City Of London

Fairfield
16th July 2004, 23:57
She was one of two sisters and was built at Scotstoun in 1970.Her sister,CITY OF HULL was built at Dundee.
These shots on LONDON were taken in Glasgow in 1973 on the occasion of the local World Ship Society branch organising a visit.

Bob S
24th July 2005, 14:30
CITY OF LONDON seen in the Royal docks, London.
No date.

manolito_1
11th August 2006, 09:03
I was on the City of Liverpool in 1973 as an electrical Off. (leccy),was not this ship the same class as the City of London and the City of Hull?
best wishes. Malcolm Bennington

Fairfield
11th August 2006, 13:13
She was indeed- forgot all about her!! Can/t remember if she was Dundee built as well. Certainly not Clyde- that was just LONDON.

Jim S
12th August 2006, 19:36
Any info out there about the City of Liverpool referred to?
Surprisingly the usually very reliable Ships in Focus "Ellerman Lines" makes no reference to a City of Liverpool of any era and yet there are two photos in the gallery clearly showing a City of Liverpool that appears to be of the 1950's City of Oxford class of turbine steamers. Ellermans certainly had an unusual policy of changing a ship's name during her career.

gdynia
12th August 2006, 20:44
Jim

Come across 3 vessels with names as follows from Ellermans different companies

City of Liverpool 1970 -1981 sold to Greece renamed Marianthe.

Hall Line
City of Liverpool Built 1948. Sold 1967 to Panama as Kavo Grossos

Ellerman and Bucknall

City of Liverpool Built 1982(Chartered Vessel) returned to Germany in 1985 as Campania

Jim S
12th August 2006, 21:41
Jim

Come across 3 vessels with names as follows from Ellermans different companies

City of Liverpool 1970 -1981 sold to Greece renamed Marianthe.

Hall Line
City of Liverpool Built 1948. Sold 1967 to Panama as Kavo Grossos

Ellerman and Bucknall

City of Liverpool Built 1982(Chartered Vessel) returned to Germany in 1985 as Campania
Thanks, that clears it up - the 1970 version would appear to be sister ship to City of London and City of Hull.
Any idea where she was built?

AlexBooth
18th January 2007, 22:45
If I recall correctly they where built in Sunderland 1968-1971

ruud
19th January 2007, 07:33
Ahoy,
City of London 1970,Scotstoun built Upper Clyde Shipbuilders Ltd.[517]
City of Hull 1971,Dundee built Robb Caledon Shipbuilders Ltd.[555]
City of Liverpool 1970, Dundee built Robb Caledon Shipbuilders Ltd[554]

AlexBooth
20th January 2007, 21:27
Checking my 'memoirs', I joined the Hull in May 1970 for her maiden voyage.

Chris Field
26th January 2007, 22:22
Lovely looking ship, but still not a patch on the 1947 City of London class!
12 passengers, luxurious cabins and and a great buch of apprentices to look after their daughters' needs...

Fergus 62
27th January 2007, 08:34
(Frogger) (Thumb) Agree one hundred per cent with you Chris. My first ship as Deck Apprentice was the 1947 City of London 1962 - 63. Two trips, East Africa and India. And yes we did entertain a diplomats two teenage daughters. On the serious side the City of London was a fine old lady and despite the fact that we had several tragic experiences including loss of live in that period after all these years I retain many fond memories of those trips. Perhaps time filters out the hard times but the good ones (and there were many) remain. Yea, good shipmates, good ship, good times.

Fergus 62

Hugh Ferguson
27th January 2007, 17:07
Can anyone tell me anything about the City of Bedford in 1956. She towed a Swedish ketch called the Globe from the southern end of the Red Sea to Aden in March 1956. My wife to be was mate of the ketch! I'm hoping to contact somebody who may have been in the City of Bedford and may have taken pictures of the event. Hugh Ferguson.

