Too many Chiefs

fred henderson
6th February 2006, 19:01
Lewis Page is an author who has spent 10 years in the RN, during which time he was also on exchange postings to the army and the air force. He has just published an angry book about the MoD and the armed services entitled “Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs”. He repeats much that has already been written about Britain’s defence procurement follies, but he has some interesting things to say about over manning in some areas, especially at the top of the services.
It seems that the RAF has 150 uniformed men for each deployable aircraft. This is more than double the ratio of the Israeli air force. The RAF has 340 Group Captains and 40 Air Marshals. The Army is down to two divisions, but it has 40 Major-generals. The RN has an astonishing 46 Admirals and 88 Commodores. What do they all do?
Surely the featherbedding of this absurd number of senior officers must stop.

Fred (Read)

Mad Landsman
6th February 2006, 20:40
The book was reviewed in the Mail on Sunday 05/02/06.

The reviewer failed to mention the above but concentrated on what our money goes on: Millions of pounds on aircraft which are intended to counter a 'soviet' threat of 20 years ago, or on a front line Navy helicopter that cannot actualy hover in still air! (Cloud)

william dillon
6th February 2006, 20:40
Fred,

Can you imagine how much it would cost us in redundancy payments to get shot of that lot ???? (Cloud)

John Rogers
6th February 2006, 20:59
Thats part of the "Old Boy" net work,taking care of each other and rising to the top. We have the same thing in the USA. We went from 20 Divisions down to 10 but the generals still float to the top.
Thank goodness they have an age cut off, 55 years of age and 30 years and you must retire.
John

R736476
8th February 2006, 00:04
For a Government which has gone overboard on statistics and key performance indicators in just about every Department and Agency, I wonder what the key performance indicators are for the Royal Navy??
46 Admirals = 1 for each major ship (Carriers, Assault ships, Destroyers, Frigates, Submarines which approximate to 46 ). Any ideas on how this compares with the past?
Any suggestions for Commodore KPIs?
Cheers,
Alex

trotterdotpom
8th February 2006, 00:17
The title of this post reminds me of the Australian bulk carrier, Lake Eyre. During a session in the ship's bar, some of the engineers were spruiking off abouth their 'tickets' - Combined Chief's, Chief's motor, Chief's steam, etc. The 4th Engineer who hailed from the Sub-Continent, sitting quietly in the background said: "There're too many Chiefs on this ship, It's a good job there's one f******* Indian!"

John T.

Coastie
8th February 2006, 00:36
The title of this post reminds me of the Australian bulk carrier, Lake Eyre. During a session in the ship's bar, some of the engineers were spruiking off abouth their 'tickets' - Combined Chief's, Chief's motor, Chief's steam, etc. The 4th Engineer who hailed from the Sub-Continent, sitting quietly in the background said: "There're too many Chiefs on this ship, It's a good job there's one f******* Indian!"

John T.

I say, Nice one, that man!!! (Thumb)