Icenic

Fairfield
19th July 2004, 22:21
Can/t find ILLYRIC at the moment but found ICENIC instead taken in 1970 outbound from Glasgow.She was Belfast built.
Ron very kindly offered to do his magic on the pic so have reposted his enhanced version.

david smith
20th July 2004, 11:37
3 pictures of Icenic at Nelson, New Zealand

gadgee
28th July 2005, 11:14
My first SS&A ship at 3rd Mate. Joined in Feb 72 at Royal Albert Docks London. We discharged NZ cargo there and also Belfast, Glasgow and Liverpool. Loaded for outward in Liverpool then via Capetown to 4 Oz ports then across to NZ with Oz cargo for Wellington and Auckland. Discharged then loaded usual NZ products - lamb, butter, cheese, wool etc. Sailed 6th July 72 for Durban where we put in with engine trouble, then Tema in Ghana where we discharged tons of milk powder. Arrived in London 22nd Aug 1972.
Remember getting excited that we may go NZ to Ghana via Cape Horn, but the Old Man, Ray Marshall decided we would go via the Cape! (*))

SHANE
4th January 2006, 23:08
alright paul. my name is shane kujawiak, iworked with ocl then p.o nedlloyd, from 1991 to 1999. great life at sea mate, i am now a crane driver.

Tom Carson
31st October 2006, 22:25
This was my first ship as Deck Boy, and it was great, joined August 1973 London.Went down to Kiwi, did about 12 ports (I wont name them all). Then across to Santos, East Africa payed off Southampton. One hell of an eye opener...

N84C
1st November 2006, 00:28
hey tom my dad(malcolm collinson/asst stwd) was on this ship he joined in london 17th aug 1973 and left soton 1st feb 1974. capt R marshall?

John B.
1st November 2006, 02:03
I sailed as supernumerary 3/0 in Icenic in 1970? NZ to UK, was rejoining the main fleet after a period in the Crusader service in CARNATIC.
The ICENIC was a very clean ship, well maintained, Master was Capt.Connolly, a survivor of the WW2 Malta convoys, had a sextant presented to him from the famed tanker OHIO. C/O was Rodger Wooding.

R.Philip Griffin
3rd November 2006, 12:31
I sailed on this ship on it's maiden voyage in Jan. '61 with a brand new Masters Cert. as 2nd Mate. What a work up. Chart Folios to no. and label. Cargo Plan files to commence, but I wouldn't have missed it for quids. Grifmar

Stephen J. Card
6th November 2006, 11:01
I sailed on this ship on it's maiden voyage in Jan. '61 with a brand new Masters Cert. as 2nd Mate. What a work up. Chart Folios to no. and label. Cargo Plan files to commence, but I wouldn't have missed it for quids. Grifmar

Philip,

Yes, she was quite a beautiful ship!

I saw her in Bermuda, I guess sometime in the summer of '61 when she called at the Island on the return leg of her maiden voyage. I took a photo of the ship berthed at No 1 Shed in Hamilton. I was... let's see...about eight years old at the time!!!!!!

Some 16 years later.... in posession of a lowly First Mate FG Certificate I had the nerve to apply to Shaw Savill for a job. I had already sailed as 2/0 for two years with Denholms when I joined ICENIC in Sheerness. The Mate on board at the time Miles Eden-Smith was shocked that Head Office had sent a brand new second mate to the ship... with only a Mate's ticket!

We went round to Avonmouth, laid up for a few weeks then loaded general for NZ ports. Freddi Boize was Master, Graham Clay was deep sea mate. Paul Foulds was 3/O. Anyhow we went round the coast and last port was Auckland. I banged my knee while ashore... fractured knee cap... and had to be paid off. Once at home I was advised by Head Office that as I had no completed six months in the company I was not entitled to sick leave and that as soon as I was fit I was to rejoin the ship in the Med and then do another voyage out to NZ. Well, I had a long think about it and decided to go back to Denholms.... back on my 'old ship'... the two year old 24 knot reefer LOCH LOMOND. More pay too! Back on the LOMOND a month later I was promoted to C/O.

I had but just a brief taste of working on a traditional cargo liner with one of the old firms. As much as I enjoyed the experience, Denholms was the way to go for promotion etc etc.

Send me an e-mail and I'll send a scan of the ICENIC snap I took in 1961.

