The Park Boat

wallie
23rd July 2004, 14:34
I joined the Algonquin Park in the Tyne in 1946, she had just been brought across from Canada to be chartered by the Court Line.
When signing on the old man said 'No Advance notes we are just going to be away 6 weeks Galveston and back with grain' so all hands walked out of the shipping office.
The he succumbed and gave 5 a man.
We paid off in the Royal Albert docks london in 1948, 20 month later! quite a long 6 week trip.
12 month of the trip was spent tramping between New Zealand and the Cook islands, we became quite well known in Napier and Auckland where the girls used to say 'the park boats in'
If only I could write a book!
Saying that I did come across a book called 'Wet Behing the Ears' by a kiwi name Peter Taylor where he writes about his first trip to sea in 1948 when he joined our ship in New Zealand as we were loading to come home.
Quite a few of the lads had jumped ship and we recruited about 6 New Zealanders.
I have been in e-mail contact with Peter since and we have been reminiscing and swapping pictures.
If ever a ship deserved the name Tramp this was it.
wallie

Ian
24th July 2004, 18:04
Great story Wallie.
Didn't go to sea early enough to sail on any 'real' tramps. Mind you, Anchor Lines' EUCADIA was close enough but, at least, the food was good!
Would like to pick your brain....give me a line at <ve2doh@sympatico.ca>
Thanks,
Ian
(Admin)
Montreal.

wallie
2nd August 2004, 17:24
Hi Ian
Anchor lines was quite up market when I went to sea!
On the Park boat we had 6 month running from Durban to Djibouti and Massowa in the Red Sea carrying coal, she was a coal burning ship and the firemen used to come up from the stokehold after a shift and flake out on the deck.
No air conditioning then it was a cardboard box stuck out of the porthole to try and catch a bit wind.
I will always remember in the galley the cook had a big locker with a open mesh front where the bread was stored after baking.
When the crew went along for there bread and he opened the door you nearly were knocked over by the cockroaches leaving the loaves.
I will be away from home for a while, I am leavingt on the 19th August to stay with my with my daughter in Toronto for a month.
Cheers
Norman Walsh

edcasey
29th August 2005, 13:09
Great story Wallie.
Didn't go to sea early enough to sail on any 'real' tramps. Mind you, Anchor Lines' EUCADIA was close enough but, at least, the food was good!
Would like to pick your brain....give me a line at <ve2doh@sympatico.ca>
Thanks,
Ian
(Admin)
Montreal. was it eucadia 1 or 2 my brother sailed on m.v.eucadia1,from yorkhill, to new york and baltimore.