Hungry Hogarths

Burntisland
25th January 2006, 03:27
Anyone sail with Hogarths old ships..........specifically Baron Glenconner? I remember her as Liberian registered ZITA in 1965 with major boiler problems.

John Rogers
25th January 2006, 03:55
I see you are from Boca Grande, fell in love with a local gal there in 1949. She was one of a twin. I bet you know the family.
John.

Burntisland
25th January 2006, 11:13
Bet I do..................hit me with a last name and let's see. Good chance the gal is still living at BG and I've seen her recently.

John Rogers
25th January 2006, 12:27
I see you are up early. I sent you a PM with some info on the young lady in question. I see by your birthday that you were not born when I docked there so she would be at least 18 years older than you,the place was so small you could be related Email me when you get the chance.
John.

Burntisland
26th January 2006, 00:26
Aye, I was not yet born but I was the baby of the family born in 1950. I had five siblings the oldest being born in 1930. As you've probably already read my PM and email you know by now that my family did indeed know those girls. She must have been memory maker for you to still recall her as you do.

John Rogers
26th January 2006, 01:40
Yes she was,beautiful 17 year old blond driving a buick convertible down to the ship to pick me up,can never forget those times and I was a sweet Innocent 18 year old. And the Island of Boca Grande was very much Grande. Memories like that are hard to forget,also was the bombing in the war and freezing my ass off in the bomb shelter.
John.

shipmate17
27th January 2006, 18:42
BARON GLENCONNER.(1955 by Caledon Shipbuilding & Eng.Co Ltd.Dundee.1963 renamed ZITA.1965 renamed KUO YANG.1968 renamed CONVOY PIONEER.1969 sold & renamed AMWORLD.scrapped 1973 at Kaohsiung.
Cheers.

Gulpers
27th January 2006, 19:23
Yes she was,beautiful 17 year old blond driving a buick convertible down to the ship to pick me up,can never forget those times .............. John.

........... and the photographs are .......... where, John? (*))

I always did like Buick Convertibles!

Mind you, if you do have any pictures of a beautiful 17 year old blonde girl ..... I suppose we could be forced to look at them! (Jester)

John Rogers
27th January 2006, 22:25
Sorry, all pictures have gone after these many years,but I may get lucky and see some again.
John. (Thumb) (Thumb)

R651400
28th January 2006, 09:17
I always did like Buick Convertibles!

....and so you should. The mannie came frae Arbroath.

ruud
28th January 2006, 09:53
Yes she was,beautiful 17 year old blond driving a buick convertible down to the ship to pick me up,can never forget those times and I was a sweet Innocent 18 year old.
John.Ahoy,
Sweet Innocent 18 year old boy?????
To be honest, well at that age I wasn't.(*))
http://www.cars-on-line.com/16100/55buick16108-A.jpg

Gulpers
28th January 2006, 10:24
Can't quite make out the 17 year old blonde "Sweetie Pie" Ruud! Have you airbrushed her out? (Jester)

jim barnes
28th January 2006, 13:15
realy enjoyed reading this thread, this is what SN should be all about (Applause)
I'm just a softy at heart (Night) (Thumb)

John Rogers
28th January 2006, 13:28
Yes thats the same kind of car,what we called a four hole Buick.
I said I was innocent because you never know who reads the boards, besides I would never kiss and tell. Sadly I just found out from one of our members that the sweet young lady has passed on,but the memories will linger forever for me.
John.

Gulpers
28th January 2006, 13:35
Yes thats the same kind of car,what we called a four hole Buick.
I said I was innocent because you never know who reads the boards, besides I would never kiss and tell. Sadly I just found out from one of our members that the sweet young lady has passed on,but the memories will linger forever for me.
John.

Sorry to hear that John. :@ At least you still have your happy memories. (*))

Ray

Burntisland
28th January 2006, 15:06
Four hole..............I guess that's what it's called when there are four girls in it? Ha...........Just kidding...........I know it's because of the holes on the fender but I just couldn't resist. I need to tone it down a bit or they're gonna boot me off this site! (Fly)

John Rogers
28th January 2006, 17:22
Thanks for clearing that up,I forgot that many of the members didn't know the low tech terminology of the four holes. We also had a name for a car like that a (PW) No it not a Porch Wagon.
John.

alan ward
21st October 2011, 15:00
One of the best things about our transient lifestyles is that the girls stay forever 17 and to them we still have hair,teeth and waistlines!

notnila
21st October 2011, 22:56
(Applause)(Applause)(Applause)One of the best things about our transient lifestyles is that the girls stay forever 17 and to them we still have hair,teeth and waistlines!

Jocko
11th November 2011, 10:46
This thread started off titled Hungry Hogarths and then got lost blethering about old sweethearts.
Just for the record, the nickname Hungry Hogarths probably dates back to the depression and certainly didn`t exist in the late 50s early 60s. I sailed with the Baron Kinnaird (Maiden voyage) 5months. Baron Inverclyde, 2 months and Baron Jedburgh 2 years in engineroom. On all three ships the food was excellent. They were good ships, took all kinds of weather in their stride and a great way to see the world as they General Cargo and they took you everywhere. They were also small enough to go up rivers to good ports that the ships nowadays couldn`t dream about. Three cheers for the Baron boats and all who sailed on them.

China hand
11th November 2011, 18:39
Hear Him! Give me a 3 fwd, 2 aft hatch job halfway up the Parana anytime. The undermanned monsters we see these days going from box terminal to box terminal just ain't in the running.

jim barnes
14th November 2011, 16:17
Hear Him! Give me a 3 fwd, 2 aft hatch job halfway up the Parana anytime. The undermanned monsters we see these days going from box terminal to box terminal just ain't in the running.
Fully agree big boxes carrying hundreds of little boxes, great feat in engineering and job destruction.(Cloud)

Jocko
14th November 2011, 20:17
Some articles that I`ve been reading say that an awful lot of those monsters are breaking up and sinking like the Derbyshire. I wouldn`t sail on those for double wages, too risky. If I had any young relations who wanted to go to sea (thats if they could find a company who don`t take foreign crews) I would tell them to stick to small ships even if meant staying on Coasters.

jim barnes
21st November 2011, 10:47
As stated "if you could find a British ship with a BRITISH crew" What did happen to our merchant seamen? Dont say they priced them selves out, just say the owners found a cheaper crew quite often uneducated but willing to work for a bit of money and food,and probably in conditions that any one would object to and British governments of all parties standing back and allowing it to happen. Not in the know now but what are the numbers of British seamen now (not counting officers) Enginroom, catering, deck. Deap sea, coasters, ferry's, supply vessels to oil & gas. OMG where did we go wrong and will the jobs ever return to our great nation of seagoing men & women, will our sea training schools for young crews ever return. Governments allways going on about jobs for our young dont they realise we are surrounded by water and are a island that needs ships (our ships) and crews. British crews.(Night)