Decline in Interest

Shipbuilder
19th January 2012, 14:48
Last night, we settled down to watch THE LAST OF THE GREAT LINERS on BBC 4 Freeview (UK).

When the programme started, we found it had been replaced by a programme about steam trains! It was very disappointing. I suppose it just reflects a declining interest everywhere in Merchant Shipping.

On Tuesday, I visited the local market and found a stall displaying fifteen top quality quarterly journals on Merchant Shipping. They were in mint condition and profusely illustrated with very high quality photographs. I watched the stall for a while and could almost sense “a curtain coming down” as browsers quickly passed on to other things with barely a glance. I asked how much they were and was told that they were £3 each, but if I wanted them, I could have them for £2 each! The only thing that stopped me was that I have all 49 issues, having been a subscriber since they began in 1996.

It is very sad that such an important part of our past is now almost completely disregarded. It seems to me that most of the general public don’t even know what as ship is, as the vast majority persist in referring to anything that floats as a “boat” even if it is quarter of a million tons!

I wonder if this is true of other countries, do they all regard their past maritime heritage with such disinterest?

Looking in a local library a few weeks ago, I found that the transport section only contained books on trains, trucks, busses and aircraft – not a single book on ships – or even boats!

I really do despair sometimes and am glad I was born in the early 1940s!

commander
19th January 2012, 17:30
I totally agree, but I like steam trains as well!

Recall screaming at the TV screen last year when a reporter was at some tall ship gathering and he kept refering to them as boats.

Chris.

brianshawe
19th January 2012, 18:00
My son-in-law, age 36, didn't know what the merchant navy was. I had to explain what a master mariner was, and what I did in that capacity was a complete revelation to him.
I refrained from giving him some of the more lurid details of our better runs ashore in foreign parts - after all, grandad has an image of wisdom and probity to maintain, hasn't he!

Winebuff
19th January 2012, 18:46
Under the circumstances they may just have taken the decision to adjust the TV schedule in light of Costa Concordia.

Every now and then the BBC does show a little common decency.

Shipbuilder
19th January 2012, 20:01
Commander
Steam engines are OK. Look at this that I scanned earlier today before I even saw your reply. Took it in Cape Town in the early 70s. We did watch the steam loco thing and it was good, but I still would have preffered the Last of the Liners in which "thee and me" participated aboard the last one!
PS My Dad was a wheeltapper:D
Winebuff
I thought that might be the reason, but they don't take off war documentaries at short notice despite the fact that wars are raging all over the place. Post war passenger ships were pretty trouble-free anyway, so Post War Liners should not really upset anyone!

Bob

Andrew Craig-Bennett
27th January 2012, 15:23
It is sobering to compare Britain with France, Holland, Denmark and Germany.

All show much greater interest in their shipping history.

I really do not know why.

Duncan112
27th January 2012, 19:47
Last night, we settled down to watch THE LAST OF THE GREAT LINERS on BBC 4 Freeview (UK).

On Tuesday, I visited the local market and found a stall displaying fifteen top quality quarterly journals on Merchant Shipping. They were in mint condition and profusely illustrated with very high quality photographs. I watched the stall for a while and could almost sense “a curtain coming down” as browsers quickly passed on to other things with barely a glance. I asked how much they were and was told that they were £3 each, but if I wanted them, I could have them for £2 each!

1940s!

Must have been the Flea Market in Preston (Tue/Thur) as they appeared in Chorley on Monday - git the 15 for £20 - saved me the petrol to Preston - Thanks!!

Shipbuilder
27th January 2012, 20:12
Well, Well, Well, - amazing! Yes, it was Preston, so he must stand at Chorley as well! Glad you got them for such a low price. I would certainly have snapped them up if I hadn't already got Nrs 1 to 50! A marvelous publication and the only shipping journal I still subscribe to!
Bob

trevor page
27th January 2012, 20:19
And what is the name of this journal, I would like to subscribe myself.

surveychile
27th January 2012, 20:32
Well here in Chile, in old times our ship's owners were real ambassadors of our country abroad, all ships waiving Chilean flag and port of register Valparaiso, such as Cía. Sudamericana de Vapores in that time Chilean Lines now CSAV, Cía. Chilena de Navegación Interóceanica now CCNI, NISA still waiving Chilean flag, Marinez Pereira dissapeared, and so on.

Now a ship, you really do not know who is the owner, as there are Owners, Managers, Managements, flags such as Bahames, Marshall Island, Kitts and I do not know what eslse, crew of thousands of countries working for a dish of beans and a glass of water, this is the merchant marine nowadays.

Kind Regards

Tomislav Raymondi.

Shipbuilder
27th January 2012, 20:34
It is:
SHIPS IN FOCUS - RECORD
Put it in www.google.co.uk and you will find it easy enough.
Head & shoulders above anything else in my view (but that probably doesn't count for anything anyway!B\)
Bob

Shipbuilder
27th January 2012, 20:40
Tomislav Raymondi.

I would agree with all that. I have no interest whatsoever in the current MN either (of any nationality), but I still have an all-consuming interest of how the MNs of all the countries of the World were in their prime, not all that many years ago!

I am talking about interest in our past achievements, not in our present state.

Bob

trevor page
27th January 2012, 22:45
Thanks for that,