Cambria Hibernia 1949 -BR Holyhead- Dunloagharie

cambria21
13th February 2006, 15:57
I wonder if any one can help here, I'm trying to get some info and photos of these two ships after they left Holyhead in 1975-76 to go to a new career in the med and mid east.
The Cambria was named Al-Taif and sailed the Red Sea with pilgrims she sank at Anchor in the early 80s.

The Hibernia was sold to Greece as the Express Appollon and was scraped in India in 1982 I think.

If any one has any information or photos post BR, I'd be greatfull.

Thanks for reading and looking out
Rgds
Ian
Cambria 21

Coastie
13th February 2006, 16:25
Hi Ian.

I have no photographs of either of the two ships, but, maybe if you try www.holyhead.com you might find something there.

The Express Apollon was broken up in Mumbai India 12/1/81 by a company called Solid Steel Traders Ltd.

Interestingly, the Al Taif, her previous sistership, sank on the 15/1/81, only three days later! An eerie coincidence!

cambria21
13th February 2006, 17:14
Chris
I have a photo Justin Merrigan sent me of the Hibernia in Pireaes just after her refit with her Hibernia name intact. The Cambria is a mystery aparently her masts can be see at low tide. How's Holyhead today? Spoke to my mom yesterday and the weather was lowsey, I have 8 inchs of snow here, so today is a model railway day, I'll be running the Irish Mail in a minute or two.
Rgds
Ian

Coastie
13th February 2006, 17:31
Ian.

It's quite foggy today and there has been a bit of rain during the day too. Am sitting here looking out over Newry beach and the lights of the "Tinto Jetty". (A fire engine has just gone down toward the marina with blue flashy lights too, dunno what's going on there!) (EEK)

Other than that, nowt much going on.

Phil Saul
13th February 2006, 23:32
Hi Ian

Can't help with the photos I'm afraid but I was in the Hibernia from April '69 to September '69 before going back deepsea with NZSC and Federal.
Had a great summer season and had some memorable nights out in Holyhead and surrounding districts.
Celebrated my 21st in some pub in Dunloagharie with all the crew from the Hibernia and was offered a permanent position in her at the end of the season but was still keen to see the rest of the world.
A selection of watering holes we frequented were the Edinburgh Castle,Queens Head,South Stack,Railway Club,etc and was barred from some of them from time to time unfortunately.
Reading your post regarding these two fine ships certainly brought back some fond memories of Holyhead and the people,despite the weather.
Regards
Phil (Thumb)

cambria49
14th February 2006, 00:14
Hi Ian,

I have the call out already - if I get any I'll let you know.

----------
Cambria49

moaf
14th February 2006, 00:22
Not sure if this helps, but here's a link

http://www.sealink-holyhead.com/ships/mailships/hibcam.htm

cambria49
14th February 2006, 05:08
Thanks Moaf - that's my site!

Not sure if this helps, but here's a link

http://www.sealink-holyhead.com/ships/mailships/hibcam.htm

Coastie
14th February 2006, 21:03
Hi Ian

....................A selection of watering holes we frequented were the Edinburgh Castle,Queens Head,South Stack,Railway Club,etc and was barred from some of them from time to time unfortunately.
Regards
Phil (Thumb)

You were barred from The Queens??? I didn't think ANYONE ever got barred from The Queens!! Anyway, it's not there anymore and is now two shops. The Eddy's up for grabs, if you know anyone who's interested?? (*)) (Thumb)

cambria49
14th February 2006, 22:59
How about it Coastie - a partnership to buy the Edinburgh?

(Thumb)

-------
Cambria

Coastie
14th February 2006, 23:02
How about it Coastie - a partnership to buy the Edinburgh?

(Thumb)

-------
Cambria

It's a thought!! (*)) They're offering B&B there now, if my memory serves me well and it's got Lidl's over the back too!

cambria49
15th February 2006, 01:56
Yeah, we could offer counter meals - fish, chips n peaswater!

It's a thought!! (*)) They're offering B&B there now, if my memory serves me well and it's got Lidl's over the back too!

Coastie
15th February 2006, 02:18
I know where we could get spuds cheap, maybe even the peas too!

