A last portrait

jamesgpobog
23rd February 2012, 05:24
I think this is a fantastic portrait of Mispillion in her last days. When I think of her last voyage, this is the pic I want to see. It was taken the morning of 2/21/12.

She is the very last of the WWII tankers/oilers built for the US Navy, the end of an era. She is 67 years old now, and did her duty refueling and replenishing Navy ships for a total of 44 years, 28 in the Navy, and 16 with Military Sealift Command (military mission, civilian crew). She held pumping records and flew the flag "Fastest Pump In The West". I could be wrong, but as far as I have been able to determine, no other US Navy oiler has ever served as long. I think that makes USS Mispillion AO 105, "Mighty Miss", the best.

R396040
23rd February 2012, 20:52
Great photo James. Guess we all have to go sometime, us and ships.
Stuart

mrcanoehead
26th February 2012, 16:59
not a bad ship at all, all t3's of this style were very strong ships, they just got old is all. most built in chester pa, sparrows point balt, & up in qunicy ma.some by Kaiser on west coast. A few survive on the lakehead as laker bulkers, but not for long now as their emmissions & cost of operations will do them in.