London nautical school - Woolverstone

Alan Rawlinson
25th January 2012, 12:29
Any old boys from LNS Woolverstone around?

We are all getting on a bit, but the memories are fresh! the uniforms, the discipline, the fences, the ' liberty bus' and the weekly matches against Ganges in cricket or football - not to forget the boating on the river Orwell.

Alan Rawlinson
31st January 2012, 17:35
Any old boys from LNS Woolverstone around?

We are all getting on a bit, but the memories are fresh! the uniforms, the discipline, the fences, the ' liberty bus' and the weekly matches against Ganges in cricket or football - not to forget the boating on the river Orwell.

Looks like I am the last onr standing... ( switch off the lights?) I did go back in the 80's when it was a boarding school, and all the old Nissan huts had long gone, and it was all grassed over. Quite an eerie feeling.

For the record , the boys in 12 Dorm were Alex Loveday; Peter Lightbody; Jack Wesson; Mick Mann, yours truly, and a few others.

2newfie
1st February 2012, 03:19
There are a couple of us who were there in 1950 as the forerunners of the LCC boarding school and so were there for the last year of LNS.We were in 6 dorm.

Alan Rawlinson
2nd February 2012, 08:07
There are a couple of us who were there in 1950 as the forerunners of the LCC boarding school and so were there for the last year of LNS.We were in 6 dorm.

Thank goodness for that!

I was getting that feeling like I was all alone - just like a spooky movie!

I am aware of a couple of lads ( now approaching 80) who were there in 1950, and later went into the Bank Line where I was, one of whom was a bugler calling us to that freezing shower block every morning....

cheers
Alan

2newfie
3rd February 2012, 02:15
Our dorm monitor a chap called "Apples"Hepworth was one of those buglers.We were in Foretop Division.One of us newbies had to get up and open the window by his bed so that he could sound "Reveille" and "Showers" without leaving the warmth of his bed.

Alan Rawlinson
4th February 2012, 09:01
Our dorm monitor a chap called "Apples"Hepworth was one of those buglers.We were in Foretop Division.One of us newbies had to get up and open the window by his bed so that he could sound "Reveille" and "Showers" without leaving the warmth of his bed.

I remember the name.

I ended up in charge of 12 Dorm and from memory the 'new' lads were 11 yrs old? Can recall some of the names - Gilbert, Day, Evans. Day was a tubby lad.

My claim to fame was the daily task of hoisting the flag at the morning Divisions. and was assisted by a boy called White.

Presumably you had a few years in civilian clothes, and later had a career starting at sea?

Cheers/Alan Rawlinson

jimthehat
4th February 2012, 22:50

I wonder if you were there for the first year of woolverstone hall?
I still have the school photo which was taken at the back of the school in October 1951,its one of those old long photos ,and we looked a fine bunch of lads.
I think that 6 dorm was foretop div and the last hut on the front row far left.
I was a buglar,tried for the band but was hopeless.

Jim ferrier(haggis)

2newfie
5th February 2012, 02:57
I still have the school photo which was taken at the back of the school in October 1951,its one of those old long photos ,and we looked a fine bunch of lads.

Jim ferrier(haggis)

I was there for the first year of woolverstone hall 6 dorm was foretop but was all alone by itself near to the shower block.

2newfie
5th February 2012, 02:58
I remember the name.

I ended up in charge of 12 Dorm and from memory the 'new' lads were 11 yrs old? Can recall some of the names - Gilbert, Day, Evans. Day was a tubby lad.

My claim to fame was the daily task of hoisting the flag at the morning Divisions. and was assisted by a boy called White.

Presumably you had a few years in civilian clothes, and later had a career starting at sea?

Cheers/Alan Rawlinson

Those are names that bring back memories.I left to join the MN in 1955

jimthehat
5th February 2012, 10:41
Those are names that bring back memories.I left to join the MN in 1955

I expect then that there are quite a few of us around who are standing proud in my photo,I left in summer 52 and i was in Johnstones house.i am not savvy enough to transfer the photo onto the web site,I would have to copy it in two sections and then the difficult part .

jim

Alan Rawlinson
5th February 2012, 20:30

Jim ferrier(haggis)

Jim

Always wanted to be a drummer, but didn't have the nerve to try!

Loved the band, especially on Divisions, playing " On the Quarterdeck " , and the march down to the church. Can also remember the church services and the boring sermons when we got up to various tricks to pass the time.

On another tack, there was a stocky lad called Tribe in our Dorm, and I seem to remember him getting involved in a punch-up or two. Do you recall the name?

2newfie
6th February 2012, 03:17
I was in Corners after LNS closed

jimthehat
6th February 2012, 08:45
I was in Corners after LNS closed

We are getting there yes I remember Tribe,one i used to keep clear of.In my dorm there were a couple of twins and we were very good mates they both went on to ganges.
So civvy houses,johnstons,Corners halls and i cant remember the fourth one.

jim

jimthehat
6th February 2012, 08:47
Jim

Always wanted to be a drummer, but didn't have the nerve to try!

Loved the band, especially on Divisions, playing " On the Quarterdeck " , and the march down to the church. Can also remember the church services and the boring sermons when we got up to various tricks to pass the time.

On another tack, there was a stocky lad called Tribe in our Dorm, and I seem to remember him getting involved in a punch-up or two. Do you recall the name?
Played the last post down at the church,but got excused church parade being a catholic.

