Megantic (62)

david smith
20th July 2004, 18:00
Megantic at Avonmouth before repainted all grey. ( see Medic thread)

stevie
24th April 2005, 16:27
Sailed on Megantic on her final two voyages in 1979. we had a great crowd of lads on her, and I spent one of my happiest times at Sea aboard Megantic
The first trip we sailed from Newcastle in Ballast through the Panama Canal to Kiwi.First Port Napier, then New Plymouth, Timaru then Suez Canal,Piraeus,Malta,Liverepool second trip sailed once again in Ballast for Bahia Blanca in Argentina.We loaded Apples and would you believe frozen Sharks for Cadiz Spain. Then onto the the final Port she would enter under the Shaw Saville Houseflag Rotterdam.Everyone on board was saddened to learn she had been sold, and that another fine Vessel had left the British fleet.Needless to say we all went down the Gangway with heavy Hearts. she was sold to the Greeks and became the Detietrios Ventouris in 1979.

Stevie

gadgee
28th July 2005, 11:25
Although I signed on Megantic at Sheerness in Nov 1972 as 3/O, I remember spending all my time in my bunk with flu! I think I was due to do all the UK coast but not deep sea. Anyway I paid off after only 8 days, in Hull. Like to have had a lot more to do with her because she seemed a smart ship. :@

Grantham Little (Sandy)
3rd February 2006, 09:34
As an engineer on the Megantic for some time I always found that she was a "happy" ship. Under Captain Stanger (one of the best) everyone got on well.
Chief Engineers Harry Parker and Dia Evans were very approachable and usually came into a party when held. Parties were usually held in aid of one charity or another in N.Z. or Aussy.
Other that Maurice Brew, does any one else remember Harry Parker or Dia Evans.

Sandy

brandane
5th February 2006, 14:14
Hi Sandy

I was passenger ship guy with Shaw Savill and never sailed on cargo ships except for coastal Liverpool/London on Ceramic but I certainly have been on Megantic in Auckland after I left the sea, and of course knew many of the engineers who worked on this ship.

Sadly Dai Evans passed away about 3 years ago - he was enthusiastic supporter of the Shaw Savill Society here in NZ. I can put you in touch with some of the engineers that knew Dai - such as Jim Dalgleish in Melbourne, or Ken Gullery in Picton, Len Tarleton in Wellington, and many others who are members of the NZ Society.

Its good to read that you enjoyed your trips on Megantic as I did on the passenger ships. Without a doubt my years with Shaw Savill were the best years of my life - and its incredible that 30 odd years later - we are still talking about these great years with a great Company.

Are you a member of the UK Society? Their next reunion in Torquay in March.

Hope others will recall some of their sea days on Shaw Savill ships.

Jamie Shedden
Shaw Savill Society
NZ Branch

Grantham Little (Sandy)
6th February 2006, 11:16
Hi Jamie

Thanks for your reply

Yes I am a member of UK Society (or was, I have not paid the subs recently) the last reunion I went to was at Slaley Hall, Hexham Nr Newcastle a couple of years ago. Due to other commitments, I am still working (Retire in November 2006) have been unable to attend since.

Yes I would like to communicate with other SSA engineers that maybe remember me. There were a couple of N.Z. and Australian enginees that sailed on the Megantic at the same time as me, although for the life of me I cannot remember their names except one was Merv.

I also did coastals on the Ceramic, Carnatic, Medic and Illeric.

The last ship I was on was the Arabic, also a very friendly atmosphere on board. 2nd Endineer was Mike Dennison. If I remember correctly we brought back to the UK a 3rd engineer named or nicknamed Paddy, cannot think of his surname.

Finally I would agree with you the time I was at sea with Shaw Savill was the best in my life, had a great time all round.

