Iberic

david smith
20th July 2004, 16:30
A rare view of the Shaw Savill "I" class Iberic at Felixstowe on P&O charter with equipment for the new container berths. Built 1961 11,248gt. Became the Deseado for Royal Mail

waiwera
25th October 2005, 18:59
Interesting to see the house flag on the Starboard Yard of the foremast. Maybe tjis was because they had to fly the P&O Cahreters flag too?
Sailed on this ship during my cadetship - in the days when on the Aussie & Kiwi Coast there was quite a "din" at 0800 with 8 bells rung on the forecastle whilst Ensign was raised and courtesy flag, stem flag and houseflag were all broken out simultaneously.
In those dim and distant days there used to be enough cadets to perform this function on all SSA ships plus of course NZS, Federal, Port Line, Blue Star plus the odd Blue Flue!
However the House Flag was always flown from the Main Mast on Iberic. I thought only Brockebanks ships were allowed to fly the House Flag from the Foremast??

david smith
25th October 2005, 20:04
I also had to be part of the same ritual - and the Second Mate was in charge - however later on older ships this rigmerole was abandoned. Trying to execute this act with a hangover was difficult, a spell in a refrigerated locker soon sorted out the head!

terence
28th December 2005, 00:17
sure i did short trip from liverpool 2 bellfast 1961 some 1 will put me right or wrong tell

john,mboyle
31st May 2006, 21:11
I sailed on her for 18 months from March 1970 till Sept 1971 on the Aussie Kiwi run also did a double header to the East coast of the States and Canada.Great experiance.

Jim Yates
31st May 2006, 23:01
I am sure someone will tell me different.
But I am sure I did the maiden voyage on this ship.
Run Job 22/23 March 1962 Victoria Docks to Avonmouth.
28th March 62 to 11th July 62 Captain Smith
Do remember it was not one of my best trips.
I was at that time Jim Pigg assistant Steward.

John B.
1st June 2006, 02:14
Waiwera, note your comment about House flags etc, yes it was a great sound at 0800 when all the "home boats" in port rang 8 bells and broke out the flags, in my day, the 4/0 watched the chronometer, then blew his whistle precisely at 0800 for the cadets to breakout the house flags and hoist the ensign, often we would notice some ship was late and her bell would still be ringing when others had finished - presumably a timing problem!
With regard to the above photo of IBERIC and the H/Flag on starboard yard arm, it correctly should be flown from mainmast, but with the "I" class ships the H/Flag would always get caught up in the poor halyard arrangement at the mainmast truck and end up getting ripped, so eventually the H/flag was flown on the foremast yardarm, portyard when abroad with courtesy ensign on starboard yard. This photo shows ship in UK and "Owners flag" with precedence over "Charteres" flag.
Incidently I stood by IBERIC as C/O before she was renamed DESEADO and put on the RML service, I think in 1976.

Brgds John B.

Aristo
17th June 2006, 14:23
Did those ships of the "I" class had any passenger accommodations?

gadgee
18th June 2006, 18:19
Hi Aristo
I was 3/0 on Icenic for 6 months in 1972 and can confirm that there was no passenger accommodation.

Did those ships of the "I" class had any passenger accommodations?

Aristo
19th June 2006, 10:35
Thanks gadgee, they did had quite a large superstructure, that's why I suspected that they might carried some passengers.

atomsmasher
18th May 2007, 18:04
i was on the iberic tommy martin deck hand

atomsmasher
18th May 2007, 18:10
I sailed on her for 18 months from March 1970 till Sept 1971 on the Aussie Kiwi run also did a double header to the East coast of the States and Canada.Great experiance. you may remember me tommy martin deck hand i sailed on her from jan 71to jan73 from liverpool

James_C
18th May 2007, 18:17
Just caught up with this thread. Interesting that the Iberic was at Felixstowe delivering Container crane bits.
A supreme piece of irony there, with old handing over the new.

