Raphael 1968

jaigee
22nd February 2006, 18:36
If anybody is interested, I have started to post scans taken from my old slides, as and when I process them.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5363

Nearly all are from a trip on the Raphael in early 1968, plus there are a few from a trip on the Debrett in 1959, although these are not that interesting.

I look foward to your comments and corrections!

Jeff Gath
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=4641

Santos
22nd February 2006, 21:21
Hi Jeff,

I was on Raphael as a cadet from 1965 to 1967. I recognise the Leccy, but his name fails me at the moment. If I remember correctly he was an ex Liverpoool Policeman.

Was Captain Williams still in Command, and Mr Duncan Chief Steward. Neville Pearson was the Chief Engineer and Mike Cawood Chief Officer.

Great pictures, I have a couple of colour slides somewhere, I will have to dig them out.

Kind regards

Chris Allman.

jaigee
23rd February 2006, 10:36
Hi Jeff,

I was on Raphael as a cadet from 1965 to 1967. I recognise the Leccy, but his name fails me at the moment. If I remember correctly he was an ex Liverpoool Policeman.

Was Captain Williams still in Command, and Mr Duncan Chief Steward. Neville Pearson was the Chief Engineer and Mike Cawood Chief Officer.

Great pictures, I have a couple of colour slides somewhere, I will have to dig them out.

Kind regards

Chris Allman.

Hi Chris,

I must have just missed you, both cadets at the time are in the photographs.

My memory on the names is a bit hazy (It's a shame when you get like this!) and I only seem to have first names on the photographs, but the Captain certainly was Williams, and Neville Pearson the Chief Engineer, not that we seen much of him. I do recall that the Leccy was an ex-policeman, he never went ashore much.

I will try to dig out some more slides today.

ATB

Jeff

georged
23rd February 2006, 19:20
Hi Jeff

Enjoyed your photos, had a good laugh at the menus.
Was on the Raphael 1963-4 as a carefree third mate, so the pictures of accommodation etc. brought back memories.
I seem to remember one of the chief stewards I sailed with in L+H telling me that the menus had to saved and available for inspection at the end of the trip in Liverpool.
Hence why they always looked a lot fancier than the actual food.
Look forward to more of the same. I think the chief engineer is the only person who
was on board at the same time as me, although it may have been on one of the other ships.

georged

Santos
23rd February 2006, 19:26
Hi Jeff and Georged,

I went from the Raphael to the Sheridan out on the Amererican coast as Third mate. Great time with Captain Wilson. Tim Abbott was second mate.

Great run out there especially up the Amazon and around the West Indies.

Chris

tell
24th February 2006, 01:15
J G I was on the Raphael in 1955, all I can remember is she was a happy ship, not a bad feeder and a good crowd , what I'd give to be able to do another trip today,Ah well that's nostalgia

John Mepham
18th November 2006, 16:36
Hi Jeff.
Great photo's of your time on the Raphael, I must have just missed you,
I was 5th then 4th engr. on her back end of 1967 to 1968.
I certainly remember Steve the cadet, we were quite good friends, but the
thing that really stands out in my memory is the crappy typewriter they
used to type the menues
Cheers.

jaigee
20th November 2006, 10:55
Hi Jeff.
Great photo's of your time on the Raphael, I must have just missed you,
I was 5th then 4th engr. on her back end of 1967 to 1968.
I certainly remember Steve the cadet, we were quite good friends, but the
thing that really stands out in my memory is the crappy typewriter they
used to type the menues
Cheers.

Hi John,

You must have been on her previous trip. I suppose you have seen my photographs of the dreaded menus and the one of Steve giving the 5th a haircut. Alan Jones, the Leccy, is looking on, he would have been with you as well.

Jeff

John Mepham
20th November 2006, 16:16
Hi Jeff,
That's right Alan Jones was the Leccy , I remember on one trip he used to roll
his own cigarettes ( he didn't smoke ) just to show he could do it !.
I hope Steve made a better officer than he did a barber !!!.
Shame you can't remember the 5th engrs. name, I was wondering if he was a junior
on the previous trip, there was one called Garry from Rochdale, he wore glasses,
I don't seem to recognise his face, but I'll bet his mother wouldn't with that haircut.

John.

jaigee
27th November 2006, 09:38
Shame you can't remember the 5th engrs. name, I was wondering if he was a junior
on the previous trip, there was one called Garry from Rochdale, he wore glasses,
I don't seem to recognise his face, but I'll bet his mother wouldn't with that haircut. John.

