Odas

Waighty
30th January 2012, 13:13
Having just read the NLB "Journal", Christmas edition, I see that Northern Lighthouse Board vessels, and presumably TH and CIL now do the ODAS buoys around the north European waters.

I always maintained that with a bit of imaginative planning the Newton, even if only for routine visits, could have done that job as well as the Sals.

Yet another sorry tale of "our" work going elsewhere. Mind you we didn't exactly help the Metoffice with DMS's financial structure! I think they did actually charter an AHTS once 'cos it was cheaper than a Sal!

roofaerosyth
5th February 2012, 14:52
oh come on mike.im no believing that.we were always excelent value for money . eh., no ... hang on ... think im still half-cut fae last night.lol.heres one for you mike, why are sd,s fleet still buff and black(albeit wi the hellish looking red funnels).id have thought that they would have painted them serco colours by now.or is there some clause in the contract that says they have to use the old colour scheme.not that i want to see the boats painted red.(think thats sercos colours).but just been wondering why they havent put thier own colours on what is essentialy thier own vessels.

RetiredPMSO
5th February 2012, 18:38
oh come on mike.im no believing that.we were always excelent value for money . eh., no ... hang on ... think im still half-cut fae last night.lol.heres one for you mike, why are sd,s fleet still buff and black(albeit wi the hellish looking red funnels).id have thought that they would have painted them serco colours by now.or is there some clause in the contract that says they have to use the old colour scheme.not that i want to see the boats painted red.(think thats sercos colours).but just been wondering why they havent put thier own colours on what is essentialy thier own vessels.

There was no clause in the contract to say they had to use the old colour scheme so Serco could have any colour they wanted. But one of the major factors in retaining the black and buff hull was cost - why repaint a whole fleet when you don't have to.

mil511mariner
6th February 2012, 15:12
Newton always too busy doing interesting stuff Mike

They tried to get us on the job once but another customer with a bit of clout stopped it.

roofaerosyth
6th February 2012, 23:11
fair enough lol. just seems weird to me.sercos a big company.ye think they would want to use thier own colours.paint isnt that expensive.not sure who ye mean by a bit o clout.no matter.cheers for the input mariner.pmso - i should have thought of that.makes sense.cheers. roo.

Slowone
9th February 2012, 05:55
The MoD at one time wanted Serco to retain the buff and black as a link back to the original colours used by the navy. There was a push within Serco to change the colours a couple of years back. Some will have seen the red hull, white superstructure on a couple of boats in Devonport, more inline with Serco corporate colours!

roofaerosyth
9th February 2012, 19:10
the newtons a ship i have never seen in the flesh,(so to speak).i must have just been unlucky.she looks big.i heard colin erskine was aboard her for a wee while as a steward.she was the first vessel my skipper piloted when he became a pilot.she was re-fitted in rosyth many moons ago when i was in the mod and i still never seen her.no 2 dock or so i was told.why was she used as a trials ship when she was a cable layer? cheers.

RetiredPMSO
9th February 2012, 21:28
why was she used as a trials ship when she was a cable layer?

Newton's official designation was URV 01 i.e. Underwater Research Vessel 01, the planned URV 02 never got off the ground.

So her role was always as a research vessel not just a cable layer.

roofaerosyth
9th February 2012, 22:08
i apologise pmso.just checked bw&a where she is described as a sonar propagation trials ship that can also be used as a cable layer.(i thought her primary role was cable layer and trials was a secondary role).what i do notice is that she doesnt look like she was launched away back in 1976.she doesnt look 36 year old.the crews must have looked after her over the years.how many crew did she have before she finished?info i have is from 1986/87 and it puts complement at 52.and did the sister ship that never got built have a name?.cheers again.roo.

Slowone
10th February 2012, 01:53
Newton's crew was 22 before Victoria came to play. No idea how many they are running her with now. 4 Deck officers, 4 Engineers plus an ETO, 3 caterers, 3 motormen, a Bosun and the rest were AB's.

