Takliwa wreck

Aristo
23rd February 2006, 09:48
In 1924 a typhoon left the Takliwa stranded in Nicobar Islands. The ship was left with her stern high and dry and bows submerged. A fire that might be attributed to looting by locals attributed to her abandonement. Does anyone knows what happened to her wreck? If she was scrapped on the spot or simply left to the elements?

ruud
23rd February 2006, 10:57
Ahoy Aristo,

Do you mean this one?

TAKLIWA
1924-1945

Pas: 56 1st, 80 2nd, 3302 deck.
1945 stranded and burnt out Nicobar Islands

Aristo
23rd February 2006, 12:06
Yes this is the one, of course the year of the accident was 1945 not 1924 which was the year of completion. Sorry my mistake (EEK)

There are some pictures of the burning wreck at:
http://www.datatechdtp.co.uk/html/swpage14.html

ruud
23rd February 2006, 12:46
Ahoy Aristo,

Here some more details:

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=4062

tom e kelso
28th February 2006, 20:30
I seem to recollect that the wreck of the TAKLIWA was described as "prominent" in the Bay of Bengal Pilot (Sailing Directions) in the 1950's.

The following is an extract form Laxon & Perry's fleet history of the BI:-
"It was ironic that, having survived all the perils of the war years, the TAKLIWA should be lost within a month of the final surrender of Japan. She had taken onboard 800 Indian ex-POW's at Hong Kong to return to Madras, when she ran into a southwest gale in the Bay of Bengal and in the early hours of the morning of 15th October 1945 grounded on Parson's Point, Great Nicobar Island. Fire broke out in the stokehold an hour later and, although all were got safely off and taken on board the landing ship HMS SAINFOIN, the ship was completely burnt out. She subsequently broke her back and had to be abandoned as a total loss"

Tom

BISNENG
3rd April 2007, 08:27
The BI had a magazine titled "BI News" published between 1950 and 1971 and in issue No43 for April 1965 is an article by Captain R Trimble detailing some of Takliwa's war time activities. This includes her wrecking and two of the photographs used in "Sainfoin's War" history. As a foot note, the editor comments that "Mr.Foden, Manager of BI's Passenger department was an officer in Sainfoin at the time."
Draw your own conclusions.

Charnosahib
6th January 2008, 03:25
I hava photograph of a painting of the Takliwa, which I could post on this site if you'd like.
Charnosahib

John Briggs
6th January 2008, 09:24
Charnosahib,

All photos, paintings, etc. of ships are appreciated on this site. Please go ahead and post it!

probinso
14th October 2008, 16:46
I was interested to read the posts regarding the Takliwa. An interesting note is that I have the ships bell from the Takliwa. Some how my Grandfather ended up with it on his fishing trawl which sailed out of Grimsby, Lincolnshire. I am at a loss to know how it ended up on his boat. Since my Grandfather and my Father have passed away the facts may never be known.