John, I believe it was his first trip on the Raphael. I distinctly remember the 2nd not getting on with him too well though.

PEARCAY
6th February 2007, 10:55
2. POLA RIKA / RAPHAEL: SITTING IN FRONT OF ME IS THE SHIPS BELL.I BROUGHT IT BACK FROM LAGOS NIGERIA ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO. THE VESSELS OWNERS WENT BANKRUPT AND THE SHIP WAS LEFT IN LAGOS ROADS UNMANNED- THE CAPTAIN OFFERED ME THE SHIPS BELL AS THANKS FOR MY HELP (AS CHARTERER OF VESSEL)- THE VESSEL HAS EITHER SUNK SINCE THEN OR HAS BEEN BROKEN-UP LOCALLY. I CAN WRITE THE FULL-STORY IF NEED BE. HOPE THIS IS OF INTEREST. CHRISTOPHER PHILLIPS:

email address removed from public display for security reasons - Gulpers

jaigee
7th February 2007, 09:48
2. POLA RIKA / RAPHAEL: SITTING IN FRONT OF ME IS THE SHIPS BELL.I BROUGHT IT BACK FROM LAGOS NIGERIA ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO. THE VESSELS OWNERS WENT BANKRUPT AND THE SHIP WAS LEFT IN LAGOS ROADS UNMANNED- THE CAPTAIN OFFERED ME THE SHIPS BELL AS THANKS FOR MY HELP (AS CHARTERER OF VESSEL)- THE VESSEL HAS EITHER SUNK SINCE THEN OR HAS BEEN BROKEN-UP LOCALLY. I CAN WRITE THE FULL-STORY IF NEED BE. HOPE THIS IS OF INTEREST. CHRISTOPHER PHILLIPS:

I for one would certainly look forward to reading the story. I think this would apply to others as well as she held a lot of happy memories to many members of this site. After Lamports information on her is scarce, to say the least.

Santos
7th February 2007, 14:21
Hear hear, I would love to hear what happened to her, sad as it may be. She was my favourite ship and will always be dear to my heart. Polished that bell many many times I can tell you, look after it.

Chris.

cobie
20th February 2007, 15:38
Hi Jeff and Georged,

I went from the Raphael to the Sheridan out on the Amererican coast as Third mate. Great time with Captain Wilson. Tim Abbott was second mate.

Great run out there especially up the Amazon and around the West Indies.

Chris
Hi Chris, my names Jim Cockburn and I did the same as you. Cadet on Raphael for 2 years or so, then on to the Sheridan in NY Brought her back to South Shields, where they lengthed her. Raphael from '61 to '63. Sheridan '64

Santos
20th February 2007, 20:00
Hi Chris, my names Jim Cockburn and I did the same as you. Cadet on Raphael for 2 years or so, then on to the Sheridan in NY Brought her back to South Shields, where they lengthed her. Raphael from '61 to '63. Sheridan '64

Hi Jim,

Small world isnt it. Loved both those ships, Sheridan was a lovely little ship and just right to start off as Third Mate. I broought her back to Le Havre where she was taken over by Booth, sad day, went on to join the Rossini, and a trip to the Middle east, but thats another story.

Kind regards

Chris.

georged
21st February 2007, 20:09
Jim,

I was third mate on the Raphael 63-64, which must have been around the same time as yourself. Only cadet I remember is Ted Ling (at least I think that was his name) We planned to spend a leave in Sweden, as at that time Sweden had a reputation of being somewhat different from the UK in respect of the attitude of the girls, but like a lot of plans hatched at sea it never came to pass.
The second mate for part of the time I was there was an Angus Murchie who got engaged in BA to a doctor's daughter. The father worked for Vestey, and got Angus a job as a cattle buyer for Vestey, although I don't think Angus knew one end of a cow from the other. Nice girl who said her friends would like to meet us, but Angus would not let us near them.

