Uss Charles F Adams

Fairfield
5th July 2004, 21:21
Name ship of a large class of destroyers photographed in Glasgow in 1972 on a NATO Squadron visit.Some of these went to other navies,Germany and Australia to name but two.I think some of the German examples are still in commission (ROMMEL,LUTJENS etc)

Bob S
18th April 2005, 20:40
The destroyer CHARLES F ADAMS (DDG2) seen outward bound passing Tilbury on the River Thames

Bob S
18th April 2005, 20:43
Australia had three, BRISBANE, HOBART & PERTH.

BRISBANE (D41) was photographed at the Queens Silver Jubilee Review at Spithead on the 26th June 1977.

Bob S
18th April 2005, 20:47
Germany also had three, LUTJENS, MOLDERS & ROMMEL.

MOLDERS (D186) was photographed in the West India Dock, London during December 1997.

jimmyc
24th July 2006, 11:59
Australia had three, BRISBANE 41, HOBART 39 & PERTH 38.

PS we got a 4th for spare parts USS GOLDSBOROUGH was decommissioned and stricken from the Naval Vessels Register on 29 April 1993. She was sold to Australia as a parts hulk in September the same year
BRISBANE (D41) was photographed at the Queens Silver Jubilee Review at Spithead on the 26th June 1977.

I served on Hobart 74/77 onboard 76 US Bicentennial
Brisbane 77/79 onboard Queens Silver Jubilee
almost everyone onboard went to the States to do
speciallist courses

I spent 4 months at "Damneck Tech"
US Fleet Anti-Air Warfare Training Centre
Damneck Virginia
Mk 118 computer course for the Tartar Missile System onboard

15 months later got posted to Missile Computer Room Hmas Hobart
finally got to be in/charge missile computer

Great Ships fond memories

trotterdotpom
24th July 2006, 12:25
See posts elsewhere on site re HMAS Brisbane's sinking off Queensland's Sunshine Coast to make an artificial reef. She was shown on TV recently and has already attracted a variety of residents.

John T.

jimmyc
24th July 2006, 12:52
this is to a US Tin Can Sailor (Destroyer) site
http://www.charlesfadams.com/

jimmyc
28th July 2006, 23:55
Charles F Adams Class Guided Missile Destroyers
Hmas Perth 38
Hmas Hobart 39
Hmas Brisbane 41
A real warrie this time - will bring memories flooding back of the time you were with The Grey Funnel Line. Download from the link below
Your file "DDG's.wmv" (5,665,807 b) is now hosted by our hosting service.

Link to file: http://www.mytempdir.com/832689

mike hutcheson
29th July 2006, 07:35
Guess you may have run into a seaman on Hobart.... Daryl Williams, short cocky guy...used to work with him in communications.

jimmyc
29th July 2006, 07:40
Guess you may have run into a seaman on Hobart.... Daryl Williams, short cocky guy...used to work with him in communications.
Sorry
name does not ring a bell
I was onboard with 333 men in 74/to 77
could have some memory blanks since then
I was well hidden down missile computer room
or greenies mess deck

ffv1607
17th September 2006, 20:22
Hi all: Just thought I'd introduce myself. I am Richard Watson, Jr. ("Rick" to friends and co-workers) and served on the Adams Class ship Barney (DDG-6).

I am also the current Vice President of the Adams Class Veterans Assoc. (website: http://adamsclassddgvets.org/)

As you may (or may not) be aware, Charles F. Adams (DDG-2) is now the only ship of this Class left in the States. She is currently on Donation Hold at the NAVSEA facility at the (former) Philadelphia Naval Shipyard.

Our organization (Adams Class Veterans Assoc) is currently working to save the "old girl" as a Museum. If you would like to join our efforts to save Adams; please check out our website. We are also interested in any stories that you may have on your time on Adams or any of the Adams Class Ships. While we are making an effort to save Adams, it is our intent to have something on all the ships in the Class including those that were built for the Australian and German Navies as well as those that were transferred to the Greek Navy.

Sincerely

Richard A. Watson, Jr.

Adams Class Veterans Association VP
USS Orion (AS-18) Storekeeper 1983-1984
USS Barney (DDG-6) Storekeeper 1984-1986
Member: USS Barney (DDG-6) Association
Member: Tin Can Sailors, Inc - The National Association of Destroyer Veterans
Member: USS Orion (AS-18) Veterans Historical Association
mailto:VicePres@AdamsClassDDGVets.org
Adams Class Veterans Assoc website: http://adamsclassddgvets.org/

Tony Breach
17th September 2006, 20:50
Richard,

Your nation has done a fantastic job in ship preservation. During my 11 years in the U.S., I visited as many sites as possible & have a large collection of photos taken of preserved ships & I am still a member of the National Historical Society. I wish the UK could do as well as you have done.

I sincerely hope that you are successful in your efforts to secure the CHARLES F. ADAMS for posterity. If you did it for CONSTITUTION & NEW JERSEY I'm sure you can do it with ADAMS!

Good Luck.

fred henderson
17th September 2006, 20:52
A warm welcome Rick. Glad to have you on board, to add to our USN expertise.

Fred(Thumb)

jimmyc
22nd September 2006, 08:36
Well done Richard
great class of ship
I served on 2 Charles F Adams ships
Hmas Hobart about 5 years
Hmas Brisbane 2 years
I have visited the sites that you have mentioned
Bravo Zulu mate

jimmyc
4th November 2006, 21:26
Pride of the fleet
I served onboard DDG 39 Hmas Hobart
And DDG 41 Hmas Brisbane
DDG Guided Missile Destroyer American built ships

click onto link and sign up

http://www.gunplot.net/photsection/displayimage.php?album=9&pos=14

neil t
12th February 2011, 22:10
The Greek Navy purchased 4 ex US Navy examples when they were retired between 1991 and 1992. They were decommissioned between 2002 and 2004.

Hawkeye
13th February 2011, 01:20
The Greeks purchased 5 ex US Navy examples. The fifth was the Richard E. Byrd, purchased for spare parts. She wasn't commissioned into the Greek Navy.

jimmyc
13th February 2011, 01:46
4th DDG bought by Australia for spare parts
The three Australian ships incorporated the Ikara ASW system and the three German ships incorporated macks. The RAN ships were Perth DDG 38 (DDG-25), retired in 1999, Hobart DDG 39 (DDG-26) and Brisbane DDG 41 (DDG-27). The class was modernized to handle the Harpoon missile and the Phalanx CIWS. The Ikara system was landed in 1991. The RAN bought the Goldsborough DDG-20 in 1993 in order to cannibalize the ship for parts for their three destroyers of the class. The stripped hulk was scrapped the following year.
Note the (DDG's 25,26,27) were the American numbers

jimmyc
13th February 2011, 01:57
USS Glodsborough remained in the States
Aussies painted hull number 40 on it
Yanks were not impressed original number was reinstated

neil t
13th February 2011, 10:09
The Greeks purchased 5 ex US Navy examples. The fifth was the Richard E. Byrd, purchased for spare parts. She wasn't commissioned into the Greek Navy.

Yes your right Hawkeye, i noticed that that was the case when i looked in my old Janes.

jamesgpobog
18th February 2012, 19:12
Here's an Adams class ship being unreped by Mispillion AO 105, in the Tonkin Gulf, 1972.