Who knows this vessel?

khalid
3rd February 2006, 02:25
Who knows this vessel?

Hello Every body.....

Who has any information about this language, I think it's greece language.
I hope if you can help me to find a web site, where I can get the specification of this vessel.

the vessel deviated her line and crashed upon the reef, where no company could rescue her, in somewhere in red sea.
her owners were paid by the assurance, and abandoned her there full of crude oil.

what I heard about the accident,,
It was her captain's fault (who retired after the accident ) because he did not sail on the international sea's line. ( Or what they call it in the maritime term )
That all what I know about her.

Best wishes

R651400
3rd February 2006, 04:49
Khalid, Jan Hendryk gave you the greek translation which I confirmed.
The greek letters say ΑΡΓΟΝΑΥΤΗΣ ΠΕΙΡΑΕΙΣ translating Argonaytis or Argonaftis Piraeus.
You will have to look on the bow for the english which will more than likely be Argonaftis. (Argonaut).
Can you get a better picture of the funnel markings and maybe the IMO number which may be on a builders plate somewhere?
Here is a website with Argonaftis Shipping Company fax and phone number who just may be the owners. You will need a Greek speaker...
http://en.yellowpages.pl/EuroPages/GRC/0c-en/_79k__/Sea.html
Malcolm

khalid
4th February 2006, 05:05
Ok, R651400

This will help. (Thumb)

I will try to find some one can talk with them.

Thanks a lot's.

Here is another Pic.

Best wiches

Jan Hendrik
4th February 2006, 05:23
Clearly this is a tanker, probably built late 50's or 60's.
Good that the funnel is now shown, yet the Greeks used a lot of blue and white, I cannot correlate the funnel's markings to a particular Owner.
Hopefully another member can give more clues.
Jan

R651400
4th February 2006, 10:20
Not a clue. Possibly a greek one-man-band ownership. The fact she is greek flag means defintely traceable. If the ship is boardable then IMO number must be somewhere.

Thamesphil
4th February 2006, 11:07
Well it's clearly a much earlier vessel than those I mentioned in the previous thread about her (which no longer appears to be on the site...?)

Anyway, now that we know a little more regarding her circumstances, it could make identification easier. I have some resources at work which could provide the answer, so I will try to revert on Monday with, hopefully, some good news.

Phil

Gulpers
4th February 2006, 12:00
Well it's clearly a much earlier vessel than those I mentioned in the previous thread about her (which no longer appears to be on the site...?)

Anyway, now that we know a little more regarding her circumstances, it could make identification easier. I have some resources at work which could provide the answer, so I will try to revert on Monday with, hopefully, some good news.

Phil
Phil,

Previous thread is still active. It was in the Gallery, not in the Discussion Forums.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/15172/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

Cheers,

Ray (Thumb)

R651400
4th February 2006, 12:07
which no longer appears to be on the site...?

Try gallery....

Jan Hendrik
4th February 2006, 14:41
Yes and 3 possibilities were given by Ruud and Phil with IMO numbers, so you should be able to narrow this down.
Jan.

khalid
5th February 2006, 04:56
Hello,

First of all, I would like to Thank you all for understood my broken english. (*))

Jan Hendryk,
thank you for retrying helping me.

R651400
You are right, She's traceable, But how we can find her IMO? ( and, Is there a site where we can research vessel By IMO, If we have it? )

Thamesphil,
Thank you, we are waiting for the good news on Monday. (Thumb)

Hi Gulper, and thank you for following up and interesting. (Gleam)

Here is a full view of the sunk vessel.

R651400
5th February 2006, 08:22
Tanker?? I was just going to put in a thought, if this is a tanker why does it have stern kingposts, derricks and anchor port!
Khalid has just supplied the reason..
Back to the drawing board.

ruud
5th February 2006, 09:34
Ahoy,

If there is an IMO, she is be traceable, there are lots of gents here who do have old Lloyds Register Shipfinder's, like myself I own 12.
Surely she isn't a tanker.

R651400
5th February 2006, 10:33
Looks like a cross between conventional cargo and bulker to me Ruud. Goalpost masts point to a far east build but there is no evidence of triangular submasts for antennas etc generally seen on fe builds. The bridge housing seems to have disappeared, with the chances of finding the IMO number rather depleted.

stevecz
5th February 2006, 10:41
If Khalid can confirm that the reef is near "Shuaybah"?, in the Red Sea, then the ship is definitely the tanker ARGONAFTIS, she was swept onto the reef during a storm in 1985.

khalid
5th February 2006, 14:58
Well,

R651400,
I don't understand ( kingposts )but what I am sure about, that she is a crude oil tanker.

Rud,
I don't have IMO, if we found it, I will be grateful for your help.

stevecz,
If you meant "Shuaybah" 70 Km south jeddah port? I don't think so,, the reef is near YANBU Port.

I think This Pics can help more, I found some words in the first one.

Best wishws,

Thamesphil
6th February 2006, 10:23
This just gets trickier! First of all, the vessel pictured is DEFINATELY not a tanker. She has cargo gear and hatches and is probably a bulk carrier, built around 1960. I had hoped to find her in Norman Hooke's Maritime Casualties 1963-1996, but there is no mention of an "Argonaftis" or similar named ship. So, I am now inclined to think that "Argonaftis" is a previous name. If you look at the photo, it does look like "Argonaftis" has been erased and what we are seeing is where the letters used to be. I would suggest that the last name was probably more crudely applied and has faded or rusted away, or is on a different part of the ship not shown in the photo. As for the IMO number, there was no requirement for ships to display IMO numbers until July 2004. It is very unlikely that old ships lost or scrapped before then would have carried it, so that is a non-starter.

