Canadian Pacific

Geoff Bray
11th February 2006, 00:17
Have not seen any reference to CP on this site, I sailed on the Beaverboats from 1965 to 1970. Looking for anyone who sailed at that time. Sailed on Beaverelm, Beaverash, Beaverpine, Lord Strathcona, and Pacific Logger.
Had some great times, met some great people.
Geoff Bray

DMA
11th February 2006, 01:07
"Beaver Elm" 3 voyages 1966.great little ship,would roll on blotting paper,great crew,great lakes trips.

"Empress of Canada" 1968.

Geoff Bray
11th February 2006, 01:11
Hi Dave,
Were you the second Mate, I sailed with you, I was the fourth engineer
I think Aly White was the Old Man?
Cheers
Geoff

bob johnston
15th February 2006, 10:53
Have not seen any reference to CP on this site, I sailed on the Beaverboats from 1965 to 1970. Looking for anyone who sailed at that time. Sailed on Beaverelm, Beaverash, Beaverpine, Lord Strathcona, and Pacific Logger.
Geoff Bray
undefined

Do you remember Beaverfir as my sisters husband was deck crew in 1966 John Vallis.He enjoyed the CP Beaver line.He said their ships rolled but enjoyed them.

danube4
15th February 2006, 12:43
Go down to recent posts, type Beavercove. Beaverford. for pics. Barney.

Geoff Bray
15th February 2006, 14:28
Bob,
Yes I remember the Beaverfir, I actually stood by on that vessel in London, it was the first ship I joined in CP. She was rather a small ship and crossing the Atlantic in the winter was a bit of a bind, even on the other beavers was quite a challenge, we had a wave come down the funnel on the Beaverelm one voyage. Every one on board would say "never again' at the time. But then next trip you would see everyone signing on again.
Happy Days

DMA
15th February 2006, 19:37
Hi Dave,
Were you the second Mate, I sailed with you, I was the fourth engineer
I think Aly White was the Old Man?
Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff
Sorry mate, closest I got to second mate was when we tied up/let go,at the time I was AB, must admit most were good sh*ts.

'Beaver Elm' 21/02/66-24/03/66..Capt Williams
07/07/66-**/09/66..Capt Ford ??

Geoff Bray
16th February 2006, 00:42
Dave,
I just checked my discharge book and I was on leave both the trips that you sailed, however I did sail with both Williams and Ford. Bill Williams was bounced off the Empress vessels when he had that collision in the St Lawence River, and for one trip he sailed as mate under Basil Ford as old man,
That must have been tough because they were both buddies, and before the incident Bill Williams had been Commodore of the fleet.
There is a CP website for ex employees.
Cheers
Geoff Bray

Lanaud
16th February 2006, 03:15
Dave,
I just checked my discharge book and I was on leave both the trips that you sailed, however I did sail with both Williams and Ford. Bill Williams was bounced off the Empress vessels when he had that collision in the St Lawence River, and for one trip he sailed as mate under Basil Ford as old man,
That must have been tough because they were both buddies, and before the incident Bill Williams had been Commodore of the fleet.
There is a CP website for ex employees.
Cheers
Geoff Bray

I remember my dad telling me they'd been hit sometime someplace on the River here. He was on the Sea Transport I believe, or the River Transport....

This the one hit?

gand00k1n
23rd February 2006, 23:14
Geoff
What is the url for the website for CP Ships ex employees
Regards

Gand00k1n

tunatownshipwreck
24th February 2006, 06:33
I remember the Pacific Logger, loading logs (of all things) at the Port of Astoria on the Columbia River, December 1969. It usually took a week, but the ship was tied up for two weeks or so due to some kind of problem, maybe rough weather. As I recall, the only reason it called was a longshoremans strike in BC. Crew was from Hong Kong. I have a picture or two somewhere.

Geoff Bray
24th February 2006, 15:35
Hi Tuna,
I was on the ship that voyage,we had previously loaded a cargo of logs in Coose Bay and had sailed for Japan on December 22, after two days out we hit one of the worst storms I'd ever been in. I was standing in the alleyway talking to the oldman and chief engineer and the chinese chippy came running up to us and said that number one hatch bilge soundings was 28 feet, we all looked at him and told him he must be mistaken, he said No!No! it's right. So the Chief Engineer agreed to go check it with him, we had cargo piled twenty feet on the deck, some of it forward had come loose and was hanging over the side.
The oldman went on the bridge and turned the ship leeward, and the C/E and chippy went up the fore deck, and sure enough the water was right up the sounding pipe, the ship was down by the head and we could not steer it on auto pilot, by this time all the chinese crew had their life jackets on, my crew would not come down the engine room. Captain Cummings decided to turn back for Astoria, it was the closest port. When we got along side, we put power on the windlass for tying up and everything was dead, the forcastle was full of water as well. The dockers did not want to go near the cargo at first for fear of it moving, but did eventually, when they opened number one hatch, the log cargo came up with such a rush, it all shot in the air... What a mess, this was only the ships second voyage from being built, all the hand rails on the forcastle were twisted like sticks of liqorice, and the ships name was on the water line when we finally tied up, I have some photos but do not know how to upload them on to this site.
We were there for at least two weeks with repairs and re-loading the cargo
The mate got fired for not making sure that number one hatch covers were battened down.
The Pacific Logger had replaced another CP Ship, that had sunk in the north pacific earlier named R.B. Angus.
Needeless to say I swallowed the anchor after that next vogage and quite the sea.