Stephen

prinsendam@hotmail.com

R.Philip Griffin
6th November 2006, 12:04
Stephen, Many thanks for the reminder of Bermuda. Is that the Bermuda flag with your name? I can't remember the Captain's name, Frank Charnley, I think, but I do remember the cargo we took there. Good NZ green lobster tails and beef tenderloins [fillets] and all frozen; about 250 ton all up, and Bermuda was on the way to UK without too much of a detour. The head lines were run across the main road and then hardened up, all traffic stopped but 25 mph was the top speed limit, so not too much was lost on journeys. We had many tourists who made enquiries as to whether they could book a cabin, and just didn't believe we were not a passenger ship!!! Thank you for the memory jolt. Grifmar

theaskew
15th August 2007, 15:25
Joined the Icenic March 1966 in Hull.remember she was a clean
ship,good crew.good trip all round.
Regards Artie

sailor63
15th August 2007, 17:16
Hi all, did 2 trips as deck boy on the lovely iCENIC, aussie-kiwi in 63+64, first taste of suez, red sea, Indian ocean, australian sunshine, and Kiwi girls legendary hospitality, so to speak, lol. What more could a spotty sixteen year old ask for?(not to mention COLD BEER!) wouldnt have missed it for the world. cheers, Colin.K. ( sailor63).

clancy
21st November 2008, 10:24
on her 1965 july till march 1966 asE.D.H with billy murdoch kenny (twinkle) lewis duncan montgomery great times for a 18 year old[=P] cheers clancy

BobGrif
25th April 2013, 23:44

Hi Phil if you are there ... Bob Griffin (Cadet!!)

jake4246
30th April 2013, 17:29
I Did Two Trips On Her From17oct1962 Till7th May 1963 As A Edh Lovely Ship And Crew.

BobGrif
30th April 2013, 22:05
Hi Jake,

Yes, she was a nice, and very comfortable ship of the 'old style' (with hindsight) and with an excellent crew all round. The end of an era I regret to say, but it's a fact. I can't quite recall now but I joined her in Jan '62 (Voy 2), and left a year later to go to the 'Gothic' for 2 years.

Cheers, Bob.

John.H.Clark
5th May 2013, 17:08
I sailed as supernumerary 3/0 in Icenic in 1970? NZ to UK, was rejoining the main fleet after a period in the Crusader service in CARNATIC.
The ICENIC was a very clean ship, well maintained, Master was Capt.Connolly, a survivor of the WW2 Malta convoys, had a sextant presented to him from the famed tanker OHIO. C/O was Rodger Wooding.
I was in touch with Roger Wooding last week as two other old shipmates came here for lunch last weekend. He is retired in Oz
John Clark ( Voyages 1& 2 with Wooding on Illyric )

BobGrif
5th May 2013, 23:45
On Voy 2 Brian Agnew was a Supernumerary!! The Master was Frank Charnley on his last trip (+wife), with Dave Johnston as Ch Mate .. followed by my namesake as 2/O!!

Don't recall Frank Charnley said much to me other than 'eh Cadet', or what does 'Miraflores' mean as we went through the first Pacific lock on the Panama Canal!! (It's amusing how some things stick in your mind after all these years!!). Thanks to Phil G (pull up a bollard and have a sherbert) for getting us there and back home!!

Thereafter, Voy 3, Master was John Stobbs RD (excellent man although many differ) (Applause). and then I was off to 'Gothic' and became a 'passenger ship man' :rolleyes:.

ferrandou
6th May 2013, 23:18
On Voy 2 Brian Agnew was a Supernumerary!! The Master was Frank Charnley on his last trip (+wife), with Dave Johnston as Ch Mate .. followed by my namesake as 2/O!!

Don't recall Frank Charnley said much to me other than 'eh Cadet', or what does 'Miraflores' mean as we went through the first Pacific lock on the Panama Canal!! (It's amusing how some things stick in your mind after all these years!!). Thanks to Phil G (pull up a bollard and have a sherbert) for getting us there and back home!!

Thereafter, Voy 3, Master was John Stobbs RD (excellent man although many differ) (Applause). and then I was off to 'Gothic' and became a 'passenger ship man' :rolleyes:.

Originally Posted by BobGrif View Post
Sorry to correct you (just seen the later reply!!). Brian Agnew (a good friend of mine and contemporary) was the Master of 'Gothic' on that fateful voyage when the fire broke out. He is well (and still working!!), and living in the UK.
I am glad to hear that. If you meet him please give him my regards and many thanks, just tell him it is from one of the Lyttleton 3. I often think of him and the work he put in on that voyage.

I thank you in advance.