Curious and curiouser bulk carrier voyages

shieldrow
22nd February 2012, 15:54
Anyone who may have an interest in the revival of steel making on Teeside may be interested or even shed light on some perculiar charters to and from the Redcar steelworks ore handling jetty.
As most will know to make iron (later steel) you need iron ore, coal in the form of coke and flux.
When the Redcar blastfurnace closed the adjoining coke ovens were kept going to supply other Tata plants and the coal was recieved at the ore unloading quay. Some coal was I believe also sent to UK power stations.
Since the Redcar blastfurnace was later acquired by the Thai SSI company, the blast furnace has been relined and should be soon back on blast. In fact late last year the Chinia Act brought a cargo of iron ore from Seven Islands for the anticipated start up.
However following the PD ports Tees website and Marine traffic website the following was observed.
The Panamanian bulker Yarrawonga brought coal in from Darymple Point Australia and after discharging reloaded coke (I think) for Sparrows Point steel works in Baltimore USA,
A similar vessel loaded coal at Newport USA, sailed to Germany and after discharging sailed in ballast to the Tees (Redcar) and loaded coke for again Sparrows point.
Could anyone shed light on these seemingly strange charters

makko
22nd February 2012, 20:55
Steelmaking has now been "globalised" by the likes of Arcelor Mittal and there is a certain synergy between plants in different countries for such resources as sponge iron, pellets, coke, slab, etc.
So, the charters are not that strange if you check out where these companies own plants.
Regards,
Dave

Erimus
22nd February 2012, 21:55
Steelmaking has now been "globalised" by the likes of Arcelor Mittal and there is a certain synergy between plants in different countries for such resources as sponge iron, pellets, coke, slab, etc.
So, the charters are not that strange if you check out where these companies own plants.
Regards,
Dave

...and the Jetty Management at Redcar Ore Terminal were delighted to be able to train/re-train dock workers in using their cranes.......ready for the big push next months,hopefully.

geoff

alan ward
11th April 2012, 15:44
The `Temple`boats of Lambert Bros.under management of Whitco were on charter to bring pulversided coal into Teesport in the mid70`s.I joined the `Temple Bar`there after one such charter.What a mess.

Erimus
11th April 2012, 21:20
The `Temple`boats of Lambert Bros.under management of Whitco were on charter to bring pulversided coal into Teesport in the mid70`s.I joined the `Temple Bar`there after one such charter.What a mess.

Yes we had a similar mess on Immingham Ore & Coal Terminal too!!!

geoff

trotterdotpom
12th April 2012, 02:09
Remember when they used to put paper runners along the alleyways during loading and discharging? After a while they stopped doing it, I was told because they were regarded as a fire hazard. Is that true?

John T

Erimus
12th April 2012, 09:38
Remember when they used to put paper runners along the alleyways during loading and discharging? After a while they stopped doing it, I was told because they were regarded as a fire hazard. Is that true?

John T

I'd forgotten about them!...........think it was costing too much! Never heard the H&S bit mentioned.

geoff

alan ward
11th August 2012, 19:30
#5 You`d expect it on the quay.I`ve been up in Sorel when the slurry has been ankle deep.Part of my job was keeping the accomodation clean,both private and public and I was rarely more pleased to shake the dust of a port from my heels than a steelworks/coal berth.

Burned Toast
12th August 2012, 11:10
#5 You`d expect it on the quay.I`ve been up in Sorel when the slurry has been ankle deep.Part of my job was keeping the accomodation clean,both private and public and I was rarely more pleased to shake the dust of a port from my heels than a steelworks/coal berth.

Your job Alan or the lads(Pint)(Gleam)

alan ward
12th August 2012, 12:07
Your job Alan or the lads(Pint)(Gleam)

The lads of course,but I`d done a fair bit of it in the past and it wouldn`t be the lads explaining to the OM or the C/E if their accomodation was shitty would it?