Coastie
15th February 2006, 07:23
Thinking about it, would get tinned peas from Lidl's and cook them in the peaswater they came in!

cambria49
15th February 2006, 11:02
That would work nicely!! And if we run out one of us could run over to The Globe and buy a pan full!!

Thinking about it, would get tinned peas from Lidl's and cook them in the peaswater they came in!

Phil Saul
15th February 2006, 20:01
Yeah Guys, wouldn't mind joining you in the Edinburgh Castle venture.
It used to be favourite watering hole of the Hibernia crowd during my time.
With regard to the Queens barring I woke up one morning with a hell of a hangover and a vague feeling that all had not gone to well the night before but could not remember a thing.
My mate???? Ken Kirkaldie assured me that I had been as good as gold and not misbehaved and insisted that we go to the Queens for a lunch time 'livener'.
As I stepped through the door the barmaid took one look at me and screamed "YOU!! GET OUT OF HERE!!!
Kenny fell about laughing.
Still there were plenty of other places to drink at that time until things had blown over.
Happy Days!!!!
Regards Phil (Thumb)

cambria49
15th February 2006, 21:17
Good grief Phil - by Holyhead standards it MUST have been good!!

Phil Saul
15th February 2006, 22:14
Dunno' about that.

I think I was just trying to chat her up, but my attempt at Welsh must have lost something in the translation!!

Can't understand why she should have rejected such a nice, polite English boys' advances!!!!!! (Thumb)

Regards Phil

Coastie
16th February 2006, 03:11
[QUOTE=Phil Saul]Yeah Guys, wouldn't mind joining you in the Edinburgh Castle venture.
It used to be favourite watering hole of the Hibernia crowd during my time.........

It's changed a lot internally since then and is a lot bigger inside now. I think those were the days when the Landlord was the late and great Gary Smith.

Phil Saul
16th February 2006, 04:14
Yes, Gary Smith was the landlord at that time.
He was a very popular guy.
I think Meirion ? (can't think of his surname unfortunately) took it over after Gary and then possibly Dick Chant.
It was a great place with great atmosphere.
Regards Phil (Thumb)

cambria49
16th February 2006, 05:22
For some reason i thought it had closed down!

Coastie
16th February 2006, 05:33
For some reason i thought it had closed down!

No Cambers, it's still open. It did well during the farmers protest 8 years ago the blokes fron Sky news, ITN, BBC news etc practicly lived there! (Thumb)

Coastie
16th February 2006, 05:36
Yes, Gary Smith was the landlord at that time.
He was a very popular guy.
I think Meirion ? (can't think of his surname unfortunately) took it over after Gary and then possibly Dick Chant.
It was a great place with great atmosphere.
Regards Phil (Thumb)

Yes, my Brother and uncle used to go there sometimes. They won a treasure hunt there once in about 1970/71.
Yes, Gary was a very popular bloke, I had the pleasure of working with him in the mid 80's.
I think it WAS Meirion who took it over after Gary left, I was only 10 at the time though, so I had NO interest in pubs!! [=P] (Pint)

Coastie
16th February 2006, 05:57
Dunno' about that.

I think I was just trying to chat her up, but my attempt at Welsh must have lost something in the translation!!

Can't understand why she should have rejected such a nice, polite English boys' advances!!!!!! (Thumb)

Regards Phil

I remember waking up one morning when I was in Shetland and suddenly remembering, albeit vaguely, of doing something similar with a Barmaid in one of the local pubs. (EEK) It wasn't my local so I didn't have to go back and find out. I've not been back since either! Maybe we should start another thread on this subject!! (*))

Phil Saul
17th February 2006, 04:01
I remember waking up one morning when I was in Shetland and suddenly remembering, albeit vaguely, of doing something similar with a Barmaid in one of the local pubs. (EEK) It wasn't my local so I didn't have to go back and find out. I've not been back since either! Maybe we should start another thread on this subject!! (*))

Well, maybe, but it's happened to me so many times it's not funny!!

I wouldn't say a word to the women when I was sober but for some reason, thought I was 'Gods gift' when I was p**sed. (egg)

Regards Phil

billyboy
17th February 2006, 07:10

Coincidence coastie! but i never did very well with the welsh girls either. now the cornish girls is another story! ... LOl (ought to have another thread for this coastie)