Derek Hudson
9th February 2007, 01:02
I was on the City of Liverpool in 1973 as an electrical Off. (leccy),was not this ship the same class as the City of London and the City of Hull?
best wishes. Malcolm Bennington

I was also on this ship as 2nd Steward with Joe Cashmore as Purser coasting sometime. It was my last ship when I left the sea in 1977 as Purser. You are right the City of London, Liverpool & Hull were sister ships.

manolito_1
5th January 2008, 12:22
This was also my last ship with Ellermans June 4th 1973.
The only deep sea trip (May5th-Sept 9th 1972) Port of call. London-Durban-Muscat-Abadan-Khorramshar-Basrah-Kuwait-Bahrain-Doha-Singapore-Rejang-Hong Kong-Yokahama-Kobe-Shimizu-Balboa(Panama)-London. Capt John Owen.C/Stwd Joe Cashmore,and for the life of me can't remember the rest of the crew,anyone know?
regards Malcolm Bennington

Trader
9th January 2008, 01:01
There was a ship called "City of London" which was owned by the Brussels S.S. Co. on the London/Brussels trade. She was built in 1927 and sold in 1962 so she was sailing at the same time as the Ellerman ship of the same name built in 1947.
I thought that there couldn't be two ships with the same name on the British register at the same time.
Trader.

manolito_1
30th January 2008, 10:31
The City of Liverpool if I remember had a new type Doxford engine the top piston being a smaller buffer piston.I do remember the cranes because I had to work on them.They were Clarke Chapman controlled by Ward-Leonard sets i.e. an A.C. motor coupled to a D.C. generator,my first experience of an A.C. ship.

Donnie More
2nd February 2008, 00:27
remember the crane ward-leonards sets well , on the londons second last trip in the company about 1980, it was found in liverpool the day before sailing to east africa, that all four foredeck verticle standing slew motors had filled up to the comms with rain water from the previous trip when one lifeboat had carried away in a hurricain off maritus ,we had to stip out all armatures and brake gear to put ashore for baking at port said ,second leckie was put on nights to dry out the field coils and poles in the galley oven , working long days on scaffold boards on the crane jib for access , ship delayed three days before going thru canal , the windlass and other control gear never really recovered from the effects the whole trip , the rain water had entered thu the contol panels on the crane sides and down into all motors via cable conduits . made for another memorable trip

brian hay
1st May 2008, 17:05
Re City of Hull o/no 181104 circa 47 sister to C of London,and C of Pretoria
twin turbines,I sailed on C of Hull in 57 as 4th eng and again in 1960 as 3rd
A story about C of London I meet an engineer who was on the London during the spit head review in 53,they had extra staff on board,made up of lads
on ticket leave.As most rember money got tight on ticket leave,he didnt
run up a bar bill payed as he went.At the end of the review Sir John Ellerman told the purser to cancel all bar bills!this poor chap had a grand bill of one
bar of chocolate!!
There were City of Liverpool single screw turbine(182485)Manchester(182144)Perth(182127)of the City of Oxford class amongst the ships I put my head
down to lie in 50/60s buggers to stop smoking if the old man was in a hurry

James Dawson
6th November 2009, 11:58
This vessel was built by Connolls shipyard and the sulzur engine was supplied by Barclay Curle Engine Works where I served my apprenticeship. I remember her well a lovely ship. Barclay's also supplied the engines for the Toronto class vessels as well.

thedon59
9th November 2009, 23:12
I sailed as an Engine Cadet on the City of Liverpool in early 1979. A wee bit of trivia, her Derricks were pictured in the Efficient Deck Hand book.

simonpjd
3rd March 2010, 13:11
There speaks an engineer.
City of Liverpool - Derricks - 1980.
I dont think so - she had cranes.
Lovely ship - I was 3rd Mate on her in 1978/9.

thedon59
4th March 2010, 17:07

Dancer?

