Port Napier

Bob S
30th July 2004, 14:58
Seen in the lock to the “King George V” dock in London on the 15th October 1966, PORT NAPIER (47/11834) was the photograph that started my collection almost forty years ago.

Ian
30th July 2004, 20:18
Welcome to the site Bob,
Nice picture of the Port Napier.
I started my collection almost 50 years ago in Glasgow!
Some of the pics. I took with an old Brownie box camera may be seen at my personal web site at <mnnostalgia.com> although most are from SHIPS MONTHLY, with permission, of course!
Welcome aboard and hope to see many more of your 'shots of those great ships that used to be.
Ian
(Admin).

jim
10th October 2004, 06:16
Seen in the lock to the “King George V” dock in London on the 15th October 1966, PORT NAPIER (47/11834) was the photograph that started my collection almost forty years ago.

Great to see a photo of one of my old ships, I was the Engine Room Storekeeper on the Port Napier in 1952, a very good happy ship, like all the seven Port ships that I sailed on, what a pity that the Port Line no longer exists, it was a very good company to work for with such a fleet of beautiful well mantained ships.

jim
10th October 2004, 06:17

Great to see a photo of one of my old ships, I was the Engine Room Storekeeper on the Port Napier in 1952, a very good happy ship, like all the seven Port ships that I sailed on, what a pity that the Port Line no longer exists, it was a very good company to work for with such a fleet of beautiful well mantained ships.

doug rowland
24th August 2005, 21:57
Great photo,where was it taken from?.Guess the ship was inward bound as I joined her
whilst loading outbound about a month after this photo was taken. Agreat ship in every sense(she was amomgst the largest Port Line Ship at that time.) enjoyed a happy trip out to Australia then over to load in NZ and home via Panama, almost as good as a world cruise..and we got paid as well

Bob S
25th August 2005, 19:21
Hi doug,
Taken from the road bridge between lock & dock. The bridge is still there but sadly only aircraft using City Airport to be photographed (Fly)

Colwyn Grace
24th June 2006, 17:52
My first ship, joined her in Falmouth 13/10/1967,did two trips as Deck boy. Am still hooked on ships even after 27 years ashore.

mob30
7th November 2006, 18:19
Joined Port Napier in August 1947 whilst she was being finished off at Swan,Hunter's in Newcastle. At first lived on " Port Fremantle", (I think) going to Napier by trolley bus until such time as we could live on board. Captain was G.L.Hazlewood, Chief Officer H. Clinch, Bo'sun Paddy Burns. Apprentices Esmond Kay, Self, Kenneth Nicholls and Don Fuller.
I was on her for her maiden voyage, Newcastle, Antwerp, London. Then the Australian Coast, via Durban. Across to New Zealand spending Christmas and New Year at Napier which was marvellous- if a little boozy.
I stayed on her for two years, four trips in all and still have very happy memories of that time even though I have been ashore now for fifty years.

trevorrenison44
28th November 2006, 22:22
I sailed with you on that trip on the Napier Colwyn
Joined Falmouth 13/10/67 docked Liverpool 1/3/68.
I was Eng's ast steward I stayed on the Port Napier until I left the MN in 1970 to get married.
Trevor Renison Grimsby. Port Line 1963 - 1970

marteld
13th March 2007, 21:27
I sighned on 15 September 1960, Antwerp, after refit as J.O.S. out to Aus. and N.Z. signing off 26 March 1961 I allso sailed on the "Townsville" befor the "Napier" I live on Guernsey, and we at presenrt get some 70 cruise ships in the summer, so it keeps me well up to date., and includind all the new ones.

sailor63
14th March 2007, 20:09
Hi Colwyn, my name is Colin Knight, i was A.B. on that trip! You remember the "queers wedding"? we all sat on laundrey bags as pews, and john Grimes played the part of the vicar and read from a copy of the bosuns manual. cant recall the names of the happy couple tho lol. those were the days eh. I have been in touch with john, hes retired in kiwi, napier i think cheers, c.K.

trevorrenison44
26th April 2007, 20:53
Hi Colin, the gray matter is going a bit cannot remember the wedding, the Port Napier was a good happy ship thats why I stayed on her for two years. The trip we sailed together.The catering crew were.John Colon, Ch Std. -
Tom Dixon,( Dolly Dixon)2nd Std. - John Thompson, As Std - John Lockeart,(twiggy )As Std. - Billy Wilde,(TuesdayWilde) As Std - Derek Whyatt, As Std -
and me Trevor Renison Ast Std- The head Chef was Harry Hinton from Liverpool, and the second cook and baker was Ian Maclenan,from Stornaway.
I have a photo of them all in front of me- happy days ....Trevor....

Dave Spencer
7th May 2007, 15:53
I joined Port Napier from mothball in Falmouth October 69. Loaded in Liverpool for Aussie then light ship to Kaohsiung for scrap February 70. Great ship. Great crew. Sad end.