R58484956
24th February 2006, 16:14
Welcome Gand00k1n to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

tunatownshipwreck
25th February 2006, 07:43
Hi Tuna,
I was on the ship that voyage,we had previously loaded a cargo of logs in Coose Bay and had sailed for Japan on December 22, after two days out we hit one of the worst storms I'd ever been in. I was standing in the alleyway talking to the oldman and chief engineer and the chinese chippy came running up to us and said that number one hatch bilge soundings was 28 feet, we all looked at him and told him he must be mistaken, he said No!No! it's right. So the Chief Engineer agreed to go check it with him, we had cargo piled twenty feet on the deck, some of it forward had come loose and was hanging over the side.
The oldman went on the bridge and turned the ship leeward, and the C/E and chippy went up the fore deck, and sure enough the water was right up the sounding pipe, the ship was down by the head and we could not steer it on auto pilot, by this time all the chinese crew had their life jackets on, my crew would not come down the engine room. Captain Cummings decided to turn back for Astoria, it was the closest port. When we got along side, we put power on the windlass for tying up and everything was dead, the forcastle was full of water as well. The dockers did not want to go near the cargo at first for fear of it moving, but did eventually, when they opened number one hatch, the log cargo came up with such a rush, it all shot in the air... What a mess, this was only the ships second voyage from being built, all the hand rails on the forcastle were twisted like sticks of liqorice, and the ships name was on the water line when we finally tied up, I have some photos but do not know how to upload them on to this site.
We were there for at least two weeks with repairs and re-loading the cargo
The mate got fired for not making sure that number one hatch covers were battened down.
The Pacific Logger had replaced another CP Ship, that had sunk in the north pacific earlier named R.B. Angus.
Needeless to say I swallowed the anchor after that next vogage and quite the sea.
That jogs my memory. Everything on deck and in one of the holds had to be offloaded and there wasn't a lot of room on the dock, so it was trucked off to a storage lot. Officers and engineers had a bar, I remember one friendly Canadian fellow with dark hair and a full dark beard. There was a Chinese QM who loved American soul music, had a portable player when those things were not very common or cheap. Bermuda flag.

jimmyc
4th March 2006, 12:34
My Father John Cullen was a crew member of the Duchess
when torpedoed 10/10/1942
see below references to the great ship
Dad arrived in Australia today will see him in a couple of weeks when he comes to Canberra he is 85 years young
Survival at Sea
Duchess of Atholl Duchess of Atholl - See John Trevor Liney Telegraphist An Atholl Survivor - See John Cullen's Story

www.gordonmumford.com/survive.htm

as a footnote dad and Trevor have spoken by Phone
some 62 years after the event

lagerstedt
5th March 2006, 05:18
For all you old CP folks. Two photos of the Beaveroak. Copied from a book I have.

Regards

Blair lagerstedt
NZ

nigelcollett
5th March 2006, 11:00
Hi Geoff

Attached Beaverpine from "Laurence Dunn's - Thame Shipping" ISBN 0 9518656 1 7

Regards

NigelC

Geoff Bray
5th March 2006, 15:02
Hi Nigel,
Thanks for the Pic of the Beaverpine, I spent a couple of happy years sailing on her as 3rd and 2nd engineer. I have some other shipboard Pics that I would like to post , but not very computer literate I am afraid.
Will have to put more effort into it
Thanks a lot anyway
Best Regards
Geoff

jimmyc
30th March 2006, 00:27
has anyone any idea how I can get hold of Deckplans
of The Duchess of Atholl

DMA
31st March 2006, 00:45
Doing a bit of sorting,found in toolbox .

DMA
31st March 2006, 00:53
has anyone any idea how I can get hold of Deckplans
of The Duchess of Atholl

Could be a chance here to find what your looking for..http://www.fishernauticalbooks.co.uk/page2.asp

Dave Townson
3rd April 2006, 22:29
In case anyone doesn't already know, the Web site for CP Ships is www.timelink.org.uk/index.htm

Regards,

Dave Townson.

jimmyc
13th April 2006, 17:48
Thanks Dave and Dave
have checked with both sites awaiting reply
appreciate your assisstance
kindest regards Jim

wee bobby
13th April 2006, 22:40
Was on the "Empress of Canada" early '60's what became of her???

jimmyc
13th April 2006, 23:59
See link below

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/descriptions/ShipsD.html#dofrichmond

DUCHESS OF RICHMOND / EMPRESS OF CANADA (2) 1928
20,022 gross tons, length 601ft x beam 71.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 18 knots, accommodation for 580-cabin, 480-tourist and 510-3rd class passengers. Built by John Brown & Co, Glasgow, she was launched on 18th Jun.1928 for Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd. Her maiden voyage started 15th Mar.1929 when she left Liverpool for St. John, NB and she continued Canada sailings until starting her last pre-war crossing from Montreal to Liverpool on 15th Dec.1939. She was then used as a troopship until May 1946 when she arrived at Glasgow for refurbishment. Refitted to carry 400-1st and 300-tourist class passengers and speed increased to 20 knots, she was renamed EMPRESS OF CANADA in 1947. On 16th Jul.1947 she left Liverpool on her first post war voyage to Quebec and Montreal and made a total of 186 round voyages on the North Atlantic. She caught fire at Gladstone Dock, Liverpool on 25th Jan.1953, heeled over and sank in dock. Refloated in March 1954, she left Liverpool in tow on 1st Sept. and was scrapped at Spezia, Italy.