Phil

Thamesphil
6th February 2006, 10:29
Further to my last message, I've just found an "Argonaftis" that would fit the bill. She was built 1961 at NKK, Japan and 22,750 dwt, 13,553 gt. That was her original name and she was still sailing as such in 1972, owned by Oceanfaring Co. S.A. of Greece and under Greek flag. She even had an arrangement of 4 + 8 derricks, which the ship in the photo also appears to have.

Unfortunately, I don't have any subsequent history, but if I were a betting man, I'd say this was the one.

Phil

exsailor
6th February 2006, 10:52
Website www.geocities.com/sa_farasan/UmmlLujjStory.html?20066 a diving website, makes mention of the Greek registered vessel Argonaftis on the reef at Shi'b Shulaybah, slung there during a violent storm in 1985.
It says 'she sits scaly-wagged with her bow buried in the reef, her prop is at 50 feet, and her stern house sits above the sea'.The dive went under the mid-section at 45 feet, and they also explored the living quarters where beer bottles still sat on tables.

ray1buck1
6th February 2006, 11:40
Could it possibly be the “Streambank 2” 11281 tons (2) built, 1977 for Andrew Weir & Co. / Bank Line sold in 1983 to Seanaut Shipping Inc, Greece renamed "Argonaftis".
Ray

Thamesphil
6th February 2006, 11:57
Could it possibly be the “Streambank 2” 11281 tons (2) built, 1977 for Andrew Weir & Co. / Bank Line sold in 1983 to Seanaut Shipping Inc, Greece renamed "Argonaftis".
Ray

Sorry, definately not a bank line ship. As I said, she's probably a bulker built about 1960. Argonaftis is likely to be an original name, and not the name she was at the time of casualty. I'm still confident that she's the ship I mentioned earlier.

Phil

Thamesphil
6th February 2006, 12:31
With the help of shipwreckcentral.com, here is the answer:

She is DEFINATELY NOT a tanker nor a Bank Line Ship. At the time of casualty, the vessel was called ORPHEUS and, as I suspected, she is the former ARGONAFTIS, built in 1961 at NKK, 13,553 grt. Full text from shipwreckcentral as follows:

ORPHEUS

Type Cargo vessel
Tonnage 13,553 tons
Displacement Not specified
LOA n/a
Beamwidth n/a
Draws Not specified
Nationality Greek
Captain Not specified
Era late 1900s
Year Built 1961
Place Built n/a
Year Launched Not specified
Place Launched Not specified
Service History Greek bulk carrier of 13,553 grt built in 1961.

Last Voyage On a voyage from Piraeus to Yenbo, Saudi Arabia with a cargo of bulk cement she struck Shuaiba Reef, Saudi Arabia in position 24? 25?48" N, 37? 08? 00" E and was lost on 17 June 1979. The 29 man crew were all safely rescued.

Year Sunk 17 June 1979
Place Sunk off Saudia Arabia
Cause of Sinking struck a reef
Passenger/Crew List Not specified
Loss of Life Not specified
Body of Water Red Sea
Depth Not specified
Condition Not specified
Latitude N 024o 026'
Longitude E 037o 008'
Vessel Cargo bulk cement
Vessel Discovered By Not specified
Date Discovered Not specified
Was Salvaged? No
Submitted By: N/A
Date Submitted:

ruud
6th February 2006, 12:57
Ahoy,

Ahoy,
Nothing found on Argonautis, but I did find a Argonaftis, bulker, built in 1961 at Nippon Kokan K.K.-Tsurumi-Yokohama[769] for The Oceanfaring Co.S.A. at Piraeus.
IMO:5023411
Call/Flag Sign:SYCF
BRT:13553
DWT:23115
At my first impression, this was right.(*))

tanker
6th February 2006, 14:30
Correct Ruud and Thamesphil the ARGONAFTIS that i have found is this B/c
built 1961,13,558 g.t.583,5 feet Len.-74,9 f.br.-31,3 f. d.-7- cyl.B&W diesel by Mitsui Zosen 9,100b.h.p.16 knots.I am unable to find others!
Gp

khalid
8th February 2006, 06:05
Hi, Every body . . . .

In fact, It's a wonderful effort of you...
you did not realise how much I gained by sharing in this forum. all of you are great helpfully.

Finally, we found her subsequent history.

Thank's for all, especially you " Thamesphil " you are a challenge man .(Thumb)

I was looking for such site http://www.shipwreckcentral.com/map/index.php?search=1&cities=1&large=1.

But, would you clarify the reason of that much quantities of oil inside the ship?

Best wishes

Thamesphil
8th February 2006, 10:04
Hi, Every body . . . .

In fact, It's a wonderful effort of you...
you did not realise how much I gained by sharing in this forum. all of you are great helpfully.

Finally, we found her subsequent history.

Thank's for all, especially you " Thamesphil " you are a hallenge man .(Thumb)

I was looking for such site http://www.shipwreckcentral.com/map/index.php?search=1&cities=1&large=1.

But, would you clarify the reason of that much quantities of oil inside the ship?

Best wishes

Bunkers?