Regards

Sandy

John B.
9th February 2006, 02:02
I sailed as 2/0 in Megantic in the 70's on one voyage I was able to take my wife on a round voyage to NZ, we still have a photograph of the ship in our lounge. Capt Wheatley had relieved Capt Stanger on that voyage, both men ran a happy ship. The Megantic was famous within SSA as a happy ship with some crew still there 9 years after the maiden voyage! Timaru port call was allways a highlight as the ships cricket team played the HarbourMasters team, great fun and a nice social occasion for everyone.
Compared to the earlier ships Megantic had hydraulic top and tweendeck hatches which meant easy/quick opening/closing for cargo work and no beams and plugs as in the older reefer ships. her teak decks were always clean and unmarked as no damage from hatch beams,the wide afterdeck was rigged with nets and used for cricket bowling and batting practice at sea in the Pacific heading to NZ so that we could beat the NZ locals! She was also my first airconditioned ship, a novelty at the time. Great days, our modern sailors do not have any time in port for cricket, most do not break watch.

Best regards
John B.

chas.ruxton
27th January 2009, 00:50
Hi Sandy
I Joined The Megantic As Junior Engineer In '64 If I Remember Correctly You Were Fifth At The Time And Harry Parker Was Chief With Robert Burns As Second We All Had Some Great Times Aboard Her You May Also Remember Jimmy Hater (aus) And Peter Lidgard (nz) I Remember That I Also Caught Up With You In Newcastle Aboard The Arabic When I Went Releiving
Its A Small World

Brian Havelock
30th January 2009, 06:30
Engineers lunch break on the Megantic on the Australian coast late 60's A few beers and cheese butties

barry john macauley
24th October 2012, 15:34
Hi Sandy
I Joined The Megantic As Junior Engineer In '64 If I Remember Correctly You Were Fifth At The Time And Harry Parker Was Chief With Robert Burns As Second We All Had Some Great Times Aboard Her You May Also Remember Jimmy Hater (aus) And Peter Lidgard (nz) I Remember That I Also Caught Up With You In Newcastle Aboard The Arabic When I Went Releiving
Its A Small World

Hullo Charlie;
Remember you well my first trip to sea(April '66/Aug'66); Ballast run to Tassie for apples.
Harry was Chief,"Crowbar"Cromar Second, Grant Cameron Third, Mike Dawson Fourth...Pete Lidgard,Russ Day and other guys in the mix. Peter Bull first leckie, Phillip ? second leckie, yours truly third.This is probably a bit late to connect with you, but anyway happy days. Barry (Mac) Macauley

Martin Howse
30th October 2012, 20:15
I was third mate that trip

chief's daughter
31st October 2012, 17:27
That name, Megantic, seems to ring a bell in my childhood memory. I wonder if it was a ship that my father, Eric Deverell sailed on?

barry john macauley
1st November 2012, 09:16
I was third mate that trip

Howzit Martin; Remember you well from all those years ago.Still have a couple of photographs taken in the old Zillertal on the Reeperbahn: you feature prominently in both of them,complete with Stein. One of the pictures is taken with the Band(believe it cost a round for that signal honour). Others in the frames are 2nd Mate W. V....(not able to decipher his scrawl-probably a doctor now),cadets Graham Ball and Ian Storey, John Cromar,Grant Cameron,Mike Dawson, Phil Webster.
Did you spend any time swinging on the Pick off Southend Pier at the end of that trip?. I remember a night ashore really meant that, as there was no return ferry till the morning.
This was the first and last time I tried jellied eels; also the first and last time England won the World Cup.
Ah! memories some good some not so good.
Keep the Faith Martin
all the best
Barry Mac.

Martin Howse
4th November 2012, 19:09
Still have the p[hotos , great night out !! the 2/O was bill Virtue and I am still in contact with him . all the best martin

waiwera
4th November 2012, 22:13
Bill Virtue ring bells from the dim and distant past. Think he got engaged to an Aussie Girl when he was 2/O on the Cretic in 1967?

Martin Howse
13th November 2012, 17:10
Bill now lives outside Melbourne raising cattle in a small way .

barry john macauley
14th November 2012, 07:56
Does this imply he's raising Dorpers?..............of course the deliberate mistake in the foregoing is that everybody knows a Dorper is a black headed sheep. The Dexter on the other hand is a breed of cattle noted for their small stature. The fact that they both begin with D could confuse many people.

