John Keith Molyneux - Engineer

jmolyneux
22nd February 2012, 22:07
I was wondering whether anyone on these forums may have worked with my father John Keith Molyneux. He would have been known as Keith on board and served between 1966 and 1978.

Dad's career started as an Engineering Cadet and he left Blue Funnel as a 4th Engineer to work for Manxline.

During his career he work aboard the 'Breconshire', 'Jason', 'Atreus', 'Glenlyon', 'Radnorshire', 'Machaon', 'Antenor', 'Elpenor', 'Glenfinlas', Glenearn', 'Protesilaus', 'Phemius', 'Achilles', 'GlenFalloch', 'Glenogle', 'Tokyo Bay' & 'Liverpool Bay'.

The picture attached was taken on the 'Protesilaus' whist sailing through the Suez Canal.

I have a number of pictures that were taken whilst onboard if anyone is interested.

John Callon
22nd February 2012, 22:35
Hi
Knew your Dad when we both were on the Manx Line Ferry, Manx Viking. Had a good few runs ashore with your Dad when the vessel was berthed in Leith. However my time with Manxline was short lived as I moved onto better things so to speak. I believe your Dad passed away a few years ago which was very sad news when I heard that.

Regards
John

jmolyneux
23rd February 2012, 09:19
Hi John

Thank you for the reply, it is nice to hear from people that worked with Dad.

Dad passed away 16 years ago now and I have been researching the family history for the last twelve months or so. Rather than just having key dates I have been hoping to 'flesh out' the lives of my parents and their experiences so that future generations may know more about their own ancestors.

Juan

Peter Martin
23rd February 2012, 11:20
I also knew your Dad when at 'Aulis' - I was a deck cadet also with Ocean Fleets. I knew your Mother (Linda Lawrence?) when she worked at Liverpool Polytechnic. Sorry to hear of his passing and I wish you luck in your research.

jmolyneux
23rd February 2012, 19:29
Hi Peter

I have never heard the name Linda Lawrence before but that is not to say that she was not an ex-girlfriend. My mother was Ann Lyon from the Isle of Man but funnily enough was also a teacher albeit working in Leicester at the time.

I have been going through some of Dad's old slides which has certainly proved interesting! Attached is a picture from on board the 'Machaon'. It was apparently a birthday. Dad is second from the right.

If anyone has any stories to share I would love to hear them as I was only 14 when my Dad passed away and my younger brother was only 7.

SuperClive
1st August 2012, 19:51
Hi Juan

I sailed with your Dad several times on the Bay Boats - Tokyo & Liverpool. I was 4/E on my first trip on Tokyo then 3/E on subsequent voyages. If I remember correctly, we were both 3/E's on my last voyage in 1977.

I'd heard he'd passed away a couple of years ago as I still keep in contact with the ex Blu Flu lads who run Atlantic Engineering in Odyssey Works. I was sorry to hear that. Like all us Blu Flu trained Cadets, he was a good engineer, a true professional who could also have a good laugh and joke.

Best wishes

Clive Briscoe

jmolyneux
6th August 2012, 21:48
Hi Clive

Thank you for your reply. Going from Dad's Seamans Discharge books he would have been 4/E on Tokyo & Liverpool Bay in 1977. He left in 1978 and went to work for Manx Line.

If you have a link with Atlantic Engineering you may also know my Uncle, Les Molyneux?

SuperClive
8th August 2012, 00:20
Hi Clive

Thank you for your reply. Going from Dad's Seamans Discharge books he would have been 4/E on Tokyo & Liverpool Bay in 1977. He left in 1978 and went to work for Manx Line.

If you have a link with Atlantic Engineering you may also know my Uncle, Les Molyneux?

Indeed I do! When I last worked for OFL in Odyssey (1993) Les was there then and went across to AEL when the lads bought out the workshop from Ocean to become AEL. In my subsequent DNV days, I was a frequent visitor witnessing materials testing and would go around the offices visiting my old workmates. It was Les who told me about your Dad's passing. I finished on the Bay Boats in Dec 1977 as 3/E and got invalided home as 2/E from the Donga in Feb 1978. Shore based industries until 1985 then got invited back to OFL's tech consultancy in the Buildings for sesveral short contracts until full time in Odyssey 1989-93 when effectively, OFL started to implode and disappear...

I periodically give them a ring or drop in for a chat so still keep in touch with Les, John Bridgwater and the gang.

BFN

Clive