Bendearg

Roddy Munro
17th January 2006, 20:37
Is there anyone out there browsing the Ben Line part of SN.who might have sailed on the Bendearg from 8/68-8/70 Spent that time as EDH and we had more or less the same fantastic bunch of guys on deck for the two years.What a team.
Roddy Munro
Stornoway

EBenarty
25th March 2006, 21:43
(EEK) Was Tommy Dunston Bosun then ???

Roddy Munro
28th March 2006, 21:45
Hi EBenarty
Thanks for your query, but no .We had Jimmy Watt from Aberdeen as bosun,and Lindsay Young Edinburgh as chippy.Both great guys.

wully farquhar
28th March 2006, 22:07
Roddy,is Jimmy Watt still on the go,sailed with him on the Ben loyal.
Cheers,---------------Wully (Thumb)

Roddy Munro
29th March 2006, 19:36
Could'nt say for sure Wully.Something at the back of my mind keeps telling me that I heard a while back that Jimmy had passed away.I would like to be proved wrong.
Maybe some of the Aberdeen boys could put us right.
Cheers Wully.

EBenarty
29th March 2006, 20:54
Hi EBenarty
Thanks for your query, but no .We had Jimmy Watt from Aberdeen as bosun,and Lindsay Young Edinburgh as chippy.Both great guys.

Iwas with Jimmy Watt as AB and Bosun after these dates on the Cruachan and Lawers - I have heard of Lindsay Young but never sailed with him. Was Ralph Cowie Captain, Jimmy Torrie, Mel Bertram ABs then?

Fairfield
30th March 2006, 04:34
Taken in November 1975 approaching King George V Dock in Glasgow. Maybe some of you out there were on board then.

dom
30th March 2006, 05:08
would jimmy watts come from peebles at one time,sailed witth a jmmy watts out of leith a few times,great shipmate

Roddy Munro
31st March 2006, 11:27
Sorry dom,but the Jimmy Watt we had on Dearg as bosun was definately from Aberdeen.
In reply to EBenarty for most of the time we were under the command of capt J R Morrison. Came from Aylth in Perthshire I think.On his trips off,we had capts Barr and Yuill.
Always remember when you did a wheel on the evening 4-8 capt Morrison would come up to the bridge after his dinner in spotless whites,walk out to the wing,tilt his head back to catch a cooling breeze,and smoke a fat cigar.The memories are steaming back!!!

wully farquhar
31st March 2006, 18:00
Hi Roddy,Have a look on the Ben line site and you will see a picture of Jimmy Watt, taken when aboard Bendearg.
Cheers,----------Wully

Roddy Munro
2nd April 2006, 15:38
Thanks Wully . Yes Iv'e seen that photo,think it was in the early 70s.Wish they would update that site,it's like two years since it was last done.The chap who was running the site was last heard of working in Japan
Cheers ----------Roddy

Alistair Spence
2nd March 2008, 13:10
was onboard the'Dearg on that November trip to Glasgow and have not so fond memories of pumping neat scotch into the Clyde. 100,000case of Scotch for Mombassa and the most broken glass I'd ever seen. Haven't touched a drop of the stuff since.

Roddy Munro
2nd March 2008, 14:44
Alistair
What really was the Bendearg doing in Glasgow at that time.Was she on charter.Wasnt on of the regular ports we visited on the two years I was on her.
Roddy

BRIAN WESTGARTH
4th March 2008, 16:00
Last time I saw Jimmy Watt was on the Drill Ship Benlomond, I seem to remember he was Crane Driver in charge of all the local deck crowd.

Alistair Spence
6th March 2008, 17:02
Roddy, sorry, can't tell you why she was in Glasgow. I was on her as a cadet, I think because I'd just come off her sister the Benstac. I'd signed on for the home coast and the voyage, which was to include Mombassa with the cargo of Scotch Whisky we'd picked up in Glasgow but I was then taken off in Birkenhead and flown to join the Benalder. Not for me to question why. it wouldn't surprise me if she was on charter, i seemed to keep getting those.

bulwark
6th March 2008, 22:30
I sailed with a Jim Watt(AB) from Kinross on the Benstac and also with a Jim Watt or Geddes as Bosun on the Benhiant. I can't remember which one was his surname. Can anyone put me right, many thanks.
Murdo

Roddy Munro
6th March 2008, 22:32
Thanks for the reply Alistair .And cheers even if all that was left was glass.
Roddy.

Dons1983
14th March 2008, 18:38
Jimmy Watt was a good friend of mine deepsea / offshore & onshore but sadly he passed away suddenly about 18 months ago - Jimmy had only been retired a couple of years prior to this. Another seagoing friend Frank Thom also passed away about a year ago.