Dave Townson
17th April 2006, 11:42
True, but surely Wee Bobby means the third Empress of Canada, which made her maiden voyage forty-five years ago and was retired only ten years later. Ironically, as the Mardi Gras, and in company with the former Empress of Britain as Carnivale, she became the foundation of the most successful cruise fleet in history. Then she underwent a series of incarnations such as Star of Texas and Apollon, and was only recently and summarily scrapped. Full details can be found by Googling the ship's name. Excuse my font; I don't know one from another.Dave.undefinedTesting, hello is this thing on?See link below

20,022 gross tons, length 601ft x beam 71.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 18 knots, accommodation for 580-cabin, 480-tourist and 510-3rd class passengers. Built by John Brown & Co, Glasgow, she was launched on 18th Jun.1928 for Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd. Her maiden voyage started 15th Mar.1929 when she left Liverpool for St. John, NB and she continued Canada sailings until starting her last pre-war crossing from Montreal to Liverpool on 15th Dec.1939. She was then used as a troopship until May 1946 when she arrived at Glasgow for refurbishment. Refitted to carry 400-1st and 300-tourist class passengers and speed increased to 20 knots, she was renamed EMPRESS OF CANADA in 1947. On 16th Jul.1947 she left Liverpool on her first post war voyage to Quebec and Montreal and made a total of 186 round voyages on the North Atlantic. She caught fire at Gladstone Dock, Liverpool on 25th Jan.1953, heeled over and sank in dock. Refloated in March 1954, she left Liverpool in tow on 1st Sept. and was scrapped at Spezia, Italy.

DMA
23rd April 2006, 20:14
A nice little book all about CPR is this.
'Canadian Pacfic' story of the famous Shipping Line by George Musk
ISBN 0-03-920291-7

terence
23rd April 2006, 23:27
empress of canada <3 > maiden voyage april 24th 1961 liverpool to montreal i was on her in 62 got d b s on that bosun martin quinn what a man

muldonaich
24th April 2006, 11:10
does anyone remember the name of the catering super that used to come on board at the landing stage i think he was scottish kev.

jimmyc
30th April 2006, 01:17
A nice little book all about CPR is this.
'Canadian Pacfic' story of the famous Shipping Line by George Musk
ISBN 0-03-920291-7
thanks dave I will get my local library to get it in for me

Dave Townson
3rd May 2006, 01:51
The only catering superintendent my CP friends and I can remember from Liverpool was Charlie Fulcher.

Dave.

muldonaich
3rd May 2006, 09:00
ithink his name was greenway or greenwood something like that ring any bells??? kev

muldonaich
3rd May 2006, 09:02
sailed with martin hoot gibson lampy 1964

Dave Townson
5th May 2006, 02:48
Oh yes, Greenwood. He was personnel manager, at least of the pursers' department. No longer with us, I'm told.

Dave.

muldonaich
5th May 2006, 21:35
thanks for that dave his mother was my grannys best freind i did not know him at all just saw him come aboard at the landing stage regards kev.

davemac
28th May 2006, 16:57
Hi there all old CP shipmates - nice to see some recognisable names there after all these years. I just recently found the site so still trying to figure out how to navigate around it!
Attached photos might ring some bells!

R58484956
28th May 2006, 18:05
Interesting colours on photos

david
29th May 2006, 10:24
Weebobbie,
Empress of Britain.
Laid down Jan 1959
Launched May1960
Maiden Voyage April 1961
27,300grt
Pax 192 first 856 tourist
Final liner voyage Sep 1963
Chartered out for cruises
Sold Greek Jan/Feb 1964
Laid up L'pool Aug 1964
R/N "QUEEN ANNA MARIA" for Greek Line.
First Voyage March 1965 (short cruise)
First Line voyage arr,New York April 1965
Cruising from Nov 1965
Final LINE VOYAGE Nov 1972. Then only Cruising/Positioning.
Laid up at Piraeus/Perama Jan 1975
Sold to Carnival Line R/N"CARNIVALE" Dec 1975...and the rest as they say is History!!
J/V company formed with Epirotki R/N "FIESTA MARINA" First Cruise Oct1993.
Not succesful was laid up again in Perama having been R/N "OLYMPIC" Sep 1994
Cruising the Med for Royal Olympic from c. Jan 1995
Sold and R/N "TOPAZ" with major refit. First cruise Apr 1998 for Thomson Cruises
Final Cruise April 2003
Chartered to Japanese Group..'Peace Boat' organization.Arrived Tokyo June 2003
May 2006....STILL IN SERVICE!! 46 Years Young!!
There a number of pix of her on the site as 'TOPAZ' or 'THE TOPAZ'

Dave Townson
30th May 2006, 23:27
Actually those first few lines of information apply to the Empress of Canada. The Empress of Britain was launched in 1955 and made her maiden voyage in April 1956.