Yes she could have done ODAS, and would probably have made a much nicer platform to work from, but various parties from the crew through to various senior folk up in the gods didn't really want it to happen.

RetiredPMSO
10th February 2012, 19:53
did the sister ship that never got built have a name?

The name FARADAY was favourite, but there was bollocking from the Director for one staff member who wrote this in a file as it was never official policy for URV 02 to be called by that name with all department correspondence only referring to URV02.

roofaerosyth
11th February 2012, 16:01
ah ! as in the guy who invented the faraday cage ? which reminds me.- was the newton named after issac newton or a town.i know there are a few places with that name in britain.theres a wee place on the south-side of the river forth called newton as well but i dont suppose that was why she was called that.my moneys on issac newton.its amazing the info that ive learned on this site.lol.only wish id found out about it sooner.cheers.roo.p.s.rmas vessels had much better names than the tripe that they are coming up with these days.

shoot999
11th February 2012, 17:24
ah ! as in the guy who invented the faraday cage ? which reminds me.- was the newton named after issac newton or a town.i know there are a few places with that name in britain.theres a wee place on the south-side of the river forth called newton as well but i dont suppose that was why she was called that.my moneys on issac newton.its amazing the info that ive learned on this site.lol.only wish id found out about it sooner.cheers.roo.p.s.rmas vessels had much better names than the tripe that they are coming up with these days.

Yes. Named after Isaac Newton. And the other RMAS trials vessel Whitehead was named after the inventor of the torpedo; Robert Whitehead.

Waighty
11th February 2012, 19:03
Newton always too busy doing interesting stuff Mike

They tried to get us on the job once but another customer with a bit of clout stopped it.

Point taken Roger! I was the one at Bath trying to get some more work for her which at the time was looking a bit lean as I recall until our friends from the rural midlands decided she fitted the bill!

I believe the unions at the time were pushing for her not to do ODAS until all crew had done the mooring course. I always argued that a routine visit to check instrumentation etc on the buoys wasn't really mooring work, more like trials tasking. Water under etc...

Waighty
11th February 2012, 19:13

Roo, others have answered for me but if it was down to me I'd paint the hulls pink and topsides yellow! That would cause a stir with the Lordships at the Admiralty! Only joking.

roofaerosyth
18th February 2012, 15:26
i was saying to old strawberry on the gallery just yesterday that any pas/rmas vessels just dont look right in any other colour mike.but maybe we are all a wee bit biased towards buff and black because of our time with the job.lol.one things for sure - red funnels DONT go with buff and black.it looks naff.

RetiredPMSO
3rd March 2012, 19:56
A new twist on the colour scheme - see that SD Northern River now has white upperworks and black hull.

roofaerosyth
4th March 2012, 18:37
thats interesting pmso.black hull is a step in the right direction.but white superstructure is weird.are you sure its not an undercoat that will be covered with buff (hopefully).

RetiredPMSO
4th March 2012, 20:20
thats interesting pmso.black hull is a step in the right direction.but white superstructure is weird.are you sure its not an undercoat that will be covered with buff (hopefully).

She already had white upperworks so doubt its undercoat, more like saving money, unless they plan to paint her themselves.

Stewart J.
4th March 2012, 20:45
Taken last week

http://cdn2.shipspotting.com/photos/middle/6/3/0/1505036.jpg

Waighty
5th March 2012, 11:51
Taken last week

http://cdn2.shipspotting.com/photos/middle/6/3/0/1505036.jpg

Nice looking ship, hope she's capable of what's required of her!

roofaerosyth
5th March 2012, 14:09
im sure that i read somewhere that she was extended at some point.as in made longer.cant remember where i read it.maybe it was on here.im sure someone will confirm this or tell me im a numpty.3-2-1.... go.lol

Stewart J.
5th March 2012, 21:39
Previous owners full spec here

http://www.deepoceangroup.com/uploads/pdfs/109.pdf

Slowone
7th March 2012, 16:31
I hear Serco are looking to get shot of another 20 staff, just wonder who they will man this with - agency?

