Euroliner scratch built model

airds
20th January 2012, 02:47
Any one at the launch?

modelshipmaster.com (url) (http://modelshipmaster.com/products/ocean_liners/Euroliner_container_ship.htm)

John Cassels
20th January 2012, 10:26
No , but spent enough time on her as mate.

muldonaich
20th January 2012, 10:50
the demisters are in the wrong place kev.

John Cassels
20th January 2012, 19:54
Your right Kevin , got mixed up with the bar . Also deck space for the stores
container does'nt seem right.

randcmackenzie
21st January 2012, 00:01
Good looking model, but:

The stores containers are not shown, and there is something wrong with the layout of that deck.

The funnel is a little too raked, and the bridge between it and the goal post mast appears missing.

The breakwater wasn't straight, the foremast was set in to it, and the forecastle ran aft as far as the aft end of bay 1.

I think there were 2 A brackets on each shaft.

Fine effort, don't take it personnally!

Varley
21st January 2012, 01:18
Somewhere I have a photo showing Eurofreighter's big bertha in DD - should resolve 'A' frame question. Will try and find for posting. David V

randcmackenzie
22nd January 2012, 00:45
Hello Dave.

I've got some pictures of Asiafreighter in Emden - definitely 2 A brackets.

My pictures are all over 800kb, and the max upload here is 500 - what to do sahib?

B/R,

Roddie

Varley
22nd January 2012, 02:02
Good evening Roddie,

Just don't overload the 'fridge with them!

Only saw Eurofreighter out of the water her only from above in a cage as lifted aboard.

As well as fiddling with mine I will consult with some IT wallahs and ask them for a shrinking formula and revert.

David

Gulpers
22nd January 2012, 08:46
Gents,

Some of your observations can be verified in the box boat photographs here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=1064144). (Thumb)

...... also here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=1064151) and here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=1064152).

Gulpers
22nd January 2012, 09:11
David,

There is also a photograph of DART EUROPA (ex-ASIALINER) here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/177258/title/dart-europa/cat/513). She is in a bit of a state however it does show the raised position of the starboard stores container quite clearly. (*))

Good luck with your model - quite an ambitious project however, you have made an excellent start. A helluva a lot better than anything I could do - that's for sure. Please keep us updated with your progress. (Thumb)

Varley
22nd January 2012, 15:45
Roddie san,

Should probably be repeated or asked in the IT forum but my guru (actually school caretaker) gave me two possible solutions. Pictures should be saved as JPEG. To manipulate photos then "picasa3' is availabl free from Google - haven't tried it myself so don't know how idiot proof it is.

I would love to see them too if you don't get to post them will you EMAIL them to me direct?

David. Model is great anyway, ignore all carping, you must have the greatest of patience.

David V

Gulpers
22nd January 2012, 17:06
Roddie,

Another option, if you are using Windows 7, you can use the 'Paint' application to resize photographs. (Thumb)

Stephen J. Card
22nd January 2012, 18:01
Nice model but two points I'm afraid...

on the foredeck.... 10 container bays, not 11

and...

all them boxes should be WHITE!!

Difficult ship to model... lots of curves and streamlining... definitely a racer compared to the big boats today.

Stephen

Gulpers
22nd January 2012, 18:48

and...

Difficult ship to model... lots of curves and streamlining... definitely a racer compared to the big boats today.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Definitely 11 bays on foredeck, 3 aft of accommodation. Check here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/44029/title/gtv-eurofreighter/cat/513). (Thumb)
Agree with your comment about the curves, I imagine they would be very difficult to model.
Hats off to David for even attempting the project. (Applause)

John Cassels
22nd January 2012, 20:17

and...

Stephen

"Fraid not , 11 bays forward of acc.block and the containers all
ended up a dirty shade of grey !.

randcmackenzie
22nd January 2012, 23:38
Thanks for the tips on how to reduce photo sizes, I'll give them a try - I am using Windows XP, and the photos are all from slides I have scanned in.