2newfie
7th February 2012, 03:24
We are getting there yes I remember Tribe,one i used to keep clear of.In my dorm there were a couple of twins and we were very good mates they both went on to ganges.
So civvy houses,johnstons,Corners halls and i cant remember the fourth one.

jim

Hansons was the other and they later added Berners for !st years.I always the remember the Divisions on the road and the order that went out"RC'c and Jews fallout".I was quite willing to be one or the otheron a very cold morning.Guess that wouldn't be "politically correct" now(lol)

Alan Rawlinson
7th February 2012, 08:35
I often wondered what the regime was like after the nautical school ceased. I left in 51, the last year that the nautical regime operated. How different was it, I wonder? No uniforms, but what about being called to the showers by a bugle call ( 4 blasts for the quarterdeck) Did that stay the same?

Divisions?
Dormitory inspections?
March to church?

I gues the ' liberty bus' into Ipswich at weekends became a plain old minibus!

2newfie
8th February 2012, 03:26
I often wondered what the regime was like after the nautical school ceased. I left in 51, the last year that the nautical regime operated. How different was it, I wonder? No uniforms, but what about being called to the showers by a bugle call ( 4 blasts for the quarterdeck) Did that stay the same?

Divisions?
Dormitory inspections?
March to church?

I gues the ' liberty bus' into Ipswich at weekends became a plain old minibus!

We still had CPO Matthews getting us out of bed but other than that everything nautical disappeared.We kept the sailing dinghys and did eventually get a Sea Cadet Corps going but it mainly became ,whilst I was there,a typical boys boarding school.

jimthehat
8th February 2012, 10:23
We still had CPO Matthews getting us out of bed but other than that everything nautical disappeared.We kept the sailing dinghys and did eventually get a Sea Cadet Corps going but it mainly became ,whilst I was there,a typical boys boarding school.

Does anyone remember the crosscountry runs in mid winter?I won the intermediate and senior runs my last two years there,and was captain of the rugby team.

jim

Alan Rawlinson
8th February 2012, 12:28
Does anyone remember the crosscountry runs in mid winter?I won the intermediate and senior runs my last two years there,and was captain of the rugby team.

jim

Yes, Jim, remember them well. I never managed to win one, but got a huge kick out of starting at the back with all the fatties and secret smokers, and then working my way through the field to end up in the top 5 or so.

Alan Rawlinson
8th February 2012, 12:33

Thanks - was the band kept on?

I remember Mathews ( a great character, who got me on the right track). The other RN types were Pamplin and Denton. Did they stay on?

Do you remember Mr Mathews carried little poems on cards in his top pocket, which he could be induced to read out when he was in the right mood.

A few of us 'old boys' drove to his house to see him in Grays after his retirement, but he cleared off to the pub for a darts match, I think it was.!

Split
8th February 2012, 15:42

I remember Mathews ( a great character, who got me on the right track). The other RN types were Pamplin and Denton. Did they stay on?

Do you remember Mr Mathews carried little poems on cards in his top pocket, which he could be induced to read out when he was in the right mood.

A few of us 'old boys' drove to his house to see him in Grays after his retirement, but he cleared off to the pub for a darts match, I think it was.!

Why was it called London Nautical? I went to London Nautical School in Stamford Street where it moved from Comber Grove after being evacuated in Wales.

I left in 1948 and realise that the present school bears little resemblence to its nautical past.

jimthehat
8th February 2012, 23:09
Why was it called London Nautical? I went to London Nautical School in Stamford Street where it moved from Comber Grove after being evacuated in Wales.

I left in 1948 and realise that the present school bears little resemblence to its nautical past.

It was aschool set up and run by the london county council.
the school was split up into two withe boarding school at woolverstoneand the day school some where in the east end.

re staff the commander as we knew him stayed on and became the school burser and stands(sits) proud in the oct 51 photo as does Mr mathews and taffy Edwards the sports coach.
jim

2newfie
9th February 2012, 02:22

It was the first thing you heard as he marched from one Nissen hut to another,and he always took up where he left off as he carried on from one hut to the next.As far as I remember only he and Commander Wiseman remained after the change over.I remember Denton as well.

Alan Rawlinson
9th February 2012, 08:12
It was the first thing you heard as he marched from one Nissen hut to another,and he always took up where he left off as he carried on from one hut to the next.As far as I remember only he and Commander Wiseman remained after the change over.I remember Denton as well.

Interesting - I remember him fondly...

There was a Norwegian Nav teacher called Johannsson. I still have my reports, and one in particular, where he wrote the great slogan " This boy has more enthusiasm than natural ability " !

I'm still getting over it. He did steer me through ' O ' level Navigation, though. Always remember the ' O ' level seamanship, where we had to sail, row, and scull the big heavy whalers down on the Orwell. ( The paper was set by Pangbourne College, if I remember correctly)

jimthehat
9th February 2012, 09:36

There was a Norwegian Nav teacher called Johannsson. I still have my reports, and one in particular, where he wrote the great slogan " This boy has more enthusiasm than natural ability " !

I'm still getting over it. He did steer me through ' O ' level Navigation, though. Always remember the ' O ' level seamanship, where we had to sail, row, and scull the big heavy whalers down on the Orwell. ( The paper was set by Pangbourne College, if I remember correctly)
Now I remember nav and seamanship ,could not remember who set the papers but it was the school certificate and one had to get five subjects to gain the qualification ,

jim

Joe C
9th February 2012, 11:11

Excuse the intrusion onto your thread but there was a Capt. Johannsen at KEVII in '53 when I was there, who also had a good line in reports.When I laid out a fellow crewmember when shipping an oar he reported,"Better in charge of a boat than an oar!"I wonder, was it the same Capt.Johannsen?