Waighty
7th March 2012, 20:28
Or maybe they'll change flag and put a non-Brit crew aboard!

roofaerosyth
11th March 2012, 00:47
does staff mean crewmen , or someone else within the company ?

Slowone
12th March 2012, 16:54
Sorry, by staff I was meaning crew

roofaerosyth
12th March 2012, 23:22
ah ! i assume its because they have laid-up/sold/scrapped so many vessels recently.

nodes
16th April 2012, 10:17
It was the crew of Newton which stopped her doing ODAS, us lot on the SAL's often argued with GMRMAS that she was better suited, even offered to sail her on a trial run with only the Salmaids crew, but it was not taken up. Probaly one of the reasons the cable winch was removed in her late 1990's SLEPT. After Capt Hooper left her there was no more cabling masters left to run her, so there was no expertise at the top and the crew did not want to work on moorings, although she and St Margarets used to do similiar work on a regular basis. In fact the SLEPT reduced her second hand value as they stripped out all her working winch's and Laboratry facilities to make her into a floating hotel for the SBS.

mil511mariner
16th April 2012, 12:37
To set the record straight it was a senior mangement decision - higher than GMRMAS, that stopped the Newton doing ODAS. The requirement to drop everything when the weather was suitable for ODAS did not fit in with the programme of work for other customers who were deemed to have higher priority over the use of the ship than the met office. The crew of Newton always had the can do attitude which was the thing that was special about the entire RMAS. If the top management had said go and get on with it it would have been done. Saying the crew stopped it is utter nonsense.

Maurice Hooper left the ship to become a Shipping Master long before she stopped cabling and there were many senior Masters in Devonport who had come through the Admiralty Cable Service and into the RMAS who sailed on Newton and were in the job up to and into SERCO time.

In December 1994 DERA wanted the cable tanks used mainly for storing towed array cables and all the stray cable was discharged into the BT depot at Southampton with the ship getting back in Devonport just as the dock yard was packing up for Christmas.

In 1995 during a quick dry docking in Portsmouth the large A frame was fitted on the stern to enhance the cable deployment over the stern work and this was used for a series of special work for DERA and then Qinetec until 1999. After 1999 the decision was taken that all further Qinetic work would be done on the NATO research ship Alliance.

Several cabling jobs were also done over the years mainly in Scottish waters using large powered cable reels mounted on deck.

SLEP translates to ships life extension programme which was envisaged to give the Newton about 8-10 years more service from 2000. Here we are in 2012 with the boat still doing the odd job 35 years after she was built - not a bad testament to the crews then and now...............

RetiredPMSO
16th April 2012, 20:34
We seem to have the history of NEWTON now spread across a number of different threads, however this is not strictly true:

After 1999 the decision was taken that all further Qinetic work would be done on the NATO research ship Alliance.

I did the study into her future along with TC and the upshot was that the research work was falling away to the point where her future was in serious doubt. Much of the scientific development work was then being done by computer modelling without the need for seatime. Without the new customer, and even getting that endorsed took one hell of a fight, she would have been razorblades years ago.

Slowone
17th April 2012, 20:06
The topic of flagging out and using non UK staff were both discussed not too long ago, I believe a senior manager (who may have moved on now) did have an interest in a manning agency.

shipmate60
19th April 2012, 23:06
mil511mariner,
Nearly right about Newton's ODAS trial.
I was on board at the time, wonder who primed the primary customer?

andrew harding
18th June 2013, 16:32
They did lay an Odas and the crew came from Salmaid no names mentioned so most of the toplcs are untruthful.

johny corgi
20th June 2013, 15:14
If the newton took the odas then the salmoor wouldn't get many duty free runs case solved