And my mind is surely playing tricks on me. I thought she had cranes on the Fwd hatches but had Derricks just Fwd of the accomodation. Too many beers during that period for me I fear.

scorcher
7th March 2010, 23:41
There was a ship called "City of London" which was owned by the Brussels S.S. Co. on the London/Brussels trade. She was built in 1927 and sold in 1962 so she was sailing at the same time as the Ellerman ship of the same name built in 1947.
I thought that there couldn't be two ships with the same name on the British register at the same time.
Trader.

I remember her well on the Thames in the 50's. Here is a photo (not good alas) from Ian Allan's 1954 publication 'Coastal Ships'

taxi-man
8th March 2010, 15:45
Actually, thedon59 is correct, the Liverpool's derricks do feature in the EDH handbook. The Liverpool and her sisters had a pair of Speedcrane derricks serving hatches 3 & 4. I seem to remember that they were a variation on the Hallen derrick system. I dont think they actually caught on, and the firm went bust. I sailed on the London as cadet, and the Liverpool as third mate, aahh, happy days, cheers Evan.

TIM HUDSON
8th March 2010, 16:51
Looks like Thompson derricks to me on Robert J Smiths picture above.

JoeQ
10th March 2010, 16:15
This was also my last ship with Ellermans June 4th 1973.
The only deep sea trip (May5th-Sept 9th 1972) Port of call. London-Durban-Muscat-Abadan-Khorramshar-Basrah-Kuwait-Bahrain-Doha-Singapore-Rejang-Hong Kong-Yokahama-Kobe-Shimizu-Balboa(Panama)-London. Capt John Owen.C/Stwd Joe Cashmore,and for the life of me can't remember the rest of the crew,anyone know?
regards Malcolm Bennington

c/o Tim Seaman
1/0 jerry Walsh (?) + wife
2/0 Don McPhearson
Cadet Stewart Jacklin
Cadet Joe Q
C/E ?
2/E (?) Albosom (?)
3/E ?
4/E Stewart McLellen
J/E
Cadet Northen Irish lad + a geordie

JOHN E
29th March 2010, 19:05
Hi ya there, I sailed as Junior Engineer on the City of Columbo - it was about 1974/75 time - I remember having Christmas day Lunch in Durban harbour - but my memory of the City of London was -

We were due to go home to the UK via Germany; when we received orders the City of London was going to transfer some cargo onto our ship (City of Columbo) which had to return to the Gulf for a short trip with the cargo.

When the City of London was alongside discharging cargo onto our ship the 4th Engineer and a certain accomplice managed to tape together 2 brush shanks with a paintbrush on the end of it. We then painted (by opening the engine room gunport doors) a 'swastika sign' on the side of the hull of the City of London - aye it cost us a barrel of beer that did!

happy memories

aye
john

Les Hughes
31st March 2010, 18:32
I never sailed on any of them but if I remeember correctly two had Sulzer Engines and one had a Doxford. (or was it the other way round) I remember as a phase 3 cadet going to Doxfords Engine works to see an engine on test.

thedon59
2nd April 2010, 17:19
I never sailed on any of them but if I remeember correctly two had Sulzer Engines and one had a Doxford. (or was it the other way round) I remember as a phase 3 cadet going to Doxfords Engine works to see an engine on test.

The Liverpool had a Doxford. I am pretty sure the other two had Sulzers.

simonpjd
8th June 2010, 16:32
Blimey I will have to try and find a picture. I can only recall cranes. But it is a long time ago. I was excited as she was trhe first time I had sailed with cranes. Before I did my ticket the newest ship I had been on was built in 1960 (City of Worcester). And I was the only one in the class who had sailed with wood/canvas hatches and had used a side streaming log.

taxi-man
8th June 2010, 19:38
Aaahh, the joys of rigging a side streaming log!!!!!, and many a happy hour making new hatch boards with the chippy. I seem to remember being told by the chippy that when that class was built no. 2 hatch was too big for Mcgregor hatch covers, hence the wood and canvas. cheers, Evan.

