Ex Houlder Engineer

Bob Kirby
28th January 2012, 20:59
Found this site a few weeks ago, intrigued by the number of familiar names and excellent ship mates from the past, sadly some deceased. Would be interested to hear from anyone.
I was with Houlders 1965 to 1975, my last position was 2nd engineer on the Cavendish. I carried on at sea until I was 65 and retired in 2010.
Bob Kirby

MARINEJOCKY
29th January 2012, 13:50
Hi Bob,

I was on the Cavendish numerous times with Alan Lowery, Charlie Wilcox, Leo and obviously many others in the 70's with my last trip with Houlders as 2nd Eng. on the Cavendish as well. I went from cadet to 2/E on her.

Malcolm Elliott

ALAN TYLER
29th January 2012, 14:03
Hi Bob, Welcome to the site, what ships did you sail in? I was deep-sea from 69 to 75 before transferring to the offshore side. Maybe I "cooked" up some gastronomical delights for you sometime!! Alan.

MARINEJOCKY
29th January 2012, 14:18
Hi Alan, did I tell you I tried the Ox-tail and although it was good it was not half as good as I remember from the old days.

R58484956
29th January 2012, 15:20
Greetings Bob and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

marinero
29th January 2012, 19:15
Hi Bob.

I think I was on the "Cavendish" when you had your wife on-board. I think I was 2nd Stwd. then. Mad Mike Mitchell or John Coates was Chief If I remember correctly. Trouble is, when you get older the memory isn't as good as one would like.

Regards (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
30th January 2012, 11:17
Hi Alan, did I tell you I tried the Ox-tail and although it was good it was not half as good as I remember from the old days.
Glad you enjoyed the oxtail Malcolm but did you put the final ingredient in...."Love"

MARINEJOCKY
30th January 2012, 11:48
I hope that was the only "extra" that you added at the end.

I will stick to my memories of what you guys gave us to keep us alive.

PS. we had to cover the stuff Leo dished up with Ketchup !!! (*))

marinero
30th January 2012, 14:59
I hope that was the only "extra" that you added at the end.

I will stick to my memories of what you guys gave us to keep us alive.

PS. we had to cover the stuff Leo dished up with Ketchup !!! (*))
Here you Malcolm Elliott, I'll have you know it was always Heinz Tomato Ketchup, none of that cheap rubbish. Alan will vouch for that.

Regards (Jester)(Jester)(Jester)

MARINEJOCKY
31st January 2012, 21:21
actually I forgot we had to add Tabaso as well.

Maybe before you get too old you & Alan should get together and make a list of the names of the food you made for us. In fact why not write a book of recipes with those strange sounding names.

All said in jest, that food saw me through many a lonely day & night when I was missing my mam's food (*))

vasco
31st January 2012, 21:33
As did Bernie Chaplins evening Fish & Chips. A real treat on the Cerinthus was the watch bringing them up to a then very thin 3/O.

MARINEJOCKY
31st January 2012, 21:54
That was certainly very true John, thin I mean.

PS, everybody over here with an accent is wondering why I am asking if they are from SA ?. (*))

Jerry M
3rd February 2012, 15:28
Hi Bob,

Do you remember me? Jerry Meadows we took the Faraday out on her maiden voyage january 1971, I was 2/E and you were 3/E. Derek Dewar was Chief and Mad Mitch was acting Guarantee Chief, Ron Hedger was the Old Man. I baby sat your daughter one night to let you and your wife go ashore. I later came back as C/E after a stint on the Furness Bridge as 2/E. I swallowed the anchor late 1973 and have representing ship repair yards since, I am 65 this year so may give up work soon, most of my business now is on cruise liners. Best regards, Jeremy.

Bob Kirby
4th February 2012, 20:50
Hi Bob,

I was on the Cavendish numerous times with Alan Lowery, Charlie Wilcox, Leo and obviously many others in the 70's with my last trip with Houlders as 2nd Eng. on the Cavendish as well. I went from cadet to 2/E on her.

