Resizing and pixels

Peter Wearing
3rd February 2012, 16:14
Hi, Seem to be having some problems with pixelated photos in my gallery, have just uploaded a shot of the Spirit of France, which according to the resizing soft ware with the camera i resized to just below the 500kb permitted size. According to the thumb nail info with the photo in the gallery it is now only 76kb, which i assume is leading to the pixelation, any ideas what im doing wrong ?

Vestron
3rd February 2012, 18:30
Hi Peter.

Have you verified that the file really weighs 500kB on your computer? If so there is some resizing going on in the uploading process if the file ends up weighing only 76kB in the gallery. The site admin can probably help in that case. If, on the other hand, the file weighs 76kB on your computer, the resizing function in your software could be missunderstanding you. There are mainly two factors that control the weight of a resized file.
1: the resolution. 1024 x 768 or 600 x 800 are common ones.
2: the compression. Jpeg weighs less than bmp or tif and there's usually some kind of control in the software labeled "quality" that further influences the pixelation vs. size factor.
Sorry for being unspecific at this time, maybe you already know all these things and have tried them. However if you would like further assistance, it would help to know your os (mac or pc) and the software you're using.
Hope this helps somewhat...

Cheers

david.hopcroft
3rd February 2012, 19:37
Sometimes when I try to include a thumbnail in a reply, it tells me my picture is too big and gives dimensions. Does anyone know how to reduce one too big to the size quoted ?

David
+

paisleymerchant
3rd February 2012, 19:42
Try this :-

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Pat McCardle
3rd February 2012, 20:22
Google picasa3, its free & does a very good job.

Peter Wearing
3rd February 2012, 20:36
Hi Peter.

Have you verified that the file really weighs 500kB on your computer? If so there is some resizing going on in the uploading process if the file ends up weighing only 76kB in the gallery. The site admin can probably help in that case. If, on the other hand, the file weighs 76kB on your computer, the resizing function in your software could be missunderstanding you. There are mainly two factors that control the weight of a resized file.
1: the resolution. 1024 x 768 or 600 x 800 are common ones.
2: the compression. Jpeg weighs less than bmp or tif and there's usually some kind of control in the software labeled "quality" that further influences the pixelation vs. size factor.
Sorry for being unspecific at this time, maybe you already know all these things and have tried them. However if you would like further assistance, it would help to know your os (mac or pc) and the software you're using.
Hope this helps somewhat...

Cheers

Hi Vestron

Thank you for your reply, the software im using is Photo fun studio for a Panasonic camera and a pc operating system, before i start the resize process the photos are over 4mb in size and i resize them to just under 500kb, these sizes are confirmed in the camera software, as you say it seems something is happening during the down load process.
Peter

Vestron
4th February 2012, 10:15
Hi again Peter
Something strange going on here. Your picture in the gallery looks heavily pixelated even for 76kB. There are similar sized pictures in the gallery that look much better in comparison... If you would like to attach your 500kB pic to your reply in this forum we could have a look at what happens. If all is ok at that point, we have narrowed the problem down to some processing in the gallery upload. (Which would be kind of strange, actually. Pictures are normally just rejected if not within standards in some way, instead of being brutally resized - at least that's the case in various other galleries).
Well, have a go at uploading as an attachment if you like, I really don't want to come across as an expert in this area, I just want to help if I can...

cheers

Peter Wearing
4th February 2012, 20:43
Hi again Peter
Something strange going on here. Your picture in the gallery looks heavily pixelated even for 76kB. There are similar sized pictures in the gallery that look much better in comparison... If you would like to attach your 500kB pic to your reply in this forum we could have a look at what happens. If all is ok at that point, we have narrowed the problem down to some processing in the gallery upload. (Which would be kind of strange, actually. Pictures are normally just rejected if not within standards in some way, instead of being brutally resized - at least that's the case in various other galleries).
Well, have a go at uploading as an attachment if you like, I really don't want to come across as an expert in this area, I just want to help if I can...

cheers

Hi Vestron

Have tried to upload as an attachment, showing as 478kb, looks pretty poor.
Peter

Vestron
4th February 2012, 21:19
Yes it does, doesn't it... So while we still don't know why it shows up as 76kB at the gallery, we at least have confirmed that the pixelation occurs in the Panasonic Photofun software. It comes bundled with the camera, so I can't install it here to try out some settings. What you could do however is to open the original 4MB file in Paint, which you'll find in your program files folder, choose menu item "resize", select "pixels" instead of "percent" option and enter 1024 as the new width. (The height will be automatically adjusted). Be careful to save it as a new file with a new name and have a look at it. Chances are that it will look pretty decent and weigh in under 500 kB. The result depends on the original resolution, but give it a try if you like... Needless to say it's a very good idea to keep a backup of the original file somewhere safe during all resizing operations :-)
Good luck!

Peter Wearing
5th February 2012, 11:45
Yes it does, doesn't it... So while we still don't know why it shows up as 76kB at the gallery, we at least have confirmed that the pixelation occurs in the Panasonic Photofun software. It comes bundled with the camera, so I can't install it here to try out some settings. What you could do however is to open the original 4MB file in Paint, which you'll find in your program files folder, choose menu item "resize", select "pixels" instead of "percent" option and enter 1024 as the new width. (The height will be automatically adjusted). Be careful to save it as a new file with a new name and have a look at it. Chances are that it will look pretty decent and weigh in under 500 kB. The result depends on the original resolution, but give it a try if you like... Needless to say it's a very good idea to keep a backup of the original file somewhere safe during all resizing operations :-)
Good luck!

Hi Vestron

Tried that and it seems much better, just realised i am using software for a different Panasonic camera, guess that is also not helping ? ! Not fully up to speed in the digital camera software and thought the same software would be ok for all digital Panasonic cameras. Many thanks for your help.

Vestron
5th February 2012, 12:13
Hi Peter
Glad I could be of some assistance. There are various other ways to resize pictures to get an optimal quality/size ratio. You could try looking at Picasa as suggested by Pat in this thread or do a general google search to find the solution best suited for your needs. I'm a Photoshop addict myself, but there is a lot of other good software out there.
Nice picture of an interesting looking ship by the way:-)

cheers

andyburn
6th February 2012, 17:14
http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Adds a menu to a rightclick of the mouse. Excellent free software .

andysk
8th February 2012, 11:16
Try Irfanview, http://www.irfanview.com/ - many on here and elswhere use it, it's a free download from their site.
I've used it for more than 12 years, it was v0.96 when I started with it, it's now up to v4.32 !