Clyde wreck

wakaman
2nd February 2006, 10:04
Lying in the Clyde,between Greenock and Helensburgh,there is a capsized
vessel,I was told it was a ''sugar'' ship.
Does anyone have more information.
Name?
Company?
When sunk?
Reason for sinking?
Why not removed?

Gulpers
2nd February 2006, 10:10
wakaman,

She is the Greek cargo vessel CAPTAYANNIS which sank on the evening of 27th January 1974

Have a look on Google Earth. The area is mapped in high definition and the wreck is clearly visible.

Go to this url for the full story. (Thumb)

Ray

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/articles/captayannis.asp

P.S. I should have mentioned that our own "Fairfield" contributed to the article shown in the url. (Applause)

Hendo!
2nd February 2006, 18:18
And she has her own thread here => http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=2464

Gulpers
2nd February 2006, 20:27
And she has her own thread here => http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=2464
Oops Hendo - thanks for that, I missed that thread. (Thumb)

Hendo!
2nd February 2006, 20:59
wakaman,

She is the Greek cargo vessel CAPTAYANNIS which sank on the evening of 27th January 1974

Have a look on Google Earth. The area is mapped in high definition and the wreck is clearly visible.

Go to this url for the full story. (Thumb)

Ray

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/articles/captayannis.asp

P.S. I should have mentioned that our own "Fairfield" contributed to the article shown in the url. (Applause)

Good link yersel fella, and good article Fairfield, first time I've seen a picture of her before she went over, and first time I've seen close ups of her as she is now.

Jeffers
2nd February 2006, 21:38
I've just had a look on Google earth....she looks very sad there.
Location is 55 58'33 N, 4 44'30 W.

Jeffers
2nd February 2006, 22:00
It got me thinking, I wonder how many other wrecks are visible on Google Earth?

One other that I've found is the remains of the SS America, off Fuerteventura. She can be seen at 28 20'46 N, 14 10'50 W.

BTW, if anybody hasn't tried Google Earth, it's great fun, I've had hours of entertainment "flying" around the world, looking stuff up. The picture definition varies quite a bit, but high resolution pictures are there for lots of places.
I was looking at the Panama Canal earlier this evening, and ships are visible in the locks.

wakaman
3rd February 2006, 04:51
To all you guys who answered my query,thanks,I stayed in Helensburgh
5 yrs ago,for 3 weeks,all my hosts could tell me,was ,it was ''the sugar ship''.
The website was excellent.

Cheers Wakaman (Applause)

Gulpers
3rd February 2006, 10:08
Wakaman,

Glad to help. Good reading, wasn't it! (Thumb)

frances.donnachie
2nd March 2007, 23:04
elcapestranos loaded with raw sugar draged her ancor stuck an oil tanker then driffted onto the sanbank and listed to where she still is what a bad night that was it must of happend early that morning as i saw it about six o,clock am going to mywork e.n.t.hospital greenock.

Gulpers
3rd March 2007, 00:43
elcapestranos loaded with raw sugar draged her ancor stuck an oil tanker then driffted onto the sanbank and listed to where she still is what a bad night that was it must of happend early that morning as i saw it about six o,clock am going to mywork e.n.t.hospital greenock.

Frances,

When was the old E.N.T. (Ear, Nose and Throat) hospital demolished?

frances.donnachie
3rd March 2007, 12:53
e.n.t.i think was demolished in about the late 1980 iam not shure.

frances.donnachie
4th March 2007, 20:59
Frances,

When was the old E.N.T. (Ear, Nose and Throat) hospital demolished?
iam almost certain it was about 1978-79 it is now shelter houseing i worked in it in 1977 my name is sandy my email adress startes with frances.

Gulpers
4th March 2007, 21:49
iam almost certain it was about 1978-79 it is now shelter houseing i worked in it in 1977 my name is sandy my email adress startes with frances.

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for that.
My parents used to know the Matron in the ENT - I can't recall her surname now but her christian name was Margaret.
Oddly enough, my mother now lives along the road from the old ENT - on the Esplanade opposite the Eldon Street entrance to the Bagatelle. (Thumb)

Rennie Cameron
5th March 2007, 07:15
Guys I go with the earfly 80's. I left mid 1977 and was dowm regularly until 1981 - it seems after that as I dont remember it coming down. More to the point whats going to happen to the "Crystal Palace"....all locked up and looking sad!

