605 million

Semaj
1st February 2006, 23:11
When I took this picture on Saturday 28th Jan. I was surprised the shipyard looked so clean I was also annoyed the walkway on my side was blocked and this was the only angle I could get. I liked the reflections so took the picture anyway. Little did I know it was a Warship worth about 605 million and launched today, however it explains a lot about my earlier annoyances? Click here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4667132.stm)

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/6264/d322hk.th.jpg (http://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=d322hk.jpg)

benjidog
1st February 2006, 23:22
Given the overall length is 150 metres, that works out at about 4million per metre - incredible!

Brian

Gulpers
2nd February 2006, 00:31
Sky News reported that Lt Cdr Dean Woodruff was the only crew member - no wonder she is so expensive with all that automated kit on board!

Hmm, maybe the RN will appoint more crew at a later date! (?HUH)

R58484956
2nd February 2006, 10:42
She (HMS Daring) will have 190 crew with room for 235. 7350 tons, 27 knots. Two advanced turbine engines. Merlin chopper. 5 more to follow Dauntless,Dragon, Duncan,Defender,Diamond.

Mad Landsman
2nd February 2006, 20:24
The bow sections (and main masts I think) are being build on the South coast and then floated up to the Clyde. So part of it had already been launched in effect.

Lt Cdr Woodruff told Tv news that each member of crew would have 40% more space as a result of the new 'cabin' arrangements. Presumably that is where the difference between the two complement figures comes in.

Pat McCardle
2nd February 2006, 22:36
The bow sections (and main masts I think) are being build on the South coast and then floated up to the Clyde. So part of it had already been launched in effect.

Lt Cdr Woodruff told Tv news that each member of crew would have 40% more space as a result of the new 'cabin' arrangements. Presumably that is where the difference between the two complement figures comes in.

Well it sounds as if there's only Baccy left in the RN since they have done away with the Rum & Bum!! (Thumb) Think about it?

Subman
10th February 2006, 16:24
Look What Slipped Out She's A Big Girl And Not Even Finished Yet.

R58484956
10th February 2006, 16:31
Bows built in Gosport by Vosper Thorneycroft.

fred henderson
10th February 2006, 17:06
Bows built in Gosport by Vosper Thorneycroft.

They call themselves VT Shipbuilding now, part of VT Group plc. The historic names have been abandoned.

Fred

fred henderson
12th February 2006, 21:04
If you go to Piero's thread of Andrea Doria in Other International Navies, you can see what RN could have bought, if the MoD had not decided that Horizon contract negociations were taking too long and they could not wait any longer. So we went our own way. Despite a head start, Daring seems to be about a year behind Andrea Doria.
The RN will receive at least six and hopefully eight Darings if the price is right. If BAE had invested some serious money in their Clyde shipyards, Daring would now be nearing completion at a significantly lower cost.

Rant over.

Fred (Night)

Hawkeye
27th September 2006, 23:59
Hi
The mast was also built at Gosport
Regards
Karl

Lindsay Bremner
1st November 2006, 18:12
If you go to Piero's thread of Andrea Doria in Other International Navies, you can see what RN could have bought, if the MoD had not decided that Horizon contract negociations were taking too long and they could not wait any longer. So we went our own way. Despite a head start, Daring seems to be about a year behind Andrea Doria.
The RN will receive at least six and hopefully eight Darings if the price is right. If BAE had invested some serious money in their Clyde shipyards, Daring would now be nearing completion at a significantly lower cost.

Rant over.

Fred (Night)

A report in The Times recently stated there was a battle going on between the MOD and the Treasury over the future of some key procurement programmes. The Times article says the treasury has demanded the MOD cut 1 major project plus the order for the 2 type 45 destroyers.

Report taken from November/December edition of Warship World Magazine.

PollY Anna
2nd November 2006, 12:52
I woudn't be suprised if this Goverment doesn't even build more than 4!!!!!

Lindsay Bremner
2nd November 2006, 12:58
I woudn't be suprised if this Goverment doesn't even build more than 4!!!!!

According to the report I read in the magazine it says, and I quote
There are rumours in several circles that the MOD is looking at what penalties would be incurred if Duncan (hull 6) was cancelled leaving a potential class of 5 ships.