Mechanic-H
21st August 2012, 10:01
I think it was the bulker King James that delivered a cargo of coal from Norfolk VA to Port Talbot in '72. I seem to remember that it was the first one of many. I don't suppose the local miners were too happy.

Bankliner
5th September 2012, 21:53
Going back to the original thread, SSI import coking coal from the US and Australia, this is used to produce Coke for steel making, excess coke produced was exported to places such as Sparrows point, however after several shipments earlier this year very little has been exported following the collapse of the steel works at sparrows point. In fact a cargo of coke is being returned to Redcar from Sparrows point in October.

jimd
8th October 2012, 08:58
Port Hedland to Redcar 100k+ tons of coking coal, June 1984. mv Lackenby.

David Campbell
10th October 2012, 07:00
jimd. You must mean iron ore, there is no coal for export from Port Hedland.

jimd
10th October 2012, 07:11
Iron ore, coal they all seem to blend into one. It all seems a long time ago. my apologies.

oldseamerchant
10th October 2012, 22:59
The Coal comes out of Gladstone and Mackay on the NE coast. Right?

David Campbell
11th October 2012, 00:04
oldseamerchant.

Coal is exported from 5 ports in Queensland, 3 in NSW, also some from Victoria and a little from WA.

Google: Coal exports from Australia. The amount is amazing.

oldman 80
11th October 2012, 02:06
oldseamerchant.

Coal is exported from 5 ports in Queensland, 3 in NSW, also some from Victoria and a little from WA.

Google: Coal exports from Australia. The amount is amazing.

Qld Coal Ports - (North to South):-
Abbot Point;Dalrymple Bay;Hay Point; Gladstone.
Which is the 5th One ?

P.S. The boom has probably bust - developements shelved, workers lid off - but it had to happen I suppose.

sparkie2182
11th October 2012, 02:33
Talking of Pt. Hedland..............

Any idea why it should be used a passenger ship destination????

Coz it is.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/boom-town-port-hedland-a-tourist-drawcard-with-cruise-liners/story-e6frg2r3-1226398651272

The world's toughest pub..............."33,000 broken beer glasses a year."

Yep..............that's how i remember it!!!!!!

David Campbell
11th October 2012, 03:33
oldman80. Brisbane.

oldman 80
11th October 2012, 11:00
oldman80. Brisbane.

Well, Well, Well - Good Lord.
Would you believe it ?
I am a sort of Queenslander (for the past 25 years), a former coal ship Master, marine & cargo surveyor (draft surveying - Bowen Basin Ports) turned Nautical Surveyor, now long retired, and I did not know nor even suspect, that Brisbane was considered a coal port.
Are you sure ?

(Night)

trotterdotpom
11th October 2012, 11:46
Well, Well, Well - Good Lord.
Would you believe it ?
I am a sort of Queenslander (for the past 25 years), a former coal ship Master, marine & cargo surveyor (draft surveying - Bowen Basin Ports) turned Nautical Surveyor, now long retired, and I did not know nor even suspect, that Brisbane was considered a coal port.
Are you sure ?

(Night)

Coal loader at Queensland Bulk Handling at Fisherman Islands - used to berth there and discharge cement from Adelaide on "River Torrens", but I don't think we ever loaded coal. Definitely there though because I made the mistake of parking my car under the conveyor once (about 1990)!

John T

trotterdotpom
11th October 2012, 11:56
Talking of Pt. Hedland..............

Any idea why it should be used a passenger ship destination????

Coz it is.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/boom-town-port-hedland-a-tourist-drawcard-with-cruise-liners/story-e6frg2r3-1226398651272

The world's toughest pub..............."33,000 broken beer glasses a year."

Yep..............that's how i remember it!!!!!!

Have a friend from Scotland who is hoping to do a cruise from Sydney to Perth, via Hedland, next year. I too was stunned to hear the ship was stopping there. My preference was the Esplanade. A cut above the Pier and they had the Raunchy Girls show in the beer garden - no need for fake tan there, everything in the place is red with a capital R.

John T