Foggy Robby

keithf
18th January 2006, 13:15
Does anyone remember "Foggy Robby" Robertson, who was the coastal
captain in the early sixties.
He had the reputation of anchoring in the North Sea whenever it was foggy, as he didn't trust the radar.
I sailed with him on the "old " Benlawers" , which still had the wartime gunners' accommodation in the tweendeck level of the ER Casing : mind you at that time it was used by the Chinese painters,

R58484956
18th January 2006, 13:49
Welcome keithf to the site enjoy all it has to offer and a happy new year to you.

edward
18th January 2006, 18:40
welcome on board keithf,enjoy this ship.edward.

Black Sea Kid
15th February 2006, 17:01
Does anyone remember "Foggy Robby" Robertson, who was the coastal
captain in the early sixties.
He had the reputation of anchoring in the North Sea whenever it was foggy, as he didn't trust the radar.
I sailed with him on the "old " Benlawers" , which still had the wartime gunners' accommodation in the tweendeck level of the ER Casing : mind you at that time it was used by the Chinese painters,

Hi keithf

I did a about 6 consecutive trips as 3rd and 2nd Mate with him on the coast and whilst we all knew we would see fog (never mind the time of year) cannot say I was involved in him anchoring anywhere or everywhere in the North Sea apart from once approaching the Thames. Mind you who did trust the "Macaroni" radars, "wind up" the handle on the side and hope they work. As most radar units where located over the Old Mans cabin, when started, was like kick starting a tank.

All the best/BSK

backsplice
17th February 2006, 08:14
i did a coast on the BENALBANACH in 69 Foggy Robb was skipper ..I was told he carried fog around in a suitcase .........great days with the greyhouds of the far east....backsplice (Thumb)