RFA Pearleaf (2)

Prestonian
30th January 2012, 17:32
I have some drawings of Pearleaf as completed, (but before being fitted for RAS) and have decided that this is good year in which to make a model of her during the Falklands conflict. The model is intended to be at 1/700 scale waterline and there are a few queries which I would like to resolve before starting.

If necessary I will use photos to modify the drawings to show the RAS rig, but in the interests of accuracy, do any drawings exist showing her in post - 1967 appearance?

My drawings and some photos I have seen of her show gun mounts on the aft superstructure. Were these still in place when she took part in Operation Corporate, and if so, was she armed?
My drawings seem to indicate that the boat deck and poop deck were planked, can anyone confirm this? and were any other decks planked?

Thanks

Don

King Ratt
30th January 2012, 18:10
Hello Prestonian.
These photos from the RFA People site may assist you. Taken in 1968/1969 when Pearleaf had completed a refit in the newly formed Sembawang Shipyard.
At this time some additional accommodation was built onto the after end of the bridge deck to house two Radio Officers. Any other major work I do not recall. The Photos are File No 4/13 and 7/13 from the Communicators section of RFA People. I hope the following URLs will take you straight into the photos.

http://rfanostalgia.org/rfapeoplegallery/albums/userpics/Pearleaf_CEO_Ernie_Brazier_and2~0.jpg

http://rfanostalgia.org/rfapeoplegallery/albums/userpics/posersw~0.jpg

stonkingjohn
31st January 2012, 22:21
Hello Prestonian,
I've posted a couple of deck views of Pearleaf from Summer of 1973 in the RFA section of the gallery. Don't know if they are of any use to you.

Prestonian
1st February 2012, 00:41
Thanks King Ratt - those pictures answer my query about the decks nicely.

Thanks also Stonkingjohn I have had a good look at the photo gallery and it has been most helpful - in fact I don't think I would be able to tackle this project without them.

Best wishes

Don

King Ratt
1st February 2012, 16:07
Pleased to have been of assistance, Prestonian. She was a lovely ship and I had many happy months in her. Both pictures feature the Chief Engineer, the late Ernie Brazier, and one of myself with the Hank Marvin spectacles and the other of my JRO.

Prestonian
28th August 2012, 15:35
I thought you might like to see how the model turned out, so hopefully, here are a few pictures. At 1/700 scale it measures about ten and a half inches long. Not too happy about the shape of the spare propellor, but otherwise quite pleased with the way it turned out.

My first time posting a picture attachment, which failed last try so here goes again.

Don

LouisB
29th August 2012, 02:25
I thought you might like to see how the model turned out, so hopefully, here are a few pictures. At 1/700 scale it measures about ten and a half inches long. Not too happy about the shape of the spare propellor, but otherwise quite pleased with the way it turned out.

My first time posting a picture attachment, which failed last try so here goes again.

Don

Like King Ratt I spent many happy months on Pearleaf in the late sixties. Happy Days.

LouisB. (Scribe)

Brian McCarthy
10th February 2014, 21:45
Very nice, she was my Dads last ship before he retired in 1983.

wildcat45
16th February 2014, 12:24
That is a cracking model. Now make Tidespring, Oleander, Lyness, Fort Grange, Resource......! :-)

Adrian Walker
31st March 2014, 14:52
Only just caught up with this one; what a superb model there, I am in awe of your skills.
My late father Capt. Bill Walker RFA used to make 1/1250th scale ship models (eg Skytrex etc) and would have been more than interested to see your efforts.
Hope to an LSL made by you? (if you haven't already done so).
Brilliant!