S C Lancer (Ex Ben Ocean Lancer)

nigelcollett
8th February 2006, 13:32
Hi

Does anybody know the current Panamanian owner of the S C Lancer (ex Ben Ocean Lancer (IMO 7402922)

Tks

NigelC

Thamesphil
8th February 2006, 14:27
Nigel,

Her ultimate owner is the Brazilian company Schahin Cury, which is what the "S.C." stands for. However, according to Equasis, the owner is "Turasoria", also of Brazil. The Schahin Group appears to be a large conglomerate involved in all sorts of things from real estate to engineering, so I would imagine that "Turasoria" is part of this group.

Although she is panama flagged, there is no mention anywhere of a panamanian owning company.

Phil

nigelcollett
8th February 2006, 18:21
thanks Phil

Yet another piece in the jigsaw

NigelC

Iwalber Pereira
31st October 2012, 18:44
Yes. SC LANCER belongs to Schahin till now. Turasoria is just a subsidiary of Schahin. I'm now a DPO here. I've been working at SC Lancer for already 6 years. Good ship. Until now considered one of the best ships operating for PETROBRAS. Best performance ever.

the_vietnam_bear
1st November 2012, 14:04
Yes. SC LANCER belongs to Schahin till now. Turasoria is just a subsidiary of Schahin. I'm now a DPO here. I've been working at SC Lancer for already 6 years. Good ship. Until know considered one of the best ships operating for PETROBRAS. Better performance ever.

She was built on the Clyde in the Scott Liyhgow shipyard.

forthbridge
2nd November 2012, 01:35

Good to hear she is still working well. I stood by her in Greenockmore years ago than.I care to remember.

Iwalber Pereira
2nd November 2012, 07:55
Do any of you have pictures of Ben Ocean Lancer by that time??

nav
2nd November 2012, 11:27
She was a "Pelican" class drillship to a Gusto design, Pelican being the lead ship. I remember her doing trials, most ships on trials were doing high speed runs up and down the measured mile, high speed maneuvers and the like, she appeared and sat on the same spot for weeks on end.

She had a sistership built at Scott Lithgows, the Pacnorse 1, now called Noble Phoenix.

I found some info here:

http://shipbuildinghistory.com/today/highvalueships/offshoredrillships.htm

forthbridge
3rd November 2012, 00:26
Do any of you have pictures of Ben Ocean Lancer by that time??

I don't have any photos but I do have a copy of the menu at the meal after her launching. I tried to attach a scan but it is too big and I don't know how to resize it.

Iwalber Pereira
3rd November 2012, 18:49
I would really like to get that menu!!! Who knows we could have a revival party here. If you can send it to me at ivpereira@schahinpetroleo.com.br I will be very greatfull.

john fraser
3rd November 2012, 20:35
I remember her docked in Swansea when I was docked there on Bengloe. AB,s came on board telling our AB,s how much more they earned on the Lancer than on a normal cargo ship. After they had drunk our bar dry ,they then asked if we could sell them duty free fags or tobacco.That was after telling the boys about their high wages.

forthbridge
4th November 2012, 23:00
I would really like to get that menu!!! Who knows we could have a revival party here. If you can send it to me at ivpereira@schahinpetroleo.com.br I will be very greatfull.

I have e mailed a copy to you together with other things that may interest you

ian keyl
14th November 2012, 16:45
Does anyone know the whereabouts of Andrew.A.Davidson who was the master/OIM of the Ben Ocean Lancer for some time. He was from Aberdeen and always refered to folk as his Quine.

celsis
27th January 2014, 20:14
I remember her docked in Swansea when I was docked there on Bengloe. AB,s came on board telling our AB,s how much more they earned on the Lancer than on a normal cargo ship. After they had drunk our bar dry ,they then asked if we could sell them duty free fags or tobacco.That was after telling the boys about their high wages.

I remember being aboard her in Swansea but I can't remember the wage although 10000 a year seems to stick in my mind. It was a lot more than deep sea, but she was a hoor of a job! I left after Swansea and did a couple of trips with Port Line before going back to her for a coupla trips in the Canadian Arctic. She was still a hoor of a job!

MacB
13th June 2014, 04:18
I joined the Ben Ocean Lancer as a DP Operator in 1980 when she was in the Santos Basin offshore Brazil. The wages were a lot higher than in the rest of the fleet. If I remember correctly the DP job was based on a 2nd mate but with a 65% bonus. Whoopee. Those were the days. Four weeks on / off as well which was a lot better than a four month trip followed by getting the coast off.
I'm back in the Campos Basin nowadays and the SC Lancer was drilling close by us recently. It took me a while to recognise the old girl. Must have had a few upgrades by now. The DP system was a bit of a handful back then - Honeywell ASK - 90% boredom and 10% panic. We had a proper driveoff when in Brazil but that didn't stop us testing the discovery well through the drill string a few weeks later.