Brian Brown
20th March 2013, 13:49
A very interesting thread relating to a delightful 'Lady' MV Megantic. Equally, her sister Medic was also a pleasure to sail on, arguably two of the finest to fly the SS and A flag.
Does any one recall the maiden voyage of Megantic outward bound to New Zealand Dai Evans as C/Eng? Megantic rendezvoused with SS Gothic UK bound in mid Pacific around midnight to transfer a stowaway.
I recall the said stowaway had set himself up under the emergency generator with "all the comforts of home" with an obvious 'in house' supply of goodies.
Since signing up with SN I have spent quite a number of very pleasant hours reliving what I would call 'the end of the Romantic Era in the MN'
To all I sailed with thanks for the memories.
Brian (Joe) Brown.

Brian Brown
6th June 2013, 11:06
As an engineer on the Megantic for some time I always found that she was a "happy" ship. Under Captain Stanger (one of the best) everyone got on well.
Chief Engineers Harry Parker and Dia Evans were very approachable and usually came into a party when held. Parties were usually held in aid of one charity or another in N.Z. or Aussy.

Sandy

Hi Sandy
Noting your reference to Dai Evans as C/Eng Megantic you may have been on the maiden voyage?
If so you may remember on that voyage that Megantic rendezvoused with the good ship Gothic in mid Pacific to transfer a stowaway.
Using the Gothic's motorized lifeboat the transfer was duly undertaken at around mid-night!!!
With the stowaway duly "stowed" the Megantic took off like the proverbial...unfortunately the Gothic's lifeboat engine failed on the return trip meaning that the Gothic had to maneuver along side the lifeboat...what an experience.
All in all the lifeboat was in the water for approx 5 hours for what should have been a 2 hour "jaunt"
Capt. Campbell was not amused
and neither was the lifeboat crew!!!
Happy days
Brian (Joe) Brown

Brian Brown
6th June 2013, 11:44

Sandy

Another one for you Sandy...
Do you recall a 1st Electrician on Megantic John Gormley a Geordie of some renown within SS and A
It would have been early 1971
Regards
Brian (Joe) Brown

barry john macauley
6th June 2013, 19:17
Sailed with John Gormley on the mighty Aramaic in 1967ish. That trip we did a K Line charter from Sydney to Singapore to Bangkok to Rotterdam. I was 2nd Elect..
Remember it was Johns second attempt on a sea going career,as he'd had a spell ashore. Do'nt know if his return was instigated by his wife or if it was voluntary. I remember him telling me that the Foreman asked him why he only turned to for four days the previous week: His reply was that he could'nt manage on three. He introduced me to "Leckies Pic-nics for which I will always be grateful. A real character, I hope he and his Liver are well.
barry mac

Brian Brown
7th June 2013, 09:36
[QUOTE=barry john macauley;682317]Sailed with John Gormley on the mighty Aramaic in 1967ish. That trip we did a K Line charter from Sydney to Singapore to Bangkok to Rotterdam. I was 2nd Elect..
Remember it was Johns second attempt on a sea going career,as he'd had a spell ashore. Do'nt know if his return was instigated by his wife or if it was voluntary. I remember him telling me that the Foreman asked him why he only turned to for four days the previous week: His reply was that he could'nt manage on three. He introduced me to "Leckies Pic-nics for which I will always be grateful. A real character, I hope he and his Liver are well.
barry mac[/QUOTE

Hi Barry

Thanks for your speedy reply re Le Gorm. Joining the Megantic for a one way from Kiwi to the UK it was an hilarious experience being supernumery 2nd Eng on day work knowing that that crazy Geordie would be lurking somewhere with some kind of "witches brew"