Roddy Munro
14th March 2008, 21:44
Dons1983
Thanks very much for passing on,(for me anyway) that piece of very sad news.I really liked Jimmy Watt.Great bosun on board,and a great guy ashore.Your thread answers a lot of questions as to the whereabouts of Jimmy.Now we know.RIP
Roddy Munro

wully farquhar
14th March 2008, 22:17
Yes sure thing Dons1983,sad to hear about Jimmy Watt,sailed with Jimmy on the Benloyal for a couple of trips,he was EDH then

ian keyl
17th March 2008, 01:30
Hi Roddy,

I was on the coast on the Dearg 11/68-12/68 as 3rd mate then staight to Ledi for the coast and Christmas in Middlesbro. Ian Mackay was ch/off and Danny Sinclair was old man.

I remember all the names that have been posted in this thread as I used to send or phone you guys when you were on leave and advise you when you were rejoining your v/l or your next appointment.

I remember Lindsay Young on the Valla when i was there for a year 9/65-9/66, Lindsay was chippy and what i guy not so young then but had lived a hard life and sadley suffered for many years with his eyesight. Lindsay made his own string vests with a large investment in swann Vesta matches trying to light his fags .Lindsay would burn more holes in his vests when screwing down tank lids than soft mick, he was such a charactor.
It was him that told me to invest in womans tight to wear under your uniform and boiler suits to keep warm in the winter on stand bye going up the rivers of northern europe ,especially the Elbe.
All the Bosuns and Chippys were great men and friends to many but many had served in the war and by the late 60's were due thier days on the coast before retierment, I remember talking to Davie Drummond from Inverkeithing trying to persude him to take a bosuns job ,eventually he did it ,another charactor was Big Charlie Sedgewick and yes I remember Jimmy Watt as an EDH all people who had alot to offer in experience .

Iam sure we have sailed somewhere together Roddy, The crew I remember on the Valla was Lindsay Young chippy, Willie Magregor Bosun, (never liked ch/off Robin Galloway, Willie Preferred his old previous ch/off John Macleod from the islands?) Charlie Bell AB, big John McNeil AB (Barra) John Banks EDH ,Roddy MacSween AB, ? Farquhar SOS (blonde young lad from islands) ? Macleod EDH (blonde thin a as rake in port never sober but could always break out the gear ,do the hatches put up the rain tents and still have a few more cans before going ashore ) Fraser Walker 1st mate from Edinburgh,AAndy Davidson was 2nd mate from Aberdeen, Seaton Murray Old man, Fraser Sparks ?, George Macdonald Ch/eng from Aberdeen, Big Colin 2nd/eng,

Roddy was Iain Morrison from Perthshire the golfer the old man on the Dearg for the voy around about 68. I remember Vic Wyatt was 1st mate on the coast,then I few more coast I sailed with him again as ch/off.

The grew matter is fading so i will turn in .
Keep the threads coming lads especially on willie tam sings navy.

Rgds Ian.

Roddy Munro
17th March 2008, 22:34
HI IAN
We probably did cross paths.I joined the Bendearg on 8/8/68 and paid off on 13/11/68.Now for some reason that entry in my book has HT against it.Either its a mistake or a very long coast.The next entry is dated 14/11/68 I stayed on her until Sept 19 70.
Not too good with names myself,I see you have no problem. I sailed with Davy Drummond and Charlie Sedgwick also the late Jimmy Watt.I new a few of the others you mention by meeting in different ports.The ch/of Macleod on the Valla who was later to become Capt Macleod was a neighbour of mine.Sadly he passed away a number of years ago.He was well liked by all who sailed with him. Roddy Macsween is now retired from Cal Mac.
Our capt was Capt Morrison from Alyth think thats in Perth or Angus Very strict but very fair.Did quite a lot of trips with him as he was on the Benalder and I did three voyages with him then.If we did sail together you'll have to forgive me for not remembering the name.As I said not too good at that.
Cheers.--------Roddy

Ben Dearg
26th March 2008, 20:50
I was Peggy on this ship in July 1968. The chinese cooks were A1 from haggis - dim sum!!

cross62
23rd May 2008, 20:09
Have just come across this site and I have been browsing through to see if I recognise any names. I was lucky enough to serve twice on the Bendearg as a deck cadet.

I joined her on my first trip in December 1979. We had a great bunch of lads on board, Captain was Willie Spencer, C/O Tricky Dickey Coles, 2/0 Terry Roberts, 3/0 Andy Gibson, deck cadets Frank Rossiter, Angus McAskill ( big red the pisshead ), Ally Walgate and myself. Roger Goudie was the bosun, cant remember all the AB's names, I think there was a guy called Lennie, Barnie McLeod ( from the Islands ), George ? the chippie to name a few.

