oldbosun

oldbosun
13th July 2004, 17:31
Hello from Pete Nicholson, Toronto Canada.

I'm a Vindiboy and went to sea as deck boy in 1946. Last voyage in 1988. Had quite a few shore jobs in between, but always returned to the sea and ships. I sailed (not in this order) Union Castle, Cunard, Royal Mail, Blue Star, Bank Line, Shell, Esso,South American Saint Line, Port Line, Canadian Pacific Beaver boats, Houlder Bros, Various and obscure tramps that I forget their Company name. I sailed British, South African, Canadian flags, plus foc's.
I enjoyed my life at sea and am thankful that I sailed in the 'halcyon' days of shipping.

I collect photographs of ships of the 30's-40's-50's-60's. After that if they haven't got derricks.......I lose interest. I do collect tanker photos of those eras though.
Best wishes to all...............Peter.

Steve
14th July 2004, 07:57
Hello Pete,
Welcome to SN, Feel free to post pics in the gallery or on the forums.

james killen
28th December 2009, 13:15
Pete,

I suppose you are aware of the "Vindi" Association?

Although I went to the Vindi I'm not a member.
I could, though, probably get you their address
or maybe that of a few Old "Vidi" Boys over here in
Essex, England - if you want.

Rgds,

James Killen

R58484956
28th December 2009, 14:57
Greetings Pete and a warm welcome to SN from the south of England. Enjoy the site. Bon voyage.

backsplice
29th December 2009, 03:20
Hello Pete .....welcome to a great site if you,re interested just Google "Vindicatrix " and you,ll find all the relevent sites and possibly the Canadian branch of the TSVA (Training Ship Vindicatrix Association) all the best Backsplice (V57)(Thumb)

Andy
29th December 2009, 08:24
Blimey, how old is this thread?

R396040
29th December 2009, 16:16
Hello from Pete Nicholson, Toronto Canada.

I'm a Vindiboy and went to sea as deck boy in 1946. Last voyage in 1988. Had quite a few shore jobs in between, but always returned to the sea and ships. I sailed (not in this order) Union Castle, Cunard, Royal Mail, Blue Star, Bank Line, Shell, Esso,South American Saint Line, Port Line, Canadian Pacific Beaver boats, Houlder Bros, Various and obscure tramps that I forget their Company name. I sailed British, South African, Canadian flags, plus foc's.
I enjoyed my life at sea and am thankful that I sailed in the 'halcyon' days of shipping.

I collect photographs of ships of the 30's-40's-50's-60's. After that if they haven't got derricks.......I lose interest. I do collect tanker photos of those eras though.
Best wishes to all...............Peter.

Hi Pete,
I was at Vindi a year after you but catering. Its amazing though that the list of your shipping companies (not in order) almost mirrors mine in my first ten years at sea, I later settled on Cunard cargo ships and spent fifteen years with them Later marriage ,ferries etc as a lot did due to marital guidance..... I am guessing you were on one of the London pools,KGV or Dock St ?
You are right about being at sea the right time too .
Happy New Year
Stuart
France

are39
1st January 2010, 08:41
Hi Pete,
I was at Vindi a year after you but catering. Its amazing though that the list of your shipping companies (not in order) almost mirrors mine in my first ten years at sea, I later settled on Cunard cargo ships and spent fifteen years with them Later marriage ,ferries etc as a lot did due to marital guidance..... I am guessing you were on one of the London pools,KGV or Dock St ?
You are right about being at sea the right time too .
Happy New Year
Stuart
France

ah there,s a memory.Dock st pool Mr Ash,
and mr Putt at west i. dock pool.