How to find all the voyages made by a specific ship?

benjidog
20th February 2006, 14:48
I am researching RMS Morea and would like to catalog all her voyages. I have gathered a fair amount of information in dribs and drabs but it occurred to me that there could be a shortcut way of getting the lot from a single source that I have not investigated - maybe some kind of register.

Could I appeal to the wisdom of the membership and ask if anyone can tell me if there is a straightforward way of finding out all the voyages made by a specific ship.

Brian

jim barnes
20th February 2006, 14:51
No idea myself benji but maybe if you got intouch with the company if they are still around of course
JIM

tugboat142
20th February 2006, 15:21
Seems an unlikely place but genuine.
I have managed to get the list of eight voyages (ports of call) also contains any accidents on the voyage. All my foriegn going ships but not home trade.

If you E mail a list of ships, dates you require. as much info as you can to:
Name of Ship Name of Owners Start date and place of Voyage End Date and place of Voyage

Search.Guildhall@corpoflondon.gov.uk

telephone 020 7332 1854

There is usually a cover charge for copies of 5 or 6 pounds. but thats for all whether 1 or 10.

You will receive a reply and costing through the post.

Hope this helps
Regards
tugboat142
Gy

skymaster
20th February 2006, 17:17
Hi Tom just gave your site a try,I am located in Canada so hope they deal over hear.

Mike

Tmac1720
20th February 2006, 17:19
As far as I know, which is not a lot, all Royal Mail line vessel log books were deposited in the Public Record Office in Kew. They have a web site so I would hope they could at the very least confirm if they had the logs for the RMS Morea. Good luck in your research, it's a ruddy good question though.

John_F
20th February 2006, 17:52
Seems an unlikely place but genuine.
I have managed to get the list of eight voyages (ports of call) also contains any accidents on the voyage. All my foriegn going ships but not home trade.

If you E mail a list of ships, dates you require. as much info as you can to:
Name of Ship Name of Owners Start date and place of Voyage End Date and place of Voyage

Search.Guildhall@corpoflondon.gov.uk

telephone 020 7332 1854

There is usually a cover charge for copies of 5 or 6 pounds. but thats for all whether 1 or 10.
You will receive a reply and costing through the post.

Hope this helps
Regards
tugboat142
Gy
Brian,
What Tugboat has said is quite correct. However, you should note that The Guildhall only keeps the Voyage Record Cards (as they are known) between the years 1927 - 1975. I asked for all the ports of call of the 9 vessels over a period of 6 years that I served on between specific dates & they came up trumps very quickly. I was charged about 6.00 for this info.
Be aware that some of the destinations listed will be a bit "generalised". Liverpool could mean anywhere on the Mersey, for example.
Hope this is of some help.
Kind regards,
John.

benjidog
20th February 2006, 23:27
Thanks for all your replies folks.

I have received a particularly useful response from SN member Ron Stringer and reproduced it in a separate thread I have started on the Ships Research forum which will attempt to bring the various sources of information together in one thread as a reference point for others. I have added some of the other comments you have made in there as well.

Regards,

Brian

tugboat142
20th February 2006, 23:35
I agree with John F the ports of call are a bit "generalised". Various ports in the states Nofolk Va, Newport mews, Baltimore, etc. are collectively shown as Hampton roads.
I also feel they will deal worldwide, may cost a little more postage.
Great when you get them they revive all sorts of fond memories.
regards
tugboat142
GY

GY

skymaster
24th February 2006, 15:51
Tom,
I got a quick response from Guildhall,my request for 5 voyages is on the way.Great deal
8pd 50.I lived in Grimsby prior to coming to Canada,was NAAFI manager at RAF BINBROOK.

Mike

skymaster
7th March 2006, 15:27
Further to my last post I have now received my voyage ports lists.Now I do not have to guess were I went on each voyage.

Mike

glenn
8th March 2006, 19:02
Tom,
I got a quick response from Guildhall,my request for 5 voyages is on the way.Great deal
8pd 50.I lived in Grimsby prior to coming to Canada,was NAAFI manager at RAF BINBROOK.

Mike
My god half of GY is on here im a Meggie (Thumb)

baszley
3rd July 2011, 04:20
Hello,

I would like to inform that I just found the SS Saint Pancras wreck that sunk in 1895 in South China Sea. If anybodies knows about this steamship plese contact me.

Hugh Ferguson
3rd July 2011, 16:01
Try the Memorial University of Newfoundland. I got all the information I wanted when researching the book, The Surgeon's Log (A doctor's account of a voyage to Japan in 1907).