BP Supervisor - were there 2 of them?

zelo1954
28th January 2006, 08:03
Folks:
Another mystery which those with access to the proper info should be able to answer pretty readily I'd have thought.

I have a photo of a BP SUPERVISOR which looks something like an 'Empire Cadet' type but with detail differences, especially in the superstructure - which is of course all aft.

However there was an 'Empire Ted' type - EMPIRE TEDBURGH - built in 1946 which became DOVEDALE H of Harkers, then in 1953 is listed as sold to Shell Mex & BP and renamed BP SUPERVISOR, sailing for them until 1966. I have a photo of her as DOVEDALE H and is clearly a typical 'Empire Ted' type.

John_F
28th January 2006, 11:49
Zelo,
She was launched as Empire Tedburgh on 4.2.1946 by Short Bros Ltd. of Sunderland for the Ministry of War Transport (Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co. Ltd., managers). She was completed in July 1946 for the re-styled Ministry of Transport & was immediately sold on to J.Harker (Coasters) Ltd., Knottingley, & renamed Dovedale H. In 1953 she was sold to Shell Mex & BP & renamed BP Supervisor. In 1966 she was sold again to Antonia Shipping Co. Ltd., & renamed Rainbow. In 1967 she was sold again to Ionian Tank Shipping S.A. (G. Kalogeratos & Co., managers) Greece. On 6.11.1977 she caught fire & sank in Eleusis Bay, Greece. Subsequently declared a constructive total loss, sold, raised & in September 1978 she was demolished in Piraeus.
Picture of her as BP Supervisor attached.
All details from BP Tankers: A Group Fleet History. (Harvey & Solly)
The photo is from the book & credited to the World Ship Society.
Kind regards,
John F

zelo1954
28th January 2006, 11:59
Zelo,Picture of her as BP Supervisor attached.
John F

Yes but this is what I can't understand. Empite TED ships were sturdy, bluff, bridge amidships tankers. The picture I have of Dovedale H (later BP Supervisor) IS a typical TED tanker with bridge amidships. The picute you are showing is the same vessel that I have a photo of, but it isn't a TED type - much more like an Empire Cadet.

John_F
28th January 2006, 12:43
Zelo,
The book is pretty comprehensive & lists every vessel owned by the BP Group. It only lists one Supervisor. Unfortunately, it doesn't say if any major structural changes ever took place to her. Could this have been possible?
The details I have given refer to a vessel of the following dimensions:
860 Gross Tons
392 Net Tons
1073 Deadweight Tons
Measurements: 193.5 ft X 34.2 ft X 14.7 ft
Official Number: 181269.
4 cylinder diesel engine manufactured by British Polar Diesels, Glasgow.
Whilst BP have a habit of using former names (& all these are listed in the book) there is only one entry for BP Supervisor.
Hope this is of some help.
Kind regards,
John F.

zelo1954
29th January 2006, 01:30
Hi again John:
BP Supervisor as originally built (Empire Tedburgh) looked the same as at least 2 others that should be in your BP book (both were steam versions of the same design):

BP Manager. (Ex-Empire Tesland, Fulgur, Shelbrit 9).
British Pluck. (Ex-Empire Tesella).

If the book also includes Shell Mex & BP coastal tankers with Shell names you may also have:

Frenulina (ex-Empire Grosvenor).
Fusinus (Ex-Empite Tedmuir).
Fossarina (ex-Empire Tedassa, later AMITY).
Shell Driller (ex-Empire Tedilla, Forskalia, Danesdale H.).
Forreria (ex-Empire Tedlora, later AUSTILITY).
Shell Director (ex-Empire Tedport, Felipes, Shelbrit 10).
Fusus (ex-Empire Tedrita).
Fischeria (ex-Empire Tedship, later ACUITY).
Fossarina (ex-Empire Tescombe [steam]).
Shell Supplier (ex-Empire Teslin [steam], Fragum, Shelbrit 8).
Fusinus (ex-Empire Tesville [steam]).

Others (better known names only) were: AQUEITY (sunk 1947), ANONITY, ALIGNITY, ARDUITY, RIPPLEDYKE.

The tonnage you gave for BP Supervisor is midway between the typical Empire Cadet (~800 gross), and Empire TED/TES (~900 gross).

SEE ALSO: http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/EmpireT.html for a list of the TEDs and TESes. Note that this page gives the grt of BP Supervisor as 947.

I wonder if you are indeed correct and that the vessel is a TED type which was rebuilt with superstructure aft?? Such a rebuilding would lower the grt I feel.

Whatever, this is a big mystery to me.
Cheers, Geoff

John_F
29th January 2006, 16:18
Hi Geoff,
There is a photo of the BP Manager in the book which clearly shows that she had midships accommodation. She was of 979 gt. Also have photos of Shell Driller, Shell Director, Shell Supplier, Fischeria & Alignity - all with midships accommodation. Mystery deepens. I have a contact in BP & will pass the question over to him to see if he can throw any light on it.
Kind regards,
John.

lagerstedt
11th February 2006, 05:02
I have a little book called "Coastal Ships" By D.Ridley Chesterton (1966).
The book lists British coastal ships greater than 200t. "Shell-Mex & BP Ltd of London lists the "BP Supervisor" as being built in 1946, 860 tons gross, 202ft in length, 34 ft wide, engines aft (motor) and a service speed of 10 knots. Sorry no photo. Shell-Mex & BP also operated the BP Haulier, BP Manager, BP Manufacturer and BP Miller.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
NZ