Quartermasters

skymaster
20th February 2006, 17:27
How many quartermasters did we carry on Brock ships?? I thought it was 4.

japottinger
20th February 2006, 18:25
On Manipur we had two "white" quartermasters.

R798780
20th February 2006, 18:53
3 "white" quartermasters on the ships I was on. As sprog on Maskeliya or Mawana with a defunct gyro I was made 4th quartermaster for two or three days til we got the gyro fixed. In the middle of that spell the QM on the wheel reported that he had 20 degrees of starboard helm on and the ship was swinging to port. According to the magnetic compass we were swinging to port, look out of the window and we were definitely swinging to starboard. A quick change over to the spare compass bowl and all was well again.

michael james
21st February 2006, 09:54
1958 the old Mathura carried 4 QM`s

mcook
21st February 2006, 13:37
We generally carried 3 QMs and a chippie. They had their own
accommodation area and a little mess room.
I wish I could remember their names, but I remember
it as an honour, as a first trip (Mangla)17 year old baby sparkie, being invited down
to their inner sanctum for a beer. I remember one of the QMs relating
his stories of being sunk 3 times during WW2, and how his pay was
stopped when the ship sank. No longer officially on articles!

malcolm

michael james
22nd February 2006, 00:00
On Mathura the QMs accomodation and mess room were together with Chippy and Gunners. They had a very competative cribbage school going in that mess and as with Malcolm above, the stories they related to us young, wet behind the ears, apprentices were facinating. One was an ex Bosun that had started his sea career as a boy in sail - I remember to this day he had hands the size of dinner plates but they were still able to put ships in bottles as a hobby. Great bunch they taught me a lot. Doubt very much if any are still with us. God Bless them.

japottinger
22nd February 2006, 10:20
Only names I recall are Hector and---Brown on Manipur. The lad Brown was from Edinburgh, when he went ashore to a pub he ordered a bottle of whiskey set on the table cowboy style, and Hector from Skye. He was built like a pocket herculus, and probably saved my life on Manipur. We had a full fridge cargo and lot of leaks of ammonia in our fridge plant and I was trying to coax the last drop out of a bottle on the rack in the alleyway which led on to their accommodation on the port side. As I bent down with my face a few inches away the supply pipe burst and I got the full force in my face. He was in his cabin close by and was alerted by the cloud of ammonia and smell and rushed out to find me staggering about choking.
He carried me out on the aft deck and held my face to the wind to clear my "tubes", luckily apart from scorching on my chest and an eye patch for a few days I was unharmed. Ammonia certainly clears the head, I can vouch for it!
Jim

R798780
22nd February 2006, 22:51
There are a few names I can remember, may fill a few gaps.

Murdo McKay, sober most of the trip if not teetotal, then I went down to the QM's alleyway, may have been approaching his birthday, and saw a stack of perhaps 20 cases of beer - Tennants of course - outside his cabin. Now there was a declaration of intent. Three or four mad days during which he did sort of keep his watches or at least arrived on the bridge at sometime during his watch. Then almost back to his temperance existance.

John (I think) Innes, a very big soft spoken chap from the Hebrides.

Robbie Robertson.

George Ayre (Middlesbrough man)

Fred Golding, Liverpool man and what a character.

Walter Riley (I think). When the ship was running low on beer he was rationed to 18 or 24 cans a day. Had been going through uop to 36 prior to rationing !!!!!! London man.

Malakand and the motor ships had Indian crew Seccunnies, I don't know about Mahanada or Maipura. Mahseer, Maskeliya, and Masirah-Mawana class had European QM's. If Manipur had white QM's that acounts for the black four.

Stevetorkington
25th April 2006, 16:37
Ships I sailed on which carried white quartermasters had four + a chippy. I remember a chap called hector from I think Stornoway.

Jim S
25th April 2006, 22:00
Mahanada had "white" quartermasters - On my first coastal trip with Brocks in October 1962 one of the QMs collapsed with heart attack on the afternoon 4 to 8 watch as we were heading up the River Elbe to Hamburg. The bridge requested "maximum revs, no notice" - I was the 5th (junior) on the 4 to 8 with John Hoy 2nd Eng. - It was all in vain as he died before reaching hospital. I cannot remember his name but I think he was from the Scottish Islands.

