HMS Albion

Fairfield
26th July 2004, 20:27
Taken in 1970 off Greenock on a courtesy visit.

Virgo
22nd February 2009, 03:47
Taken in 1970 off Greenock on a courtesy visit.

A day in the life of Albion.

TCC
22nd February 2009, 18:53
I need to know what the heel of a derrick and/or small boom looked like, it'll be some sort of joint that allows rotation in two planes.

This is for HMS LION (1910) for the small boat derrcks... but I also need a photo of the ends to the boat/coaling booms.

jeffuk13
25th February 2009, 14:07
Has anyone any pics ofAlbion after her conversion or part conversion to I believe an oil rig support ship which was abadoned prior to her being scrapped

Pusser509
26th February 2009, 06:46
Is this any help? Ex-HMCS Cape Breton boat boom heel, about 1994. I think I can produce more from a video I made. Please send a PM if you're interested.

Cheers

Don

jeffuk13
1st March 2009, 00:40
A good looking ship more cuts in the 70's that have lasted till today

Jock3
4th March 2009, 23:51
Has anyone any pics ofAlbion after her conversion or part conversion to I believe an oil rig support ship which was abadoned prior to her being scrapped

You wont find any pics of Albion after her conversion to a heavy lift ship for North Sea work as the plan collapsed after her sale in Oct 1973. As a result she arrived (unconverted) just 2 months later in Nov 73 at Faslane for scrapping.

Lancastrian
5th March 2009, 08:29
A day in the life of Albion.
Hey Virgo, instead of reposting my pic, why not just put a link to it?
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/111321

Virgo
6th April 2009, 04:17

Hi Lancastrian.
I am sorry if I have offended you by using the picture. I also said that this was one of the best pictures I had ever seen of my old ship and thanked whoever had posted it. I am not really sure what you mean by posting a link, I am pretty new to this. I never claimed ownership of the picture. It is STILL the best picture of her I have seen and if you took it sir then well done and thank you for posting it.
Regards.

CEYLON220
7th April 2009, 01:07
We all make mistakes of posting pics which were put on site by other users, we don`t do it intentionaly, I`ve done it once and had my fingers rattled, yet one or two of mine have been put up by some of the gang on SN, I don`t mind a bit, we all love seeing our old ships again even tho` they are posted by someone else, after saying that --Great photo of the old girl Lancastrian.
And as for you other guys who post other peoples pictures without asking permission be warned--Big Brother is watching you!!!!!!!!
Dave.

Virgo
7th April 2009, 22:42
We all make mistakes of posting pics which were put on site by other users, we don`t do it intentionaly, I`ve done it once and had my fingers rattled, yet one or two of mine have been put up by some of the gang on SN, I don`t mind a bit, we all love seeing our old ships again even tho` they are posted by someone else, after saying that --Great photo of the old girl Lancastrian.
And as for you other guys who post other peoples pictures without asking permission be warned--Big Brother is watching you!!!!!!!!
Dave.

Hi Dave.
This is a sensitive subject is it not? I am reasonably new to sites like this one but I have noticed how sensitive people are to their pictures being used by other people. I must say that I agree with you, I would be pleased that any of my pictures would be thought interesting enough that others would want to deseminate them. It has been said to me that if I do not want my pictures used by others then why put them on the net at all? I do try very hard NEVER to take credit for pictures not my own and always at least say that I have found them on the net. I am collecting pictures on different subjects and am building up quite a collection but how am I going to do this without upsetting SOMEONE? Wartime pictures are very interesting but I was not there to take them for Gods sake!
If everyone gets too sensitive will we not risk alienating other people and taking the fun out of the whole thing? I do agree though that it is polite to seek permission for genuine pictures that are obviously personal and not pictures that would be readily available.
Anyway this is only my humble opinion and if I have missed the point I apologise.
Regards to all.

P.S. That is a lovely boat you have Lancastrian.

CEYLON220
8th April 2009, 23:02

What is SFC collection Lancastrian, don`t be too hard on the guy he is new to the site and is unsure about posting pics from an album that he has collected over the years.

K urgess
8th April 2009, 23:18
The main thing is that if you have acquired a picture from somewhere, off the internet or from someone else in an email with no provenance, don't post it.
If you have an original print of a historic photograph and cannot find it for sale by the photographer or his copyright holder then, if you scan it yourself, it is acceptable to post. Any information as to origin such as copyright etc., on the back of the picture should be included in your description.
The other thing to remember is that it may be in the gallery already so that should be searched before posting anywhere on site.
Getting it wrong is not the end of the world. If anyone complains we will delete it or edit it to acknowledge the photographer if that's what they want.
The main idea of the gallery is for members to post their own photographs taken recently or while they were at sea. The other stuff is a bonus.
Cheers
Kris

AncientBrit
8th April 2009, 23:47
I think everyone has missed the point of Lancastrians posting.

"Hey Virgo, instead of reposting my pic, why not just put a link to it?
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...p/photo/111321"

As I read it, he is suggesting that it is far easier to post a link in the message to enable viewers to see a photo already within the SN Gallery, than it is to actually thumbnail the picture within the posting as Virgo did.
He gives an example in his posting. To do this you find the photo you need in the SN Gallery, having got the photo on your screen, go to the address bar at top of screen and copy the URL listed there, simply post this in your message, then readers who wish to see the picture can click on posted link and get the photo on screen. If you wish to list more than one URL, use the back/forward arrows.
Also, by using this link method, you remove any doubt about who posted the original photo within SN

Virgo
9th April 2009, 11:04
Thanks guys, I have got the message!

tony giles
4th May 2010, 11:03
boy seaman tony giles. served on hms albion, 1954. would like to contact any x members of crew that period.