I did a trip on the City of Edinburgh and re-joined the Dearg in April, 1981 which turned about to be her last voyage as a Ben Boat. J.D Pryde was skipper, C/O Vic Wyatt, 1/0 Chris Claddingbowl, 3/0 Zander ( from the Shetlands ). The other cadets were Sandy ( wee man ) Plant, Eddie ( Capone ) Boyd and a guy Niven ( Shaggy ) from Castle Douglas.

We only did 2 months on the ship before flying home from Singapore. The ship was sold and it became the New Panther or something similar. It was an eventful trip, especially when it came to leaving the ship. 2 buses turned up to take us to our hotels so we loaded all our gear on board. 1 bus for the officers and the other for the crew. When J D Pryde found out that the crew's bus had air conditioning and we didn't, he ordered everyone to unload their gear so that we got the bus with the AC!

I don't know where the crew went but we got rooms at Raffles Hotel, even though we were flying home later that night. Vic Wyatt had a few drinks ( as did we all ) and decided to get up from his seat during the ascent from the airport. He stood up in the aisle and changed his trousers! I don't think a ship's crew flying home would get away with some of the things that went on nowadays!

I served with Ben Line from 1979 - 1986 but I have special memories of the time I served on the Bendearg and the people and places I visited.

Calum Ross

Roger Goudie
1st July 2008, 10:21
Hi Calum
I remember that flight home we also misplaced an OS in singapore he
decided against advice to visit Bugi St and we never saw him again a lad from Dundee he was,not the only time he did not pay any attention to me that voyage I fear.I sat across the aisle from Vic Wyatt that day some flight it was. Zander and I both work on the tugs at Sullom Voe now.
All the best Roger Goudie

john fraser
1st July 2008, 18:46
Hi Roger.
Was Vic Wyatt taking care of you or you taking care of him Lol!!!

ian keyl
2nd July 2008, 09:42
Hi John ,
Long time no talk i remember you when i was crewing ben vessels in the Edinbrugh office, that was before I took off to the crap world of containerisation. You mentioned vic Wyatt in your last thread and i must say I sailed with Vic as master then mate then back up to C/o ,I had many a chat with him over a cup of tea and was a converted man,that was back in the late 60's very early 70's. Tragic to listen to people who opened thier hearts to talk about thier problem . I have to say we all could have been on the same road but I admire aperson who was master then down to mate who had to work and up and down the hatches doing his job ,the very same he had done years before he was a master. I takes strength to work with people who were cadets when you were a master then the rolls are reversed . Donald Cowie was a good mate of Vic and i remember donald one noght on the bridge wing talking to me about Vic as we had just seen them in Bangkok. Donald said dont ever loose sight of your ties at home keep them uppermost and hopefully you want loose your way.

Maybe it worked on me but later in my career when I sailed with Vic as C/o ifelt very sorry for him as I think he becane isolated even though he worked extremly hard. Does anyone know of his status at present (no doubt retired) but did he goback to Saudi Shields.

Rgds ian.

Tom S
2nd July 2008, 13:36
Ian
I sailed with Vic on the infamous voyage when he had all his troubles.It was on the Benrinnes,Ian Shephard was Chief Off and I was Mate, One night in the Indian Ocean Vic came onto the Bridge and asked me to get Ian he then brought out the Official Logbook in which he made the entry that he was suffering from the DT,s and was handing over Command to Ian. Knew he was drinking heavy but all the same it came as a bit of a shock.He steadly got worse even although we severely limited his alcohol intake had to get the Cadets to keep a watch on him. Things got so bad we had to divert to Colombo to land him there Hank the Yank met us there and we carried on to Port Swettenham without a Master and J.Muir took over on his first Command.
As you say he had a lot of problems and I felt really sorry for him. I was glad when I heard he got his act to-gether
Tom

john fraser
2nd July 2008, 16:06
Ian.
Any time I sailed with Vic Wyatt,coastwise.in any position .I always found him to be a caring person.in fact you could say,a gentleman.I just had to make a crack at Roger.In fact all my years in Ben line.(27 years) I don,t think I ever sailed with a bad master,an awkward or difficult one,maybe but never as bad one.I sit aboard here and often wonder where they all are now but we forget that as we get a year older,so does the ones who were ahead of us.Its hard for me to think that it is 16 years since the end of Ben Line.I met Duncan Sutherland once in Inverness,he was with Gearbulk, but must be retired now.Always look for him when I am there. I also have Martin Burbridge,staying near me.He was on the box boats then went to the drilling side.Thats about all I have seen from Ben Line since they finished.
27 year and never did get a tie or the cufflinks.