Take care
Brian

barry john macauley
7th June 2013, 11:16
Hooray Brian;
Just had a vivid flashback of Gormley skipping from Barstool to Barstool early(or maybe late), one morning in a Bar in Bremen. The tune on the Juke Box was "Puppet on a String" by Sandie Shaw. Any normal person would have been killed.
Remember the occasion well, as later when Herr Kelner drew the curtains, we noticed it was time to turn to.
All of the best
barry mac

loco
25th June 2013, 06:23
I did my first two trips in 'Megantic' as a cadet in 1976/7. Joined in Sheerness, then went to Wallsend for drydock; loaded in Le Havre for Noumea via Panama, then on to Bluff for a full load (in midwinter!) back to Avonmouth and Sheerness via Panama. On the way across the Pacific homeward, as we were carrying a doctor (and his wife) we had a diversion to Pitcairn for a medical emergency.
The second trip was Sheerness-Bremen-Antwerp-Genoa-Suez-Aden-Fremantle (diversion to land our C/E who had had a heart attack, and again, we were carrying a doctor and wife)-Auckland-Wellington-Lyttleton-Timaru-Lyttleton-Panama-Liverpool. This second trip was at the time the DERBYSHIRE was lost; we had a crew of Liverpool Malays, and they were obviously very upset, as they knew many of the lost crew. Steve Clarke was senior cadet first trip, and I now see him frequently at Harwich when he goes out for his ship; he is now a senior London pilot. On the passage from Aden to Freemantle, we passed IBERIC in the middle of the Indian Ocean, the only ship seen on that part of the passage.
Master; M Musson;C/O R Wooding; 2/0 (1) Ray Thomas (2) J Salter 3/0 (1)A Brinkworth (2) Martyn Bishop C/E L May (replaced by C Sanderson) 2/E M Stevens 3/E B Walton 4/E (1) ? (2) B Curtiss (Sp?) 5/E L Hobson Juniors D Bowler D Hornsby (plus others) Elec/O (1) A Smythe (2) M Pond (sparrow) 'Freezer' (1) F Lamb (2)D Finlay 2nd elec P Scott Purser Emil?. Deck cadets included C Jones, H Cavanagh,G Duncan, R Hall, N Prosser, R Lee, K Hodson. Eng cadet E Black.
Many of the P/Os were also on the ship for both trips, but not so certain of their names now.
Hope this gives some memories. It was the trip after I left that she suffered a major genny fire.
Martyn

John King
25th June 2013, 09:44
Hi nobody seems to Remember Gill Witherspoon 1st lecky took her out new from swans, I was an appy then and years later i sailed with him on the laurentic, he told me that dai Evans was bit hard on eng cadets and juniors engs by sending them down below to trace pipe lines under the floor plates and make a drawing,anyone have that experience. Good thread thanks jk

loco
25th June 2013, 17:47
I sailed with Gill on the LINDFIELD in 1978, for one round trip West Indies-NZ and back. IIRC, the two of us spent most of the northbound trip at the mast tops installing new floodlights. Southbound, we had two shore electrical engineers re-winding one genny stator, which had shorted out after, I think, a cooling pipe fractured.
Martyn

Brian Brown
8th July 2013, 13:40
Hi nobody seems to Remember Gill Witherspoon 1st lecky took her out new from swans, I was an appy then and years later i sailed with him on the laurentic, he told me that dai Evans was bit hard on eng cadets and juniors engs by sending them down below to trace pipe lines under the floor plates and make a drawing,anyone have that experience. Good thread thanks jk

Hi John
Can't imagine any other way of finding out the 'actual' placement of under plate pipelines...knew Dai Evans for many years and found him very fair
Brian (Joe) Brown

John King
5th October 2013, 11:31
Heard a tale about an eng on the megantic, scored at party the night before she sailed,he woke up the next morning and realized they were moving and she was still in his bunk luckily they were about to drop the pilot and she went off with the pilot.anyone know if it was true

barry john macauley
5th October 2013, 14:47
Must have been an Australian Pilot. I bet the Engineer was distraught.
barry mac

BobGrif
6th October 2013, 00:37

I sailed with Gill, but on the Deck side ... but it's hard to remember now ... don't think it was Icenic ... or Gothic ... but I am going for the first few voyages of Laurentic. Cheers, Bob.