Ondo

Alun Pari Huws
12th February 2012, 14:10
I am currently drafting a short article about the loss of the Ondo following an article in the last Elders of Elders magazine.
My father, Capt Gwyn Pari Huws, was an Assistant Marine Superintendent (at a fairly young age of 31) and was sent to the Ondo at short notice when she grounded in December 1961 in rather tragic circumstances.
According to helpful contacts (Brian McManus and Jim Cowden) he may have gone with John Duckworth who was an engineering superintendent.
The ship's own Chief Engineer was 'Tug' Wilson. The master was Willy Farquar.
I have a number of photographs following the stranding and the work to try and lighten the ship before she was declared a constructive total loss together with a copy of a German newspaper describing the incident.
If anyone has any memories of the recovery work or individuals involved following the departure of most of the crew from the ship, I would be pleased to hear from them.

appbob
13th February 2012, 19:58
Hello Alun, I cannot help you about the loss of the "Ondo" but I do know the background to the stranding. I believe the skipper, Willie Farquhar was blamed for the loss which puzzled me as the weather conditions in a restricted seaway were atrocius. The German pilotage authorities were more supportive, even though the pilot attempting to board the Ondo was lost together with the boat crew. I sailed with Capt Farquahar on the Zungeru 4/52 to 8/52 on an unusual trip for Elder Dempster ie Uk/West Coast with general cargo, then to US with produce an fortunately back to Bremen with a full load of coal. I sailed as Purser with your father when he was chief officer on the Ebani, Capt. Walsh. This was 12/55 to 3/56.

On a different thread I would be very interested to learn what happened to Capt Farquhar.

Bob Appleton E.D's 1950 - 1960 - Purser

Rogerfrench
13th June 2012, 18:31
Alun, can't help you much. I left the Ondo in Feb 1961 - Willie Farquhar was the "Old Man" of course. Can't say he was a favourite of mine, but it was still sad what happened to him and his ship.
I knew your father of course, I imagine every ED Deck officer either knew him or of him. I remember the last time we met was on a train, in 1977 I think, some time after I'd come ashore. He told me he had just been to the Ebani for the last time, on her way to the breaker's yard. I liked those E-boats, sailed on Ebani and Eboe.
I had a great respect for your father, too. Just wanted to share.

clibb
14th June 2012, 19:02
Don't know if you have seen it, but there is some interesting film on www.britishpathe.com/video/freighter-aground/query/ondo. Regards, Nick Clibborn

crellintk
7th September 2012, 19:19
Some years ago, I spent three days storm-bound in Cuxhaven at the mouth of the Elbe. While there, one of the pilots took us to a maritime museum, containing artifacts dredged from the river. There was an entire room full of 'Donga' material - flags, silverware, crockery, bridge equipment, etc. Not sure if it's still there.

Ken C.

crellintk
9th September 2012, 13:30
Sorry - please ignore reference to 'Donga' in previous post. I meant 'Ondo,' of course.

KC