www.dutchart.com/KFR262.jpg

awateah2
20th January 2006, 11:38
Didn't 'Jan de Hartog' write the book along with 'Holland's Glory' I believe he died in 2002

glenn
20th January 2006, 11:49
According to my book its available on laser disk (whatever that is ) in both American NTSC format and British PAL format. Apart from that cant help sorry

ruud
20th January 2006, 11:56
Ahoy,

Yes indeed this writer wrote "Holland's Glory" and died in 2002.There is a photo in my Gallery from the Furie a historic steam tugboat. The vessel featured in the 1976 Dutch television series 'Holland's Glory,' after De Hartog's best-known novel.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9872/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

awateah2
20th January 2006, 12:25
Did he also write 'I The Captain' ? another very good Wartime Tug story.

ruud
20th January 2006, 12:42
Ahoy,

Yes he wrote also "the Captain" and many others after all he is the most read after Anne Frank, Dutch writer, here a list from what he wrote and still available at Amazon;Lots of his writings are being filmed or being played.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/102-9261824-9896118?tag=brainyquote-20&keyword=Jan%20de%20Hartog

trotterdotpom
21st January 2006, 05:07
Thanks for the photo of the painting Ruud. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be Sophia Loren, but there's a good chance that it is the bottom of a toilet!

There's no accounting for taste, but maybe old Jan should have stuck to writing dirty books.

John T.

Norman Trewren
21st January 2006, 10:06
Great writer, Jan de Hartog. Ranks with Neville Shute and Nicholas Montserrat.
(Remember them?)

edward
21st January 2006, 10:08
(Applause) john.t you are right i was only kidding she was a sexy actress seen lots of films that she played in but have memory block as to the names of them. regards edward. (Applause)

trotterdotpom
21st January 2006, 10:56
Edward, she dropped them out in "Two Women" a multi award winning Italian movie - it definitely got two stars from me! Wasn't she also in "Ferry from Hong Kong" with Kurt Juergens? She was also in a re-make of "Brief Encounters" where she fell in love with me and then I woke up - bummer!

Before we get too carried away with this thread, I should remind everyone that Jan Cremer is the Dutch author of stick books and painter of ....pictures.
Jan de Hartog is the author of several classic sea tales and is up there with Joseph Conrad in my opinion.

John T.

macrae
14th September 2007, 12:23
Hi Strawberry,
I joined one ship just after it had been used in the making of "The Key", think it was the RFA Wave Laird but not sure.

Remember hearing the stories about Sophie Loren being on board and being really nice to the crew!.

Trevor Howard was also on board, drunk most of the time.

There was a fire scene on board where they had trays of oil burning on deck,
I saw the film years ago.
Great old film ,hope you get a copy.
If you want to see Sophie Loren at her sexiest have a look at "Boy on a Dolphin", another old film.

regards Macrae

al1934
14th September 2007, 13:15
Ooooh! Now this thread has awakened stirrings in me...

Sofia is a month older than me - any similarity ends right there! She is still beautiful - I never was!

I have a lifetime of unrequited love - and lust - for her. She made nearly 100 films. Amazing woman! Lucky old Carlo Ponti, I say...

signalman
14th September 2007, 16:56
"The Key" with Sophia lren, Trevor Howard, and William Holden is available on Amazon, as of 1650 14th Sept. 4.45 plus postage. Signalman.

ddraigmor
16th September 2007, 11:25
That Jan Kramer book - the part 'Port Said bible' - wasn't there an English version called 'I, A Sailor' written by a Norwegian? Morgen Holm? Very erotic book - read, of course, for its maritime slant....!

Jonty

OLD STRAWBERRY
16th September 2007, 13:12
Andy, You know that I have a DVD of The Key Don't You?. I bought off E bay earlier this year. The original name of the story was "Stella" as as in the book version.

ddraigmor
25th October 2007, 21:53
Just gotv a copy of 'The Key' off Amazon for a 5 - and well woerth it! Also got 'Western Approaches' which was again worth the 16 paid. Both films excellent.

Jonty

KenLin39
26th October 2007, 01:48
Hi. 5 DVDs of "The Key" available on Amazon. Link is below. Ken.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/KEY-DVD-REGION-2/dp/B000L9IF7U/ref=sr_1_7/202-1386629-1831020?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1193359160&sr=1-7

Tony Selman
9th November 2007, 11:27
Based on reading this thread I went on to Amazon and bought it through one of their associated suppliers ( 3 November 2007) for the princely sum of 2.50 + P&P! Money very well spent as it is a very good film and for that sort of money I thoroughly recommend it.

nhp651
26th November 2007, 23:31
Sophia Loren.............I'd crawl over broken glass, just to stick matchsticks in her pooh!

sorry to be so crude gents?

Oceanspan
28th November 2007, 02:06
Sophia Loren.............I'd crawl over broken glass, just to stick matchsticks in her pooh!

sorry to be so crude gents?

Might get your chance. She will be in Dover on 5th April 2008 to christen MSC Cruises latest vessel, MSC Poesia. She has already christened several of their previous cruise ships.

OLD STRAWBERRY
28th November 2007, 07:37
I prefered Gina la Lollo Myself.

Oceanspan
28th November 2007, 15:02
Easy boy, easy. What about our own home grown Joanna Lumley, still gorgeous after all these years? Just nipping out to buy some matchsticks.......

ddraigmor
1st December 2007, 17:11
Joanna Lumley. Ooh yes, a lady with just a hint of something quite naughty about her!

Erm, no matchsticks however......!

Jonty