Malcolm Elliott
Hi Malcolm
I don`t think our paths crossed I think you must have been on the Cavendish after I left, although Leo was on when I was there.
Regards, Bob

Bob Kirby
4th February 2012, 20:57
Hi Bob, Welcome to the site, what ships did you sail in? I was deep-sea from 69 to 75 before transferring to the offshore side. Maybe I "cooked" up some gastronomical delights for you sometime!! Alan.
Hi Alan,
I have listed roughly when I was on the following ships, I don`t recognise your name but it is possible we have sailed together.
Royston Grange 1966
Abedesa 1966/67
Oregis 1967
Joule (1) 1967/68
Humboldt 1969/70
Faraday 1971
Cavendish 1972 to 1975
Regards, Bob.

Bob Kirby
4th February 2012, 21:04
Hi Bob.

I think I was on the "Cavendish" when you had your wife on-board. I think I was 2nd Stwd. then. Mad Mike Mitchell or John Coates was Chief If I remember correctly. Trouble is, when you get older the memory isn't as good as one would like.

Regards (Thumb)
Hi Marinero,
From reading your post I gather you are Leo, I remember you as the 2nd steward when I was there, though I did not Have my wife on board so maybe you have mixed me with someone else. I first Joined her in 1972 and was there until 1975 on and off. Chiefs were Mike Mitchell, John Coates, Jim Foxwell and Tony Herrington?
Regards, Bob

Bob Kirby
4th February 2012, 21:15
Hi Bob,

Do you remember me? Jerry Meadows we took the Faraday out on her maiden voyage january 1971, I was 2/E and you were 3/E. Derek Dewar was Chief and Mad Mitch was acting Guarantee Chief, Ron Hedger was the Old Man. I baby sat your daughter one night to let you and your wife go ashore. I later came back as C/E after a stint on the Furness Bridge as 2/E. I swallowed the anchor late 1973 and have representing ship repair yards since, I am 65 this year so may give up work soon, most of my business now is on cruise liners. Best regards, Jeremy.
Hi Jerry,
Yes I remember you very well from the Humboldt and the Faraday, my how time has flown it is over 40 years. After I left Houlders in 1975 I decided to opt for shorter trips so went into supply ships mostly in the North Sea though did have a few trips to foreign climes. I sailed with a few companies but spent the last 20 odd years with a Norwegian Company called Farstad Shipping, I retired in 2010. Nice to hear from you.
Regards,Bob.

foxy
29th February 2012, 21:41
Hi Bob, glad to see your still around. If I remember correctly you joined the Royston Grange in August 66 as second electrician, Fred Roberts was chief lecky. I know we only sailed on one trip together but being from yorkshire I allways remembered you , especially when you became a propper engineer, ha ha , allthe best Foxy.

Bob Kirby
3rd March 2012, 21:27
Hi Foxy, thanks for your message, I`m not quite sure who you are by the name Foxy, There was an engineer on the Royston called Mike Fox, I think from Ossett, if that is you I do remember you. I actually joined the Royston Grange in January 1966 and Harry Gris was Chief Lecky, I did three trips on there and left July 1966. Regards, Bob.

foxy
5th March 2012, 20:26
Hi Foxy, thanks for your message, I`m not quite sure who you are by the name Foxy, There was an engineer on the Royston called Mike Fox, I think from Ossett, if that is you I do remember you. I actually joined the Royston Grange in January 1966 and Harry Gris was Chief Lecky, I did three trips on there and left July 1966. Regards, Bob.

I,m the same foxy you remembered Bob and still from around Ossett.You were right about the Chief Lecky, Fred Roberts re-joined the Royston in July 66 After recovering from TB. I stayed with Houlders {furness} for another 20 years, leaving in 1986. All the Best Mike.