Stuart Polson
3rd July 2008, 00:29
I sailed with Vic Wyatt on the Dearg in 1980 the trip we picked up the Vietnamese refugees and landed them in Singapore, my second trip to sea. The Captain was Joe Scofield, Ch Mate Vic Wyatt,2nd Mate Ian McBain 3rd Mate John Smith, Cadets Davy Hardie, Ian King, Andy Douglas and myself. Engineers!? Alan Hall 4/E, 2nd. Elect'n Bob (the Dog) Neilsen.

Vic Wyatt must have left Ben Line a while before the end, I heard from someone who had sailed with him previously that he passed away in his cabin at sea (with another company) on ship bound for Australia.

cross62
4th July 2008, 19:28
Good to hear from you Roger, I think you were on the Bendearg my first trip as well in December 1979. I remember meeting Angus McAskill ( big red the pisshead ) on the train down to Hull who was also a first trip cadet. I also met up with the chippy George Robertson on the way down. We turned up at the ship at 5am and there were bodies everywhere after a session the night before. Tony Bendelow, Taff Evans and a few others had visited the ship from Hull Nautical College, got pissed and fell asleep in the smoke room. I got my first can of beer thrust into my had about 7 and had a few more after that.

I must have been very naive in those days, when the others paid off I thought time for a kip after a long journey on the train and a few drinks .......... No way, boiler suit on and away you go for the next 5 months!

Do you remember Big Red, I think he got his tap stopped 3 weeks after turning 18 .............. must be a record in Ben Line unless anyone knows different!

Give my regards to Zander, hope you are both well.

Regards
Calum

cross62
9th July 2008, 14:17
I sailed with Vic Wyatt on the Dearg in 1980 the trip we picked up the Vietnamese refugees and landed them in Singapore, my second trip to sea. The Captain was Joe Scofield, Ch Mate Vic Wyatt,2nd Mate Ian McBain 3rd Mate John Smith, Cadets Davy Hardie, Ian King, Andy Douglas and myself. Engineers!? Alan Hall 4/E, 2nd. Elect'n Bob (the Dog) Neilsen.

Vic Wyatt must have left Ben Line a while before the end, I heard from someone who had sailed with him previously that he passed away in his cabin at sea (with another company) on ship bound for Australia.
Stuart .... or should I say Hagar! You must have joined the Bendearg as I was paying off. You would have sailed with Andy Douglas who I was at college with. He is a police officer with Lothian and Borders the same as myself. I see him occasionally and Gordon Finnie who is also with Lothian and Borders. I also keep in touch with Pete Sinclair. He just finished with Calmac and is now an Asst. Harbour Master at Grangemouth. With regards to Vic Wyatt, he was a gentleman and treated the cadets well.

Regards
Calum

David Wilcockson
9th July 2008, 14:56
Calum
Do you have any background to Gordon Finnie you mention in your last posting. I sailed with a fellow cadet by that name in 1966/67 who had served part of his time with ED`s, but then finished it off with Larrinaga`s of Liverpool. Couldn`t be the same person, could it?
Cheers,
David

cross62
10th July 2008, 09:40
Sorry David, Gordon joined Ben Line in 1980 and left just after me in 1986 so it can't be the same person.

Regards
Calum

David Wilcockson
10th July 2008, 11:20
Thanks Calum.
David

Yum Lam
10th September 2012, 16:32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am one of those lucky Vietnamese boat boy who was picked up from the vast sea... I have been living in UK since Oct 1980...
I'd like to take this opportunity to thanking you and ALL who saved me and others 78 vietnamese on that boat.

Please get in touch.

Many many thanks,

Yum Lam

eyemouthlad
26th November 2012, 13:23
hi all, just wondering if anyone knew an Alex Geddes (sailed Ben Line 1960s) working out of leith, from Eyemouth in Berwickshire. thanks

wully farquhar
26th November 2012, 19:02
I sailed with a fellow from Eyemouth with the Ben Line mid sixties,cannot remember his name now(long time ago(EEK))he used to put model ships into bottles (Haigs Dimple bottles was his favourite(Jester)) as a past time.

bulwark
28th November 2012, 18:45
Just been reading the above posts, trying to refresh the old grey matter. Came across Roddy Macsween's name and wonder if this was the same Roddy from Uist that I sailed with on the "Loyal". Just heard a week or so ago that he passed away about a year ago.