Port Line Lover
18th June 2007, 14:13
Did my 2nd voyage as a Deck Apprentice on the 'Napier', July to December 65. Very happy ship as I remember

Ballito
27th August 2007, 21:21
Sailed in Port Napier, to Kiwi ,64,as said before great ship,made one feel proud to be crew on board ,especially when you saw her at Timaru from the reservoir football ground ! My favourite ship I think

Vindi Phil
3rd October 2007, 10:33
I sighned on 15 September 1960, Antwerp, after refit as J.O.S. out to Aus. and N.Z. signing off 26 March 1961 I allso sailed on the "Townsville" befor the "Napier" I live on Guernsey, and we at presenrt get some 70 cruise ships in the summer, so it keeps me well up to date., and includind all the new ones.

What a surprise to read your entry as I was the S.O.S. on those dates on the Port Napier. I have often looked at the photos of you taken on the trip and wondered how you were. You may recall Jim Orritt and I "jumped" in Auckland but was returned to the ship in Opua three days later. I'd love to get in touch with you again.
Phil Hughes.

sandy1949
3rd November 2007, 22:43
joined port napier 1968 as deck boy and along with ron and dave
decorated the bar in which we had some fantastic nights

masthead
26th November 2007, 12:40
I was on the napier in sep 1964 great old afashion ship . had to carry meals to the poop in stacking trays. lovely big deck space

trevorrenison44
20th December 2007, 20:05
Hi Sandy, I have got about 15 photos of that trip 10 months 17 days, I'm looking at one now of all the deck crew having Xmas dinner in the decorated
maori bar you are sat next to Les May, London, and Eugean? Rutherford, liverpool. I will send you them if you get intouch by PM to exchange email addresses.
Best trip ever never stopped laughing all trip. take care ......Trevor ....

frankbutler
20th January 2010, 18:02
I was on the napier in sep 1964 great old afashion ship . had to carry meals to the poop in stacking trays. lovely big deck space

I was in the Napier from Feb;49 until Jan 51.my cabin mate was Frank Vickery,
known as Vic as we were both Frank. The boatswain was Ned Kelly a more irascible guy would be hard to meet.Mind you we put up with him for six voyages H/T & Fgn; along with one of the finest seamen I ever sailed with Hughie McNiven.I have a newspaper cutting from a Wellington Paper from that time which states "Thought to have the most refrigeration space of any ship in the world, the Port Napier now at Wellington has 574,380 cubic feet of cold storage space for Britains rations".One could buy at the meat works a whole lamb for what it now costs for 2 chops.There was no stacking trays go-ing aft in those days as we had our own Crew Cook in the after galley and often ate better than the saloon.A great ship!

Four Bells
21st January 2010, 10:30
I sailed with Hughie when he was Bosun on the Port Sydney 1970,I was first trip EDH,got the job from you Frank down the old office in the London Docks (was it KGV ?),cheers Norman.

doug rowland
16th February 2010, 21:42
A name from the past! Hughie MacNiven, a great bloke,first class seaman and damned good bosun. Sailed with him in Port Sydney 1965,66 and 1969.

Doug

Somerton
22nd March 2010, 13:48
That brought back memories? I sailed with Hughie Mc Niven in the Port Sydney in 1958.
At that time he was the lamptrimmer. M Mc Donald was the bosun. I was with C Mc Caskill on the Port Napier in 1959, He was the bosun then. The time I spent in Port Line
was the among the best times..

Alex. C

Phill maltby
25th September 2012, 13:12
I was on the last trip of the port Napier to scrap, it was one hell of an experience for a 16yr old, I was the galley boy, peeling spuds and washing pans, what a way to see some of the planet. Happy days

Dave Spencer
25th September 2012, 18:38
I was on that trip also Phill..It was a great trip..Been trying to remember some of the guys that were there...Sad end to a great ship...

Phill maltby
25th September 2012, 18:51
I was on that trip also Phill..It was a great trip..Been trying to remember some of the guys that were there...Sad end to a great ship...

Hi Dave, I joined the ship also in Falmouth, the first person I met was dougie the 2nd steward ,tommy who was the waiter. There was deck hand who was a prince Charles look alike. Myself and another deckie hung on to him around aus , we went to radio stations at most of the ports and the odd party. I seem to remember I sold a stack of mirrors that I got out of the state rooms on the way round it was a great trip. My e mail is p. maltby@hotmail.co.uk, your right it was a sad end

Phill maltby
25th September 2012, 19:07
Hi Dave, I joined in Falmouth, there was doug the2nd steward and tommy the waiter. A deck hand was a prince Charles look alike and myself and a young deckhand hung on to him around aus where we went to radio stations and the odd party. The 3rd engineer was a bit of a lad, he was a funny guy. There was a fair mix of people on that trip that's for sure, lots of gear went off that old girl before we got to scrap. Your dead right it was a sad end. My e mail is p.maltby@hotmail .co.uk, all the best phill

Hugh Ferguson
25th September 2012, 19:54
Unbeknown to me at the time, one of my neighbours turned out to be a niece of Captain Andy McClounan.
She did a bit of Shiatzou (she hits you) in her spare time and during one of these sessions she told me how she had inherited some of her uncle's possessions when he died.

He had been master of this fine ship, 2nd Sept. 1964 to 6th July 1965.
Andy kept a comprehensive log of his entire sea-going career which had been spent entirely in Port Line commencing Aug.1922.
Can I contribute anything to this thread which would be of interest?

One of the artefacts his niece gave me was this little match case.