Alan Rawlinson
9th February 2012, 12:02
Excuse the intrusion onto your thread but there was a Capt. Johannsen at KEVII in '53 when I was there, who also had a good line in reports.When I laid out a fellow crewmember when shipping an oar he reported,"Better in charge of a boat than an oar!"I wonder, was it the same Capt.Johannsen?

Hallo Joe,

Could well be the same bloke, as presumably the job at Woolverstone disappeared when they dropped the Nautical theme in 1951.

Even after all these years, I still have an image of him and he was not very tall - maybe about 5'9" or so ?? Trim built, as opposed to some of the lecturers!

Alan Rawlinson
9th February 2012, 12:13
I can recall a couple.........

Grout (Geography) - A huge bloke with 'club like' hands which he liked to use to cuff us round the head, frequently. ( Not allowed today, of course)

Lidster - Maths, and a bit of a tyrant in my book.

The Head ( name escapes me) appeared some 15 years later on the bridge of the ferry I was on - bombing along in the dark, and he came up the bridge ladder, a bit worse for wear. After a few minutes we had established our common time spent at Woolverstone, and then I had to get him removed as he was draped over the auto pilot.

jimthehat
9th February 2012, 22:54

Grout (Geography) - A huge bloke with 'club like' hands which he liked to use to cuff us round the head, frequently. ( Not allowed today, of course)

The Head ( name escapes me) appeared some 15 years later on the bridge of the ferry I was on - bombing along in the dark, and he came up the bridge ladder, a bit worse for wear. After a few minutes we had established our common time spent at Woolverstone, and then I had to get him removed as he was draped over the auto pilot.

Was that the same maths teacher who used to throw the blackboard wooden duster at anyone he perceived not to being attentive.

jim

2newfie
10th February 2012, 02:53

The Head ( name escapes me) appeared some 15 years later on the bridge of the ferry I was on - bombing along in the dark, and he came up the bridge ladder, a bit worse for wear. After a few minutes we had established our common time spent at Woolverstone, and then I had to get him removed as he was draped over the auto pilot.I remember Crout used to whack peoples desk with the rolled up wall maps if they weren't paying attention and I have known he chase a boy up the stairs walloping him with a golf club for forgetting his Geography books.(O happy days)He also was a bit fanatical about eating fish and woe betide any boy that left any on their plate.(Scribe)

Alan Rawlinson
10th February 2012, 09:59
I remember Crout used to whack peoples desk with the rolled up wall maps if they weren't paying attention and I have known he chase a boy up the stairs walloping him with a golf club for forgetting his Geography books.(O happy days)He also was a bit fanatical about eating fish and woe betide any boy that left any on their plate.(Scribe)

Can recall the woodwork bloke, called Young, and still have an oak stool that I made under his guidance.

Must have been 1950 or 1951 I was in the crew of his yacht when he entered the Harwich Regatta, and we were supposed to race 3 times around the SUNK light vessel ( in those days). Anyway, it got very rough, and the organisers shortened the course to twice round before calling it off. We fell foul of the old wreck outside of the entrance - believe the patch of shoals was called ' The rolling Stones ' ( Jim?) and there was a mast sticking up with shell holes in it. Mr Young's wife was spotted praying on her knees in the cabin! but being boys we thought it was all great fun.

The sequel was that when we finally got back up the Orwell to our moorings, and dug into beans on toast, he later discovered we had won the shortened course, and Young was presented with a cup.

Did he stay on, I wonder?

Split
10th February 2012, 14:54

Crikey! What an example!

jimthehat
10th February 2012, 15:56
Can recall the woodwork bloke, called Young, and still have an oak stool that I made under his guidance.

Must have been 1950 or 1951 I was in the crew of his yacht when he entered the Harwich Regatta, and we were supposed to race 3 times around the SUNK light vessel ( in those days). Anyway, it got very rough, and the organisers shortened the course to twice round before calling it off. We fell foul of the old wreck outside of the entrance - believe the patch of shoals was called ' The rolling Stones ' ( Jim?) and there was a mast sticking up with shell holes in it. Mr Young's wife was spotted praying on her knees in the cabin! but being boys we thought it was all great fun.

The sequel was that when we finally got back up the Orwell to our moorings, and dug into beans on toast, he later discovered we had won the shortened course, and Young was presented with a cup.

Did he stay on, I wonder?

Alan,
are you thinking of the rolling banks just east of the beach end?/

jim

Alan Rawlinson
10th February 2012, 16:09
Alan,
are you thinking of the rolling banks just east of the beach end?/

jim

Jim,

That's the place. There used to be a wreck there, with a mast sticking up, back in the 50's - but later removed. Also, the lightship (Sunk?) was also replaced, I think.

2newfie
11th February 2012, 02:26
Jim:
On another forum you mentioned getting a chit for kitting out at Monnerys,I to received the same chit and was told there was a fund for boys who entered the Merchant Navy which even carried over after LNS was finished.It included No.1 uniform,battledress,working gear,heavy weather gear and a No.10 uniform(which never saw the light of day.)E#verything a seagoing Apprentice needed.

Alan Rawlinson
11th February 2012, 08:06
Jim,

That's the place. There used to be a wreck there, with a mast sticking up, back in the 50's - but later removed. Also, the lightship (Sunk?) was also replaced, I think.

The lightship we raced round was the ' Cork Lightship '

2newfie
12th February 2012, 02:40
There is an ex Marconi/Bank line sparks who was also at Woolverstone named David Harrington.Don't know if you know him?