Dave.

jimmyc
9th June 2006, 14:11
My Dad served on the Empire Regent at one time was
under Canadian Pacific managementas Beaverlodge
Empire Regent
1943 MOWT managed by T.& J.Brocklebank Ltd.
1945 MOWT managed by Furness Withy & Co.
1946 BLACK PRINCE, Rio Cape Line (Furness Withy)
1949 ZEALANDIC, chartered to Shaw, Savill & Albion Line.
1952 BEAVERLODGE, Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd
1960 BENHIANT, Ben Line Steamers Ltd.
1970 VENUS, Witty Cia.Nav.SA, Cyprus.
1971 Scrapped Taiwan.

had a little bit of a hard time researching this ship
as it went through so many name changes

ruud
29th June 2006, 06:53
Ahoy,

For all of you CP "lovers", found in the famous old shoebox some of the CP vessels, all taken in the Rotterdam area mid/end '70's

CP Discoverer 1971
CP Trader 1971
CP Voyageur 1970

rob15
3rd July 2006, 11:02
Worked on Beaveroak while being built at Vicker Armstrongs Navel Yard Walker in the late 60s along with the p boats for Blue flu line a smart vessel .

jimmyc
27th July 2006, 13:26
this is quite an interesting story about the sinking of
Canadian Pacific SS Duchess of Atholl
this is a bit of an update re my Dad's ship being torpedoed 10/10/1942
click onto link below
check this account of Sinking SS Duchess of Atholl

http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/duchsinking.html

1932Canal
27th October 2006, 15:42
For all you old CP folks. Two photos of the Beaveroak. Copied from a book I have.

Regards

Blair lagerstedt
NZ
I stood by the building of the 'Beaveroak' in 1995 as Company Representative. I was the Mate and the Master, Captain Basil Ford only joined at the last moment, prior to the Trials (He had no experience of the Great Lakes and their Navigational and Operational requirements).
I left CP December 1965 to eimigrate to Canada.

Hugh Ferguson
29th October 2006, 14:04
I was in St John N.B. sometime in 1944 when the so called "lucky" BEAVERHILL had a problem sailing fully laden. She grounded on the Hillyards Reef and stayed there. I watched it happening. Is there anyone around who was there at the time, or knows anything about? Hugh Ferguson.

mikeg
29th October 2006, 16:35
Ahoy,

For all of you CP "lovers", found in the famous old shoebox some of the CP vessels, all taken in the Rotterdam area mid/end '70's

CP Discoverer 1971
CP Trader 1971
CP Voyageur 1970

Thanks Ruud, I was on the CP Voyageur in 1972 - good to see her again.

Mike

Keith Adams
9th November 2006, 02:01
I was shanghied of the :E OF FRANCE"to "BEAVERBURN"in Monteal early one
morning... Empire Boat and really "heavy" on deck, German Deck crew,Dutch
Steward Dept.,and Flemish Firemen: signed on and of every port in Europe and
never returned to UK. Old Man made me do all chartwork on Flying Bridge,no
cover from sleet , pine trees in the St Lawrence instead of buoys, ready for ice.

sailor63
16th March 2007, 19:49
Hi Geoff, Not quite your time, a year in front actually. I did what amounts to a season on the Beaverfir from 25th march 1964, ( still using ice-breakers on the St. Lawrence!) till19th. december, 1964. ( 5 trips) home just in time for xmas. Only 3000 tons gross! she rolled like a barrel! I well remember surfing across the laundry room deck while hand scrubbing my dungys. lol. She was sold 3 times, 1972 to Liberia, 1975 to Venezuela, 1980 to cayman Islands, was wrecked on 20th. september 1982 at a place called Barra De Santigo. (Scribe) Cheers Colin Knight, (Deck).

Jeff Partington
9th September 2008, 18:24
Hi Geoff
I was on the Beaverelm for one trip in Oct/Nov 1966 as 4th eng after joining her from the Imperial Star (a terrible ship,B&W poppet valve 9 cylinder twin screw) which was then tied up in front of her. Excellent ship. Des? was Chief Keith Dancy was 2nd. I cannot remember anyone else. I then joined the R.B. Angus and stayed with her until she sank. I joined the Beaverfir in May or June 1967 for a trip and then went to the H,R,McMillan.
Cheers

Jeff

wood butcher
29th June 2010, 18:44
Hello all ,I joined Beaverelm in Dec 62 as Chippy,more or less straight out of my apprenticeship.I did four trips in her then joined the Fir for eight trips,my last trip was back on the Elm sailng in June 67 .plus i did stints working by in the Vic.I enjoyed my time at C.P.especially on the Great Lakes ,not so good in the winter as you know,talk about rock n roll.

Cheyenne
14th October 2010, 15:06
Served my time with CPR (as it was known then). Aboard the Beaverford when she was 'iced in' alongside in Montreal October 1958 to February 1959. Interesting times!

Jocko
10th November 2011, 11:32
Hello Geoff, Did you say that you were 4th Eng. on the Beaverfir in 1966. I was 4th Eng. on her in 1962. Were all the beer labels still stuck inside the wardrobe in the 4ths cabin?
An interesting fact that I just uncovered yesterday. Canadian Pacific bought the fleet of Beaver ships from Elder Dempster in 1903. Hey, where would we be without computers.

