akenside

johnar
13th February 2012, 15:42
Hi there;
looking for any pictures comments etc of the steam coaster AKENSIDE, last ship I served on in the fifties

cheers, roger---(Pint)

Wribbenhall
13th February 2012, 20:14
Coaster s.s. AKENSIDE (Official No.135512) Completed as Yard No.117 on 30.11.13 by De Merwede S&M Hardinxveld,Netherlands
Length BP = 54.9m
Beam = 8.6m
Tonnage =700

For first owner R.Hughes & Co Liverpool in 1913 and named GUELDER ROSE

Changed owners 1941 = Williamstown Sg Co Ltd Liverpool
Changed owners1942 = N.W.Spratt Ltd Liverpool
Changed owners1943 = F.G.Browne Liverpool
Changed owners 1947 Renamed RIVERSIDER ,owners same F.G.Browne Liverpool
1951 Renamed AKENSIDE ,owners now Connell & Grace Ltd Newcastle -upon-Tyne.

BrokenUp Grangemouth 28.9.54 by G.W.Brunton.

Picture of her as GUELDER ROSE attached
Any pictures of her as AKENSIDE 1951-1954 are probably very rare.

johnar
14th February 2012, 10:47
Coaster s.s. AKENSIDE (Official No.135512) Completed as Yard No.117 on 30.11.13 by De Merwede S&M Hardinxveld,Netherlands
Length BP = 54.9m
Beam = 8.6m
Tonnage =700

For first owner R.Hughes & Co Liverpool in 1913 and named GUELDER ROSE

Changed owners 1941 = Williamstown Sg Co Ltd Liverpool
Changed owners1942 = N.W.Spratt Ltd Liverpool
Changed owners1943 = F.G.Browne Liverpool
Changed owners 1947 Renamed RIVERSIDER ,owners same F.G.Browne Liverpool
1951 Renamed AKENSIDE ,owners now Connell & Grace Ltd Newcastle -upon-Tyne.

BrokenUp Grangemouth 28.9.54 by G.W.Brunton.

Picture of her as GUELDER ROSE attached
Any pictures of her as AKENSIDE 1951-1954 are probably very rare.

Hi there,thank you for your rapid and comprehensive reply,I only sailed on her for a couple of months back in oct '52.It appears she was broken up a couple of years later, i'm not surprised she was in a sorry state, we put a hole in the side of her her when cleaning out the hold with just brush and shovel and we had to have a patch welded over the side before we could sail and there was some controversy as to whether we should sail at all! We lived in the focsl as I recall and carrying food from the galley,which was right aft was something of an adventure in the north sea in october.The real difference in the picture,as shown, is we had an enclosed wheelhouse,the steering was chain driven by a steam donkey engine half of which was in the wheelhouse and part of the helmsmans duties was to keep the engine lubricated and the resultant atmosphere,steam oil/grease and heat combined with the motion of the old girl,you were quite pleased to come off your trick on the wheel. The other thing that comes to mind was the difficulty she had in bucking the tide when entering a river harbour entrance ,she appeared to stand still! All in all it was time for her to go and it seems,she did.
thanks again---roger---(Pint)