Baulkham Hills
14th July 2008, 13:26
I sailed on the Iberic for 6 months in 1969, UK Kiwi then Mexico, east coast US and Montreal then back to the UK.
Capt. Gunning was master, 3 leckies 3 reefer engineers, numerous junior engineers and a 4th mate, 2 bars, largest crew I ever sailed I think it was about 60 all told.
In BA many years later, I went onboard her, she was then the Deseado of Royal Mail, even in 1969, containers were seen as a death knell for these fine cargo ships.

Ian Wilkinson
29th November 2012, 14:10
I sailed on her for 18 months from March 1970 till Sept 1971 on the Aussie Kiwi run also did a double header to the East coast of the States and Canada.Great experiance.

Hi John,
I was 3rd Eng on that trip. I'm sure that I have a picture of you and me
standing down below on the bottom plates. I'll try to dig it out and maybe put it on line.
Best regards
Ian Wilkinson (Wilkie)

barry john macauley
30th November 2012, 14:27
Hullo Wilkie; I also had experience of the Iberic, standing by during May 1970 as 1st.Leckie, with a coastal from London to Liverpool between 22May and 29May. The main reason for my response though is that I sailed with you on the Mightiest A Boat of them all"Aramaic. Many memories but one that sticks out is a particularly boozy Christmas in Mt. Maunganuii. You played a mean guitar and we thought we could sing.Have already made contact with Mike Earp (NZ) and Graham Barret(Aus.) from those heady times.Would like to know what transpired with the rest of the mob(Alfie Croston/Neville Thomas et al.
All of the best Wilkie.
Barry(Mac) Macauley.

andrewcarol.c
1st December 2012, 08:13
Hi Ian & Mac,
Best wishes to you both.
Seem to remember that Aramaic trip rather well.
Mac won the "Blue Max" on the Kiwi coast.

Bert (2Eng) & Carol Campbell

Ian Wilkinson
1st December 2012, 09:56
Hi Ian & Mac,
Best wishes to you both.
Seem to remember that Aramaic trip rather well.
Mac won the "Blue Max" on the Kiwi coast.

Bert (2Eng) & Carol Campbell

Hi Bert and Carol.
Good to hear from you again. The 'Christmas in Kiwi' was quite an unforgettable trip.
Really good crowd of lads. Going to sea is not and will never again be such a great way of life. Wonder how many people understand BJ Mac's 'Blue Max' title ?? We are a very fortunate age group. '!!!

rodwilkins
3rd December 2012, 12:27
Unbelievable, lost your E-mail address wheelkey (wilkie) after making contact 2/3 years ago. Found this site recently and when checking it today here you are. Love to catch up personally. Best trip I did was as 2nd leckie on Iberic with you, many many happy memories, particularly those two sisters in Perth!!!!

Rod

Mick Spear
3rd December 2012, 15:19

Now that's what i call seafaring/a trip to sea. Bet you had some fun!
Mick S

Ian Wilkinson
4th December 2012, 10:24
Hullo Wilkie; I also had experience of the Iberic, standing by during May 1970 as 1st.Leckie, with a coastal from London to Liverpool between 22May and 29May. The main reason for my response though is that I sailed with you on the Mightiest A Boat of them all"Aramaic. Many memories but one that sticks out is a particularly boozy Christmas in Mt. Maunganuii. You played a mean guitar and we thought we could sing.Have already made contact with Mike Earp (NZ) and Graham Barret(Aus.) from those heady times.Would like to know what transpired with the rest of the mob(Alfie Croston/Neville Thomas et al.
All of the best Wilkie.
Barry(Mac) Macauley.