Jocko
10th November 2011, 12:37
There is a lot of confusing information on the Web. I know that it was definately the Empress of Canada that caught fire in Gladstone dock in 1953. There is another reference to the Empress of Canada being torpedoed by an Italian submarine in either 1942 or 1943. Strangely she was carrying Italian POWs and an awful lot of them were lost. I can only put this down to the fact that CP was forever changing the names of their ships. I`m sure that they lost another ship by a fire. I remember one thing they were very strict about fire drill. We would be questioned about Fire extinguishers and Fire exits and if you didn`t know the locations you were in trouble.

sailor63
11th November 2011, 00:43
was on the beaverfir, 5 trips, all great lakes. rolled like a barrel.lol. 25-3-64. to 19-12-64. cheers, colin. K.

Jocko
11th November 2011, 17:23
I kept my testimonials that you got on leaving a ship and I`ve just found that the Chief Engineer on the Beaverfir 1962 to 1963 was J McKibbon. I get a good laugh when I sometimes dig them out and see the Report as to Sobriety---- Very Good. How bad had you to be to be called a drunk??????

tunatownshipwreck
11th November 2011, 19:31
Hello Geoff, Did you say that you were 4th Eng. on the Beaverfir in 1966. I was 4th Eng. on her in 1962. Were all the beer labels still stuck inside the wardrobe in the 4ths cabin?
An interesting fact that I just uncovered yesterday. Canadian Pacific bought the fleet of Beaver ships from Elder Dempster in 1903. Hey, where would we be without computers.

Geoff hasn't been to SN since April 2009. I hope he's OK.

para handy clyde
9th April 2012, 00:27
Hello Shipmates,I sailed on the Empress of England 67/68 It was a great ship to be on.I joined at the tail of the bank on the clyde with a piper playing in full regalia as passengers were boarding.I was catering boy and on Joining found myself promoted to the platehouse.good move as wages trebled.Then made my way into the Kitchen as Assistant Cook.I think it was a Jim Jeffries who was Chef and George Sandys.I remember sailing down the clyde on her when The Q E 2 was doing her trials. She was astern of us when she developed problems.
Some of my best seagoing memories were of that vessel,liverpool for me was the best run ashore in the World bar none and that after a career at sea of over eighteen years.Sailing to Montreal in the summer and then on to the cruising.Those were the days.Regards to any who were there at the time.

jdtugs
25th June 2012, 17:27
Geoff Bray

Geoff; just re-registered on the site. Getting a little bit older, but delighted at first visit to see reference to CP Ships:
Joined - Beaveroak/CP Ambassador, NR Crump, then sent to TSU for the Maiden of the TG Shaughnessy on which I served for a while.
Left CP late '74 and joined ZAPATA Marine to work the Nigerian Oil Base at WARRI. First post for years will keep it short.

tom roberts
25th June 2012, 19:27
Sailed on the Scotland as A.B,late 50s cruising out of New York. Was the the Empress boat that was previously the DeGrasse I think it was the France,they used to say at the Pool as she was going thro looking for a crew(Keep of the Grass) maybe some Liverpool crew will remember this and why it was said.

LucyKnight
9th September 2013, 17:31
Geoff
What is the url for the website for CP Ships ex employees
Regards

Gand00k1n

You requested the url for the timelink site. Just had an email back from Marshall Christie today, re uploading photos. The only one that can upload on the site is himself.

copy of the paragraph

'Thanks for yours yes I can upload photos onto the website but no one else can!!!'

Can't say I blame him. Most of the ones I have are 'happy snappies' of parties and not everyone wants to be remembered of their youth taking part in fancy dress parties etc.

Lucy Knight

Lksimcoe
11th September 2013, 21:36
There is a lot of confusing information on the Web. I know that it was definately the Empress of Canada that caught fire in Gladstone dock in 1953. There is another reference to the Empress of Canada being torpedoed by an Italian submarine in either 1942 or 1943. Strangely she was carrying Italian POWs and an awful lot of them were lost. I can only put this down to the fact that CP was forever changing the names of their ships. I`m sure that they lost another ship by a fire. I remember one thing they were very strict about fire drill. We would be questioned about Fire extinguishers and Fire exits and if you didn`t know the locations you were in trouble.

The Empress of Canada that was sunk in WW2 was launched in 1920. The Empress of Canada that burned in the Gladstone Docks in 1953 was originally the CP liner Duchess of Richmond, launched in 1928, but renamed the Empress of Canada in 1947. Hope that helps.

Grant

LucyKnight
12th September 2013, 14:46
The Empress of Canada that was sunk in WW2 was launched in 1920. The Empress of Canada that burned in the Gladstone Docks in 1953 was originally the CP liner Duchess of Richmond, launched in 1928, but renamed the Empress of Canada in 1947. Hope that helps.

Grant

In 1981 George Musk wrote and excellent book called something like Canadian Pacific- Hisoty of Famous shipping line. He has also wrote others. He had about 30 yrs in the office then I believe and it was offered in the CP monthly rag Summer 81 at a discount.

This book tells the story and history of all the Empress ships , Beaver boats modern CP Ships fleet and loads of photos.

It mentioned the Empress of Canada being sunk near South Africa and also how Captain Williams (died 2003 and worked on Empress, Beaver and CP Ships fleet inc ID Sinclair) was an apprentice on it when it sunk. (Later to be Captain on the Empress boats and in CP Ships fleet. I remember him telling me about it on the Sinclair and how he and another young lad jumped over side by side and his friend never came up . He put it down to sharks. The book said about the Italian POWs and how a German submarine surfaced and picked up only the Italian doctor POW amongst the Italian POW's The doctor had apparently had his port open before it was struck. It also mentioned that the ship had received a change or order followed by another. It said that after the war Captain Williams met a German radio operator who said the change of orders had been sent from Germany. A lot of the losses where apparently because they were in shark infested waters for quite a long time before they were rescued. There was a copy of this book on ABE books recently which would have been cheaper than the original hardback.

