Captain Macphee

wully farquhar
24th January 2006, 20:02
Any Ben Boat men out there who sailed with Bob, sailed with him on the old Benvenue,think he died early part of last year.A good skipper.

ron hansen
29th January 2006, 21:05
i remember him from the benreoch used to steal all the magazines while on sunday inspection

EBenarty
3rd February 2006, 23:22
Yes knew him well sailed with him on the Bennevis in 1977 -78.
Fine man- Never logged anyone - always offered them out on -No. 4 hatch . I can tell a hillarious story but do not know if approved !!
He was nicknamed Typhoon Robert. I had a lot of time for him, he eventually retired in Inverurie after working as OIM on Ben Line Oil Rigs.

billyboy
4th February 2006, 01:44
Please put pen to paper and post your tale on "Funny Stories thread" we are all waiting to read it arnt we lads?

wully farquhar
4th February 2006, 13:18
Deadright Ebenarty,if you did wrong you were called to his cabin and you got the biggest bollicking to could ask for,then told to f*** of.it made you feel knee high to a grasshopper,still it was better than losing two days pay.

EBenarty
24th February 2006, 22:05
Please put pen to paper and post your tale on "Funny Stories thread" we are all waiting to read it arnt we lads?

Ok here is one. Capt. Bob used to do his weekly Sunday inspections and here is one of his classics!!! He had a great sense of humour, and we always carried dogs as cargo which the Cadets looked after.
His party piece on Sunday inspection was to make dogs poo out of cocoa bread and water and put it on various crew members bunks (especially new ones)and give them a bollicking He used to come in the cabin and say it looks like it , smells like it then he would take a huge bite and say tastes like it then a huge roar of laughter.
But the 2nd Lecky Jimmie Gray from Buckie was getting fed up with this and sneeked into his cabin during inspection and put the real dog poo on his bunk,Bob did his usual and promptly vomited over his bunk!!

EBenarty
24th March 2006, 21:57
i remember him from the benreoch used to steal all the magazines while on sunday inspection

Yes sailed 2 trips with him on the Bencairn, a real down to earth Captain - who was liked by all members of crew - but if you stepped out of line on him you were in trouble . I really enjoyed sailing with him as 2nd. Mate and Liz and I got a real nice Wedding telegram from him which I still appreciate.
Billy

albertwebster
26th March 2006, 00:37
Yes I remember Capatain Bob very well, the Bear we used to nickname him. I'm sure he was first officer on the Benreoch when I sailed on her 1955-1956. Then met up with him again as skipper on the (I think) the Benvorlich from 1963 - 1964. I shall have to dig out the old discharge book to get the details right. Met up with him again in our local supermarket a few years ago.A shadow of the man he used to be.

EBenarty
3rd April 2006, 23:17
Yes I re-met him a good few years ago when I was on Jebsens Oil Rigs and he was OIM on the Benreoch Oil Rig and like me he did not like the rigs !! As you say he was not half the man I will always remember him as. I had a lot of admiration for him and he treated us fairly !! Any dirty jobs us Cadets alwayts had a case of beer or bottle left in our cabin when the job was complete!!
Billy