British Patriot 1958

Arthur Paternoster
21st February 2006, 16:12
I sailed on the BT Tanker British Patriot from 20th January to 12th August 1958 as a galley boy, I can still remember most of the crews names. Are there any more of you out there?

Arthur Paternoster
24th February 2006, 18:48
Haven't heard from crew of 58 yet, surely I can't be the sole survivor, it was only 48 years ago. Blimey is it that long perhaps I am on my own. Someone must know someone. I'm waiting

Graham Wallace
22nd May 2006, 06:08
Haven't heard from crew of 58 yet, surely I can't be the sole survivor, it was only 48 years ago. Blimey is it that long perhaps I am on my own. Someone must know someone. I'm waiting

I know two who sailed on her 58/59, Mike Friend Nav App and Chris Smith 2/E

Graham Wallace

Seemore
22nd May 2006, 08:24
Hi Arthur I sailed on her in 1960, the only names I can remember was the skipper called Fraser and asst steward called Taylor.. I would like to mention, on our way to Austin in Texas near to the Azores we picked up a commercial pilot who ditched the light aircraft he was supposed to deliver to the Continent, seemingly he ran out of gas, finished up dropping him off in the states. may be it might jog some memories out there.
Seemore

mike pen
25th June 2008, 19:47

hi arthur, bit of aq long shot,my mate was 19 years with bp not sure if he was on the patriot,but fifties and sixties,on the beacon,engineer,lady to name but three,he is going to send me a list of them all,his name was bob whitford,as leccy.mike(Thumb)

symondson
27th June 2015, 08:35
I also sailed on that voyage, I was assistant cook, signed on at Tilbury Pool, signed off in Newcastle 13th August.
Long tiome ago now!!

Graham Wallace
30th June 2015, 23:54
Hi Arthur I sailed on her in 1960 the only names I can remember was the skipper called Fraser and asst steward called Taylor.. I would like to mention, on our way to Austin in Texas near to the Azores we picked up a commercial pilot who ditched the light aircraft he was supposed to deliver to the Continent, seemingly he ran out of gas, finished up dropping him off in the states. may be it might jog some memories out there.
Seemore

I have a 'crew' list for the Patriot leaving Drydock between June /July 1960; Master (A Frazer) down to Donkeyman (ES Bell). Ass Stewards not listed but Chief Stew (OT Smith), 2nd Stew (F O'Neill) and two Cooks (PS Humble & RO Morris). Bosun was J Spence, Chippy GA Clarke.

The Mate was EW Twemlowe. 2M ME Bourne, 3M's RC Johnston & BS Hughes. RO was BP Purdon.

I know her 3rd Eng George Munn and one JE R Summerson. There were 4 Nav Apps and 4 Eng Apps, all names listed.

Ring any more bells?

Graham

Graham Wallace
30th June 2015, 23:58
I also sailed on that voyage, I was assistant cook, signed on at Tilbury Pool, signed off in Newcastle 13th August.
Long tiome ago now!!

You must recognise those Catering Staff names in my previous post. Unfortunately BP did not include your name as Assistant Cook.

You joined her in Drydock june/July 1960?

Graham

Graham Wallace
1st July 2015, 00:15
hi arthur, bit of aq long shot,my mate was 19 years with bp not sure if he was on the patriot,but fifties and sixties,on the beacon,engineer,lady to name but three,he is going to send me a list of them all,his name was bob whitford,as leccy.mike(Thumb)

Mike,

I'm still in the throes of completing a database of BP Leckies 1960/85+.

ER Whitford is listed at #544, with the following ship (I have full crew lists for the 3), Builder 9/60, Crown 11/64 ( two years before she was destroyed in explosion and fire at Umm Said) and Signal 6/65

I know a few people he sailed with on those ships.

Get him to email me or send me his email address (see my SN profile), I will send him a copy of the Lecky database and more

Graham

symondson
1st July 2015, 07:16
You must recognise those Catering Staff names in my previous post. Unfortunately BP did not include your name as Assistant Cook.

You joined her in Drydock june/July 1960?

Graham

I actually joined her at the Isle of Grain, on the 18th Jan 1958, 2 years before the date you refer to

Mike

symondson
1st July 2015, 07:24

Hi Mike,
No you are not alone! My discharge book says I was on the Patriot on the dates from 18th Jan to the 13th August 1958, but my memory can not conjure up any names, seem to remember the cook came from Avonmouth.

symondson
3rd July 2015, 16:08

Arthur, If you would like to contact me, as I was on that same ship at the same time!! I was signed as assistant cook.