Alan Rawlinson
12th February 2012, 12:16
There is an ex Marconi/Bank line sparks who was also at Woolverstone named David Harrington.Don't know if you know him?

Don't recall him. The Woolverstone boys that I know went into Bankline were:-

(Mick) Mann- back in 1949
Weston - around 1950
Brian Lucy - Not sure. Brian says he was in 12 Dorm when I was there, but I don't recall it, so this is a complete mystery to me. Does anyone remember him at Woolverstone?
Jim - 1952

I left in 1951 to join the Forthbank.

I'm sure there were many more.

In my time, Mason went to Union Castle, and Wesson went to BP tankers.

Ron Stringer
12th February 2012, 12:43

Member oldmarconiman

oldmarconiman
16th February 2012, 09:54
Member oldmarconiman

Hi Ron, spot on! Went to Woolverstone along with "2newfie" - you running incognito these days Brian? "You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time" - LOL! (Wave)

Woolverstone Hall Boarding School for Boys, as it was to be known, opened on a trial basis in Sept 1950 and was officially opened the following year, but for that first year we shared the establishment with the remaining members of LNS Woolverstone - complete with buglers and nissan huts!

A prior posting named Taffy Edwards as PE Master, he was of course Taffy Evans, long since departed.

Matt Mathews was a great old character. He signed my autograph book with the quote - "Steer by your own compass!" which I surely did, sometimes through some pretty rough and murky seas though Matt.

I have mentioned it before but my time as an R.O. on the Eskbank and old liberty Corabank are recorded on my web site http://www.oldmarconiman.co.uk should anyone be interested. Both under Captain Sam Withers. Good ships and good memories of both.

Alan Rawlinson
16th February 2012, 15:58
Another Mathews story.............

He would occasionally ' lose it ' good time, and I can still see him standing between the 2 dining rooms where everyone could see him, and screaming " Your're just like chickens - you s--- and you jump in it! " This was after we had all been throwing cake around between the tables.

Alan Rawlinson
16th February 2012, 16:08
Hi Ron, spot on! Went to Woolverstone along with "2newfie" - you running incognito these days Brian? "You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time" - LOL! (Wave)

Woolverstone Hall Boarding School for Boys, as it was to be known, opened on a trial basis in Sept 1950 and was officially opened the following year, but for that first year we shared the establishment with the remaining members of LNS Woolverstone - complete with buglers and nissan huts!

A prior posting named Taffy Edwards as PE Master, he was of course Taffy Evans, long since departed.

Matt Mathews was a great old character. He signed my autograph book with the quote - "Steer by your own compass!" which I surely did, sometimes through some pretty rough and murky seas though Matt.

I have mentioned it before but my time as an R.O. on the Eskbank and old liberty Corabank are recorded on my web site http://www.oldmarconiman.co.uk should anyone be interested. Both under Captain Sam Withers. Good ships and good memories of both.

Just to mention I enjoyed your website and ' log book ' esp. the pictures of The Samfleet launching.

jimthehat
16th February 2012, 17:31
Don't recall him. The Woolverstone boys that I know went into Bankline were:-

(Mick) Mann- back in 1949
Weston - around 1950
Brian Lucy - Not sure. Brian says he was in 12 Dorm when I was there, but I don't recall it, so this is a complete mystery to me. Does anyone remember him at Woolverstone?
Jim - 1952

I left in 1951 to join the Forthbank.

I'm sure there were many more.

In my time, Mason went to Union Castle, and Wesson went to BP tankers.

cant remember Brian Lucy,but does anyone know pis phone number/cos if he was still at the school when we went into civvies then he is in my copy of the school photo..OCT 1951.

Alan Rawlinson
17th February 2012, 15:47
cant remember Brian Lucy,but does anyone know pis phone number/cos if he was still at the school when we went into civvies then he is in my copy of the school photo..OCT 1951.

Hi Jim,

Don't know Lucy's number, but when I was talking to him some years ago, he mentioned a tragic incident when a boy apparantly died in the tuck shop. Certainly didn't happen betwee 48 and 51 to my knowledge. Any ideas?

oldmarconiman
17th February 2012, 17:06
Just to mention I enjoyed your website and ' log book ' esp. the pictures of The Samfleet launching.

I was very chuffed to receive those photographs of that launching and permission from Mike Drydens' Grandmother to use them on the web site. Bit of real history.

ron vizard
1st March 2012, 10:46
My name is ron vizard, and I was one of the tiresome 11 year olds in 1950, and I stayed on till 1955. There is an active WHOBA site.
There was some discussion as to the history of the LNS.
To my knowledge it is briefly as follows.\
London Poor Law districts buy the hulk Goliath from the Admiralty in 1870.
It burns down in 1875.
Admiralty donates Exmouth in 1877.
Declared unseawothy in 1905.
Exmouth ll built by Metropolitan Asylum Board; purpose built.
LCC takes over from Asylum Board.
School goes shore based at Burnham on Croach in 1939.
Exmouth acquired by admiralty for service in Scapa Flow in 1942.
School moves to Lydney Glouc. in 1942.
School moves to Bray in 194?
To Woolverstone 1947?
LNS closes 1951, Boarding school opens.
School closed 1992.

The LNS in Stamford St. shared a governing body with LNSW. There is still some Exmouth paraphernalia there. They used Exmouth for training in the summer holidays pre war.