Bay 1 was on deck, and from some of the photos I can now refresh my memory.

I think it was 8 across 2 high.

When coming off the forecastle, you came down on to the deckhead of the stores p & s, then down a further ladder to maindeck level.

I remember on cold wet nights (Zeebrugge comes to mind at once) we all used to line up for shelter between the breakwater brackets.

I don't miss that a bit.

Best regards.

muldonaich
23rd January 2012, 02:30
Hello Dave.

I've got some pictures of Asiafreighter in Emden - definitely 2 A brackets.

My pictures are all over 800kb, and the max upload here is 500 - what to do sahib?

B/R,

Roddie
yes roddie they all had two a frames on the props but can you remember where the spare was stored i rember the blades on them were 13 feet wide brgds kev.

airds
23rd January 2012, 02:54
Not my attempt guys - just came across it :-(

John Cassels
23rd January 2012, 10:19
yes roddie they all had two a frames on the props but can you remember where the spare was stored i rember the blades on them were 13 feet wide brgds kev.

Was the spare prop not stored in bay 12/13 ?.

Stephen J. Card
23rd January 2012, 10:32
Hi Stephen,

Definitely 11 bays on foredeck, 3 aft of accommodation. Check here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/44029/title/gtv-eurofreighter/cat/513). (Thumb)
Agree with your comment about the curves, I imagine they would be very difficult to model.
Hats off to David for even attempting the project. (Applause)

Ray....

Quite right! I was missing No. 1. Almost hidden away in most photos. Apologies to the model builder!

Reminds me of the passage in Thomas' Stowage... "Received on board for carriage - 13 bays of 40 foot containers,1 more bay in dispute. If on board to be delivered" !!!!

Stephen

muldonaich
23rd January 2012, 19:19
Was the spare prop not stored in bay 12/13 ?.i remember it was stored in bay 14 against the bulkhead i could be wrong its so long kev.

Gulpers
23rd January 2012, 19:36
i remember it was stored in bay 14 against the bulkhead i could be wrong its so long kev.

Think you are right Kev, Bay 14 is where I picture it in my mind's eye too.

John Cassels
23rd January 2012, 19:37
Heavens sake Kev , what's a bay among friends !.

randcmackenzie
24th January 2012, 00:35
Heavens sake Kev , what's a bay among friends !.

I don't remember a prop anywhere fellows, with 4 ships on such a regular run they wouldn't be obliged to carry them, and in any case they would have needed two.

In any case a few spare blades would have been enough.

I've got a photo of Hold 8 (Bay 14) with the lid off taken in the yard, and I'm sure there are no props there.

I'll have a look, and if there is I'll say nothing!

B/R,

Roddie.

muldonaich
24th January 2012, 08:10
there definitly was angus macaskill and i mesured it it was 13ft across at the widest point brgds kev.

John Cassels
24th January 2012, 09:51
I don't remember a prop anywhere fellows, with 4 ships on such a regular run they wouldn't be obliged to carry them, and in any case they would have needed two.

In any case a few spare blades would have been enough.

I've got a photo of Hold 8 (Bay 14) with the lid off taken in the yard, and I'm sure there are no props there.

I'll have a look, and if there is I'll say nothing!

B/R,

Roddie.

Seem to remember ( it's yonks ago now) that we used to carry
boxes said to contain radioactive material and they were stowed
underdeck bay 13 ( I think). Mate always had to be there , that's
where the "vision "of the spare prop comes from. This was from
Weehauken.

Tom S
24th January 2012, 11:15
Just like to get my tuppence worth in agree 11 Bays foredeck and 3 on the after deck and I can confirm with Kev the spare prop was in Bay 14. When the Eurofreighter was fitted with Big Bertha in Falmouth we looked at the possibility of changing the spare with the one we took of but it was a none starter
Tom