Mowgli
6th August 2010, 23:37
Both the Liverpool and Hull were built in the Caledon Yard, Dundee. I served half my apprenticeship on them. Shame I never had the chance to sail on them when I evetually joined Ellerman.

john49er
18th January 2011, 08:16
The other way around the Liverpool and Hull had 7J Doxfords and the London had an 6RND90 Sulzer.

In answer to another question they may not have had derricks as such but they did have what was called a speed crane which was a heavy lift of sorts it serviced #4 hatch I think.??

John Brown

seafoods
23rd March 2011, 21:02
I joined the London as a first trip engine cadet on 7/7/77 in Liverpool, fine ship and a great trip. Was on the 8 - 12 watch with fourth engineer Richie Greenwood, we used to shove the revs up through the night and pull her back at ten to midnight before the third came on watch. Used to 'flog the log' and work out what the rev counter should be for the correct revs. The third was always in trouble for bunging the revs up on his watch, which he always denied - ages before he cottoned on!

Jennytot
16th January 2012, 23:11
i really hope you get this message. I saw one of your comments about your last sail in 1973 and the captain was John Owen. I think that,s my grandfather he was captain at that time on ellerman lines.x

Jennytot
17th January 2012, 21:57
I asked my grandpa and he said he did that voyage(Captain John Owen) it would be good to speak to you

JoeQ
19th January 2012, 13:27
I asked my grandpa and he said he did that voyage(Captain John Owen) it would be good to speak to you

Are you refering to the round the world voyage on the City of Liverpool in 1972?

I was a cadet on that voyage the captain was John Owen

David T MacDonald
21st February 2012, 14:12
I joined City Of London on July 4 1973 in Hull as first trip cadet. First sight I had was Tim Seaman standing at the gangway. The captain may have been Owen but not sure. Captain Ramsden joined in London for the trip to South Africa.

David MacDonald

sha
17th June 2012, 15:14
remember the crane ward-leonards sets well , on the londons second last trip in the company about 1980, it was found in liverpool the day before sailing to east africa, that all four foredeck verticle standing slew motors had filled up to the comms with rain water from the previous trip when one lifeboat had carried away in a hurricain off maritus ,we had to stip out all armatures and brake gear to put ashore for baking at port said ,second leckie was put on nights to dry out the field coils and poles in the galley oven , working long days on scaffold boards on the crane jib for access , ship delayed three days before going thru canal , the windlass and other control gear never really recovered from the effects the whole trip , the rain water had entered thu the contol panels on the crane sides and down into all motors via cable conduits . made for another memorable trip

Hi donnie, i was the second leckie u mentioned and it was a hell of a trip cos we didn't get paid for all the extra overtime we worked.

TIM HUDSON
17th June 2012, 16:02

Apology to engineers called for I think from a not very observant deckie ??? Clearly derricks can be seen on the picture earlier in this thread from Bob S. Whoops !

alan ward
25th June 2012, 12:39
I remember the London being in Southampton when I was there on the Chrysantema.Some joker had blocked out the letters on the illuminated name box on the upperworks so it read City of ondo,had me scratching my head until I saw her in daylight

John Gurton
29th June 2012, 14:36
[QUOTE=David T MacDonald;577759]I joined City Of London on July 4 1973 in Hull as first trip cadet. First sight I had was Tim Seaman standing at the gangway. The captain may have been Owen but not sure. Captain Ramsden joined in London for the trip to South Africa.

David MacDonald[/QUOTE

I was 3/0 when you joined, just coasting. Paid off in London, I do recall we had a fair few parties in Hull and Newcastle. Must have been quite an eyeopener ! 2/0 was Dave Birley and the OM was Owen.

David T MacDonald
25th July 2012, 13:54
[QUOTE=David T MacDonald;577759]I joined City Of London on July 4 1973 in Hull as first trip cadet. First sight I had was Tim Seaman standing at the gangway. The captain may have been Owen but not sure. Captain Ramsden joined in London for the trip to South Africa.