I was in Forecastle.
Hope this was of use.

jimthehat
1st March 2012, 16:32
My name is ron vizard, and I was one of the tiresome 11 year olds in 1950, and I stayed on till 1955. There is an active WHOBA site.
There was some discussion as to the history of the LNS.
To my knowledge it is briefly as follows.\
London Poor Law districts buy the hulk Goliath from the Admiralty in 1870.
It burns down in 1875.
Admiralty donates Exmouth in 1877.
Declared unseawothy in 1905.
Exmouth ll built by Metropolitan Asylum Board; purpose built.
LCC takes over from Asylum Board.
School goes shore based at Burnham on Croach in 1939.
Exmouth acquired by admiralty for service in Scapa Flow in 1942.
School moves to Lydney Glouc. in 1942.
School moves to Bray in 194?
To Woolverstone 1947?
LNS closes 1951, Boarding school opens.
School closed 1992.

The LNS in Stamford St. shared a governing body with LNSW. There is still some Exmouth paraphernalia there. They used Exmouth for training in the summer holidays pre war.

I was in Forecastle.
Hope this was of use.

Hi Ron,I to was in forecastle,no 1 dorm and was a buglar I left in summer 52 so we must have known each other I also have the school photo taken in Oct 51 so you must be standing proud somewhere,
did you go to sea,

jim(haggis)

ron vizard
1st March 2012, 19:44
Hello Jim

Were you Jim Ferrier?.

No, I didn't go to sea; I burst my eardrum whilst at WH, and I didn't realise how badly till after I started an apprenticeship, hated it, went to join a special entry to the RN with ONC, signed on for 12years with an option for 18, only to fail the medical.

You must of known Ray Boulding. He has just got in touch with the WHOBA site; I have, I hope, steered him to this. I am on that 1951 photo. I'll have to sort it out. (Just looked; I'm back row, third from right looking at photo., David Harrington is to my right.

You could try
www.whs-photo-archive.net/
Go to Life at WHS, then look at WHS Archive Photos, there's a list of year photos, plus some early pics I sent in.

jimthehat
1st March 2012, 23:08
Hello Jim

Were you Jim Ferrier?.

No, I didn't go to sea; I burst my eardrum whilst at WH, and I didn't realise how badly till after I started an apprenticeship, hated it, went to join a special entry to the RN with ONC, signed on for 12years with an option for 18, only to fail the medical.

You must of known Ray Boulding. He has just got in touch with the WHOBA site; I have, I hope, steered him to this. I am on that 1951 photo. I'll have to sort it out. (Just looked; I'm back row, third from right looking at photo., David Harrington is to my right.

You could try
www.whs-photo-archive.net/
Go to Life at WHS, then look at WHS Archive Photos, there's a list of year photos, plus some early pics I sent in.

Hi Ron, thats me jim ferrier,second back row 14 from left,yes Ray boulding rings a bell will look up your site.
regards
jim

jimthehat
27th March 2012, 16:10
facebook have just informed me that there a group of chaps on there who were at woolverstone,now i am pretty useless at operating that site so maybe someone can get on there and point them in this direction.

jim

wrangler50
27th March 2012, 20:23
Looks like I am the last onr standing... ( switch off the lights?) I did go back in the 80's when it was a boarding school, and all the old Nissan huts had long gone, and it was all grassed over. Quite an eerie feeling.

For the record , the boys in 12 Dorm were Alex Loveday; Peter Lightbody; Jack Wesson; Mick Mann, yours truly, and a few others.

Hi Alan,My name is Leonard Attwood,I joined LNSW on 6/9/48.I was in Foretop Div.The furthest Nissen hut from the school in the front row. There were eight if my memory serves me right,two rows of four.I remember Commander Wiseman,always immaculate,Mr Mathews,Palliser he of the very heavy hand/fist!.Mr Croot,could pick up a football in one hand.Mr Young took woodwork classes,vaguely remember our Navigating instructor was Scandinavian,Mr Jones did inspections after showers!.Memories!.Bleaching blue collars,stretching lanyards,proper Jackmatickler papers weren't we?.Ganges patrols in Ipswich were not too happy with our uniforms!.This will do for a start.Cheers(Scribe)

wrangler50
27th March 2012, 20:54
[QUOTE=Alan Rawlinson;574152]Yes, Jim, remember them well. I never managed to win one, but got a huge kick out of starting at the back with all the fatties and secret smokers, and then working my way through the field to end up in the top 5 or so.[/Q

I can't remember the name of the sports master in 1948,but because of my age ,though smallish in stature,I had to run in the senior class of the cross country.The previous years winner was named Slee.The sports master had a bet with Mr Croot that between Slee and myself,one of us should win it.I did a lot of running when games were on,so was pretty fit.Anyway it was my time to win,with Slee coming in second.I think the distance was about three and a half miles approx.As it turned out after the sports day in 1949,I was lucky enough to win all the other events I entered,so was Victor Ludorum,winning a cup,and a
1 postal order.Naturally the cup was returned.I keep trying to remember the Captain Superintendant's name.Sorry to bore you al!.

jimthehat
27th March 2012, 23:28
cant remember if it was LNS or woolverstone hall,but i remember representing the school at the area and district championships .I then went on to the county championship which was held in Bury St edmonds,and thats where I met my match as i came forth in both the 880 yards and the mile.