On the timelink site re his obituary written by one of his family it mentioned him telling his grandson 'if ever in shark infested waters head for an oil slick' It also mentions that during his career experienced ship sabotage and bugging of the ship's communication system. Maybe thats what the reference is about.

pensioner
12th September 2013, 21:02
When sailing with CP it was generally believed the Book was called "The Birth of a Company" giving the complete history from the first mine at Trois Riviere and the subsiquent expansion to, what was then, the early 70's.

Regards

ben27
13th September 2013, 02:36
good day pensioner.sm.today.05:02.re:canadian pacific.just an inquiry.did you ever hear of the beaverdalle.i was on her in 1946.i don't suppose shes still around.here are her stats from my discharge book,beaverdale.london.o.n.180818.g.t.9901.n.t.900 0.hope this is of interest to you and other x.cp.did they ever name another the beaverdalle??I must add they considered her very modern in her day.have a great day.regards ben27

Hillview
13th September 2013, 11:23
In 1981 George Musk wrote and excellent book called something like Canadian Pacific- Hisoty of Famous shipping line. He has also wrote others. He had about 30 yrs in the office then I believe and it was offered in the CP monthly rag Summer 81 at a discount.

This book tells the story and history of all the Empress ships , Beaver boats modern CP Ships fleet and loads of photos.

It mentioned the Empress of Canada being sunk near South Africa and also how Captain Williams (died 2003 and worked on Empress, Beaver and CP Ships fleet inc ID Sinclair) was an apprentice on it when it sunk. (Later to be Captain on the Empress boats and in CP Ships fleet. I remember him telling me about it on the Sinclair and how he and another young lad jumped over side by side and his friend never came up . He put it down to sharks. The book said about the Italian POWs and how a German submarine surfaced and picked up only the Italian doctor POW amongst the Italian POW's The doctor had apparently had his port open before it was struck. It also mentioned that the ship had received a change or order followed by another. It said that after the war Captain Williams met a German radio operator who said the change of orders had been sent from Germany. A lot of the losses where apparently because they were in shark infested waters for quite a long time before they were rescued. There was a copy of this book on ABE books recently which would have been cheaper than the original hardback.

On the timelink site re his obituary written by one of his family it mentioned him telling his grandson 'if ever in shark infested waters head for an oil slick' It also mentions that during his career experienced ship sabotage and bugging of the ship's communication system. Maybe thats what the reference is about.

I sailed with Captain Williams on the N.R.Crump and he told me that on the Empress of Canada that the wireless messages came from the Germans to a point where they were intercepted by a U-Boat and torpedoed.He ended up in the water with an Electrician who had on a boilersuit with short sleeves and being in the water the fish came and nibbled at the electricians forearms whereas Bill had a long sleeved shirt on . Bill also told me as he handed over a CP passenger ship to the Germans the German Captain and he were reminicing about the war and it transpired that it was him that was the Captain of the U-boat that sunk the ship.I enjoyed saing with Bill and he was an absolute gentleman.

pensioner
13th September 2013, 12:37
good day pensioner.sm.today.05:02.re:canadian pacific.just an inquiry.did you ever hear of the beaverdalle.i was on her in 1946.i don't suppose shes still around.here are her stats from my discharge book,beaverdale.london.o.n.180818.g.t.9901.n.t.900 0.hope this is of interest to you and other x.cp.did they ever name another the beaverdalle??I must add they considered her very modern in her day.have a great day.regards ben27

Hi Ben
Sorry these ships were before my time in CP I joined them in 1970. I would assume they were probably what was known as "The Black Beavers" for obvious reasons and were Diesel Electric.

Re Bill Williams I also sailed with him on at least one of the Wood Boats and yes found him to be OK.

Regards

LucyKnight
13th September 2013, 12:38
I sailed with Captain Williams on the N.R.Crump and he told me that on the Empress of Canada that the wireless messages came from the Germans to a point where they were intercepted by a U-Boat and torpedoed.He ended up in the water with an Electrician who had on a boilersuit with short sleeves and being in the water the fish came and nibbled at the electricians forearms whereas Bill had a long sleeved shirt on . Bill also told me as he handed over a CP passenger ship to the Germans the German Captain and he were reminicing about the war and it transpired that it was him that was the Captain of the U-boat that sunk the ship.I enjoyed saing with Bill and he was an absolute gentleman.

The story youv'e just told was mentioned was touched on in George Musks book. There was also a photo post war of an Empress boat with a politician and his wife on board. I think it was Eden and a Captain looking on which looked like a younger Capt Bill Williams. Also a photo of the ID Sinclair the supertanker he ended up on till he retired.

Canadian Pacific - story of the famous shipping line by George Musk
Publisher David and Charles
ISBN 0-7153-9279-4
1st edition 1981
2nd Edition published 1989 so probably now out of date
I'm not sure David and Charles who were located by Newton Abbot railway station Devon even exist now.

