Information on cruise ships.

davej
16th February 2006, 11:33
Good Morning everyone out there.

I would be most grateful if any members could provide me with information about three present day cruise ships as I am intending to take a short cruise about October this year.

I have narrowed the choice down to three ships.

"Van Gogh", "Atnena" and "Funchal".

I know a little about the "Van Gogh" but nothing about the other two.
I would appreciate any details that anyone can provide with ragard to any previous names etc. and any feed-back from any members who have indulged in a cruise on any of these vessels. It would be interesting to know if the cruises were in your opinions considered to be enjoyable and "Value for Money" bearing in the mind the reasonable prices that are advertised.

I look forward to reading any replies and forthcoming comments/details/information.

Thank you all in advance for your much appreciated feed-back.

Regards.

Davej.

Vindi Phil
16th February 2006, 12:38
Times New RomanHi Dave, I don't know if you have received information on these ships yet but I can tell you that they are OLD ships and of a very small tonnage. You can get full details from launch on these ships by going to www.cruiseships.fsnet.co.uk where you can finf the ships by name. Hope this helps. Phil.Good Morning everyone out there.

I would be most grateful if any members could provide me with information about three present day cruise ships as I am intending to take a short cruise about October this year.

I have narrowed the choice down to three ships.

"Van Gogh", "Atnena" and "Funchal".

I know a little about the "Van Gogh" but nothing about the other two.
I would appreciate any details that anyone can provide with ragard to any previous names etc. and any feed-back from any members who have indulged in a cruise on any of these vessels. It would be interesting to know if the cruises were in your opinions considered to be enjoyable and "Value for Money" bearing in the mind the reasonable prices that are advertised.

I look forward to reading any replies and forthcoming comments/details/information.

Thank you all in advance for your much appreciated feed-back.

Regards.

Davej.

Pompeyfan
16th February 2006, 12:52
Have not been on Van Gough, but have heard good reports. Like the other two ships you mention, she is small and like all smaller ships would be freindlier than bigger cruise ships. Van Gough is 15,429 grt with 253 cabins and 550 passengers. Built in Finland, she is owned by Club Cruise Netherlands, and chartered to Travelscope I think. She is newer than the other two, and not had another name to my knowledge. Athena and Funchal are owned by Classic International Cruises. Funchal has had problems of late. She suffered engine failure in the Red Sea on a repositioning cruise to Australia where she was due to spend the summer cruising from Fremantle. She was late getting there cancelling cruises. She is due to resposition again on a 36 night cruise from Australia back to Europe ending in Hull on 25th April 2006. She again is small, 9,563 tons built in 1961 as HSM Helsingor, Denmark. Athena is bigger at 16,144 but older built in 1948. Her former names Stockholm, Italia I, Italia Prima, Valtur Prima and Caribe. I cannot comment on any of them exept to say that I met some people in Norway when I was aboard Oriana who was aboard another Classic International Cruise vessel called Arion which was dwarfed next to us as she is only 5,888 tons, but they said she was very nice as I beleive Funchal is. But unless other members have better information on these ships, I would always advise people to travel P&O, and a cruise leaving our shores not fly/cruise. P&O are more expensive, but you can be certain of a great cruise. The ships are bigger of course and less friendly compared to the smaller ship. But facilities would be far superior to the older ships. But that is just my opinion and perhaps a touch of bias. David.

danube4
16th February 2006, 13:03
David. The Van Gogh was siter ship to this one.Kareliya. We talked about the other day. Her Russian name is somewhere on the site. Barney

Pompeyfan
16th February 2006, 13:19
That is interesting Barney. You are certainly the best person to comment on smaller ships. Van Gogh certainly looks nice, and I have considered going on her to see what she is like, but I have to travel to either Falmouth or London to pick her up. I don't like travelling any further than Southampton. And as a Pompey supporter don't even like going there?!. David

ruud
16th February 2006, 13:36
Ahoy Barney,

Her Russian name was M.F. GRUZIYA,
Here here details:
http://thayer.dartmouth.edu/~abilgili/Ships/SOVIET/BLASCO/GRUZIYA/gruziya.htm

danube4
16th February 2006, 13:36
David. Van Gogh And how she was as Russian, Gruziya in 1990.
Photo of Van Gogh Courtesy of MARK REEVE. www.markreeve.com

danube4
16th February 2006, 13:45
Ruud. thanks for the info . I was checking the name when you posted. I'm no good at typing, It takes me ages. Every one has moved to another topic by the time i reply. Never mind, ill get better one day. All the best. Barney.

pluijmpje
16th February 2006, 14:25
The Van Gogh sailed a short time from Rotterdam as Club 1. This was the first half of 1999.
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/897/club14lo.th.jpg (http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=club14lo.jpg)
regards
Jan van der Pluijm

pluijmpje
16th February 2006, 14:38
Sorry,
Forgot to mention the great website of Fakta om Fartyg, where almost every cruiser of is to be found with all their details. www.faktaomfartyg.com
regards
Jan van der Pluijm
NB. I sailed the Club 1 in mai 1999 and I was left with mixed feelings, paticular about the Russian officers.