Jim S

Derek Roger
27th April 2006, 15:33
Maipura carried 3 QMs and a Chippy. Murdo Mc Kay from Skye ; Willie Mac Kenzie (who was also the ships Barber) and a big Cockney chap ( whose name escapes me )with huge hands which almost always were concealing a can of beer !
In port they did gangway watches and at sea not very much unless we had heavey weather .

roy quirk
29th May 2006, 22:30
On the Markhor 1957/58 there were 4 Q.M's all from the Scottish Isles.they were good at sailmakers,and made our swimming pool to fit within the timbers made and fitted by the chippy on the deck. They enjoyed a good argument while they were drinking.The fridge
expansion valves were opposite their cabins,which had to be adjusted regularly.On one 8to12 watch,every time I went up they were arguing about which was the highest lighthouse in the U.K!! By midnight, they were still at it,in very loud voices--- same argument!! They were good blokes to talk to,they spoke quite softly when they weren't drinking,with interesting tales to tell. I was told that they seldom made it home after they signed off,they never got further than Glasgow!!

Roger Bentley
8th September 2006, 18:34
Roger Bentley R536841 I was with Brocklebanks from 1954 to 1961, all the ships that had quartermasters that I sailed on had four. However, the Mathura (the old one) in 1956 had her accommodation deemed unfit for Europeans by I think the Union, so we sailed with four Asian QMs. Almost had a mutiny in Madras but that is another story. Regards, Roger Bentley Ex R/O

Masirah
11th September 2006, 09:11
On all the ships I served on (1957-1960), Masirah, Matra, Markhor, Maturata and Malakand we had four QM's, many of them from the scottish islands. As far as I recall they were amongst the most knowlegeable saliors I have ever had the pleasure to serve with. They were certainly heplful to this apprentice.

That went for the chippies who had to put up with a lot from apprentices who knew very little when it came to pratical sailoring. I remember in Matra the mate really did not know what to do with his three apprentices so assigned the to chippy for virtually the whole trip, apart from cleaning the bridge windows and the brass every morning that is. We learned a lot on that trip, but not from the mate.

Only Mandasor had secunnies but still had a european chippy.

While four was the normal complement I recall news that they were to be reduced to three towards the end of my time. Cost saving no doubt and once automatic steering took hold they were only needed in for arrivals and departures.

Derek Roger
12th September 2006, 16:10
Maipura carried 3 QMs and a Chippy. Murdo Mc Kay from Skye ; Willie Mac Kenzie (who was also the ships Barber) and a big Cockney chap ( whose name escapes me )with huge hands which almost always were concealing a can of beer !
In port they did gangway watches and at sea not very much unless we had heavey weather .

The Big Cockney was Charlie ??? He boasted the biggest Bar Bill In Brocks with 700 odd beers .
He claimed he did a lot of entertaining but I never saw him give anyone a beer . He would gladley take one if offered !

gwzm
12th September 2006, 17:01
The only ones I can remember for now were "King" Conning and Arthur ? Leask on Mahseer. I've never seen anyone do the Times crossword as fast as those two.

Malakand was the only Brocklebank ship I sailed on that didn't have an auto-pilot so there was always an Asian secunny on the wheel (unless I did a trick after the evening watch - very relaxing).

John/gwzm

A.G.Greenwood
13th September 2006, 09:44
Arthur Rouse was thye name you were lookling for. Lovely man.
Tony Greenwood

mahseer1
13th September 2006, 23:32
Arthur Rouse was thye name you were lookling for. Lovely man.
Tony Greenwood

Arthur was indeed a true gentleman and I think I was with him on the Masirah about 1962. He insisted on making duck-canvas carriers for my sextant box and Pye radio. His mate was Dai James and I remember them with great fondness - they were philosopers and tutors and I wish I could relive those years and learn more from them.