ALAN TYLER
13th March 2012, 14:28
Hi Alan,
I have listed roughly when I was on the following ships, I don`t recognise your name but it is possible we have sailed together.
Royston Grange 1966
Abedesa 1966/67
Oregis 1967
Joule (1) 1967/68
Humboldt 1969/70
Faraday 1971
Cavendish 1972 to 1975
Regards, Bob.
Hi Bob, Sadly none of those dates fit in with my time, although I did sail in the Oregis, and Humboldt. I was with Houlders 1969 to 1986, Alan

ALAN TYLER
13th March 2012, 14:32
Here you Malcolm Elliott, I'll have you know it was always Heinz Tomato Ketchup, none of that cheap rubbish. Alan will vouch for that.

Regards (Jester)(Jester)(Jester)

Hi Leo I,m sitting on the fence with this one!!! Alan

marinero
13th March 2012, 15:08
Hi Leo I,m sitting on the fence with this one!!! Alan
Hi Alan.
Trust you and the wife are well. We were down at a friends caravan at a caravan park near Clitheroe at the weekend. Is this anywhere near you? As if so, the next time we are down I will get in touch and maybe meet up.

Regards

Leo (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
14th March 2012, 16:12
Hi Leo, So close and yet so far!! all of 15 miles away. Though we were away down in sunny Bournemouth. Bob W. lives near Clitheroe as well. Anyway hope you are settling back into the English way of life and you,re both in the best of health. It would be great to see you both next time you,re down this way. Have you got our phone number? if not I,ll e-mail it to you with our address. Take Care Alan.

marinero
14th March 2012, 17:45
Hi Leo, So close and yet so far!! all of 15 miles away. Though we were away down in sunny Bournemouth. Bob W. lives near Clitheroe as well. Anyway hope you are settling back into the English way of life and you,re both in the best of health. It would be great to see you both next time you,re down this way. Have you got our phone number? if not I,ll e-mail it to you with our address. Take Care Alan.
Hi Alan.
That would be good to have your address and number, I can put it into the TomTom and find you quite easily. Will give you a bell next time we are down. We are really getting settled now and boy is it an eye opener after 12 years in Spain, but it's great, didn't realise how much we missed until we came back.

Regards Leo

BOB.WHITTAKER
14th March 2012, 22:48
LEO , I'm 4 miles from Clitheroe, a village called Rimington,there are 3 sites within 10 minutes from us ,send me a PM if you intend coing down this way again . Cheers BOB WHITTAKER

marinero
15th March 2012, 10:14
LEO , I'm 4 miles from Clitheroe, a village called Rimington,there are 3 sites within 10 minutes from us ,send me a PM if you intend coing down this way again . Cheers BOB WHITTAKER
Good Morning Bob.
I trust you are well and enjoying retirement.
I certainly will contact you when we are down there again. The Site is called Twyn Ghyll Leisure Park, Paythorn.

MARINEJOCKY
21st March 2012, 12:01
Sounds like a Houlders reunion is forming or at least the partaking of a few cold ones, wish I was there.

Abbeywood.
18th April 2012, 15:05
'First-tripper' in September 1959, (Hornby Grange), BA and Monte' oh, and once to Santos for fruit. 5 round trips
Transfered to the 'Rippingham Grange', Sept'1960, (3 trips, 2 to New Zealand and one to the Cape) Ship sold and did the delivery voyage to Hakodate, Hokkaido, Japan. Nine month trip all the way on one engine, (Main bearings 'run-out' on Starboard engine), 56 days, non-stop from Callao to Manila.
Relieving on 'Thorpe Grange' and 'Duquesa' then 5 trips on 'Swan River' to the River Plate and up the Parana to Rosario.
Farewell to Houlders and 'hello' Bank Line, 1963.
Pete'Lambert, (Junior Eng' 'C' to 4th Eng')

Parana
20th April 2012, 01:15
Abbeywood.
I still have the photo of you, Dai from Hartlepool and me on the bridge wing of the Swan River dated Oct 62 - April 63. I remember well when we split up we had a few shandies and Dai lost his contact lens on the platform at Kings Cross.
Hope all is well at your end, Mike Howden