Cayo Bonito

Rhiw.com
22nd February 2006, 20:35
I wonder if anyone can help me with the sinking of the S S CAYO BONITO, or could be the KAYO BONITO in October 11th 1917, I say it could be either of these names. Two local men from the same village lost their lives on her, on one memorial the spelling is C, and on the other K, all our efforts have drawn a blank, we think she was registered in London, Regards Tony.

ruud
22nd February 2006, 20:54
Ahoy.

I would say Cayo with a C, if this is the one you're looking for:

Caledonier (1)1901
ex- CAYO BONITO,
1916 purchased by BGL, London from Cuban SS Co. (E. Bigland & Co.),
London renamed CALEDONIER,
1917 name reverted to CAYO BONITO, same owner.
11th Oct.1917 torpedoed and sunk off Savona.
Tons:3,427

Rhiw.com
23rd February 2006, 13:28
Ahoy.

I would say Cayo with a C, if this is the one you're looking for:

Caledonier (1)1901
ex- CAYO BONITO,
1916 purchased by BGL, London from Cuban SS Co. (E. Bigland & Co.),
London renamed CALEDONIER,
1917 name reverted to CAYO BONITO, same owner.
11th Oct.1917 torpedoed and sunk off Savona.
Tons:3,427
That's absolutely brilliant, Have been searching for this information for a long time, you have made our day Ruud, Many Thanks, Tony (Thumb)

ruud
23rd February 2006, 13:59
Ahoy Tony,

Glad being able to help you out on this request,you're welcome, in return to all your fine piccies of your site.
It's worth a visit;
http://www.rhiw.com/website_maps/ships_photos.htm

Billy1963
23rd February 2006, 17:18
CUNNINGHAM, Wireless Operator, FREDERICK ROBERTS CORNELIUS, S.S. "Cayo Bonito" (London). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 11th October 1917. Age 17. Son of Cornelius Shearer Cunningham and Rebecca Simpson Cunningham, of 12, Meadowbank Terrace, Edinburgh. Born at Holytown, Lanark.

EIGSINI, Fireman and Trimmer, E, S.S. "Cayo Bonito" (London). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 11th October 1917. Age 24. Born in Greece.

EVANS, Ordinary Seaman (and Lamps), JOHN, S.S. "Cayo Bonito" (London). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 11th October 1917. Age 17. Son of Evan Jones Evans and Eliza-beth Evans, of Isgraig, Sarn, Meillteyrn, Carnarvonshire.

HARPER, Second Engineer, WILLIAM DAVID, S.S. "Cayo Bonito" (London). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 11th October 1917. Age 31. Son of Jane and the late William Henry Harper; husband of Mary Anna Harper (nee Harries), of 3, Grange Town, Cardigan. Born at St. Dogmells, Cardigan.

KULL, Fireman and Trimmer, MARTIN, S.S. "Cayo Bonito" (London). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 11th October 1917. Age 24. Son of the late Jacob Kull; husband of Florence May Kull (nee Richards), of 56, Tymawr St., Port Tennant, Swansea. Born at Cowland, Russia.

ROBERTS, Carpenter, FREDERICK HENRY, S.S. "Cayo Bonito" (London). Mercantile Marine. Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, 11th October 1917. Age 21. Son of Henry and Jane Roberts, of Bodavon, Sarn Merllteyrn, Pwllheli, Carnarvonshire. Born at Aberdaron, Carnarvonshire.

Rhiw.com
23rd February 2006, 19:50
Hi, I just can't thank you both enough, the two men I mentioned were, John Evans and Frederick Roberts, both from the village of Sarn on the Llyn Peninsula. There is a memorial for them in the local church yard, and up to today we had no idea what had happened to them, Many thanks once again, Best Regards Tony (Thumb)