RMAS Dexterous

BUGGINS
24th February 2012, 17:22
February 2012, reported sold at Greenock and en route to the Mersey for refit prior to service in West Africa.

Slowone
24th February 2012, 21:13
Good luck to those that work on her in the future, I remember when she arrived nice and new in Rosyth back in the 80's

Waighty
28th February 2012, 09:20
Good luck to those that work on her in the future, I remember when she arrived nice and new in Rosyth back in the 80's

Likewise Mark. I remember Barry Kinch getting very excited by the prospect of taking it over. Pity the arrival of the Tutts at Rosyth coincided with a reduction in the bigger grey ships a couple of years later! Great accommodation vessels when duty crew though.

Not sure if I'd like to make the delivery voyage to West Africa though!

roofaerosyth
28th February 2012, 18:19
she was skippered by john canpbell by the time i joined her.willie thornton skippered nimble at that time.

Slowone
28th February 2012, 21:40
Never liked the TUTT's at sea, they had a strange feel to them in a swell, sort of going up the swell sideways, screw round and go down the otherside swinging the other way. NEWTON was a great deal more comfortable.
Sailed with John Campbell, Willie Thornton amongst many of the skippers / pilots at Rosyth - Happy days

roofaerosyth
29th February 2012, 17:43
it was the noise of the engines that i didnt like.it took a bit of getting used to.i was lucky enough that i never went to sea in them.lol

Waighty
29th February 2012, 19:04
John Campbell was a wry humoured highly individual sort of guy who I got on with well. I seem to recall his legs gave him grief causing him to retire early. Willie Thornton was always in a hurry particularly if it was anywhere near 1600!

roofaerosyth
29th February 2012, 20:18
as you say mike , he was definately individual.i got on great with john after i got used to his ways and mannerisms.really nice guy.derek welbon(stoker or mech?) was aboard at the same time as me.you might remember him as he was always telling really bad jokes that only he laughed at.i met him in tescos in rosyth last night.hes still telling bad jokes.and he still laughs at them too.lol.

senior pilot
1st March 2012, 10:48
nice to see some names from the past willie and derek

Waighty
1st March 2012, 17:04
as you say mike , he was definately individual.i got on great with john after i got used to his ways and mannerisms.really nice guy.derek welbon(stoker or mech?) was aboard at the same time as me.you might remember him as he was always telling really bad jokes that only he laughed at.i met him in tescos in rosyth last night.hes still telling bad jokes.and he still laughs at them too.lol.

Oh yes I remember Derek Welbon well. Also "splitpin" but can't remember his real name. Dougie Harper from Sal days. Loads of faces but the old grey matter can't put names to them. Roy Beveridge, the demon HLD driver, was always a happy bloke and good for the crack. One time I remember coming alongside the FFP on Cairn and managed it with only one engine movement asten before stopping right on the mark - pure fluke mind you - never happened again but Roy was duty with me that night and he jumped on to the FFP and shouted at anyone who would listen that that was how a dog class should be handled! I was dead embarrassed as it was just luck really. I believe he's crossed the bar?

roofaerosyth
1st March 2012, 17:34
he did mike.roy went roundabout the same time as willie pratt .closely followed by seymour lauchlan.i seen wee dunc gillanders(salmaster) about a year ago.i also seen norman stubbs 2 or 3 years back.dougie harper lives 100 yards from vince in inverkeithing.i believe his son greg is still in the job.as is alex laird jr.and colin erskine (son of bob erskine).p.s. i still see roys son eric a lot in rosyth.

senior pilot
1st March 2012, 21:53
more names from the past i attended roys service it was a celebration of his life.