David MacDonald[/QUOTE

I was 3/0 when you joined, just coasting. Paid off in London, I do recall we had a fair few parties in Hull and Newcastle. Must have been quite an eyeopener ! 2/0 was Dave Birley and the OM was Owen.

I suppose you could call it an eye opener, I had a great time. As I recall we had parties in every port. Captain Owen was a real gent, you all did your best to wind me up about the dreaded Capt Ramsden joining for deep sea, he must have mellowed no problems.

JMD48
9th August 2012, 13:18
The three vessels of this class were built in the early 1970s and were long after the earlier 12s (12) passenger class of ship with similar names. I served as second mate on both the City of London & City of Hull in 1974/75.
Masters were Ken James & Aston Ramsden (London) & Brian Torrence (Hull)
I was mate on the City of Liverpool in 1979/80 during the final days of Ellerman lines. Actually made redundant after leaving the vessel, when I think only four vessels left in the Ellerman Lines fleet.
City of London Off No. 341138
City of Hull 341344
City of Liverpool 339336

The vessels were kitted out with Clarke Chapman cranes and "Speedcrane" swinging heavy(ish) derricks.

stan carter
9th August 2012, 14:41
scorcher, thanks for the photo, was on her in 1958. enjoyed the weekly trips to brussels. unfortunatly all good things come to an end.

A.D.FROST
9th August 2012, 14:47
scorcher, thanks for the photo, was on her in 1958. enjoyed the weekly trips to brussels. unfortunatly all good things come to an end.

This one I'll have the Ellerman boy's baffeled(Jester)

Richard C
27th September 2012, 15:20
i really hope you get this message. I saw one of your comments about your last sail in 1973 and the captain was John Owen. I think that,s my grandfather he was captain at that time on ellerman lines.x

Hi Jennytot,Just a longshot but if your grandfathers middle initial is `I` and he was born in Barcelona, then I sailed with him on the City of Philadelphia, Birkenhead to the Cape and back in 1965 when he was Mate

Richard

charding
1st October 2012, 21:24
I sailed on the City of London as an apprentice in the early '70s. As I recall there was a bit of a stink when the new stereo speakers were installed in the bar and the 'audio expert' decided that the arm of one of the bronze statues (Gog or Magog, I forget which mythical London based god it was) was in the way of the best site for a speaker. Suffering from a little tunnel vision he popped down the engine room for a hack saw and amputated the arm. This allowed the speaker to be positioned in the optimum place. Maybe this is what happened to the Venus de Milo.

taxi-man
2nd October 2012, 13:24
OMG, I was on the London coasting in 1974, can't remember who the old man was, but the mate was Robin Meikle, soon to be fleet training officer, anyway, I remember the statues well, and also remember being told that they were worth an absolute fortune, and that when the ship was sold on or scrapped, that the statues were to be taken back to the UK to the office by the old man. I often wondered whatever happened to them.

XFullFatTim
2nd October 2012, 16:51
I was a deck cadet on City of Hull in 1976 - we spent 6 months anchored off Bahrain having spent 2 months in Govan Drydock having the entire waterline around the ship cropped out and replaced after she had become beset in the St Lawerence Seaway the previous winter. Lovely ships but hopelessly inefficient cargo carriers!

Scelerat
4th October 2012, 12:48
[QUOTE=John Gurton;604663]

I suppose you could call it an eye opener, I had a great time. As I recall we had parties in every port. Captain Owen was a real gent, you all did your best to wind me up about the dreaded Capt Ramsden joining for deep sea, he must have mellowed no problems.

Curious that you call him the "dreaded"; he was Master on my first trip as cadet on the Auckland, and he seemed a very pleasant bloke, to me, if remote, being of God-like status compared to a cadet.

eddiecurrents
25th October 2012, 04:15
Dancer?

And my mind is surely playing tricks on me. I thought she had cranes on the Fwd hatches but had Derricks just Fwd of the accomodation. Too many beers during that period for me I fear.

Correct she had heavy lift derricks fwd of the accomodation deck