Another book I was recommended by M.C. (editor of timelink site which I haven't obtained yet is:-

Canadian Pacific by Duncan Haws
Publisher Travel Creators Ltd
First published 1992

LucyKnight
13th September 2013, 12:42
When sailing with CP it was generally believed the Book was called "The Birth of a Company" giving the complete history from the first mine at Trois Riviere and the subsiquent expansion to, what was then, the early 70's.

Regards

Must have been a different book as this book didn't get published till 1981 and went right up to then. George Musk did write other books and one of them was earlier as you will see if you google ABE books.

ben27
14th September 2013, 01:29
good day pensioner.sm.yesterday.20:37.(66)re:canadian pacific,thank you for your reply.of course I was on the beaverdall way back.but I was interested about c,p,on readind the thread.i say it again,she was a great ship.a blast from the past,happy sailing regards ben27

LucyKnight
19th September 2013, 17:05
Fm Lucy knight
Does anyone have access or know where there are any 1979 copies of the monthly company mag the office used to send out to the ships. I am interested in obtaining a scan of one article published in probably 79 if not 80.

marconisparks
21st September 2013, 13:15
Geoff Bray
Hello. The Beavers looked like proper cargo ship. Bit like
Blue Funnel, unmistakable silhouette. Did four months on
The Empress of Canadaand the only thing I missed was
The power of her transmitters. She lasted quite a while.Carnivale
Bought her as their first cruise ship then she went to the Greeks who really
Took care of her and it wasn't until a few years ago she ended up at Gadani
Beach. There's also a pic of the 'white empress' posted by mysrlf.
Take care.

marconisparks
21st September 2013, 13:21
You might be interesfed to know that out of the three Empresses the Englad kept going until a year or so ago as a school/library ship. I was on the Canada as 6th. Sparks in 62.
Dead right abkut Lpool...in the 60ies it was humming.
Take care.

alan ward
21st September 2013, 15:55
I sailed on the England for a couple of trips in the galley and shall always remember anchoring off in the Mersey overnight to sail at first tide.I wondered why they did so and was informed that the entire crowd would have piled ashore and chances were that there would been a few crew members short on sailing.
Remember those fellers sitting on their cases on the quay waiting
to cover any shortages?

Shamus
24th November 2013, 02:40
I was with CP Ships from 1976 to 1980 as 3/E and 2/E.

I sailed in the following order on the W.A. Mather, H.R. MacMillan (when it was arrested in Iraq), W.E. Beatty (with Capt. Bill Williams), CP Voyager, Lord Mount Stephen, CP Trader and then as 2/E on J.V. Clyne, CP Trader, CP Voyager, G.A. Walker and Fort Steele.

I then left the Merchant Navy to work on the rebuilding of the Venice Simplon Orient Express in 1980 and never returned to the sea.

I have great memories of the time I spent with CP Ships.

johnphillips
27th November 2013, 06:32
Did you know John Phillps Chief Engineer? He was on Srathcona i think. and lord mount stephen. I am sure he spoke about someone calles Geoff who played guitar?
My name is morag. Dad died in 96.

Geoff Bray
27th November 2013, 22:01
Sorry hear about your father, Sorry I did not know him. And sorry
I do not play the guitar.
Best regards
Geoff Bray

LucyKnight
5th April 2014, 14:33
I see the Canadian Pacific/C.P. Ships 'Timelink' site does not appear if you google it now. Has it been removed?

Chris Wakefield
21st April 2014, 12:54
I was with Canadian Pacific from Cadetship upto Chief Engineer, from starting my Cadetship in 1978 and leaving CP in 1993.
Serving on the following vessels:-
Fort Carleton, Fort Calgary, Port Hawkesbury, R A Emerson, Fort Coulonge, W M Neal, Dart Atlantica, Fort Resolution, Fort Frazer, Fort Hamilton, Fort Victoria, Fort Carleton, Fort Dufferin, Fort Providence, Singapore Senator, CanMar Ambassador, American Senator, CanMar Victory (ex Singapore/American Senator, Dart Atlantica).
Was sailing on the CanMar Ambassador in 1993 when the "old CP guys" were replaced with Indian officers when the management of the vessels went from Celtic Pacific to Anglo Eastern Manning Agency.
Some of the old guys went to Anglo Eastern, but I decided to leave and after a couple of other companies did a spell with Denholm on the Ice class "Alcan" bulk carriers and now working for Swire Pacific Offshore firstly as Chief Engineer and now as a docking superintendent.

Walter cartwright
21st April 2014, 19:00
Hi Geoff ,I sailed on the Beaverdell in 1961 and the Beaverford in 1962 as an electrician.

Hugh Ferguson
21st April 2014, 19:02
I was in St John N.B. sometime in 1944 when the so called "lucky" BEAVERHILL had a problem sailing fully laden. She grounded on the Hillyards Reef, St. John N.B. and stayed there. I watched it happening. Is there anyone around who was there at the time, or knows anything about it? Hugh Ferguson.

She was known as "lucky" because the convoys she sailed in seemed to avoid attack!

Cutsplice
21st April 2014, 19:05
Austin McCrail master in CP for many years, retired in the 1990s, he crossed the bar possibly 18months ago. I have not read all through the CP messages so his passing may have previously been referred to, if so I apologise for for duplication. I seen him about four months prior to his passing he looked well told me he had a recent medical check and was told he was as fit as a 55yr old.
Therefore I was pretty shocked when I found he had crossed the bar.

