Maasbree

Fairfield
16th July 2004, 12:23
Loch Striven off the Firth of Clyde was a haven for laid up VLCCs during the 1970s and 1980s.This is the MAASBREE which was originally Safmarine/s GONDWANA, leaving in June 1985 as MAAS for Kaohsiung for breaking.She had lain in the Loch for approx. 3 years.

Jan Hendrik
6th May 2005, 12:33
Do you know the story behind the name?
Maasbree is a Dutch name and "Maas" is the river through Rotterdam (in English the river "Meuse")
As far as I recall there was also a coaster named: Maasbree

Fairfield
6th May 2005, 13:54
Not really sure.I take it because she was a Nedlloyd ship they decided to give her a good Netherlands name.

Hendo!
27th November 2005, 12:00
Maasbree is a town in the southern Netherlands near the German border. It is near Venlo in the Limburg province.

ruud
27th November 2005, 12:14
Ahoy,

A nice shot of the Maasbree, but as far as I know, no coaster by that name, there were a few other Maas coasters, as: Maasborg,Maashaven,Maasmond.Maasplein,Maasvalk, and sure some more.

Timbo
19th May 2008, 20:01
Hi
My Father was Capt Donald Hindle and his first command was the Gondwana we had a big photo of it which faded so had an oil painting made of the photo.

Tynesider
19th May 2008, 20:43
I could be wrong here but I thought that the previous name of the MAASBREE
was SINDE not GONDWANA. SINDE was bigger than GONDWANA which had a sistership KULU.

My father is a retired Safmarine Captain who served on GONDWANA,BURLAND,MARLAND,KULAND as well as a number of Safmarine reefers and bulk carriers