Ceramic

Billy Brown
22nd February 2006, 18:05
I was on Ceramic from 18/7/70-22/12/70. Deck Boy. I was sixteen y/o and going to the other side of the world and getting paid for it! I have family in NZ that I had never seen until this trip and the lads telling me about the delights of the Kiwi coast. Even now all these years later I couldn't begin to tell you how excited I was.
On my previous ship I was the Peggy but on this one they had a messman so no more waiting on the AB's and cleaning the mess for me , I was in seventh heaven.
I was a dayworker under the watchfull eye of a fine man by the name of John McCleod, from Stornoway. The Bosun's name was Jimmy Tulloch, from the northern isles.
We carried six stud horses on the after welldeck and a groom to look after them. During the Panama to Wellington stage of the trip we shipped a huge wave onto the after welldeck and two of the horse boxes got smashed to bits and the two homeless horses running around tha deck they both suffered minor injuries but were otherwise OK.
Our first port was Wellington we unloaded the horses ourselves at the passenger ship berth , dockers on strike, for which we were hansomely paid and then moved over to Aotea wharf and stayed there for a month!!Fortunately I was allowed to go to see my relations Friday PM to Monday PM and so didn't sub all my wages ,like the others who were in debt by the time we left Welly. I could go on and on about this trip but I'll save it for another time.
Oh, by the way , does anyone have a decent photo of this ship?

jim barnes
22nd February 2006, 18:40
Welcome Billy great story,, how about a bit of profile about you??? (Hippy)

nigelcollett
23rd February 2006, 15:12
Hi Billy

'fraid it not a very good reproduction

I can probably let you have a better quality if you let me have your Email address via PM

Regards

NigelC

ruud
23rd February 2006, 16:54
Ahoy Billy,

Maybe this one? Found the piccie in one of my "unknown files".

gdynia
23rd February 2006, 16:58
Aye Ruud unfortunately they dont build them like that these days very elegant Lady. Its also bloody boiling down here 42 degrees at present.

ruud
23rd February 2006, 17:56
Ahoy,
You lucky lad,send us some of that heat, cos here the temp. is about 1* and that feels like -3* outside with a cold ENE wind,the forecast is even is worse, more cold to come.

Billy Brown
23rd February 2006, 18:23
Thank You all for your generous and speedy replies. (Applause)

calumthomson
23rd February 2006, 19:12
Re - Ceramic. (Above )
I was very interested in seeing the photo of the Ceramic as I sailed on her as a green 18 year old in 1949 and did 3 voyages in her, two to Aust?NZ via Cape and one to NZ via Panama. She was only a year old then.

Ceramic (2) was built in 1948 by Cammell Laird of Birkenhead. Her sisters were the Athenic (2), Corinthic (2) and Gothic (2). She was scrapped in Belgium in 1972. Her sisters all lost their passenger accommodation, but Ceramic retained hers to the end. She had carried 100 First Class Passengers at the beginning of her life at least.
The last time I saw her was in Auckland 1954 when she was painted all white as was the Gothic, and the one which was placed more conveniently would be chosen as the Royal Yacht to carry the Queen and Prince Philip to the Antipodies in about 1953/54 . She carried general cargo out and frozen
cargo i.e New Zealand Lamb/ Butter etc home. I served in Shaw Savill from 1949 to 1954 when I joined Ellerman Lines.
I always had happy memories of the Ceramic and was pleased a few years ago to see a past photo of her on television loading in King George Dock London
Regards,
Calum

brandane
6th March 2006, 03:08
Hi Billy,

Good to read of your times on Ceramic - I sailed only once on Ceramic on a coastal Liverpool to London early August 1968 as crew Purser. I recall vividly the day I arrived at Lime Street Station and all the newsagents bill boards headlines Shaw Savill's Gothic on fire in South Pacific - this the very day, I was joining her sister Ceramic at Husskison Docks. Of course by 1968 - there was no passengers and passenger accommodation being utilised by the crew. I was fortunate in having a former first class cabin - the most luxurious cabin I ever had at sea. My brief assignment to Ceramic was extended somewhat by a dockers strike and it was good to get to know some of the crew, and share a few ales! My memory of shipmate names has long gone but my discharge book tells me Captain Hopkins was the Master!
For photos of the company ships - have a look at www.shawsavillships.co.uk
its a great website - for a once great Company.
Jamie Shedden
Shaw Savill Society
NZ Branch Treasurer

R.Philip Griffin
27th January 2007, 01:38
Ahoy,
You lucky lad,send us some of that heat, cos here the temp. is about 1* and that feels like -3* outside with a cold ENE wind,the forecast is even is worse, more cold to come.

Ahoy Ruud, to make a degree sign [] press the Alt key and press 2;4;8; hope this helps.

hootsmon
4th April 2007, 17:44
Hi Brandane, I joined the Ceramic straight from Gravesend as galley boy in the early seventies and was given the "x" chief fridges cabin and remember the spud peeler broke down half-way to Australia and having to peel by hand enough for a crew of over eighty. (great memories). all the best hootsmon

grant1
10th June 2007, 16:28
Joined Ceramic in Panama as DBS,having paid off Shell tanker Platidia
with a damaged hand. Spent a week in Coca Sola hospital,and then two weeks in an American army camp waiting for a ship. I must say that army camp was the best feeder Ihad ever been on.

Junior
25th February 2008, 00:24
Hi Billy

I have just joined S/N and saw your request for a picture of the ceramic. Here is one taken on the deck in April 1966 we were about three days out of London bound for the Panama Canal. I was a junior Engineer on that trip.

Junior

GWB
25th February 2008, 00:54
Hi Billy,
As a junior engineer the Ceramic was the first ship I stood generator watch in Albert dock. There is a good photo of her in a book New zealand Maritime Images complied by Emmanuel Makarios available for Transpress in New Zealand contact Geoff Churchman at transpress@paradise.net.nz this is a great book for guys who sailed to Kiwi. Temp in Brisbane 33 degrees

R58484956
25th February 2008, 13:19
Greetings Junior and a warm welcome to SN. Plenty of us ex engineers on board. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

adrianvare
20th February 2010, 01:59
Hi Brandane, I joined the Ceramic straight from Gravesend as galley boy in the early seventies and was given the "x" chief fridges cabin and remember the spud peeler broke down half-way to Australia and having to peel by hand enough for a crew of over eighty. (great memories). all the best hootsmonim sure i was on there with ya ..remember the lad sitting outside the gally peeling spuds

stores
20th February 2010, 10:06
hi i joined ceramic in dec 1966 , the trip we picked up sir john christian from pitcairn island to auckland for cataract operation, then back on return voyage,

TOMSPARROW
24th February 2010, 23:35
I Sailed On The Ceramic On Her Last Trip To Cape Town, Discharge In Gotenburg Then To Scrap In Antwerp. Wonderful Sea Ship And Great Accomadation ,i Had A Proper Brass Bed With A Seperate Bath And Shower.was A Junior Engineer. Remember A Lot Of Ships Spares And Stores Were Sold Every Afternoon When The Master And Chief Went Ashore In Gotenburg. Plenty Of Free Piss. Tom

Junior
19th February 2011, 21:45
HI All
Here's a picture of the Ceramic leaving Pitcairn Island April/May 1966.

Junior