Georged

cobie
22nd February 2007, 01:03
Hi George,
I'm sorry I don't remember you, although if I jiggle your memory, you might remember me. I was the goofy one[cadet] with two fingers missing [which I lost on the DEVIS] I think his name was "Johnnie Lin" I certainly remember Angus. I've often wondered what happened to him. I lived in Dunbar and he in Edinburgh, so we travelled together sometimes. I'm going to look to see if I've any old pics and will contact you. She was a lot younger than Angus and that really intrigued me[ at the time ]
Bye for now, Jim

cobie
26th February 2007, 23:08
Hi Georged, here's a couple of pics. You may recognise some one. jim

John Mepham
28th February 2009, 16:55
Pearcay - Did you ever get around to writing the story of the Raphael.
I have some very happy memories of my trip on her as I am sure a lot of
others do.
A very happy ship

K urgess
28th February 2009, 17:10
You may have a long wait for a reply, John. (Sad)
Pearcay hasn't been back for two years.
Apart from Santos, who I sailed with on the Raphael, we all seem to have followed each other on her.
A happy ship indeed. (Thumb)
Cheers
Kris

John Mepham
2nd March 2009, 17:30
John, I believe it was his first trip on the Raphael. I distinctly remember the 2nd not getting on with him too well though.

The 2nd engr. wasn't Ben Smith was it ?, he was from Dublin, a really nice
bloke if you got to know him, unfortunatley if you didn't you were likely to finnish up with at least a black eye.
Last time I saw him was when I paid off in Cardiff, Xmas ( 1967 ) we spent
Christmas eve with a bottle of Bacardi ( bought in BA ) and no coke or any
other mixers, result burnt and swollen lips Christmas morning.
Good old times eh.
Fond memories of the Raphael ( and the Ronsard ) good ships and great
shipmates, had some really good laughs.

jaigee
2nd March 2009, 18:25
The Second at the time was Dick (?), a New Zealander. It was his first trip on the Raphael and was an Acting Second. If I remember correctly, all the Engineers, except for the Chief, were first timers. Must have been a bad previous trip!

Photograph of him here:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/17677/ppuser/5363

blurb10
13th March 2009, 14:43
sailed on raphael as jnr eng 1957 capt griffiths c/eng rutherford best ship i served on

John Mepham
16th April 2009, 16:34
sailed on raphael as jnr eng 1957 capt griffiths c/eng rutherford best ship i served on

Hi Blurb,
The Raphael must have been the best ship in the L & H fleet judging by the
amount of memories that have been put on here.
Did you do only the one trip on her ?, I spent most of my time with L & H on
the Ronsard which was the Raphaels sister ship, about the only difference
was the wooden " garden shed" on top of Ronsards bridge.
I was on her from Oct 67 to Jan 68 as 4th eng.
There was a jnr engr called Garry from Rochdale who sold just about every
thing he owned in Santos so he could keep going ashore.
John.

jaigee
13th May 2009, 18:27
I have finally got round to posting my short Standard 8 film of the Raphael in 1968. Because of upload limits I have split it into two parts. The first is solely the Raphael, whilst the other is at Rio and out and about ashore.

Only the first part is uploaded at present: http://www.shipsnostalgia.tv/members/action/viewvideo/1399/

I will upload the other part ASAP and post to confirm.

P.S. I described part one as a trip from Dublin to Rio when I think it should actually be vice-versa judging by the hardwood deck cargo? Forty one years have dulled the memory somewhat!

UPDATE: Second part now uploaded: http://www.shipsnostalgia.tv/members/action/viewvideo/1401/Raphael_Rio_1968/

Santos
13th May 2009, 18:51
Hey jaigee,

Many thanks for that film it brought back great memories of Raphael, I would'nt mid 1 for every time I have polished that whistle.

Thanks again

Chris.

K urgess
13th May 2009, 23:09
I'll take the same money for each time it made me jump out of my skin while trying to get some kip.
Very nostalgic film, thanks for that, jaigee.

Cheers
Kris

jaigee
14th May 2009, 09:38
Many thanks Chris & Kris.

The second part is now uploaded, I hope this will bring back more memories. (Thumb)

http://www.shipsnostalgia.tv/members/action/viewvideo/1401/Raphael_Rio_1968/

Jeff

K urgess
14th May 2009, 10:41
Missed out on Rio twice, Jeff. (Sad)
It wasn't on the itinerary on my trips on Raphael.
Nice to see Cyril in his safety "Jesus" sandals. [=P]
I'll have to tell him he's a film star if I see him. He lives about 10 miles away.
Cheers
Kris

Santos
14th May 2009, 14:14
Oh Yeah Cyril in his sandals - must admit the trip up the Sugar Loaf brought back memories of my 1st trip, on the Rubens, we called into Rio and we went up the Sugar Loaf and also swan and sunbathed on the Copacabana beach. I could not believe what I was doing and getting paid to do it. Great days.