Walter cartwright
23rd April 2014, 13:38

Hello Bobby. I sailed on the Empress of Canada in 1961, it was her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Montreal.

Walter cartwright
23rd April 2014, 16:36
Wee Bobby. I sailed on the new Empress of Canada on its maiden voyage in 1961. I started off as 8th electrician. Am looking for anyone else who was on at the same time.

Walter cartwright
23rd April 2014, 16:41
I see the Canadian Pacific/C.P. Ships 'Timelink' site does not appear if you google it now. Has it been removed?

The web sight dos not exist now.Have just tried it and could not get any response.

ben27
27th April 2014, 02:12
good day,pensioner.13th.sep.2013,20:37;re:canadian pacific,#69.just to correct the name,i called her the beaverdall,it should be beaverdell.just readind old post's thougt i would correct it,regards ben27

R396040
27th April 2014, 13:53
Geoff Bray

Hi Geoff,
Didnt realise how old your orignal entry above was, must have missed it somehow. Justchecked my discharge books see I sailed on lordStrathcona as Purser for one trip only 1972/3 so bit later than you anyway. Not a bad trip I recall, good crowd up top foreign crew Spanish ?
Stuart

david freeman
3rd May 2014, 19:48
See link below

As a school boy on a day trip from our school in Leeds I remember a ride on the Liverpool overhead railway, and seeing the Empress of Canada on her side in Gladstone dock after the diasterous fire. Quite a sight.(POP):sweat:

Sunshyne
27th May 2014, 13:36
Hi Chris, I wonder if we crossed paths. I sailed on many of he ships you did. I was with CP from 1978 to 1984 when I last sailed on the Fort Walsh under the Hong Kong flag when I was 2/E. My name is John Garvey and now well and truly ashore since 1988. Good sailing.

kewl dude
27th May 2014, 20:10
I took the first two attached pictures in April 1974 in a Tampa Florida shipyard. I am under the impression that this was a CP ship?

I was 1 A/E on the USNS Pecos TAO-65. I had joined USS Pecos AO-65 in Key West Florida July 12, 1973. While MSC - Military Sea Command -- had been operating the ship, only now the following April was the ship repainted in MSC colors and the MSC decal added to the stack and and a T added ahead of the AO-65 designator.

Anyway all of we officers were kept for the shipyard overhaul -- we lived ashore in a motel -- and we socialized with the crew of this -- CP? -- on board this vessel.

Greg Hayden

tunatownshipwreck
28th May 2014, 07:57
Nice photos, what is the funnel in the first photo? I remember seeing one like this ages ago.

shipman56
4th June 2014, 01:36
Nice photos, what is the funnel in the first photo? I remember seeing one like this ages ago.

Gypsum Transport (aka Fundy Gypsum), usually loaded gypsum rock in Nova Scotia for discharge at various US east coast ports. Mostly Canadian officers on board, hence the 'Canadian' connection.

tunatownshipwreck
4th June 2014, 06:33
Thank you.

ben27
5th June 2014, 02:05
good day walter cartwright,m,22nd april.2014,03:00.#79.re:canadian pacific,ihave posted on this thread before,i was reading the post's today.i note you were on the beaverdell 1961,i was on the beaverdell in 1946.my first ship after being demobbed from the t124x.would it be the same ship??it was very modern as ships go when i was on her,regards ben27

Kevin Rennison
10th June 2014, 19:23

Lucy hi it looks like it's gone.Good to
hear from u again

LucyKnight
11th June 2014, 15:55
Lucy hi it looks like it's gone.Good to
hear from u again

I contacted Marshall Christie re the 'Timelink' site and it has been removed because there were problems with the server not working properly and also the cost.

mazza17
18th July 2014, 20:52
Hello Mr. Bray. I was researching freighters for a book and speaking to my father at the same time ...was re-directed to this site and saw your name...we had a laugh...small world. My name is Mike Maslen, you sailed with my dad.

mazza17
18th July 2014, 20:57
My father sailed on them; Nick Maslen...out of Liverpool, Eng.

martin h
7th October 2014, 00:02
Good Evening,

I have put this link on other threads, I have uploaded 11 "Seanews" magazines 1981 - 1986 and some ships photos

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z8kf9nmtzkahg7u/AAAlOJxgvUZ23pRnXnqisk3pa?dl=0

Regards

Martin H

Les Gibson
7th October 2014, 23:05
Great stuff! Many thank's again. Take care. Les

ianerw
12th November 2014, 17:28
I sailed with a CP guy Capt. George Holman when he left CP for a freelance voyage with Sanko Line. He brought his wife, Nora with him, I found her to be a bit of a character. Anyway, I think he became disillusioned and went back to CP. That was about 1980

alan ward
13th November 2014, 14:21
I`d been working as an Assistant Purser/Catering Officer with Clan for over two years and was becoming impatient with the wait for promotion so started casting my net looking for a berth with another company.Interviews with LOF and CP saw me in London for the day,my afternoon interview with CP in Trafalgar Square was an eye opener in just how slow witted I truly was.The Catering Superintendent who was interviewing me was studying my Discharge Book`Aaaah I see you were in the galley on the Empress of England when I was in charge of the department`instead of immediately replying`Of course I remember you`I told him that was news to me as I never saw a purser actually in the galley! I didn`t get a job,surprise that isn`t it?