Bank Line

sam2182sw
21st February 2006, 16:46
Bank line are to upgrade the four ships in the round the world service. and change there names. NO INFO ON WHAT THE NEW NAMES AER YET sam (Applause)

R58484956
21st February 2006, 16:58
New names Speybank =Mahinabank (tahiti) Teignbank = Boularibank (new caledonia)
Arunbank = Tikeibank (tuamouto) Foylebank =Gazellebank( papua new guinea)
Names in brackets is the part of the world where they are named after.

James_C
21st February 2006, 19:56
New names and refurbished, but no doubt the crew will still be all Russian, with almost all the Officers Russian (number of Brits in the fleet can be counted on one hand now, so I'm led to believe).

Pilot mac
22nd February 2006, 09:10
Gazellebank in NE lane this morning, bound Elbe.

Dave

sam2182sw
22nd February 2006, 21:11
well it get worse what aer BANK LINE thinking about with all the good names that bank line have to pick from . thanks for that info and yes you are wright about the crews on these ships JAMES i was well involved with these ships when thay came out and started trading to HULL i ran a ship repair yard here and the problums we had with the crew to get things done i just dont know how the bank line supers stud for it all you so working the late nights doing the pumping off the oil was what brits were left onboard you shud have seen the state of them i think a lot of them through there hands in and said thats it sam

cynter
31st March 2006, 13:18
Having served aboard a "Bank Boat" 1956-58.... I quite fancy a "busman's holiday"...
i.e. Picking up one in NZ/Aussie and spending 84 glorious days just chillin' out on one their round the world cargo cruises......... but...??? the thoughts of spending all that time in the company of Russian shipmates... no thanks.!!!
'Twould be great to sail under the conditions that existed way back then...
The Bank-Boat I sailed on was the Tielbank (a crappy, rusty old Sam-boat.... but, by god we had a lotta fun. I'd willingly spend my $A8,000+ for the privledge.

macjack
31st March 2006, 16:47
You maybe interested to view the following blog written and regularly updated by Chris Dare.
http://dareatsea.blogspot.com/ a first trip apprentice. Having joined the ARUNBANK in November you can follow his travels,thoughts,and duties. They have just left Singapore homeward bound but now after major refit and renamed TIKEIBANK
Regards,
Mac.

Keithouteast
31st March 2006, 17:04
I was on the" round the world" service, only I had absolutely no idea that it was a round the world "service" untill I fell for that adverrt they used to run in the "Telegrapgh" in the seventies. The one that had all the little dots all over the globe giving the names of the fourty odd ships and what they where loading and where they where going. Looked very enticing at the time. The Bank line of the eighties and nineties seems like another world to me. Ah well never mind! Oh by the way, Sam from Hull with the ship reparing business, I'm from Greatfeield Estate. Hows things then ? .

sam2182sw
7th April 2006, 15:30
hi keithouteast recived your massage where about are you from in HULL things are ok here where areyou out east. we have a bank boat in HULL now and she is sailing to night.what ship are you on sam

hawkey01
7th April 2006, 16:30
Afternoon Macjack, had a look at that web site. Very good and made me feel very nostalgic. I remember the nickel works in Noumea very well. We loaded nickel ore in Noumea but we were sent packing up the coast to a bay,where we anchored and waited for the barges to come out to us. Did a lot of shark fishing!! Like the bit about listening to the alarms for incoming messages! However somethings dont change, running out of beer etc.
Regards
Hawkey01 (Fly)

Orbitaman
8th October 2007, 16:17
New owners = new names. Bank line was sold to Swires in 2005 and so the new names reflect the new owners far eastern trading area. Even the Russians have had their day on these ships -or at least the crew who are now all Filipinos. The reason the Russians were there in the first place was down to the contract when the ships were bought from FESCO which required the russians to be kept on for a number of years after the sale.

My last trip deep sea was on the Arunbank. The russian crew were a mixed bunch, some excellent, some average and some a waste of space. Language was the biggest problem. The Deck fitter spoke not a owrd of english so every job had to be passed through the bosun, whose english could best be described as average - to the extent that when I wrote his appraisal at the end of the trip he complained that when the Chippy had read it too him it had said that he needed to improve his written english skills - I rst my case.

David Wilcockson
9th October 2007, 13:03
Hawkeye01
I think the bay you went to was Port La Guerre, as I was on a vessel that loaded nickel ore there for Japan back in August 1967.
David