Tremorvah

Wainui
23rd January 2006, 10:18
I would like to add my Tupence worth on one of the happiest ship I sailed on.
The m.v. Tremorvah of the Hain S.S. Co.
I sailed on her in 1962/1963 as Radio Officer and we did a trip around the World. We built our own Swimming Pool by number three hatch, amidships, and we built it from leftover dunage. As soon as we were in the warm weather we would spend our evenings by the Swimming pool.
We owe our happiness to the Captain (Boyd) and Chief Officer.

slick
8th June 2006, 20:41
Wainui,
I served my time in the Hain SS Co., and in spite of the generally bad press and comments herein I look back on my time with almost undiluted pleasure.
Everything in the way of relaxation was exclusively from our own resources as you note self built swimming pools on deck darts and singalongs, Sods Operas etc.
Most ships were dry, well two cans per man per night opened in front of you "No Banking".
I was on one ship the Trevelyan and the water was very much limited and suspect, our captain,Captain Stewart laid in top quality German Lager from Aden for our trip to Shimonoseki with a full cargo of sea salt.
Two bottles (500ml.each)per man suitably chilled I don't think there has ever been a sweeter draught it was taken in great company on number Four Hatch in the evening under those unforgettable tropical starlight skies.
It still comes back to remind me of great times and some great fellows.
Yours aye
Slick

baribill
28th July 2006, 18:46
Just looked at the site and saw Hain shipping. I sailed on the Trevider 4 that number surprised me i didnt even know there were four untill i found Hain web site. However there are qute good pictures of other Hain boats but not a very good one of the Trevider could be as she was number four and eventually sold as Eastgate well there you are. Did a trip with her to Oz and back1950, slept midships that was a change. I just wish i could get a decent picture I was EDH my first trip as. Anyone going to Vindi reuion i will be there

zsimone
29th July 2006, 04:16
Hi baribill

Did find a couple photos of Trevider in my files but unfortunately not to good a quality and from an uknown source.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3361/trevider986cd2.th.jpg (http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trevider986cd2.jpg)http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5135/trevidervb9.th.jpg (http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trevidervb9.jpg)

Cheers
Gary

PollY Anna
30th October 2006, 16:03
It would be lovley to have a few Co's today like Hain's, Hogarth's, Smith's of Cardiff or even Chapman's the kids today just don't know what they have missed

PollY Anna
30th October 2006, 16:04
I did 2 Tree boats and had the greatest of "FUN" I will leave it at that but we all know what I mean

chrisrice
5th November 2006, 18:52
Can you remember me, I was the boy on the tremorvah in 1962, from Somerset ?

Chris Rice

ruud
29th November 2006, 01:46
Just looked at the site and saw Hain shipping. I sailed on the Trevider 4 that number surprised me i didnt even know there were four untill i found Hain web site. However there are qute good pictures of other Hain boats but not a very good one of the Trevider could be as she was number four and eventually sold as Eastgate well there you are. Did a trip with her to Oz and back1950, slept midships that was a change. I just wish i could get a decent picture I was EDH my first trip as. Anyone going to Vindi reuion i will be there

Ahoy,
This the TREVIDER you're looking for?
Here in Surrey docks, not the best shot neither, but hard to scan those oldies:

http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trevider1944zs4.jpg (http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trevider1944zs4.jpg)

robandbarbara
6th April 2007, 23:50
Taken in London Docks 16.11.1959

Geoff Garrett
8th April 2007, 03:18
Sailed in her on my first trip to sea, joined her in Immingham Sept 1961. In ballast to the Great Lakes and to load USAID cargo for the poor people of Japan/Korea/Taiwan and Hong Kong (how the world changes), thence to BC Ports to load sawn timber (plank by plank) for Surrey Commercial Docks, arriving April 1962. Even today, 45 years later still remember the name and face of every man aboard that ship.

bilbur
17th May 2007, 10:49
i'm sure I was on the Tremorva same time,1961-62 anyway did the same trip,only I joined in Smiths Dock,North Shields,I was on deck with a cousin of mine John, nearly missed her in Kobe.....Happy Days,
Bill Burwood

A.MAIR
28th May 2007, 20:43
a.mair joined tremorvah in barry drydock 1959 wonder if anyone remembers me jun eng remember app deck officers byname mobydick & geffory deffery foster

tonyvau
9th December 2010, 08:05
Joined in salford in 1957 - first tripper apprentice. Remained until 1959 when sent to Treglisson, then Trevose as 3rd mate. Left Hains and went to Ellermans after gaining 2nd mates.
re other posts remember geoffery de ferry well - he came from Stroud as I recall. Also Mal Cowton from Yorkshire, ?Cooper from East Anglia and of course all the masters - Henry Care, Samuel Olds-Watkins, ?Phlliips(the baron!).Hard times but fair - did me no harm at all!

Good to reminisce

Tony Vaughan (now in Australia)

R58484956
9th December 2010, 16:38
Greetings Tony and welcome to SN from a rather cold England. Bon voyage

jim phillips
27th September 2011, 15:29
Joined in salford in 1957 - first tripper apprentice. Remained until 1959 when sent to Treglisson, then Trevose as 3rd mate. Left Hains and went to Ellermans after gaining 2nd mates.
re other posts remember geoffery de ferry well - he came from Stroud as I recall. Also Mal Cowton from Yorkshire, ?Cooper from East Anglia and of course all the masters - Henry Care, Samuel Olds-Watkins, ?Phlliips(the baron!).Hard times but fair - did me no harm at all!

Good to reminisce

Tony Vaughan (now in Australia)
Hi Tony, i joined her in mount stewart dry dock march 59 with Wilf Livermore as cabin boys. did two trips(1 year) then went on to liners.Chas Pratt was skipper and Dobson was 1st mate. Jacobson was chief steward.had some good times while on board. jim phillips.