Compass Rose
11th March 2012, 08:54
SD DEXTEROUS is currently being repainted (white housing) whilst alongside at Vittoria dock, Birkenhead. I have also heard a whisper that she will soon change her name to AGILITY. But this is unconfirmed.

roofaerosyth
11th March 2012, 15:57
think ive been at that dock during a refit on salmaster.(you might be able to confirm that mark).is it just my brain playing up , or did the pas/rmas have a vessel called agillity many moons ago.or was it agile ? someone on here will know.

zero
11th March 2012, 18:31
Agile was a tug of the "Confiance" class.

roofaerosyth
11th March 2012, 19:14
thanks zero.

senior pilot
27th March 2012, 13:43
has been renamed Agility in Birkenhead

senior pilot
27th March 2012, 20:15
AGILITY.
New Owner: Monty Jones.
Port of Registry: London. British Flag.
Presently being painted in her new colours, overhauling machinery and having air-conditioning fitted.
Expected to depart Birkenhead for Africa in some four to five weeks time.

Compass Rose
29th March 2012, 13:15
AGILITY, taken today in Vittoria dock, Birkenhead

Bob S
31st March 2012, 11:48
I saw her there the other day but couldn't find a photographic vantage point, is there public access to get a photo like this?

Compass Rose
31st March 2012, 17:47
Hi Robert, yes to take that photo you have to be on Tower Road and shoot with a long lens up into Vittoria Dock.

Park by the traffic lights (Tower Rd/Tower Wharf) and walk towards the roundabout looking through into Vittoria Dock until you have a clear shot of her.

Bob S
1st April 2012, 12:21
Hi Robert, yes to take that photo you have to be on Tower Road and shoot with a long lens up into Vittoria Dock.

Park by the traffic lights (Tower Rd/Tower Wharf) and walk towards the roundabout looking through into Vittoria Dock until you have a clear shot of her.

Cheers for that, hopefully I will be able to get a shot before she goes.

Bob

nodes
16th April 2012, 09:08
Besides the noise I hated the vibration of the TUT's at sea. But then they are paddlers at the end of the day.

marka108
4th July 2012, 08:50
hi guys, im new on here and found you whilst looking for info on my step dad who worked on the tugs in rosyth, he was gordon allan or "big G" to anyone who knew him. im sure he was chief steward on the dexterous,

i hope someone remembers him and maybe theres someone out there with some pictures kicking around,

cheers guys.

john ferrary
4th July 2012, 16:14
my old man used work on capable in gib and was one that did a trip to rescue hms tireless off sardinia, had a few storms on the way back to gib but says not a very good tug in high seas

roofaerosyth
5th July 2012, 21:32
hi guys, im new on here and found you whilst looking for info on my step dad who worked on the tugs in rosyth, he was gordon allan or "big G" to anyone who knew him. im sure he was chief steward on the dexterous,

i hope someone remembers him and maybe theres someone out there with some pictures kicking around,

cheers guys.
a few guys i work with knew big g.i think i met him once when i was a messenger prior to going onto the tugs in rosyth.that would have been around 1986-1987.would that be right ? cheers.ROO.i asked a few guys at work today and they tell me big g was on the accord, goosander,uplifter,salmaster and dexterous during his time at rosyth.he was also on one of the r class tugs for a few years on the west coast.hope this helps.cheers.ROO

fitz1925
5th July 2012, 23:44
Agility now joined by sd nimble
Agility will tow nimble down to Africa
Sd nimble to be named nimble registered London
Just having aircon fitted and then around an 18 to 20 day trip
I'm up for that but I would have to borrow some guns off the Plymouth just in case
Peter

Waighty
6th July 2012, 21:20
Agility now joined by sd nimble
Agility will tow nimble down to Africa
Sd nimble to be named nimble registered London
Just having aircon fitted and then around an 18 to 20 day trip
I'm up for that but I would have to borrow some guns off the Plymouth just in case
Peter

So both ex Rosyth TUTTS end up together in Africa, ahhh!

senior pilot
8th January 2013, 17:12
SD NIMBLE AND AGILITY EX DEXTEROUS now working in the gulf of guinea out of the port of loma

Waighty
12th January 2013, 19:10
SD NIMBLE AND AGILITY EX DEXTEROUS now working in the gulf of guinea out of the port of loma

Still with the same bollard pull I wonder?

Gordy Connor
20th November 2013, 08:11
Just came across this, I was on the Sd Nimble, sister ship to the Dexterous. I think the Nimble towed the Dexterous to Africa.