Gulpers
6th March 2007, 05:39
Guys I go with the earfly 80's. I left mid 1977 and was dowm regularly until 1981 - it seems after that as I dont remember it coming down. More to the point whats going to happen to the "Crystal Palace"....all locked up and looking sad!

Thanks for that Rennie. I'm pretty sure you are right.

Crystal Palace indeed - that's certainly another name from the past to conjure with - where do folks "go" nowadays?
Every time I visit the area there are significant changes, particularly along the waterfront! (EEK)

Scottseng
8th March 2007, 00:56
The matron in the E.N.T.in Greenock was named Miss Slack.

Gulpers
8th March 2007, 21:44
Scottseng,

It's amazing how names come back to you "out of the blue!"

Miss Slack doesn't ring a bell but the surname I'd forgotten was
MacKay ........... Margaret MacKay ............. I think! (?HUH)

frances.donnachie
9th March 2007, 21:35
hi ray could tell me did you work in the e.n.t if you did what was it you done sandy.

Gulpers
9th March 2007, 21:39
Sandy,

No mate, never worked there although I was treated a couple of times as a kid.
It just struck me when I read your mention of the E.N.T. that I didn't remember it being demolished. Must have been away at sea when it happened! (Thumb)

sailor63
14th March 2007, 22:15
hi Jeff, if you want an even better one try this http://maps.live.com/ its superior to google and offers a bonus of "Birds Eye " view onf a lot of places, which amounts to an almost roof top photograph. try the royal Docks, its brilliant. Cheers, Colin Knight.

Rennie Cameron
16th March 2007, 07:59
Hey Gulpers....Aldo's is still there! But the cafe opposite "WEst REnfrew Garage" is some sort of shop I recall...where do we all meet right enough??

Pioneer
2nd May 2007, 20:57
Dunno bout the greenokians but hasnt the wreck acheived the nick name of the hull thats wat its called here on Bute

eef
9th May 2007, 20:35
Hallo,in the end of the 60 a bucket dredger name Chesnock? sunk in the Clyde near Greenock. Tak salvage (now Smit) take the buckets out first and lifted de wreck by puping air and a sheerleg named Arend, also whe pump some "pinpongballs" in the dredger , have somebody pictures of this dredger?
Thank you
Eef

Rennie Cameron
10th May 2007, 07:36
Eef, I screwed up my first reply. I vaguely recall the incident.I was deep sea at the time but I think it was in the Channel just off Princes Pier during the night, in a storm, and two lost. I do not rememebr the salvage. I suggest you email the Greenock Telegraph. It has a web site. This would be the only source I could think of unless some members have such pix in their archives. The success you will have with them I am unsure, as it no longer the newspaper it was! The fellow former Greenockians will also recall.

Gulpers
10th May 2007, 07:55
Hallo,in the end of the 60 a bucket dredger name Chesnock? sunk in the Clyde near Greenock. Tak salvage (now Smit) take the buckets out first and lifted de wreck by puping air and a sheerleg named Arend, also whe pump some "pinpongballs" in the dredger , have somebody pictures of this dredger?
Thank you
Eef

Eef,

If I remember correctly, this incident was in 1968 and the vessel involved was the bucket dredger CESSNOCK. As Rennie said in the previous message, the ship capsized off Princes Pier, Greenock and there were certainly a couple of fatalities.

Greenock Telegraph (local newspaper) is one avenue to explore but I would suggest you PM Fairfield - what he doesn't know about Clydeside shipping isn't worth bothering about! (==D)

Gulpers
10th May 2007, 08:21
Eef,

If I remember correctly, this incident was in 1968 and the vessel involved was the bucket dredger CESSNOCK. As Rennie said in the previous message, the ship capsized off Princes Pier, Greenock and there were certainly a couple of fatalities.

Greenock Telegraph (local newspaper) is one avenue to explore but I would suggest you PM Fairfield - what he doesn't know about Clydeside shipping isn't worth bothering about! (==D)

I've found the date of the storm but nothing specifically about CESSNOCK yet!

Following from rampantscotland.com (http://www.rampantscotland.com/timeline/2000.htm)

"January 15 1968
Hurricane winds of over 100mph hit Glasgow and the west of Scotland, damaging 250,000 homes, 1,700 homeless and 20 people killed."

eef
10th May 2007, 09:02
Hallo Rennie and Gulpers,
thanks for the info,i remember only one fatality and it was the engeneer
how i contact Fairfiels for more information?
thanks again .
greetings
Eef