Alan ,dont know if we had a table tennis team when you were still there?We also had a basketball team and we were quite good ,but always got beat when we played the ganges divisions.

jim

Alan Rawlinson
28th March 2012, 19:44
Hi Alan,My name is Leonard Attwood,I joined LNSW on 6/9/48.I was in Foretop Div.The furthest Nissen hut from the school in the front row. There were eight if my memory serves me right,two rows of four.I remember Commander Wiseman,always immaculate,Mr Mathews,Palliser he of the very heavy hand/fist!.Mr Croot,could pick up a football in one hand.Mr Young took woodwork classes,vaguely remember our Navigating instructor was Scandinavian,Mr Jones did inspections after showers!.Memories!.Bleaching blue collars,stretching lanyards,proper Jackmatickler papers weren't we?.Ganges patrols in Ipswich were not too happy with our uniforms!.This will do for a start.Cheers(Scribe)

Hi Leonard,

Great to read your post... Seems there are a few of us still ticking, and I notice we joined on the same day 6.9.48 ( carved it on the well scarred desk top!) You were in the Dorm opposite (almost) 12 dorm, and your name seems familiar. The Nav instructor was Johannsson. The Capt Superintendent was it Smethwick or similar?

Did you go to Ganges for the RN or an apprenticeship?

I wasn't particularly academic or athletic, come to that, but you may remember me as the guy that hauled the flag up every morning at Divisions. Also sported the advanced signals chevron - Oh fame!

In the dormitory there were 10 boys and their names were:

Keanon
Mann
Loveday
Lightbody
Wesson
McCarthy?
Ringwood
Rawlinson
Manning
plus 1

When the younger set came in, I recall

Gilbert
Day
There was a cheeky ginger headed lad - think his name was Edwards or similar

The instructors I recall were Mathews, (Snaky)Pamphlin, and Denton.

I guess we were very impressionable at that age, so the memories are strong.

Alan Rawlinson
28th March 2012, 19:58
[QUOTE=jimthehat;586908]cant remember if it was LNS or woolverstone hall,but i remember representing the school at the area and district championships .I then went on to the county championship which was held in Bury St edmonds,and thats where I met my match as i came forth in both the 880 yards and the mile.

Alan ,dont know if we had a table tennis team when you were still there?We also had a basketball team and we were quite good ,but always got beat when we played the ganges divisions.

Jim

Don't recall table tennis or basket ball. Was always in awe of the Ganges boys and the tough regime they had.

2newfie
29th March 2012, 02:14
cant remember if it was LNS or woolverstone hall,but i remember representing the school at the area and district championships .I then went on to the county championship which was held in Bury St edmonds,and thats where I met my match as i came forth in both the 880 yards and the mile.

jim

I think the basketball happened at Woolverstone Hall and was started by Shuttleworth the Maths Master and was frowned on by Taffy Evans the Sports Master because they wore ,in his words,inappropriate gear.

wrangler50
29th March 2012, 20:46
Hi Leonard,

Great to read your post... Seems there are a few of us still ticking, and I notice we joined on the same day 6.9.48 ( carved it on the well scarred desk top!) You were in the Dorm opposite (almost) 12 dorm, and your name seems familiar. The Nav instructor was Johannsson. The Capt Superintendent was it Smethwick or similar?

I wasn't particularly academic or athletic, come to that, but you may remember me as the guy that hauled the flag up every morning at Divisions. Also sported the advanced signals chevron - Oh fame!

Keanon
Mann
Loveday
Lightbody
Wesson
McCarthy?
Ringwood
Rawlinson
Manning
plus 1

Gilbert
Day

Hi Alan,
As I was Fostered,and came under the LCC,I lived near Ashford Kent,I actually wanted to join the Merchant Navy.I had to go to County Hall,London,for a medical and Maths/English exams.Passed ok,but was told,I Quote,you want security,you should join the RN,so
that's why I joined LNS.I actually joined Ganges 6/9/49,strange it was exactly a year later.Yes the Captain superintendent's name was Smethwick.We had lad named Pike in our hut,he snored terribly,one
night we carried him and his bed outside,it was quite peaceful,for a while!.Then he came screaming in,and all hell broke loose!.I remember a bugler named Hunt,and marching to church behind the band.Pamplin,I think he was the one who could fetch you a right wallop,if you upset him!.I remember daily divisions,with colours,sorry
Alan,can't picture your face.I'll have to bring up some more memories.
Leonard.

wrangler50
30th March 2012, 16:29
Hi Leonard,

Keanon
Mann
Loveday
Lightbody
Wesson
McCarthy?
Ringwood
Rawlinson
Manning
plus 1

Gilbert
Day

jim
Hi Jim,
There was a very good cricket table,but we only played by huts,nothing against any local sides.I also was entered for the 100
yards sprint in the East Suffolk Championships held in Felixstowe,it was Bit of an anticlimax really,my opponents turned up with spikes,all
I had was a pair of plimsoles!.Needless to say I came in last.Though to be honest,I was not in their league.
Leonard.

jimthehat
30th March 2012, 23:46
Hi Jim,
There was a very good cricket table,but we only played by huts,nothing against any local sides.I also was entered for the 100
yards sprint in the East Suffolk Championships held in Felixstowe,it was Bit of an anticlimax really,my opponents turned up with spikes,all
I had was a pair of plimsoles!.Needless to say I came in last.Though to be honest,I was not in their league.
Leonard.

being a true Scot I never played(or was invited to play) cricket but did play for the first 15.
I also remember that we used to get taken down to ganges to use the swimming pool,but i dont think it was very frequent.
can anyone rember the twin dolphins that held the ships bell and which stood by the flag pole,it was presented by one of the Ganges divisions.

jim

2newfie
31st March 2012, 02:16
being a true Scot I never played(or was invited to play) cricket but did play for the first 15.
I also remember that we used to get taken down to ganges to use the swimming pool,but i dont think it was very frequent.
can anyone rember the twin dolphins that held the ships bell and which stood by the flag pole,it was presented by one of the Ganges divisions.