Chris.

John Mepham
9th September 2009, 18:08
Well done with the film Jaigee, just the sight of that blue white and black
funnel takes you back over 40 years.
I used to have a cine camera in those days, and like an idiot, never bothered
taking it anywhere.
Never got to Rio, always BA, Santos, Monte, El Salvador ,( the usual run ).
I did put photo's in the gallery of both Raphael and Ronsard .
What good ships they both were.

jaigee
11th September 2009, 08:53
Thanks John, luckily I was into cine at that time.

jaigee
12th November 2009, 08:53
Did anyone notice the shot of the Raphael in the 'Time Shift' programme 'The Men Who Built The Liners' last night?

She was moored in the background on a short clip of which appeared to be a Harrison boat being towed across a basin. I recognised her immediately and tracked back and paused just to make sure.

I have no idea where the location was though but as the programme was virtually all about the Clyde I would assume it was somewhere there. Or could have been the fitting-out basin at Bartrams, as she looked pristine. Perhaps someone can can locate by identifying the tug in the shot?

The programme is available to watch or download here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nnm7k

The clip is at 28:38 mins:secs.

maeken
13th April 2011, 20:39
Hi Jeff,
That's right Alan Jones was the Leccy , I remember on one trip he used to roll
his own cigarettes ( he didn't smoke ) just to show he could do it !.
I hope Steve made a better officer than he did a barber !!!.
I don't seem to recognise his face, but I'll bet his mother wouldn't with that haircut.

John.
hi john, i was a junior engineer on raphael at the same time as garry from rochdale, i am frank carroll (and i wore glasses)
cheers. frank

James A Stuart
11th April 2012, 04:50
If anybody is interested, I have started to post scans taken from my old slides, as and when I process them.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5363

Nearly all are from a trip on the Raphael in early 1968, plus there are a few from a trip on the Debrett in 1959, although these are not that interesting.

I look foward to your comments and corrections!

Jeff Gath
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=4641

Hi Jeff, Just discovered this web site and was astounded to see myself in a bosun's chair applying white lead and tallow to the mast stays/shrouds. My name is Tony Stuart, I was a 19 year old EDH at the time and had no idea we were being filmed (for posterity)

We left Liverpool on the 19/2/68 first stop El Ferrel then La Corruna in Northern Spain. Next stop Las Palmas for Bunkers then non stop to Recife. I remember we went down as far as Porto Alegre then back up the coast again.(Ports;- Rio Grande Do Sul, San Francisco Do Sul, Maceo, Santos, Rio and maybe others. Dublin was on the return leg of the voyage for a day or two, then paid off in Liverpool 21/5/68. Master was W. Williams. I dont remember any other names but recognise the Donkeyman poseur as though it were yesterday.
Best wishes James A Stuart (Tony)

jaigee
11th April 2012, 11:46
Hi Jeff, Just discovered this web site and was astounded to see myself in a bosun's chair applying white lead and tallow to the mast stays/shrouds. My name is Tony Stuart, I was a 19 year old EDH at the time and had no idea we were being filmed (for posterity)

We left Liverpool on the 19/2/68 first stop El Ferrel then La Corruna in Northern Spain. Next stop Las Palmas for Bunkers then non stop to Recife. I remember we went down as far as Porto Alegre then back up the coast again.(Ports;- Rio Grande Do Sul, San Francisco Do Sul, Maceo, Santos, Rio and maybe others. Dublin was on the return leg of the voyage for a day or two, then paid off in Liverpool 21/5/68. Master was W. Williams. I dont remember any other names but recognise the Donkeyman poseur as though it were yesterday.
Best wishes James A Stuart (Tony)

Amazing what can happen, there you are browsing the internet and suddenly there is some film of you forty odd years ago! (EEK)
I had just got the camera and cine and couldn't snapping and filming!
Certainly was a good run and time and a happy ship to boot. As many others say on this site, I can't believe they paid us for going! Not that we had much left after all those ports.
I certainly remember you Tony, and most of the young deck crowd as well, also remember the Donkeyman clearly, he was a larger than life Scouser.
I bet you are boring everybody to death now showing them the film and photographs!
ATB
Jeff
P.S. Have sent you a PM.