Hi again Mac,
Just noticed the SA Flag on your page. ??? I spent most of 2009 and half of 2010 in Mossel Bay, cape Town and finally 5 months in Dry Dock in Durban. Where do you live ?
Wilkie

barry john macauley
5th December 2012, 14:54
Hooray Wilkie,Bert and Carol: Great to hear from you guys again. I've been here in the Rainbow nation since the end of '79, prior to that I was on the Zambian Copperbelt for six years. I retired in 2007, and in 2008 moved from Johannesburg to Bathurst in the Eastern Cape. As you can see Wilkie, you were not too far away: Mossel Bay being something like 400kms. from here. I was called out to the Mossgas Platform(as it was called then) a few times while I was working, which made a nice change from the Mines(like being back at sea).
Carol, do you still put your hands on top of your head when reaching your alcohol limit and Bert do you still have your Rosie?. Please gents no more talk of Blue Maxes, I'm a much nicer person now.
Keep the faith and keep in touch,(I think we should kickstart the Aramaic thread, who knows how many 'A' Boat men are lurking out there.

andrewcarol.c
6th December 2012, 08:32
Hi again Mac & Ian.
Carol no longer indicates her limit by putting hands on head. Knows when to stop these days. I don't need a Rosie any more, as we have an ensuite. Mind, if I remember correctly, we had one on Aramaic as well. Was in touch with Tony Clarke a few years ago but lost his email in a computor crash. Also worked with Ray Griffiths "1st Mate" after leaving the sea but have long lost touch.
Tony, Ray & our Skipper Brian Agnew along with other ex Aramaic crew ended up on the Gothic's fatefull run the trip after we all sailed together. Tony & Ray (among others understandably) quit sea life after that.
Do not know where you two went but, by the Grace of God & lack of a steam ticket, there went I.
Agree we need an A Boat thred.
Regards,

Bert & Carol

ferrandou
22nd February 2013, 22:29
Brian Agnew was skipper on Gothic's final voyage not the fateful one when she went on fire.
No crew who were aboard during the fire were permitted to rejoin.

andrewcarol.c
23rd February 2013, 00:58
Think you have it wrong ferrandou.
Brian Agnew was skipper on fire voyage.
He along with a number of mates & engineers had transferred from Aramaic the previous voyage when it was transferred to PSNC.

Bert Campbell

ferrandou
23rd February 2013, 12:06
Thanks for that Andrew, I was on her on the final voyage and was given to understand (incorrectly) that there were no crew members from previous voyage. Non of the mates or old man ever made mention of the fire.

BobGrif
1st May 2013, 13:01
Brian Agnew was skipper on Gothic's final voyage not the fateful one when she went on fire.
No crew who were aboard during the fire were permitted to rejoin.

Sorry to correct you (just seen the later reply!!). Brian Agnew (a good friend of mine and contemporary) was the Master of 'Gothic' on that fateful voyage when the fire broke out. He is well (and still working!!), and living in the UK.

jake4246
1st May 2013, 14:06
I am sure someone will tell me different.
But I am sure I did the maiden voyage on this ship.
Run Job 22/23 March 1962 Victoria Docks to Avonmouth.
28th March 62 to 11th July 62 Captain Smith
Do remember it was not one of my best trips.
I was at that time Jim Pigg assistant Steward.

I WAS ON HER FOR BOTH THOSE TRIPS AS A EDH, I WAS KNOWN AS SPIKE,

Fairfield
1st May 2013, 18:52
Trials photo.

BobGrif
1st May 2013, 21:13
Trials photo.

Ah ... the black hull with a white band (Applause)

ferrandou
2nd May 2013, 11:10
Sorry to correct you (just seen the later reply!!). Brian Agnew (a good friend of mine and contemporary) was the Master of 'Gothic' on that fateful voyage when the fire broke out. He is well (and still working!!), and living in the UK.

I am glad to hear that. If you meet him please give him my regards and many thanks, just tell him it is from one of the Lyttleton 3. I often think of him and the work he put in on that voyage.

joemack
21st June 2013, 00:44
you may remember me tommy martin deck hand i sailed on her from jan 71to jan73 from liverpool

hiya Tommy, Joe McKenna, messman Iberic 1973, skinned out in Kiwi, September just before she sailed for home.