jim

Remember them well,but can't remember where they went when LNS ended although I seem to remember an RN lorry taking them away

Alan Rawlinson
31st March 2012, 12:13

jim

I remember the Dolphins being chiselled into shape in Mr Young's woodwork shop. They were of a light coloured wood and were then varnished. Somewhere I have a photo of the cheeky ginger haired kid from 12 Dorm posing next to them when they were installed. He came from Lambeth, but can't recall his name. Edwards, maybe? ( Managed to dredge up his name - It was Evans)

Re sports - Not my strong point, but did captain the 2nd XI at cricket a few times. Remember being criticised by the umpire ( one of the Masters) for taking off a successful bowler to make way for one of my chums!

jimthehat
31st March 2012, 13:06
on the way down to the mess hall just passed the main building there was a wooden hut,cant for the life of me remember what it was used for,but it was there that I remember getting the news that Scotland gor thrashed 54-0 by the Boks,dot think it was the tuck shop as I think that was down in the dip behind the messhall.

Now if you were good at sports you would get an extra portion of vermacilli pudding twice a week,and if you were hopeless you got an extra portion every day.

jim

Alan Rawlinson
31st March 2012, 17:08
on the way down to the mess hall just passed the main building there was a wooden hut,cant for the life of me remember what it was used for,but it was there that I remember getting the news that Scotland gor thrashed 54-0 by the Boks,dot think it was the tuck shop as I think that was down in the dip behind the messhall.

Now if you were good at sports you would get an extra portion of vermacilli pudding twice a week,and if you were hopeless you got an extra portion every day.

jim

Jim,

Do you remember the occasional rabbit pie, with lead pellets still in it? Also the slab cake. Mine went over the wire to the chickens that were outside for a while.

I remember the hut you mentioned. I think it was used as a tuck shop at some stage.

Another memory - some of us wandered down to the river bank at the weekends, and enjoyed a rope swing out over the water...

ron vizard
1st April 2012, 18:15
There is ,as far as I know, something of a Rift Valley between generations, or even decades, of WH attendees.
The Facebook group consists of younger souls. The Whoba site, www.whoba.co.uk
is open to all, but seems to consist of those from the '50s into the '70s. There are links in this site to a photo site run by Chris Snuggs which is worth a view.

Alan Rawlinson
2nd April 2012, 09:19
There is ,as far as I know, something of a Rift Valley between generations, or even decades, of WH attendees.
The Facebook group consists of younger souls. The Whoba site, www.whoba.co.uk
is open to all, but seems to consist of those from the '50s into the '70s. There are links in this site to a photo site run by Chris Snuggs which is worth a view.

Hi Ron,

Agree with your comments, and came to the conclusion that there is not much we have in common. Comes about partly because of the status of the school which changed considerably. I thing we were all ' rough arses ' in the late 40's! A few years ago a kind Gent took the trouble to send me lots of information ( through the post) about Woolverstone history and about WHOBA. Several old boys have made their mark in sport and politics with MP's and an English Rugby player etc etc.

Then there was a lull online, and now WHOBA seems to be thriving - but mainly with the 60's and 70's boys who recently enjoyed a reunion at the Butt and Oyster pub in Pinmill. They were celebrating the 40 year anniversary, but here comes the gap, because it would have been a 60 year one if there had been enough of us alive and kicking and willing and able to organise such a reunion. It all seemed a bit posh to me when I read it, old Git that I am!

ron vizard
4th April 2012, 09:27
I'm not too sure about the posh bit. Certainly the base line changed, in the sense that the original ship ( the Goliath) had boys like Charlie Chaplin's brother as 'pupils', i.e recruits to training ships came from poor law institutions. In the early 1930's the LCC took these over and closed them down, but via the Essex still recruited from, as you say , the ragged end.
This recruiting policy continued through from 1951 when the boarding grammar school started, the difference being that until the school went comprehensive, boys from serving personnel of the BAOTR (British Army of the Rhine) attended.
So the thing that changed the most, I think, was the base level of poverty as things improved at large, but the priority of recruiting promising boys from a mostly difficult background continued.

Alan Rawlinson
4th April 2012, 19:32
I'm not too sure about the posh bit. Certainly the base line changed, in the sense that the original ship ( the Goliath) had boys like Charlie Chaplin's brother as 'pupils', i.e recruits to training ships came from poor law institutions. In the early 1930's the LCC took these over and closed them down, but via the Essex still recruited from, as you say , the ragged end.
This recruiting policy continued through from 1951 when the boarding grammar school started, the difference being that until the school went comprehensive, boys from serving personnel of the BAOTR (British Army of the Rhine) attended.
So the thing that changed the most, I think, was the base level of poverty as things improved at large, but the priority of recruiting promising boys from a mostly difficult background continued.

The floating establishment prior to the LNS shore bases, was the Exmouth, latterly at Grays in Essex. The log books were kept in the crypt of Woolverstone Hall, and could be seen by any adventurous boys on a mission out of bounds. There was an entry I remember with physical punishment for the offence of " throwing the post boy overboard " ! Quite recently I managed to get hold of a copy of some of these entries which make interesting reading...

Re the calibre etc of boys - I got into hot water a few years ago for saying online that the Exmouth was a reform type institution, but this is in fact correct. Some of the ex RN instructors were still with us at Woolverstone , and frequently referred proudly to this scenario. The chairman of the existing Exmouth Association took issue with me, but it was all quite good natured. ( I think!)