A.G.Greenwood
14th September 2006, 09:36
Hi Pete, I remember your face well. We did sail together one trip between 1957 and 1961. You were 3rd Mate, me a lowly deck apprentice or maybe 4/O if it was on the Maidan.
Tony Greenwood

S Fraser
14th September 2006, 18:46
Qm's in Brocks were all very professional seafarers in my experience, and all of them characters in their own right. Along with the chippie they probably taught the deck apprentices more about seafaring and ship knowledge than any deck officer. On one post I see about the QM on the Mahanada that died. I think that was a QM from the Outer Hebrides called Dougal Morrison.
I can't remember all of the QM's I came caross, but a few names spring to mind:-
Jim McGregor, Hughie Ross, Harry Dixon,--Ball, Jimmy Burke.
Chippies equally were all great guys. I sailed with Jim cameron on at least 3 different ships, but the person that was the the definative version of a chippie was Art Cubbins on the Maskeylia who died under sad circumstances about 1963 from lung cancer. He smoked Camels I remember!!
Stan

michael james
14th September 2006, 20:07
Qm's in Brocks were all very professional seafarers in my experience, and all of them characters in their own right. Along with the chippie they probably taught the deck apprentices more about seafaring and ship knowledge than any deck officer. On one post I see about the QM on the Mahanada that died. I think that was a QM from the Outer Hebrides called Dougal Morrison.
I can't remember all of the QM's I came caross, but a few names spring to mind:-
Jim McGregor, Hughie Ross, Harry Dixon,--Ball, Jimmy Burke.
Chippies equally were all great guys. I sailed with Jim cameron on at least 3 different ships, but the person that was the the definative version of a chippie was Art Cubbins on the Maskeylia who died under sad circumstances about 1963 from lung cancer. He smoked Camels I remember!!
Stan

Stan, I couldnt agree with you more, as I said in a former post, their experience was vast and with a little help from the amber nectar and the right circumstances they would teach us youngsters more in ten minutes than 6 months worth or correspondence course on seamanship. All I met were great guys. Mike J

Tony Selman
14th September 2006, 20:32
They were great even if you were not directly involved with them as obviously anyone on the navigating side was. As a Chota Marconi Sahib I spent quite a lot of time with the QM's and Chippy in their alleyway and they were great blokes to a man. Oddly enough I can remember the QM's and the Chippy on my first trips on Matra very well but I can't remember any QM's from any other Brock's ship that I was on. I spent a long time on Maturata but for the life of me I cannot remember any of the QM's on there, I suppose they might have been secunnies which would explain it. Can anyone else remember?

Tony Sprigings
3rd October 2006, 15:01
Talking of the 'old hands' anyone remember Chippy Glass? I sailed with him in 1944 on the old S.S. Masirah. He considered that all Aprentices should be able to box and fixed up a boxing ring on No 4 Hatch. We all knocked seven bells out of each other with him as referee!

R798780
3rd October 2006, 18:16
I spent a long time on Maturata but for the life of me I cannot remember any of the QM's on there, I suppose they might have been secunnies which would explain it. Can anyone else remember?

Tony
Maturata definitely had QMs, in '66 she was my first ship with QMs, my earlier trips on Malakand and Mahout were with secunnies. May have been John? Innes and Robbie Robertson, but that's really stretching the memory.

Tony Selman
3rd October 2006, 19:12
Hugh, those names don't ring a bell but to be fair I can't remember some of the names of people I spent months with on board and spent many hours with drinking in the bar - thinking about it that may have been the start of the problem!

noel grayson
7th October 2006, 22:20
Talking of the 'old hands' anyone remember Chippy Glass? I sailed with him in 1944 on the old S.S. Masirah. He considered that all Aprentices should be able to box and fixed up a boxing ring on No 4 Hatch. We all knocked seven bells out of each other with him as referee!

Hi Tony,

Yes, I remember Chippie Glass, a Glaswegian. He was on the maiden voyage of the Mahseer on my first trip to sea, and taught me a lot, but I don't remember the boxing!! Glad your are finding the site "captivating"

Roger Bentley
9th October 2006, 13:40
Here is a picture of one of the QMs on the above ships. I am not sure which one. I can see the edge of a bipod mast behind him. No doubt one of the experts will be able to identify which ship. Regards, Roger Bentley (K)

Derek Roger
9th October 2006, 15:29
Mahout had secunnies and Chinese deck and engine room fitters but had a UK Chippy . Chippy Morris was one of them and you can se apicture or two of him in my Gallery

Masirah
18th October 2006, 18:23
QM's on Masirah voy 2(sep 57 to Jan 58)

D Black
A Henderson
D MacLean
A MacQuarrie

All very good blokes and very helpful to a first trip apprentice. With one exception they were still there in Oct 59 when I rejoined. I can not remember who had retired, it wasn't D MacLean as he was still there in 60-61.

Michael.