Bob S
16th February 2006, 16:27
Hi Dave,

I sailed on Van Gogh in 2002 from Venice to Toulon. She is small compared to the monsters of today but thats the way I like them. I found her to be very comfortable, friendly and easy going, always seemed to be plenty of room to spread out. OK, entertainment wasn't "A listers" but entertaining all the same and we only had one really formal dress night when we met the Captain, apart from that it was quite casual. We had a really genuine good time and will do it again. (Applause)

See my thread for Van Gogh and also Athena for photos. I've got the daily intineries somewhere at home, I'll dig a couple out and post them.

Bob

peter lewis
16th February 2006, 17:08
the mv van gogh sailing from swansea on the 15th and 23rd of october 9days med cruising travelscope are the company they are advertising the event very well here in south wales tv adverts and local newspapers its nice to see swansea being used by a cruise company the docks are looking very good at the moment still a lot of work going on in the area but improving all the time (Hippy)

R58484956
16th February 2006, 17:11
Goto http://www.travelscope.co.uk/ocean-cruises.html

Charlie_Wood
16th February 2006, 19:58
The Van Gogh sailed a short time from Rotterdam as Club 1. This was the first half of 1999.
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/897/club14lo.th.jpg (http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=club14lo.jpg)
regards
Jan van der Pluijm

We used to get the Club 1 in Fowey when she had to divert from the Channel Islands because of the weather on the Rotterdam cruises. A different breakfast experience for the pilot compared to Seabourn or Silverseas. (*))

sam2182sw
16th February 2006, 20:28
have been on six of the big ones ie RCC PAND O COSTA and i will be going on them again them old ones notlikley well the big ones have prob as well sam

fred henderson
16th February 2006, 21:07
From your short-list Dave, I assume that you have a preference for passenger ships that are approaching the end of their working careers. In which event, Van Gough is slightly out of place. She is a senior lady, but is not working beyond normal retirement age like the other two. Realistically you probably have three or four years to travel on Funchal and Athena before the latest safety regulations become mandatory and ban them in European and American service.

Van Gough is 31 years old, having been built by Wärtsilä in 1975 as a Soviet car ferry. Extra cabins were later added in the car deck. The Berlitz Cruise Guide describes the cabins as “very small and sparingly furnished, but quite adequate for short cruises. Most cabins have very little drawer space, particularly those that accommodate three or four persons and the insulation between the cabins is thin.” She is 15,402 grt, 506 passengers (lower berth) 550 (max) with 57% outside cabins. She has a crew of 240. For comparison, this is 30.44 grt per lower berth passenger and 2.11 passengers per crew member.

Funchal is 45 years old having been built by Helsingor in 1961. Private facilities were provided for all cabins during a major refit in 1997/8. Berlitz describes the cabins as “extremely compact (some would say dimensionally challenged) yet tastefully appointed units----- and there is just enough closet and drawer space provided you do not pack too many clothes". She is 9,846 grt, 465 passengers (lower berth) 566 (max) with 60% outside cabins. She has a crew of 165. For comparison, this is 21.17 grt per lower berth passenger and 2.82 passengers per crew member.

Athena is the oldest operational conventional cruise ship in the world. Only the American river boat Delta Queen and the sailing ship Sea Cloud are older. You will find her history if you type Athena into Search Theads. She is 58 years old. So old that she is not covered by my edition of Berlitz. She is 16,144 grt, 492 passengers (lower berth) 552 (max) with 85% outside cabins. She has a crew of 300. For comparison, this is 32.81 grt per lower berth passenger and 1.64 passengers per crew member.

I cannot give you my personal experience of these ships, as I would be most reluctant to sail on any of them, but everyone should follow their personal taste.

Fred (Thumb)

davej
17th February 2006, 09:21
Good Morning Again Fellow Ships Nostalgia Members.

Thank you all for you rapid and informative replies to my request for feedback about the three old ladies of the sea.

I found the details you have all provided most interesting and helpful.
I shall now peruse your many replies at my leisure and make my choice accordingly.

I shall post a thread regarding my opinions of the cruise when it is all over.

Thank you all again for your help and assistance. It never fails to impress me that so many of you out there are willing to give up your time to assist other members with any information they may require.

Kind Regards.

Davej.