2newfie
5th April 2012, 03:14
The floating establishment prior to the LNS shore bases, was the Exmouth, latterly at Grays in Essex. The log books were kept in the crypt of Woolverstone Hall, and could be seen by any adventurous boys on a mission out of bounds. There was an entry I remember with physical punishment for the offence of " throwing the post boy overboard " ! Quite recently I managed to get hold of a copy of some of these entries which make interesting reading...

Re the calibre etc of boys - I got into hot water a few years ago for saying online that the Exmouth was a reform type institution, but this is in fact correct. Some of the ex RN instructors were still with us at Woolverstone , and frequently referred proudly to this scenario. The chairman of the existing Exmouth Association took issue with me, but it was all quite good natured. ( I think!)

I remember some years after leaving "Woolvo"sailing up the Orwell as Master of a small bulker and telling the Pilot how proud I was having attended Woolverstone Hall only to be informed it was a school for "difficult" boys from London.

jimthehat
5th April 2012, 10:54
I remember some years after leaving "Woolvo"sailing up the Orwell as Master of a small bulker and telling the Pilot how proud I was having attended Woolverstone Hall only to be informed it was a school for "difficult" boys from London.
NOT true I came down from Scotland and got in.
THE Cat house fact or fiction I was always led to believe that smugglers showed a lamp through the eyes of the cat when it was safe to land goods.

jim

ron vizard
5th April 2012, 17:41
Did anybody know of Michael Reed who joined LNSW in 1948, after transferring from Bray , where he went in 1947?
Hopefully I have successfully loaded an attachment of a brief resume of his, prior to his joining the ROYAL MARINES BAND.

OK SO THIS TIME I BELIEVE I'VE GOT IT ATTACHED.

Alan Rawlinson
5th April 2012, 18:28
Did anybody know of Michael Reed who joined LNSW in 1948, after transferring from Bray , where he went in 1947?
Hopefully I have successfully loaded an attachment of a brief resume of his, prior to his joining the ROYAL MARINES BAND.

Hi Ron,

Interesting attachment. I'm not clear if the name at Woolverstone was Reed or Hutton?

As the dormitories were ' loaded ' alphabetically, Reed would have been in 12 Dorm where I was from 48 to 51 ( we had L's R's and W's) but don't remember him.

ron vizard
5th April 2012, 19:07
That was one of a number of blogs/articles etc. which I have assembled under the heading, From Goliath to Woolverstone, a shared History.
I've managed to acquire a few anecdotal reminiscences, but only from Exmouth sources.
That blog is a good example of the sort of thing; bit of home background, impact of Woolverstone, what it led to. Couple of A4 sheets is enough.
Anybody up for it?

The collection will be uploaded on to Chris Snuggs site, and I'll tell you the link when 'tis done.

It should be posted, in its current state, within a month or so. If anybody wants a DVD of the current files, then I'll be happy to send one, with the payment being a blog or contribution.

2newfie
7th April 2012, 02:15
NOT true I came down from Scotland and got in.
THE Cat house fact or fiction I was always led to believe that smugglers showed a lamp through the eyes of the cat when it was safe to land goods.

jim

This may be true of LNS but Woolverstone Hall was run by the LCC so all pupils were from London .

jimthehat
7th April 2012, 08:34
This may be true of LNS but Woolverstone Hall was run by the LCC so all pupils were from London .

Brian,maybe I was one of the leftovers,I was also at woolverstone hall and am in the OCT 1951 school photo and i left in the summer of 1952,we Scots can get in anywhere.

jim

Alan Rawlinson
7th April 2012, 19:27

Was there a bit more to this resume? I only seem to have got 1 page?

Doug Cheney
18th April 2013, 19:20
I went to the school and left to join the RN as a boy artificer in May 1951. My memories are a bit faded now.

jimthehat
18th April 2013, 23:05
I went to the school and left to join the RN as a boy artificer in May 1951. My memories are a bit faded now.

You must have been there at the same time as I and Alan were there.I was there from 1948 to 1952 the last year after it had changed over to Woolverstone hall.

jim

Alan Rawlinson
19th April 2013, 08:07

Hi Doug,

As Jim says we were all there in 1951 - looks like I left same time as you.

I was in 12 Dorm ( with the surnames later in the alphabet) and guess you were in one of the top ones near the road?

Snaps attached..

Cheers/Alan

jimthehat
19th April 2013, 10:05
Hi Doug,

As Jim says we were all there in 1951 - looks like I left same time as you.

I was in 12 Dorm ( with the surnames later in the alphabet) and guess you were in one of the top ones near the road?

Snaps attached..

Cheers/Alan

Ah yes I remember those dorms well.I wonder if I was the buglar in the photo.
My dorm was no 2 in the front row.

jim

Alan Rawlinson
19th April 2013, 12:31
Doug/Jim,

It's a long shot, but wonder if you knew, or recognise another Woolverstone cadet shown here??? The lad on the left is Mick Mann ex 12 Dorm, who left around 49/50 and snapped on a Bank Line ship in Colombo circa 1951 by me.

Cheers/Alan

Doug Cheney
19th April 2013, 13:22
Hi Alan
I could have been there at Colours as I was a bugler, and also played in the Band 3rd cornet

jimthehat
19th April 2013, 14:12
Hi Alan
I could have been there at Colours as I was a bugler, and also played in the Band 3rd cornet

Hi Doug,as a buglar you will remember getting a shake on dark freezing mornings so as to sound shower calls.As I remember them it was the call followed by the division call ,1 short for foxc'le,2 for foretop ,3 for maintop and 4 for quarterdeck

Never quite made the band as I kept on breaking the reeds on my clarinet.

jim